Texas vs Maryland Game Week Thread

Vertigo

2 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Eck, who was the head ref, is in the NFL now and someone else's problem now.  I couldn't find info on the other refs.

I remembered reading this at the time, and it's still a great objective analysis of how fucked we got: https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2015/9/29/9420023/saturdays-officiating-was-statistically-significant-by-all-historical

The Peter Principle?

7 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

So Dicker's the kicker.  Time to step up son.  

That 2018 class is going to be special when they're done.

Guess Rowland was pretty useless. Let's hope freshman nerves don't cost us but this kid has a leg. I still remember true freshman Justin Tucker shanking his first kickoff out of bounds. There will be pains but hopefully he's solid from 40 in. Sterns and Foster are going to be special sooner than later. 

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

He seemed to get better toward the end of the year, but I find it encouraging that we might have someone better.  I'll be glad to not have to white knuckle a 30 yard kick again.

Please go find some high quality wood to knock on. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Current DC forecast by the hour....EST

Kickoff

12:00 - 25% T-storms

1:00 - 55% T-storms

2:00 - 80% T-storms

3:00 - 90% T-storms

I smell a weather delay for lightning.

I just looked at weather.com for Landover, MD and they have 40% chance for PM storms on Saturday.

Kickoff @ noon -- Cloudy 20%

1:00 - mostly cloudy 20%

2:00 - isolated storms - 35%

3:00 - scattered storms - 35%

18 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I guess the only positive from that is that I want to see OU-FAU and don't really care about the 2:30 games. But for a rainy game, we really need our RB and OL to dominate and I think a slugfest mudbowl probably favors Maryland over us. Ugh now I am a little concerned.

Hop on the couch next to me bud, I’ve been “a little concerned” before every single game since mid-2010

Edited by Doc Reeves

TFB notes: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/08/open-post-weekend-august-31st-september-2nd/

Week 1 | LB Depth
– Andrew King

Texas seemed to dodge the injury bug in the most part during fall camp. Injuries are going to happen, but the Longhorns didn’t lose anyone to season-ending injuries. There is one position where injuries are a pretty big concern, and that’s at linebacker.

Texas lost LB’s Edwin Freeman (transfer) and Demarco Boyd (offseason arrest) prior to fall camp. So Texas was a little bit thinner than expected as camp began. Then freshman Ayodele Adeoye went down with a knee injury. That injury played a role in Tom Herman and Todd Orlando moving fellow freshman DeMarvion Overshown from DB to LB. During his first scrimmage at LB, Overshown also went down with a knee injury. Both of the freshmen are out week 1 at Maryland.

Junior Jeffrey McCulloch suffered a triceps injury early in fall camp. Todd Orlando said yesterday that he is a game-time decision for the Maryland game. McCulloch hasn’t fully practiced with the team in weeks.

So that leaves Gary Johnson, Anthony Wheeler, Malcolm Roach, and freshman Joseph Ossai as the main guys I’d expect to see vs Maryland.

There’s one other issue, Anthony Wheeler is suspended for the first half of the game. He was ejected in Texas’ bowl win vs Missouri in the 3rd quarter for targeting. So how will things look on Saturday?

A lot weighs on Jeffrey McCulloch playing. If he does, he’s likely the starter at MLB with Gary Johnson and Malcolm Roach outside. If McCulloch can’t play, expect to see Johnson slide in the middle. With Roach and Joseph Ossai starting on the outside. I’d also expect Texas to go to their “lightning package” where only two LB’s are on the field at a time.

The one piece of good news about this is that the injury issues are under Todd Orlando’s specific position group. So I’ll trust one of the best defensive minds in college football to figure it all out.

Post Practice | Thursday, August 30th
– Charlie S

***Coach Herman was asked about the reports out of Ohio State in which his name was brought up. Herman said “What was reported was four and a half years ago when I was an assistant coach…I’m happy to cooperate be honest, truthful, and transparent with the NCAA if they so need me to be and I understand the responsibility that comes with being the head coach at the University of Texas and I take that responsibility very very seriously. Right now that responsibility includes me being laser-like focused on preparing our team to win a game in 48 hours in Washington D.C.”

***When asked if Fenves (President) or Del Conte (AD) had spoken to him about it, Herman said: “We’ve had some conversations”.

***When asked if there were potential NCAA infractions involved and if he cared to speak on it, Coach Herman said: “No, not until the NCAA asks me too”.

