Any Room for Optimism?

TheFlagship

Ingram looked like a young Jamal Charles so when he didn’t get another carry it hit home with me and made sense. I actually expected it. When Maryland ran their entire offense through a true freshman I was actually saying out loud “Matt Canada should be our OC”. 

Im tired of digging for positives in games we have lost to teams Texas should beat by 3 td’s to open the season. So fucking tired. 

I hope CDC has balls and pulls the plug on Mensa and goes and hires a great coach. One that Texas pulls away from another school and doesn’t get from some shit fbs school.

This is what I wrote earlier for therapeutic purposes.  I'm not sure how many of these things can (or will) be corrected.  Note:  I've never played organized football so if I'm completely off on any of these, it won't hurt my feelings to be corrected.

1. Running the ball up the middle for the first 6 drives didn’t work.  So, Herman (or someone) decides to go up-tempo and we look like a halfway decent offense for two drives.  THEN, TH (or someone) abandons the idea going into the 2nd half.

2. Speaking of the 2nd half… Did anyone take note of the opening kickoff?  It’s somewhat shanked and pretty obviously going out of bounds but our back decides to make a diving catch pinning us inside the 20.

3. Gary Johnson, hands to the face, pass interference, 3rd and 19.  Is it me or does it seem as if our team has 10 stupid-fucking-game-changing-penalties-that-give-the-other-team-first-downs-and-momentum to every 1 that occurs the other way?

4. Ingram comes in and looks (as one Surly member said) like Jamaal Charles and then hits the bench for the rest of the game.

5. Porter.  Jesus. I’ve read that he was in because he’s a better blocker; however, he was swinging out wide on every possession at the end of the game.  I don’t recall if he was chipping and then hitting the flat but, either way, is that really the best we can do? I thought we got Tre from Cali for this exact reason.

6. Spreading the ball around.  Is there some sort of quota our offense has where everyone that plays receiver and running back has to touch the ball a certain number of times?  I don’t understand why we can’t settle for a couple of RB’s and 3-4 receivers. Baylor, OU, Okie St., WVU, etc… always seem to have that one guy that gets 20 touches and torches teams.  I still have nightmares about that midget guy from OU that had like 6,000 yards against in one of the RRR games.

7. If you’re going to play Ehlinger, play to his strengths.  It was obvious after the first couple of series that Ehlinger was not going to run on the zone read plays.  Even if he’s not that effective running, it, at least, gives the D something to worry about.

8. We have TE’s right?  I thought Beck was supposed to be the big offensive difference this year.  If we’re not going to be able to run any semblance of a power running game, we may as well replace the TE with an extra receiver.

9. The 2-point conversion.  This really bothered me. Not that we went for it.  As the game played out, we were prob going to have to go for 2 at some point anyway.  What is driving me crazy is throwing the ball out of the back of the end zone. WTF? Didn’t Ehlinger throw a 4th down pass away in a game last year?   Seems as if that happened. Maybe I’m wrong. There’s no reason to throw a 2 pointer out of the back of the end zone. That play sucked ass in the first place.  He rolled to the short side with something like 20 players also rolling to the short side of the end zone.

10. Whose dumbass idea was it to move Roach to the middle?  He’s entirely ineffective there. Put him back on the edge.

11. Why is it that, when I watch just about any other team, their receivers seem to catch balls in space?  When we actually complete a pass, it’s always some falling down, hands in the face, double-covered, catch with someone on their hip(s).  I’m going off a memory hazed by many beers, but I don’t recall any of our receivers catching the ball and not being immediately met by a tackle or pressure.

12. On a related note, does Ehlinger know that he can throw in the middle of the field?  So many passes are to the sideline allowing it to be an extra defender.

