Surly official camping and backpacking thread

Chuychanga

Found online that trail is closed from molas pass to durango....not sure what you decided tacky but looks like southern colorado is out

Appearing like i wont bother with trail this year....might monitor for a bit and see if i just want to do the collegiate loop

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Found online that trail is closed from molas pass to durango....not sure what you decided tacky but looks like southern colorado is out

Appearing like i wont bother with trail this year....might monitor for a bit and see if i just want to do the collegiate loop

Definitely do the loop. It will kick your ass still, be epic, and provide some amazing scenery. 

• Like 1

Durango is our non-BSA target (or, was).  We are eyeballing what's going on up there very closely. 

My personal preference is Northern Tier, but a couple of the kids on our Philmont trek just did Northern Tier last summer and aren't as anxious to go as we are.  We've been up there for Okpik, so we know the scenery and can imagine how difficult it would be.  

Another option would be to call Buffalo Trail Scout Ranch between Balmorhea and Fort Davis and ask if we could come out there and do their boundary trail.

Edited by Saint Tacky
added BTSR

23 minutes ago, Txlc said:

FYI, our troop is going to BTSR this month and they have closed off most of the spring and camping sites for repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Troop enjoyed BTSR so much last summer, that they wanted to go back this summer; however, the "boy led Troop" was hijacked by a Mom with an agenda and they are going to Constantine. 

We were caught in a flash-flood on a trek to "the Needle" and 99% of the kids will tell you it was their favorite part of the entire trip.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Funny how you never know what the scouts will enjoy the most. We did Constantine a while back and all the adult leaders hated it. The scouts thought it was great. Good luck with your trip this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Yeah that appears to be the plan...definitely need some mountains after planning and reading for 5 months

Lighter food and water carries since i can just hit all the towns on the loop

Sucks that your thru-hike got derailed, but that's part of the journey I guess.  Adaptation.  Definitely do Collegiate Loop.

Since we don't have a dedicated Boy Scout thread, I'll post here.  At last night's Court of Honor, it was announced that our troop is going to allow girls starting in 2019.  It is being driven by 2 dads.  They approached the Greater LA council, who then shoved it down our troops throat.  It will be very interesting to see how it will work.  It has not been decided if they will form a separate patrol withing the troop or be integrated into existing patrols.  

Another sign that I am losing my America.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Since we don't have a dedicated Boy Scout thread, I'll post here.  At last night's Court of Honor, it was announced that our troop is going to allow girls starting in 2019.  It is being driven by 2 dads.  They approached the Greater LA council, who then shoved it down our troops throat.  It will be very interesting to see how it will work.  It has not been decided if they will form a separate patrol withing the troop or be integrated into existing patrols.  

I'm sure you'll be ok.

Just putting it out there that since the fires ruined my thru hike i decided im not going to do collegiate loop either

Want to do it all in one go instead of getting to the loop and being like i have already done this...plus my car going in shop took a chunk of my $$$

So have another year to wait

18 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Just putting it out there that since the fires ruined my thru hike i decided im not going to do collegiate loop either

Want to do it all in one go instead of getting to the loop and being like i have already done this...plus my car going in shop took a chunk of my $$$

So have another year to wait

Ah drag.  At least you have time to really refine your gear now. 

I'm heading to Mt Rainier next week, but just for a day.  Will try to remember to post pics anyway.

4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Its probably stated in the other thread but girls in BSA require their own troop/patrols/scoutmaster.  Girl and Boy troops within a chartered org can share a committee but thats about it.  They can't just join a regular troop and be put into a patrol. 

Only Venturing (age 14-21) is co-ed.

This graphic explains it fairly well.

https://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Family-Scouting_Infographic_v10-1.pdf

Edited by davidg
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, davidg said:

Its probably stated in the other thread but girls in BSA require their own troop/patrols/scoutmaster.  Girl and Boy troops within a chartered org can share a committee but thats about it.  They can't just join a regular troop and be put into a patrol. 

Only Venturing (age 14-21) is co-ed.

This graphic explains it fairly well.

https://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Family-Scouting_Infographic_v10-1.pdf

This is very interesting, and I am quite certain our Troop leader is not aware of this.  Thanks.

School me on Big Bend  walk up campsites in the Basin. What’s the best strategy for getting one?  Check in time is 1pm according to the website.  If we are there right at 1pm will it be a madhouse of folks running to campsites to claim them?  Do you claim it by plopping your stuff on it or at an office?  What should I do to increase my chances of getting the spot I want?

thanks

You want the ones by the parking lot or they ones you have to hike up to?

If ones by lot i would put gear on spot early and then head to office and request that spot

The ones up the trail a bit i would go to office first before you carry gear up

If office gives you a spot but someone else claimed it you would get spot

Thanks. I’m looking for a tent site on any of the car loops in the basin.   My kids and I may do a back country site on the south rim one night but I think I know the process for that: get a reservation in person the day prior, 1st come 1st served.  But my Dad is going to stay in the basin campground while we do that.  Every reservable site is booked, so the walk-up only non-reserveable sites (not to be confused with the back country hike-in sites)  are my only option.  Check in time is 1pm, check out time is noon.  I guess we’ll just show up in the late morning and see what’s open and who may be leaving.  