***Mood was great at practice…guys have been flying around, happy, energetic, extremely happy to go play a football game.

***Dicker is the kicker as we had reported previously through our sourced notes.

***Getting in a routine was big for this team. Monday’s off throughout the season. Fully transitioned into the routine for the season.

***A lot of freshmen will play. Talking about their nerves, “Nervousness is an energy, it’s an excitement and if channeled properly, you can use that to your advantage. When you’re not prepared, that’s when you feel pressure, that’s when you feel scared. Nervousness you’re gonna feel because you want to perform well. So I don’t think there is any added nervousness to this game. I think our guys are very well prepared and will continue to prepare mentally”.

***On new redshirt rules: That’s something they will save till the end of the year. Not looking to play them early.

***On Brandon Jones: “If there was an award for the most improved player out of spring ball, he would have gotten it”. He’s grown into his leadership position as well.

6 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

The wet track favors the mudder, and the weather breaks momentum. Not good, but if we have at least 5 guys who have even a modicum of value at OL, we are in better shape than last year.

Well we're not trotting Porter out, the OL is better, and Ehlinger can run, so it's not like we're Briles-era Baylor trying to pass our way through it out there.

Edited by texifornia

17 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

The wet track favors the mudder, and the weather breaks momentum. Not good, but if we have at least 5 guys who have even a modicum of value at OL, we are in better shape than last year.

do wet helmets lessen concussion risks? 

OB War Room:

(From Anwar)

We have talked a lot about the positive vibes surrounding this year’s Texas football team prior to the season opener against Maryland on Saturday.

In fact, we detailed at length how this team began to gel as it prepared for the Texas Bowl last season. That unity carried over to winter conditioning. It continued during spring practice, and the bond between coaches and players continued to grow stronger this summer and during training camp. As a person who closely covers this team, the messages from coaches and players were the same. Players understood their coaches and developed strong bonds. In addition, players worked together more this off-season than in previous years because their desire to win as a team became more important than individual desires. Texas’ incumbent players better understood the expectations of Tom Herman’s program and excelled throughout the off-season. More importantly, those players took it upon themselves to mentor this year’s freshmen class and helped them develop.

In addition, most players believed in the direction of this program and wanted to remain in Austin. There was a very small number of players who transferred out of the program after this season. The most impressive thing about Herman’s lack of attrition is there has not been one player from his first recruiting class at Texas that has left the program. So far, every player Herman has recruited is still here. Obviously, those numbers will change in time, but it shows players believe in the direction of this program.

As I spoke to people associated with the program about the positive vibes, coupled with the quiet confidence surrounding this team, each person credited one person for the current demeanor of Texas’ program.

Tom Herman.

From what I was told, Herman has successfully implemented a culture where players come first. That does not mean it was never that way in the past. It just means that Herman’s main goal is to put players first, and as a result, his team has positively responded.

Think about this for a minute.

With all the quarterback battles that are still ongoing around the country, Herman took a different approach to Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele.

In the case of Buechele, Herman announced the starting quarterback job on Monday, Aug. 20, long before classes started on Wednesday, Aug. 29. I won’t mention names, but many schools are carrying out the quarterback competition (in part) because once classes start, the kid is all but forced to sit out that semester if he chooses to transfer. Thus, he cannot transfer and start transitioning to another school during the fall semester, which is a benefit regardless of if he has to sit out or not.

When it came to Buechele, Herman did not worry about Buechele leaving, knowing it would be an option for the quarterback with an earlier announcement. From what I was told, Buechele loves Texas, wants to be here for the team and is an “awesome kid” and there is no indication he thought of leaving. That being said, the way Herman announced the starter, he did not put up any barriers for Buechele if he had decided to leave.

Meanwhile, Herman did not stand in the way of former cornerback John Bonney’s decision to leave school as a grad transfer to Texas Tech.

From what I was told, Bonney walked into Herman’s office a few weeks ago and told the coach he was leaving. Having a player decide he wants to transfer to another program is not unusual. However, what is unusual is Bonney told Herman he intended to transfer to Texas Tech.

Herman would have been within his right to question whether Bonney spoke to coaches at Texas Tech while still on scholarship at Texas. He definitely had the right to limit Bonney’s choices as a grad transfer (new rule change does not occur until October). Bonney was on Herman’s leadership council and Herman could have begged the player to stay. Instead, Herman decided he wanted Bonney to be happy and refused to stand in the way of his player leaving the program.