13. The “fumble”.  IMO, if the refs on the field called a fumble, I’d have no problem with it being reviewed as a fumble.  However, I don’t see how that could have been overturned via overwhelming evidence. And how the hell was that not a horse collar on the last B Jones return?  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Ingram looked like a young Jamal Charles so when he didn’t get another carry it hit home with me and made sense. I actually expected it. When Maryland ran their entire offense through a true freshman I was actually saying out loud “Matt Canada should be our OC”. 

Im tired of digging for positives in games we have lost to teams Texas should beat by 3 td’s to open the season. So fucking tired. 

I hope CDC has balls and pulls the plug on Mensa and goes and hires a great coach. One that Texas pulls away from another school and doesn’t get from some shit fbs school.

I'd like to see them play at least a full season, but I think Mario Cristobal at Oregon is going to be a damn good head coach.

10 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

This is what I wrote earlier for therapeutic purposes.  I'm not sure how many of these things can (or will) be corrected.  Note:  I've never played organized football so if I'm completely off on any of these, it won't hurt my feelings to be corrected.

we are a dumb team and have been since Charlie.  Hiring Herman didn't change that unfortunately.  still dumb.

• Like 1

Self awareness is a good thing. For several years, we just needed better players, or more experience, or better conditioning, or more alignment, or more time in the scheme. There was something to hope for. If we just had ______ we'd start winning. It's hard to make that case now. We just aren''t good. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we are a dumb team and have been since Charlie.  Hiring Herman didn't change that unfortunately.  still dumb.

I was at the game, and I don't see how anyone could miss it. Maryland was flying off the line on offense and played solid position defense way better than we do. Their key players were always in the right position for receptions and running through holes. It was amazing to see the difference. And that was their junior varsity coach out coaching us.

They'renot faster than us but they're quicker.  Those timing plays, sure one of them bit Maryland in the ass with the safety, but most of the time they put Texas three steps behind them until they started getting tired from the heat. Then they picked right up after the delay.

Maryland is a far, far better Coach team with football knowledge and basic understanding than Texas. We look dumb, slow, and stupid, some great individual play notwithstanding. Brandon Jones...

Edited by phdhorn

1 hour ago, PhillyD said:

FedEx took credit cards so I didn't burn my cash on alcohol.

I found a place that sold some alcohol during the rain delay.  

Other than that, I don't know what the positives were.  That was really, really bad.

Hero, took a bullet for the team to be there.  You should have a badge.  I was there when Herman Choked Again.

HCA and it ain’t going to get better.  I have not seen an as unprepared team since we play Hawaii after Metcalf was suspended.

2 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:
5 minutes ago, MOODY said:
Nope, this team and coach are losers.  No help to be had except for how long the pain lasts.  I hope it is quick.

I heard that losing doesn't make you a loser.

Where did you hear that from?  I just created an account here because I am pissed as a m'fer at the lack of preparations by this team, once again.

I just don't give a shit anymore and I am too old to start caring for this pampered, smug team. 

• Fuck You 1

Oline is better than last 2 years.
qB play is worse.
not using RBs more is baffling and on the HC/OC.
Somnolence of the D in first half is pathetic.
so yeah, snafu.
Yes
Not really, Sam just isn't going to pick anyone apart from the pocket.
Yes
Not sure what you're trying to say here, but D flat out sucked most of the first half. Same shit as last year.

I have optimism like the OP. That was a weird game, but it’s understandabke while people are freaking out. I saw a lot of talent - more than any team since ‘09. 

We were listless, inexplicably, and the coaching was deplorable across the board. Beck will place Herman on the hotseat because he’s so stubborn. I’m not sure Beck makes it out of September. 

I disagree we need to force it to CJ more. Dude is rarely open and plays with little fire. We need to run it more with Sam and Ingram. Porter should literally never see the field. And we should be forcing it to LJH. 

Defense and Special Teams let us down in scoring, although D did improve considerably over last year - 17 points. Just one TD by either of them would have been enough for a win. And we cut the margin of victory in half - that's nearly fifty percent. All things considered, there's a lot of good things we can build on.

I was expecting MensaTom to utter those words.