Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

I said he should be shouted down everywhere he goes forever. He should.
I didnt say I would be the one to always do it. If I do see him in a public place, I will shout him down though. 
But you go ahead and shake hands with David Duke or whatever it is you do down there.

What the fuck is the matter with you? I fucking agree with you on Kavanaugh but disagree with acting like an asshole in public, and so you randomly imply I’m some sort of racist? You need a break man.

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Unless there's a supreme court case coming up that Hatch even wrote an amicus brief on, that would extend presidential pardon power down to the state level?

Nah no reason he'd want Kavanaugh, who has written many opinions and papers in favor of expanding executive powers on the supreme court.

That isnt about allowing pardons of state crimes. Its about double jeopardy in cases where federal and state crimes are nearly identical.

For sexual assault, Kav would never be looking at federal charges. There is no double jeopardy.

FWIW, NY state already disallows a crime to be charged again in state court after federal acquittal/pardon.  This is why federal and state charges are being held right now for Trump org until 2021 or 5.

Are you going to pretend like Democrats won't be in power again?
And soon.
Come on.

Of course not. I’m well aware of how things work and I celebrate it. It’s one of the absolute best things about America. Every two years the people get to change the government. Plus I look forward to making fun of whomever is in power.

But you posted many times that they don’t have the votes and Kavanaugh won’t be confirmed. You do this a lot, you post the same one liner over and over like you’re trying to convince yourself.

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Kennedy is a real jurist.  Kavanaugh is a political operative, as he proved yesterday.  It's a bad change for the Court.   But, what goes around comes around. 

It does. Republicans will fight just as hard when a Democrat is appointing a liberal to tilt the ideological balance. We'll all get to see that.

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

Of course not. I’m well aware of how things work and I celebrate it. It’s one of the absolute best things about America. Every two years the people get to change the government. Plus I look forward to making fun of whomever is in power.

But you posted many times that they don’t have the votes and Kavanaugh won’t be confirmed. You do this a lot, you post the same one liner over and over like you’re trying to convince yourself.

I still don't think they have the votes. 

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. 

Edited by David Dennison

8 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

What the fuck is the matter with you? I fucking agree with you on Kavanaugh but disagree with acting like an asshole in public, and so you randomly imply I’m some sort of racist? You need a break man.

Didnt say you were a racist. I said you would be nice to David Duke in public. Youve done nothing to suggest otherwise. In fact, you keep doubling down on saying I need to be nice to Flake. 

But your way is what led us here.

Again, these are public officials. Theyve gotten this way because folks like you pretend they arent. But they are accountable to you. You are the public. Time to let them know how you feel. If Flake is an asshole in public, and he has been with this public vote, why shouldnt I return the favor?

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

LOLNO.

Actually he is correct. Kennedy's voting record is pretty reliably conservative. He gets this reputation from a couple decisions that people are attaching outsize importance to.

The swing vote on the court, Roberts, puts the center of gravity slightly left of what it has been for most of our lives actually, the early 00's where an outlier. Except from Armybrat. He lived through the 60's

It's not reasonable to have a process where an army with tens of thousands of soldiers and tens of millions of dollars is allowed to sort through thousands of allegations, pick the best ones, assign them to be sheperded by sophisticated operatives, keep them secret, and then dump them on the table at the last minute to delay, if not to defeat the nomination.  

• Fuck You 2

Just now, FondrenRoad said:

Didnt say you were a racist. I said you would be nice to David Duke in public. Youve done nothing to suggest otherwise. In fact, you keep doubling down on saying I need to be nice to Flake. 

Again, these are public officials. Theyve gotten this way because folks like you pretend they arent. But they are accountable to you. You are the public. Time to let them know how you feel. 

Screaming in their face isn't the way to let them know.  Its pretty simple.

• Like 1

Just now, MixtyMotions said:

It's not reasonable to have a process where an army with tens of thousands of soldiers and tens of millions of dollars is allowed to sort through thousands of allegations, pick the best ones, assign them to be sheperded by sophisticated operatives, keep them secret, and then dump them on the table at the last minute to delay, if not to defeat the nomination.  

And yet you support a party that does the same thing. In fact, your party invented ratfucking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Actually he is correct. Kennedy's voting record is pretty reliably conservative. He gets this reputation from a couple decisions that people are attaching outsize importance to.

The swing vote on the court, Roberts, puts the center of gravity slightly left of what it has been for most of our lives actually, the early 00's where an outlier. Except from Armybrat. He lived through the 60's

I'd be tickled pink to have nine Justices like Kennedy.

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Just a reminder that even if Kavanaugh is confirmed, it doesn't change the ideological make up of the court.

Kennedy was a conservative Republican.

Some seem to erroneously think that Kennedy was to the left of RBG.  While he wasn't Scalia or Thomas, the guy wasn't a friend of the liberals by any stretch.  The makeup will only incrementally change with Kavanaugh. 

There is also strong speculation that Roberts will move to the left on some issues just as he did with his ACA ruling.   Roberts apparently didn't want the SCOTUS to take down the ACA so he found a way to keep the mandate in place.  He could very well do the same with other major cases as well.   But I could be wrong.  

Again, these are public officials. Theyve gotten this way because folks like you pretend they arent. But they are accountable to you. You are the public. Time to let them know how you feel. If Flake is an asshole in public, and he has been with this public vote, why shouldnt I return the favor?

You get to do that every two years at the ballot box. You wanna make an ass out of yourself in public go for it. Take video. But you never, ever will because you’re just posturing.

Had a long talk with my wife yesterday.  She said she was physically ill from what she saw at the hearing.  She was an EMT in college at a small school and had to respond to a rape by a frat guy.  All this brought back those memories for her.  The frat all rallied around the guy, the girl's social acceptance hung in the balance based on pressing charges or not, she decides against going forward.  Panhellenic counsel says they can't do anything about it either.  Ends up at parties the rest of the time she was there with the unspoken agreement was you need to be okay with this or you can't be part of the social scene.  She said that is what she saw at the hearing yesterday.  Gross stuff.

24 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Why would they want to open themselves up to defamation lawsuits when they still can’t pricice a shred of evidence. 

Inguess that’s why Diane sat on the information until she needed to exploit Ford. She needs to step down. 

Their testimony is enough.  My guess is that he will find some friends to write some pretty big checks to shut them up.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Some seem to erroneously think that Kennedy was to the left of RBG.  While he wasn't Scalia or Thomas, the guy wasn't a friend of the liberals by any stretch.  The makeup will only incrementally change with Kavanaugh. 

There is also strong speculation that Roberts will move to the left on some issues just as he did with his ACA ruling.   Roberts apparently didn't want the SCOTUS to take down the ACA so he found a way to keep the mandate in place.  He could very well do the same with other major cases as well.   But I could be wrong.  

Precisely.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

So Brett does NOT equal death???

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

A summary of the 5-4's that he swungs. Covers guns, abortion, campaign finance, gay marriage, death penalty. Identify the "conservative republican" position on those issues, and then compare to which way the rulings fell. 

ETA link: https://www.npr.org/2018/06/27/623943443/a-brief-history-of-anthony-kennedys-swing-vote-and-the-landmark-cases-it-swayed

Now ask yourself which way Kavanaugh would likely rule in those cases and tell me Kavanaugh doesn't represent an ideological shift. Which is what DD said. 

Edited by Anastasis