Chuy, what day of the week are you arriving? If it's a weekday, including Friday, you shouldn't have a problem at or before 1:00 pm.

In 2016, I had 5+ sites to choose from at 3:00 pm on Friday of July 4th weekend. You may not have a wide selection, but you should get a spot. The process is to pick your site and register/pay at the self-serve box at the entrance to the campground area.

Summertime demand is low in Big Bend. Most folks don't realize that the daytime highs in the basin are a dry 90, and the nights are cool.

On 6/21/2018 at 11:19 AM, Sbbruin said:

There are actually four Scout programs that are co-ed.  Venturer Guides, Sea Scouting, Exploring, and Learning for Life. 

Nothing will change and the sky isn't falling.  I tell parents in our Troop that if you believe in Scouting, then you must believe that spreading the ideology, challenges, and advantages of Scouting is a good thing.  The world needs more people that believe in and abide by the Scout Oath and Scout Law, not less.

Let me know how it goes.

• Like 1

No talk of that dad getting murdered in his tent?  Jesus fuck that's scary.   (Although who knows if it was random) 

Anyways, I always thought there to be a code in camping,  otherwise you wouldn't be able to leave hundreds of dollars of gear left unattended, or you wouldn't be able to sleep knowing there's nothing between you an an serial killer but  a thin nylon fabric.  

• 2 weeks later...

Now taking suggestions for a trek for our Scout Troop over the long-weekend preceding Thanksgiving .  We typically go out to Palo Duro Canyon, and are thinking about substituting McKittrick Canyon/Guadalupe Peak instead, but I'm all ears.  Must be within driving distance of DFW (within 10 hours, because per BSA "[d]riving time is limited to a maximum of 10 hours in one 24-hour period regardless of the number of drivers available).   Also, we are doing Eagle Rock Loop in February 2019, so that's out.  THANKS

Now taking suggestions for a trek for our Scout Troop over the long-weekend preceding Thanksgiving .  We typically go out to Palo Duro Canyon, and are thinking about substituting McKittrick Canyon/Guadalupe Peak instead, but I'm all ears.  Must be within driving distance of DFW (within 10 hours, because per BSA "[d]riving time is limited to a maximum of 10 hours in one 24-hour period regardless of the number of drivers available).   Also, we are doing Eagle Rock Loop in February 2019, so that's out.  THANKS

What is the size of the troop?

Depends on the trek.  For instance, last year we split the troop and let the younger kids do Guadalupe Peak, and the older kids did the canyon. So, we had about 18 kids total.  If it's too daunting, or if there's not an easier option, the younger kids will stay home and we'll get about 9 or 10 older kids going.

I was just gonna say that GUMO does have several backcountry campgrounds, all of varying sizes. Depending on number of tents you could maybe find one that would fit everyone, if not you could split up into two groups like you said, but it sounds like you probably know this already.

Trying to do something in Big Bend might be a little tough, unless you do primitive sites.

I'm wanting to go up to Rocky Mountain National Park in a couple of weeks to camp.  Obviously the main campgrounds are already full.  Anyone know about what my chances would be to get a spot at Long's Peak Campground if I arrived on a Wednesday?

4 hours ago, txhorns said:

I'm wanting to go up to Rocky Mountain National Park in a couple of weeks to camp.  Obviously the main campgrounds are already full.  Anyone know about what my chances would be to get a spot at Long's Peak Campground if I arrived on a Wednesday?

Better than they would be arriving Friday.  But it is summer.  You'll likely have to take what is there.  

There is a great campground outside the park called Olive Ridge that you'll probably have better luck with.  And it's much nicer than the campgrounds in the park.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Better than they would be arriving Friday.  But it is summer.  You'll likely have to take what is there.  

There is a great campground outside the park called Olive Ridge that you'll probably have better luck with.  And it's much nicer than the campgrounds in the park.

I have stayed at Olive Ridge before.

• Like 1

i’ve rolled into Long’s Peak campground a couple times with no reservations. Just have to be there early. #8 has killer view.

I'm slowly buying gear for a 5 day Grand Canyon trip next Spring. 
The exact plan is not yet set, but will be hiking down day 1, spend several days hiking in the canyon, then back out. 

I've car-camped a lot, but never backpacked. 

Since I have time, I've been waiting on sales and deals and trying to get a good price/weight/quality balance. 

So far I have (which can all still be returned):
pack: REI flash 65 - 3#10oz ($99/sale)
tent: REI quarter dome 2 - 3#5oz ($244/sale)
pad: sea to summit UL insulated 15.5oz ($97/sale)

I don't have a sleeping bag yet, but considering the Enlightened Equipment Revelation 20 deg quilt @20oz ($285). 

This puts me at 9#2.5oz  for my big 4. 
I weigh about 145. 

Do I need to lighten this up? Or am I doing ok so far? 

For an extra $100 I could shave 1#6oz on the tent with:
Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL2 - 1#15oz - $350

Similarly, for backpack I could shave 15oz for $120 more with:
Osprey Exos 58 - 2#11oz - $220 

That would get me down to 6#13.5oz

I still have to buy all the rest of the gear I'll need, so am somewhat price sensitive, but don't want to cheap out at the expense of being miserable either.. 

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by BillyBadAss