Cryptocurrencies (Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, etc.)

surlybevo

14 hours ago, bernorange said:

Outside of learning more about their tech, what exactly do you earn in $/mo in running a node? I’m reading online about people estimating $1/mo assuming an average PC/GPU.

42 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Outside of learning more about their tech, what exactly do you earn in $/mo in running a node? I’m reading online about people estimating $1/mo assuming an average PC/GPU.

"Running a node" can range in sophistication from installing their software on a PC that you run in the background while you use the PC for other things, to building dedicated (racks of) PCs with purpose built hardware specs.

A little over a month ago I simply downloaded the Edge Node software onto a laptop that I use sporadically to give it a test.  I have been running the laptop during the day (I shut it down over night).  This laptop is nothing fancy (it's *not* a gaming rig with NVIDIA CUDA enabled GPU).  It's generating around  0.4 TFUEL a day.  I doubt this covers the cost of electricity, but maybe - I'm not sure how much the laptop is drawing to be honest.

A few weeks ago, I grabbed a refurbished PC off amazon with an NVIDIA CUDA supported GPU for just a little more than what the graphics card would have cost by itself.  I set it up as my new email/internets browsing machine (I needed to replace my old machine anyway) and keep it running 24/7.  It's earning around 1.2 TFUEL per day since May 1 (when they started rolling out 3D rendering jobs).

I learned just this morning that if you stake 10,000 TFUEL on your Edge Node, supposedly you will get 4x more jobs (and consequently, TFUEL).  I have not tested that out.

What I can say is that the Edge Node software is pretty much dummy proof easy to install and run (no real configuration options/issues) and it works seemlessly in the background while you use your PC like you normally would.  Essentially, there is zero reason not to run it if you are working on a computer all day anyway.

5 minutes ago, bernorange said:

A few weeks ago, I grabbed a refurbished PC off amazon with an NVIDIA CUDA supported GPU for just a little more than what the graphics card would have cost by itself.  I set it up as my new email/internets browsing machine (I needed to replace my old machine anyway) and keep it running 24/7.  It's earning around 1.2 TFUEL per day since May 1 (when they started rolling out 3D rendering jobs).

I learned just this morning that if you stake 10,000 TFUEL on your Edge Node, supposedly you will get 4x more jobs (and consequently, TFUEL).  I have not tested that out.

What I can say is that the Edge Node software is pretty much dummy proof easy to install and run (no real configuration options/issues) and it works seemlessly in the background while you use your PC like you normally would.  Essentially, there is zero reason not to run it if you are working on a computer all day anyway

I'd be interested to see that plugged into a Kill-A-Watt to get power consumption for the rig. If it's an older PC there's a good chance you're losing money once you factor in the heat put off by the machine that you have to run your AC to clear. 

The PCs are not running 100% all the time.  I can hear the fan kick on for about 10-15 seconds when it processes a job once an hour or so.  It's really not taxing the computer or generating excessive heat. 

Not a lot going on price-wise. A lot going on as far as regulation and enforcement.

The Executive Branch has been attacking on multiple fronts. The current one is openly hostile. I agree with Bully here. SEC also DOJ. 

They arrested the founders and operators of the Samourai wallet and whirlpool mixing service. 

It all harkens back to an old legal fight. Due to precedent, I (non lawyer) don't think it will be quite the slam dunk that the usual fed money laundering cases are. 

• Fuck You 1

For the Surly crypto "no value / use case" derp crowd:

Vladimir Putin just won his fifth term as Russian president, though the 87% landslide election victory has been labeled preordained, stage-managed and a farce.

Now, exiled opposition leader Mark Feygin is leading an effort to give Russians an anonymous, blockchain-powered way to register a "protest vote" against Putin.

The results of this effort would, of course, have no legal weight in Russia and would not end Putin's presidency per se, but the referendum could, in theory, give a public relations boost to efforts to oust him. And it gives Russians a way to voice criticism in a nation where the consequences of dissent can be high; opposition leader Alexei Navalny recently died while jailed in an Arctic penal colony.

The vote will be conducted on an app called Russia2024, built using Rarimo’s Freedom Tool, which will use the Arbitrum blockchain and zero-knowledge cryptography, making voters' identities untraceable.

