Star Wars Episode IX

Red Five

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I mean, yeah. the Sith Rey is obviously supposed to be the big "wow" thing in this reel, but does anyone actually believe Rey is going to the dark side?

Come on. It's clearly like a dark side force vision or otherwise some kind of shot that's clearly a misdirection.

(Little black kid meme): That’s Reysith!!!

Best comments I've seen so far (from io9):

Both the Imperial Star Destroyers and weird Rey fuckery further lend credence to the hilarious RedLetterMedia theory that J.J. Abrams is injecting time travel into this. 

And if he does, I am going to revel in the fact that 2 shlubs from Milwaukee called him out on his dumb-ass months in advance of the release.

• The Millenium Falcon has the old version of a dish that was broken in Return of Jedi. This part was replaced with a different looking dish, but now it’s back to the original in the teaser.
  • Rey has Luke’s Lightsaber which was destroyed in the last film.
  • Palpatine is back, obvious conclusion is force ghost, but could be time travel.
  • “1,000 generations live in you now” line
  • J.J. Abrams fucking loves time travel and has used it in practically every major story he’s creatively controlled.

You know - the pre-ROTJ stuff doesn't *necessarily* mean time travel.  They could very easily do like flashback/prologue that sets up whatever story he wants to tell... or they could like a Godfather Part II deal where they are simultaneously telling two interrelated stories that are happening like 40 years apart?

I know that would be an unusual choice for Star Wars, but it makes more sense than time travel.

3 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

I think the real villain has been revealed, and it's C-3PO. I mean, look at those red eyes!

zc3opxmtmuogeukjhety.png

Triple Zero confirmed

500?cb=20161122021211

Also anyone else noticed Kylo and Rey are fighting on top of the wreckage of the second death star?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

To be serious for a moment. It looks like dark Rey is standing in a very similar entrance to what “Darth Vader” was standing in during “the cave” scene.

Wait, does JJ have a history of almost identically copying aspects of what we loved from the original trilogy?

So what if the Republic re-arms itself with Imperial Star Destroyers.

And what if, in an effort to defeat the First Order, the New Republic grows itself to a much larger size and power.

And what if, to make sure that something like the First Order doesn't come back, the New Republic finds it has to ruthlessly crush any and all dissent.

And what if, to ensure stability and peace, the New Republic has to take on an imperial-like structure of power and oppression.

And what if, since hey are having to take over entire planets to keep the First Order from coming back, the New Republic starts referring to itself as The Empire.

That's some fucking poetry right there.  Staring into the abyss and all of that.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 8/25/2019 at 10:57 AM, Lobo said:

They've always had time travel in the Star Wars series.  It's called the Jump to Hyperspace via Lightspeed.  You can go really fast to get from one end of the galaxy to the other in mere minutes.  What will be introduced in this final installment will be a Lightspeed system so powerful, you can travel forward in time.  I dunno.  Poster does kick ass though. 

Everybody is always traveling forward in time. 

21 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

To be serious for a moment. It looks like dark Rey is 

a clone

I was 100% serious about that. I think they're going to jam as much EU stuff in this as they can, the same way they're going to jam as much nostalgia stuff as they can. They are trying to give you ANYTHING you will like so you'll ultimately give the movie a thumbs-up and they can stop the PR/brand reputation bleeding.

I expect this last one to be pointless and mostly incoherent, but with so much fan service that it will swamp The Last Jedi's audience score.

2 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

a clone

I was 100% serious about that. I think they're going to jam as much EU stuff in this as they can, the same way they're going to jam as much nostalgia stuff as they can. They are trying to give you ANYTHING you will like so you'll ultimately give the movie a thumbs-up and they can stop the PR/brand reputation bleeding.

I expect this last one to be pointless and mostly incoherent, but with so much fan service that it will swamp The Last Jedi's audience score.

Keri Russell's character  needs to be revealed as Mara Jade.  That would send the Star Wars part of the internet into a collective orgasm, and TLJ would be completely forgotten.

spacer.png

That trailer made me very sad. I guess ten year old me doesn’t want it to be over, despite all the ups and downs over the last forty years.

I did not expect to have that reaction.

It was over in 1983 with ROTJ. Prime Harrison Ford and Lawrence Kasdan aren’t walking through the door.