It was a move that many people associated with the program noticed.

While discussing Herman with multiple people, here are a few examples of him being a player-first coach.

For the final scrimmage of camp, Herman invited all the players' families to attend, and they hosted a lunch for those relatives and players after the scrimmage. The players did not know, so when they took the field for the scrimmage, it was the first time they saw their families there. He then gave the team the afternoon off to spend time with their families. I was several feet away after the announcement, but the players went wild.

From what I can tell, forming his leadership council gave the players a voice they desired. The group meets and discusses things going on with the team and can bring back thoughts and ideas from the team as a whole. It’s part of his philosophy of a player-led program and has helped develop a much closer and more cohesive team.

His 4Ever Texas series where the staff brings guests in for visits to help promote and teach life skills is another example of his passion for developing them as people and student-athletes.

He has talked about the recovery Mondays where they focus is on taking care of the bodies of his players, something that was not at Texas prior to his arrival. They bring in cryotherapy chambers, take them to salt water float tanks, give them recovery boots and constantly seeking new techniques to improve their minds and bodies. The players love it, and as a result of those treatments, Herman enters Saturday’s game against Maryland about as healthy as he could have ever hoped for when his team began training camp.

We will soon find out how Herman’s approach translates on-the-field.

For now, it appears Herman has done everything possible to put his players first, which has resulted in a positive impact within his program.

(Suchomel)

In talking to some people who cover the Maryland program this week, I was curious to hear what the vibe was going around that program with all the turmoil that has hovered over Maryland this summer. Information (and practices) have been very guarded, as you’d expect and it sounds like the coaches have done a pretty good job of keeping everyone guessing on what they’ll do on offense. But surprisingly, people who have spent time around the team and at practices actually feel the off-field distractions won’t play a huge impact in this game.

“Traditionally, with things like this, things blow up,” one person said. “I can’t believe I’m saying it, but from the little big I’ve seen and from talking to players and coaches, I don’t see that happening. They’re really loose. They’re almost responding to Canada better because he’s not a hard ass. They’re much more laid back. They’re season imploded last year when they lost both quarterbacks and their top pass rusher, but I get the sense that they’re calm, feeling more laid back. They’re definitely confident in their ability. I think the fact that they beat them last year helps them with their confidence.”

Will any of that carry over to the field on Saturday? We’ll see. If Texas jumps on them early, all that confidence and looseness could go out the window in a hurry.

Offensively, with Matt Canada taking over, this should be a different style of offense than what Texas saw last year in Austin.

“I’m literally expecting a completely different offense from last year. From what we’ve seen, it’s going to be totally different. It’s going to be so different, I’m not sure what to expect if that makes sense. Maryland literally is going from a guy who tried to fit a square peg into a round hole, to a guy who will tailor the talent around the players he has.”

Texas is favored by two scores, so this is a game the Longhorns should win fairly easily. But if the vibe around the Maryland team from those who cover it holds any truth at all, the Longhorns need to guard against overconfidence in this one. After what happened last year in Austin, Texas should have all the motivation it needs to stay focused and motivated. We’ll know soon enough. 

What is the deal with lame ass "journalists" obsessing over the fact some coaches went out and motor boated some titties while out of town? Jesus, real men need something to do off season and six days week when they are not playing in front of a bunch of lathered up fans. I say fuck all these pussies who can't find something else to write about. No one who matters gives a shit.  if Herman can help Texas win a conference title this year I hope he takes the entire staff to the creme de la creme topless joint in Texas... On more important issues - go check out Auburn vs. Alabama last year to get an idea of the influence Herb Hand brings to the table....over 400 yards total against the eventual national champion - and that was with a pretty lame QB... Texas by 35...

Edited by Artie Fatso

4 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

What is the deal with lame ass "journalists" obsessing over the fact some coaches went out and motor boated some titties while out of town? Jesus, real men need something to do off season and six days week when they are not playing in front of a bunch of lathered up fans. I say fuck all these pussies who can't find something else to write about. No one who matters gives a shit.  if Herman can help Texas win a conference title this year I hope he takes the entire staff to the creme de la creme topless joint in Texas... On more important issues - go check out Auburn vs. Alabama last year to get an idea of the influence Herb Hand brings to the table....over 400 yards total against the eventual national champion - and that was with a pretty lame QB... Texas by 35...

point taken, but i'm not sure i'd call stidham a lame qb.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Scholz said:

OB War Room:

Reveal hidden contents

(From Anwar)

We have talked a lot about the positive vibes surrounding this year’s Texas football team prior to the season opener against Maryland on Saturday.

