do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

I don't hate it.  It's just clearly the weakest episode of a really strong season.  Nothing to shun, but at some point you gotta call some shit out.  It's funny, but there's no way in the world it's not the least funny episode of Season 4 which began the truly golden era of Seinfeld.  I mean, maybe "The Airport" is another "weaker link" but only because they can't all be 5-star gems.  Plus fun fact about "The Smelly Car" is the red head psycho from "Children of the Corn" makes an apperance.  

No, nobody dislikes it.  And of course we love the implausibility of most episodes.  That's what makes them so damn special.  What a few of us are saying is that, if forced to say your least favorites of Season 4, The Smelly Car probably is right up there at the top.  Like a Led Zeppelin album ranking, doesn't mean it's bad...just means you are asked to do a ranking and in order to comply with goofy shit like numerical rankings...you place that one lower down.  That's all.  How is this so fucking hard for some of you?  

20 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I don't hate it.  It's just clearly the weakest episode of a really strong season.  Nothing to shun, but at some point you gotta call some shit out.  It's funny, but there's no way in the world it's not the least funny episode of Season 4 which began the truly golden era of Seinfeld.  I mean, maybe "The Airport" is another "weaker link" but only because they can't all be 5-star gems.  Plus fun fact about "The Smelly Car" is the red head psycho from "Children of the Corn" makes an apperance.  

Season 4 has both The Old Man and The Handicap Spot, both of which I skip on every rewatch.

I love The Airport too.  Elaine's hell on the plane in coach, Jerry and the model in first class living it up, George and the SHACKLES!, and Kramer trying to get money from Grossbard.  All good stories.

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

No, nobody dislikes it.  And of course we love the implausibility of most episodes.  That's what makes them so damn special.  What a few of us are saying is that, if forced to say your least favorites of Season 4, The Smelly Car probably is right up there at the top.  Like a Led Zeppelin album ranking, doesn't mean it's bad...just means you are asked to do a ranking and in order to comply with goofy shit like numerical rankings...you place that one lower down.  That's all.  How is this so fucking hard for some of you?  

My trivia partner actually sat down and ranked every single episode of the entire series.  Said it took him about 4 hours.

See?  Alls I'm saying is that we can have favorites from every season, and our top picks overall.  And there 's reallly any weak points, which is why we love this show.  My only point was if one had to have some episodes of Season 4 that one didn't feel were quite as strong as the others, perhaps "The Smelly Car" might be up/down there.  Doesn't mean we don't watch it and laugh, we just don't seek it out as frequently as some other episodes of that season.  To Biff's point, I could never, possibly rank all 200+ episodes.  Just too dependent on state of mind and age and all that.  But yeah, if I have to...on a season by season basis, I can probably rank 1 through ~20 each year with pretty rigid consistency.  As we've exhaustively stated on this thread, sometimes certain ones just pop out to us in real life because of what's happening to us in real life.  But for the most part, I can probably hang with my top quintiles and so forth down the road with 30 years of confident rigidity.  I will always want to murder Kenny Bania but I will always grow to love what he brought to the table.  

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

All later seasons too, which a lot of people think are the worst ones.  I do not share that opinion.

I remember hearing that opinion bandied about years ago and decided to look through the episode lists of the final few seasons.  it’s almost all gold.  I don’t get it either. 

• Hook 'Em 3

csb/ yesterday, I got invited to some  happy hour deal at a new bar downtown named "El Cockfight."  Nobody there knew anything about Marcelino, a Bodega, or late night Tamales.  So they can go fuck themselves.  What am I clinging to?  

• Hook 'Em 2

This may have been on the old site, or I may have been  shitfaced drunk and just dreaming this, but didn't one of y'all get a deal (50-count or whatever) of actual bank checks with a clown holding balloons on them and post a pic of them (obviously with the personal info blocked out)?  

Also for about 20 years, whenever I'd travel somewhere for work...I'd call the wife to let her know I arrived safely like every husband does.  And invariably, I'd say, "Hey, I made it from our house to Chicago (or wherever) in under 3 hours."  And she'd chime back with, "Is that good?"  And I'd say, "I dunno."  And we wouldn't even laugh, but it just meant that we were both still who we thought we were.  But there was one trip to El Paso where I ended up in Juarez and actually saw a cockfight and lost money on it.  No tamales but I was up until 5am.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

This may have been on the old site, or I may have been  shitfaced drunk and just dreaming this, but didn't one of y'all get a deal (50-count or whatever) of actual bank checks with a clown holding balloons on them and post a pic of them (obviously with the personal info blocked out)?  

Also for about 20 years, whenever I'd travel somewhere for work...I'd call the wife to let her know I arrived safely like every husband does.  And invariably, I'd say, "Hey, I made it from our house to Chicago (or wherever) in under 3 hours."  And she'd chime back with, "Is that good?"  And I'd say, "I dunno."  And we wouldn't even laugh, but it just meant that we were both still who we thought we were.  But there was one trip to El Paso where I ended up in Juarez and actually saw a cockfight and lost money on it.  No tamales but I was up until 5am.  

I too recall this

On 8/10/2023 at 11:13 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I too recall this

It's possible in my old age, I am remembering this incorrectly.  But wasn't it on shaggybevo, maybe even some other site with all of us that it really did happen?  I wanna say like 5-7 years ago.  Somebody either photoshopped the shit outta some checks or took advantage of right when they went from charging $50 for a box of checks to digital payments when you could literally say "I want a bodega-inspired clown on my checks and because your business model sucks, you're gonna send me a free carton of 'em and pay for shipping to boot."  And somebody posted 'em and obviously blacked out all their stuff but you could see the "To/For/Amount" lines and all that and it was a clown in the center with the hat and the nose and I think holding balloons.  In like a 4-color palate.

Or I'm once again projecting my Seinfeld dedication into real life which isn't real, it's a website that mainly discussed how we know we're living in a computer simulation that conveniently got implanted into my head right after this show went off the air which aligned with my current 25 year deep-seeded fear of clowns.  

Anybody got any Hennigan's?  

22 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You're DEAD President Lincoln!  You're DEAD!

I do not recall this. What was the episode/context/character?

Too lazy to look it up but that whole exchange George does with that kid's mom to get Elaine out adoption.  Fucking cracks me up.  Something about going to live with her dead granparents then being deported and then she's unavailable for a decade to represent the upper westside in the new NASA project.  5 minutes later, they're banging.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Too lazy to look it up but that whole exchange George does with that kid's mom to get Elaine out adoption.  Fucking cracks me up.  Something about going to live with her dead granparents then being deported and then she's unavailable for a decade to represent the upper westside in the new NASA project.  5 minutes later, they're banging.

Elaine has been chosen to be part of the Biosphere 2 project.

I didn't hear they were doing another one?

That's because it's underwater.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1