2018 Houston Astros Season Thread

Planet Houston

48 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

They pointed out in the second inning that Springer was using one of Altuve's bats.

Caught that segment about using number 27 bat. Interesting enough, the bat had an axe handle. Also enjoyed Gattis broken bat on a check swing. Dude then went for the yellow stick. Enjoying these games. Go Astros

Springer normally uses an axe-handled bat. So does Correa. Reddick says he got out of his slump using Springer's bat, but went back to his own and started hitting extra base hits.

Looks like Altuve is starting to use one too, or at least has it in his arsenal.

28 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Springer normally uses an axe-handled bat. So does Correa. Reddick says he got out of his slump using Springer's bat, but went back to his own and started hitting extra base hits.

Looks like Altuve is starting to use one too, or at least has it in his arsenal.

I was about to suggest some of the guys try this instead:

http://www.thecostumer.com/p-17901-jumbo-fly-swatter.aspx

Honestly, I'm more excited about Alvarez's future as a hitter than Tucker's, although Tucker offers more value defensively.  The best power in the minors with an above average hit tool to boot.  His ceiling is David Ortiz, imo.  

Meanwhile, the Rangers are relying on yearly underperformers and their most recent draft picks to save them. lol

https://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/texas-rangers-top-10-prospects-updated/

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 1

I know you have to give to get but I really don’t want to give up Whitely, Tucker or Alvarez in any trade scenario.  Yuli is like 33 or so. We will need to restock top of rotation and we need/will need an outfielder. Those 3 potentially keep us in hunt for years to come. I don’t think we will trade one this year. But...trust the Luhnow.

We ain't giving up Whitley, or Tucker. I don't think we'd give up Alvarez but he maybe a more "yes" than a "no", depending on the trade piece but I don't see anyone in the upper tier that we'd go after. i could be wrong though

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

Only trade I could see Alvarez involved in would be for Realmuto, but I think it's more likely they sign a free agent in the off-season (Grandal would be my pick) to platoon with Stassi.  

I think there’s a chance they might just try to roll with Stasi/Stubbs next year.

2 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I know you have to give to get but I really don’t want to give up Whitely, Tucker or Alvarez in any trade scenario.  Yuli is like 33 or so. We will need to restock top of rotation and we need/will need an outfielder. Those 3 potentially keep us in hunt for years to come. I don’t think we will trade one this year. But...trust the Luhnow.

Who would we even trade for?  We don't need anything.  No way we're giving up one of those 3.

Realmuto is the only piece I see as realistically some kind of major deal being made. But if we need to get a catcher I would look at Ramos if Miami is intent on one of those three back. Ramos would be cheaper and is almost as good offensively. But I don’t see any player publicly mentioned as available that I would trade our top guys for at the moment 

3 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Astros traded Hoyt to Cleveland for minor league RHP Tommy DeJuneas. 

The 40 man now stands at 38 players. Is there a bigger move imminent?

sounds like Lunhow's getting the pieces all lined for the trade deadline.  Expect us to get better.

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I think there’s a chance they might just try to roll with Stassi/Stubbs next year.

I really like platooning at catcher given that you will likely need to play two guys >50 games each given the demands of the position.  The Astros made a similar gamble on Stassi this season and things have worked out.  My only worry about Stubbs (besides, of course, not having proven himself at the MLB level) is that his breakout this year is BABIP fueled and he hasn't shown in his career as being a high BABIP guy (like Kemp, Straw, etc.), so it could just be a mirage.  The Astros' internal options would also be pretty limited if Stubbs struggles at the plate, although at catcher, and Stubbs is known for being a good receiver, that is something you can live with. 

I guess it will just depend on how much money Luhnow has to spend...but if they were willing to give Joe Smith $15 million, I don't know why they wouldn't be willing to give slightly more money to someone like Grandal over a couple of seasons, if he's available.

He probably will given his size, but he's a surprisingly good athlete and a legit corner OF at his current weight.  Would be nice if he could stick there but obviously not a big deal for someone with his bat.  

time to scoop up tickets for the game tomorrow. lol

Edited by Fozzz

I don’t think they have much faith in Kemp moving forward and calling him up now could at least let them test drive Tucker before the trade deadline. If he struggles then I wouldn’t be surprised if to see if they pick up a proven rental bat for LF. 

13 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

I don’t think they have much faith in Kemp moving forward and calling him up now could at least let them test drive Tucker before the trade deadline. If he struggles then I wouldn’t be surprised if to see if they pick up a proven rental bat for LF. 

23 minutes ago, Stros said:

Tucker Time??!!???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it, although I can't see another move on the 25 man roster that would make since. Giles getting moved? Tucker is hot, so lets bring him up and see what he can do. FOZZ, I don't see Kemp going anywhere. He's earned his kemp or keep.

If Kemp gets demoted, but Fat Tyler White stays on the team I will break things. Kemp sparked our offense when he was called up and he has been a consistent positive (most recent example was last night with him drawing the lead off walk in the 9th)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Jograves said:

Astros traded Hoyt to Cleveland for minor league RHP Tommy DeJuneas. 

The 40 man now stands at 38 players. Is there a bigger move imminent?

3 hours ago, MAROON said:

sounds like Lunhow's getting the pieces all lined for the trade deadline.  Expect us to get better.

This. Freaking Luhnow is playing Chess while everyone else is playing Cards. The astros milb is so strong.The only org in our division even close is Oakland and they not in the rear view mirror.

5 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:

If Kemp gets demoted, but Fat Tyler White stays on the team I will break things. Kemp sparked our offense when he was called up and he has been a consistent positive (most recent example was last night with him drawing the lead off walk in the 9th)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why do you do this to yourself.

Dam, that's the move. White is being sent down.