In fact, we detailed at length how this team began to gel as it prepared for the Texas Bowl last season. That unity carried over to winter conditioning. It continued during spring practice, and the bond between coaches and players continued to grow stronger this summer and during training camp. As a person who closely covers this team, the messages from coaches and players were the same. Players understood their coaches and developed strong bonds. In addition, players worked together more this off-season than in previous years because their desire to win as a team became more important than individual desires. Texas’ incumbent players better understood the expectations of Tom Herman’s program and excelled throughout the off-season. More importantly, those players took it upon themselves to mentor this year’s freshmen class and helped them develop.

In addition, most players believed in the direction of this program and wanted to remain in Austin. There was a very small number of players who transferred out of the program after this season. The most impressive thing about Herman’s lack of attrition is there has not been one player from his first recruiting class at Texas that has left the program. So far, every player Herman has recruited is still here. Obviously, those numbers will change in time, but it shows players believe in the direction of this program.

As I spoke to people associated with the program about the positive vibes, coupled with the quiet confidence surrounding this team, each person credited one person for the current demeanor of Texas’ program.

Tom Herman.

From what I was told, Herman has successfully implemented a culture where players come first. That does not mean it was never that way in the past. It just means that Herman’s main goal is to put players first, and as a result, his team has positively responded.

Think about this for a minute.

With all the quarterback battles that are still ongoing around the country, Herman took a different approach to Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele.

In the case of Buechele, Herman announced the starting quarterback job on Monday, Aug. 20, long before classes started on Wednesday, Aug. 29. I won’t mention names, but many schools are carrying out the quarterback competition (in part) because once classes start, the kid is all but forced to sit out that semester if he chooses to transfer. Thus, he cannot transfer and start transitioning to another school during the fall semester, which is a benefit regardless of if he has to sit out or not.

When it came to Buechele, Herman did not worry about Buechele leaving, knowing it would be an option for the quarterback with an earlier announcement. From what I was told, Buechele loves Texas, wants to be here for the team and is an “awesome kid” and there is no indication he thought of leaving. That being said, the way Herman announced the starter, he did not put up any barriers for Buechele if he had decided to leave.

Meanwhile, Herman did not stand in the way of former cornerback John Bonney’s decision to leave school as a grad transfer to Texas Tech.

From what I was told, Bonney walked into Herman’s office a few weeks ago and told the coach he was leaving. Having a player decide he wants to transfer to another program is not unusual. However, what is unusual is Bonney told Herman he intended to transfer to Texas Tech.

Herman would have been within his right to question whether Bonney spoke to coaches at Texas Tech while still on scholarship at Texas. He definitely had the right to limit Bonney’s choices as a grad transfer (new rule change does not occur until October). Bonney was on Herman’s leadership council and Herman could have begged the player to stay. Instead, Herman decided he wanted Bonney to be happy and refused to stand in the way of his player leaving the program.

It was a move that many people associated with the program noticed.

While discussing Herman with multiple people, here are a few examples of him being a player-first coach.

For the final scrimmage of camp, Herman invited all the players' families to attend, and they hosted a lunch for those relatives and players after the scrimmage. The players did not know, so when they took the field for the scrimmage, it was the first time they saw their families there. He then gave the team the afternoon off to spend time with their families. I was several feet away after the announcement, but the players went wild.

From what I can tell, forming his leadership council gave the players a voice they desired. The group meets and discusses things going on with the team and can bring back thoughts and ideas from the team as a whole. It’s part of his philosophy of a player-led program and has helped develop a much closer and more cohesive team.

His 4Ever Texas series where the staff brings guests in for visits to help promote and teach life skills is another example of his passion for developing them as people and student-athletes.

He has talked about the recovery Mondays where they focus is on taking care of the bodies of his players, something that was not at Texas prior to his arrival. They bring in cryotherapy chambers, take them to salt water float tanks, give them recovery boots and constantly seeking new techniques to improve their minds and bodies. The players love it, and as a result of those treatments, Herman enters Saturday’s game against Maryland about as healthy as he could have ever hoped for when his team began training camp.