“Dissent in Russia is growing more risky and public opinion harder to track,” Feygin said in a statement. He was exiled from Russia years ago, termed a foreign agent in 2022 and remains a wanted person in Russia. He is a former lawyer for the founders of the protest collective Pussy Riot. “It is critical that we provide reliable, surveillance-proof avenues for protest and polling. Russia2024 and its underlying technology has enabled that,” he added.

Only holders of Russian passports will be able to cast their vote. Around 34.6 million Russians have a valid passport.

Users will need to download the Russia2024 app and prove their citizenship by scanning their passports with their phones. The passports have a biometric chip that the tool uses to confirm the voter's identity and facilitate an anonymous vote. If a person doesn’t own a smartphone, a single phone can be used as a shared voting machine.

Voting will be allowed for about two weeks, and the backers behind the tool are “sure” it is a secure way to vote and that voters don't need to fear repercussions.

https://www.coindesk.com/policy/2024/05/10/exiled-russian-opposition-leader-launches-blockchain-based-referendum-on-vladimir-putins-election-win/

Arbitrium is a layer 2 blockchain that is built on Ethereum.

40 minutes ago, bernorange said:

For the Surly crypto "no value / use case" derp crowd:

https://www.coindesk.com/policy/2024/05/10/exiled-russian-opposition-leader-launches-blockchain-based-referendum-on-vladimir-putins-election-win/

Arbitrium is a layer 2 blockchain that is built on Ethereum.

$20 in gas fees to register a vote that doesn't matter? 

Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

And if(when) big vladdy finds out you participated, off to the gulag you go.

Users will need to download the Russia2024 app and prove their citizenship by scanning their passports with their phones. The passports have a biometric chip that the tool uses to confirm the voter's identity and facilitate an anonymous vote. If a person doesn’t own a smartphone, a single phone can be used as a shared voting machine.

Voting will be allowed for about two weeks, and the backers behind the tool are “sure” it is a secure way to vote and that voters don't need to fear repercussions.

Lra.gif.d0406cac42065cb35538678c7bc41ec7.gif

• Haha 1

... using Rarimo’s Freedom Tool, which will use the Arbitrum blockchain and zero-knowledge cryptography, making voters' identities untraceable. ...

Freedom Tool is a Rarimo-built open-source software for citizen-run, anonymized elections and polls. It has solved the long-standing technical challenge of enabling digital identity checks while also protecting citizens from tracking. Anyone, anywhere, can use it to build voting systems outside of state apparatus. This will provide safe outlets for silenced people to express dissent and is part of a broader effort to embed privacy into the digital world.
With Freedom Tool, citizens prove their eligibility by scanning their biometric passports with their phones. Freedom Tool verifies the data on the NFC chip inside the passport and after confirming that it is legitimate issues an anonymous voting pass. The citizen then uses this pass to cast their vote.

Zero-knowledge cryptography is used to sever any link between the voting pass and the passport data so that the two cannot be paired. When the ID and the voting pass cannot be paired, neither can the citizen and their vote.

Privacy is further ensured by the fact that it is only the voting pass that interacts with any external voting apparatus. The passport data never leaves the mobile device used for scanning. This means that the data never passes through a server, and that there are no points where it could be intercepted.

Freedom Tool uses blockchain to protect votes from rigging. All votes are published directly onto the blockchain where they are both tamper-proof and publicly auditable.

A more detailed technical description can be found here in the White Paper.

https://rarimo.medium.com/introducing-freedom-tool-15709e9eaa73

Derp!

On 5/10/2024 at 3:36 PM, bernorange said:

Arbitrium is a layer 2 blockchain built on top of Ethereum.  Arbitrium gas fees are negligible:

https://arbitrum.dex.guru/gastracker

0.01 GWEI = ~$0.007 (seven tenths of a cent)

Put the guy on ignore, he's only in the thread to shit on it. He adds no value here.

It sounds like they set up validator nodes to implement a MEV scheme.  What I'm curious about after reading that report is why they only let the scheme run for 12 seconds.

See 2 posts here (linked post and the following post) for more details on MEV schemes:

https://www.pmbug.com/threads/ethereum-eth.7221/post-81772