Any Room for Optimism?

TheFlagship

I don’t know. I don’t rewatch previous games. To me it felt like the defense sucked as much as last years game. Felt like the offense was better until the last 3 possessions. What I do know is that our offense has absolutely no flow to it. I don’t know if it’s the plays called or if it’s the player dropping an easy catch on 3rd down. Or if it’s putting porter in at crunch time. I guess they thought they knew what they would get from him. But he has no big play ability. No speed. There was one of those outside passes that one of our other rbs would have gotten an additional 3 yards and a first down. What I do know is that I was confident we couldn’t put together a 10+ play drive on the last few possessions and that we would need a big yardage play,  yet it seemed like we called methodical plays. And this is after abandoning the run earlier which was working. Why be methodical at the nd when you abandoned it earlier?

3 hours ago, softlynow said:

The biggest positive is no one who matters will excuse 6-6 and say he needs time. If it’s money that stops a firing, so be it, but unlike Strong’s tenure, there’s not a real need to hold off judgment til a third year. 

This isn’t going to happen, no matter what, so shut the fuck up about it now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

You know—that’s the real upside for me. I just don’t really care anymore. We lost. Don’t care. I went about my day.

It’s for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been there for a while, unfortunately.

Watched the first half live. Haven't done that in a while... watch one of our games as it happened. 

I avoided being depressed because my expectations were already low.

I knew our front seven on defense would be a liability; the big runs we gave up were no surprise. The coverage breakdowns in the secondary were more surprising. Those issues will get fixed quickly, I expect; they're at least fixable.

Offensively, Sam is who we thought he was, our OL was actually a pleasant surprise in pass protect (we haven't been that adequate in a decade), and the overall scheme, play calling and decision making remains completely fucking retarded.

Our OL will win us a game we would've lost last year and our defense will cost us two we would've won. So we're a 6-7 team by my reckoning.

Can we do a real coaching search next time instead of the 2016 Democrat Party strategy of coronating the next idiot in line for the job without critical thinking?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Hmmm... Well now that is a good idea... But I worry the master won't be bothered and besides, then we won't be able to archive his master piece work for later enjoyment.

In that case, I'm sure he has an apprentice who would be happy to oblige. Leonardo wasnt the only one to paint Mona Lisa after all...

Here’s some optimism. The following young players looked really good to me   

ingram, foster, sterns, cosmi. 

Ossai only played special teams but he looked like a beast out there  

Boyce held his own.  

The new punter was absolutely booming them in pregame.  Then the game started and he choked.  But he has the talent. 

• Like 1

Optimism?  Cam Rising will win the job next year and win a lot of games followed by Johnson and Card who also win a shitload of games.  Sam moves to fullback and Buechele hangs around, gets a degree from Texas and slays a lot of poon ala Nordgren.  Tim Beck gets the head coach job at McNeese State and hires Meheringer as his OC.  

3 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Optimism?  Cam Rising will win the job next year and win a lot of games followed by Johnson and Card who also win a shitload of games.  Sam moves to fullback and Buechele hangs around, gets a degree from Texas and slays a lot of poon ala Nordgren.  Tim Beck gets the head coach job at McNeese State and hires Meheringer as his OC.  

He said optimism, not full on public orgies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Here’s some optimism. The following young players looked really good to me   

ingram, foster, sterns, cosmi. 

Ossai only played special teams but he looked like a beast out there  

Boyce held his own.  

The new punter was absolutely booming them in pregame.  Then the game started and he choked.  But he has the talent. 

There's always room for improvement, so there's just as well room for optimism... 

Since this is the optimism thread, I think that we are actually in a better position after this year’s loss to Maryland than last year’s (cue internal screaming).

Aside from our DBs running into each other and dropping INTs, I think a big part of what let them score 24 points in the first 1.5 quearters was the decision to play Roach at MLB. He’s a great player but was completely out of position. Canada realized it and ran jet sweeps and quick passes to exploit it. I realize we were in a tough spot with the Wheeler, and later Johnson, suspsensions but I’m disappointed that we put ourselves in that position. After we pulled shifted to McCulloch / Wheeler at LB with Foster at joker in the 2nd half, we gave up only 10 points. Eliminate the whiff plays from the DBs and I think the defense could be pretty good.

OL played much better than what we have seen over the past 5+ years. There is actual talent at the RB position. However, this is completely negated when we decide to play Kyle Porter. WR showed big play ability and for the most part we left our best players on the field (novel concept, I know). Ehlinger played OK until the 4Q when he started forcing things.

Brandon Jones did a great job returning punts. Dicker seems like a huge upgrade over Rowland. The New Punter didn’t drop any snaps.

Bottom line:

Defense will be fine once we settle into better personnel groupings.

Offense could be fine if we 1) commit to putting the best players on the field and keeping them there and 2) institute some sort of coherent play calling philosophy.

• Like 1