We will soon find out how Herman’s approach translates on-the-field.

For now, it appears Herman has done everything possible to put his players first, which has resulted in a positive impact within his program.

(Suchomel)

In talking to some people who cover the Maryland program this week, I was curious to hear what the vibe was going around that program with all the turmoil that has hovered over Maryland this summer. Information (and practices) have been very guarded, as you’d expect and it sounds like the coaches have done a pretty good job of keeping everyone guessing on what they’ll do on offense. But surprisingly, people who have spent time around the team and at practices actually feel the off-field distractions won’t play a huge impact in this game.

“Traditionally, with things like this, things blow up,” one person said. “I can’t believe I’m saying it, but from the little big I’ve seen and from talking to players and coaches, I don’t see that happening. They’re really loose. They’re almost responding to Canada better because he’s not a hard ass. They’re much more laid back. They’re season imploded last year when they lost both quarterbacks and their top pass rusher, but I get the sense that they’re calm, feeling more laid back. They’re definitely confident in their ability. I think the fact that they beat them last year helps them with their confidence.”

Will any of that carry over to the field on Saturday? We’ll see. If Texas jumps on them early, all that confidence and looseness could go out the window in a hurry.

Offensively, with Matt Canada taking over, this should be a different style of offense than what Texas saw last year in Austin.

“I’m literally expecting a completely different offense from last year. From what we’ve seen, it’s going to be totally different. It’s going to be so different, I’m not sure what to expect if that makes sense. Maryland literally is going from a guy who tried to fit a square peg into a round hole, to a guy who will tailor the talent around the players he has.”

Texas is favored by two scores, so this is a game the Longhorns should win fairly easily. But if the vibe around the Maryland team from those who cover it holds any truth at all, the Longhorns need to guard against overconfidence in this one. After what happened last year in Austin, Texas should have all the motivation it needs to stay focused and motivated. We’ll know soon enough. 

OB writer that was on The Horn yesterday was asked if there were any surprising tidbits of information that he could leak from the War Room. Now I see why he avoided the conversation.

24.5 hrs.  Don't stop him now, he's on a roll.  He just doesn't adjust for the metric system that's all.  Was raining here in DC a minute ago, not it's back to hot and humid as shit.  One thing I'll give Herman credit for.  Mack would have already been making excuses for the humidity affecting us and our conditioning.  

6 minutes ago, mr. littlejeans said:

point taken, but i'm not sure i'd call stidham a lame qb.

You may be right and I don't care to argue. That said, for me, I size up QBs based on how they do against solid opponents. In this guy's case he put up 79 yds against Clemson and ran for -42 yards. Against Georgia he threw for 145 and ran for 25. Against LSU he threw for 165 and ran for 11....not embarrassing numbers but not impressive either. A 364 day against Mercer padded his final stats. I digress...on the bright side their RB had almost 1600 total yards n rushing and receiving. That speaks well for Auburn. They put up over 250 yards rushing against MSU, Ole Miss, Mizzou, Arkansas,  and Aggy. Four times  they put up over 300 rushing yards...my point is their offensive line earns recognition for that along with their OL coach.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Gee I sure can’t wait for four years of announcers going “haha Dicker! Kicker! That rhymes! Dicker the kicker!! Hahaha!!”.

I will now be rooting for this each and every game. I hope it haunts your sleep.

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

I just hope they don't have two guys wind up in a fistfight in which they both get seriously injured and can't play for the rest of the season. #HoustonVsNavy2016

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Maybe he isn't, but he can go get a second chance on someone else's time and dime. He's taking up a roster spot and he's lost his fucking privilege. Let him find redemption at Pittsburg State or some shit.

No parents, yada yada yada. Equivocation, equivocation, equivocation. Poor black "kid" of 21 years old is just misunderstood, etc. Right. He beat a fucking guy into the hospital because of a rear-ender, and he wasn't even a driver. I heard about it the day after it happened and couldn't believe it took a week or two to come out. Good riddance to him and he can fuck right off. I'd be saying the same shit if he were at OU, USC, ATM or Idaho. 

First off Fuck you.  What the fuck are you even bringing up straw man excuses for?  Nobody was even remotely going down those roads.  Fuck You and Fuck Maryland!

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1