It’s all analogous to watching the 2018-19 Knicks play in Madison Square Garden. Yeah, Earl Monroe and Patrick Ewing were great back in the day.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Viper said:

zc3opxmtmuogeukjhety.png

Triple Zero confirmed

500?cb=20161122021211

Also anyone else noticed Kylo and Rey are fighting on top of the wreckage of the second death star?

amid a swirling cgi sea.

they still don't understand how lightsaber duels work and what they are supposed to represent. hell, even george forgot what they were about.  

they aren't about the special effects.

i'll still go, but i'm getting grumpy about it.

Edited by hayden_horn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

I'm pot committed at this point.  

I don't think it'll be good, but I have to see it in case it is.

It'll be good in the same way that TFA was good.  A good solid Star Wars story that won't be original in any way but will stoke nostalgia for the OT.  J.J. won't take any risks like Rian did... he's basically gonna "shut up and play the hits" and fanboys will probably like it. :)

I'm honestly WAY more interested in what Dave Filoni and the teams working on the other Star Wars projects are doing at this point, as opposed to the Skywalker saga films.

The Mandalorian looks awesome and I'm also very excited about the upcoming Cassian/K2SO and Obi-Wan series.

God I hope he doesn't take any chances like the last moron did. I'll go see this one mostly out of nostalgia and because my 11 year old son will want to.  I do not have high hopes at all that it will be good, but you never know. 

It would be entertaining at least if they did an Avengers style time heist. Go back and grab Luke before he pussed himself and disappeared, go back and get Vader (if he can be convinced of Emperor’s evil and betrayal) or pre-Vader Anakin (lol Hayden Christiansen probably could use some work), ROTS era Obi Wan, Yoda in his prime, Samuel L Jackson....then drop a super team on the First Order’s ass. 

It would be entertaining at least if they did an Avengers style time heist. Go back and grab Luke before he pussed himself and disappeared, go back and get Vader (if he can be convinced of Emperor’s evil and betrayal) or pre-Vader Anakin (lol Hayden Christiansen probably could use some work), ROTS era Obi Wan, Yoda in his prime, Samuel L Jackson....then drop a super team on the First Order’s ass. 

Sounds more like Bill and Ted
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

obiwanfacepalm.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well this is interesting.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2019/09/26/and-now-kevin-feige-is-making-a-star-wars-movie

bmd-logo-tall.png

And Now Kevin Feige Is Making A STAR WARS Movie

This was probably inevitable.

By SCOTT WAMPLER Sep. 26, 2019 

26Shares
facebook.svg
twitter.svg
reddit.svg
flipboard.svg
email.svg

Late yesterday evening, The Hollywood Reporter revealed the following: Kevin Feige, mastermind of the MCU and owner of 10,000 unique baseball caps, has signed on to develop a new Star Wars film, one which will be amongst an as-yet-undetermined number of new Star Wars films being planned in the wake of JJ Abrams' Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.

In a statement to THR, Walt Disney Studios co-chairman and chief creative officer Alan Horn said:

"We are excited about the projects Kathy and the Lucasfilm team are working on, not only in terms of Star Wars but also Indiana Jones and reaching into other parts of the company including Children of Blood and Bone with Emma Watts and Fox. With the close of the Skywalker Saga, Kathy is pursuing a new era in Star Wars storytelling, and knowing what a die-hard fan Kevin is, it made sense for these two extraordinary producers to work on a Star Wars film together."

Obviously, this news has generated no small amount of industry chatter: is Feige taking his first steps towards one day taking over Lucasfilm? THR says "a top Disney source" tells them that Kennedy remains firmly in charge (with no plans for a baton-passing), but one suspects this denial will not end the chatter. For now, we're prepared to take all of the above at face value. il

Then there's this:

"One knowledgeable source says Feige has told a major actor that there’s a specific role he would like that person to play if and when he makes the movie."

Now, see, this is where we can do some fun speculation: who might this "major actor" be? The fact that Feige already has an actor in mind indicates he also has an idea what kind of story his Star Wars film will be telling. The actor could be just about anyone (Robert Downey Jr.?) and their role could be entirely new (it feels unlikely that this would be a prequel situation), so sound off with your best guesses - hell, let's hear your Most Wanted! - in the comments below. 

Stay tuned for more on this, whatever this turns out to be, as further updates become available.

(Note: Header photo by Gage Skidmore, used w/ permission via Wikimedia Commons)

I'm excited for what Star Wars does next.  The best Star Wars storytelling over the past decade has been done outside of the main "Skywalker" saga films:

• Clone Wars
  • Rebels
  • Rogue One
  • Solo (F the haters - it was a fun little film)
  • The Mandalorian (probably - looks fucking awesome based on the clips and cast)

I think freeing storytellers from "weight" of the "Skywalker saga" will be a very good thing.

• Like 1