do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

^

You know, although they split up for a time, always undermining one another to anyone else who would listen, and they were constantly yelling at one another at home and in public...I think they truly loved one another.  

When we were doing our annual screening of "The Strike" episode on Festivus Eve...I noticed something at the Festivus dinner that hadn't really occurred to me before.  Frank had "rested" the holiday for many years according to the script.  He decides to resurrect it, and has that ridiculous feast with George's boss and two rando's from an OTB dive.  Gets the pole, yells about grievances, embarrasses George, Jerry's hussy shows up and storms out, and then of course declares the moment of truth-the Feats of Strength.  And does Estelle think him crazy, does she yell?, does she insult him or his insane belief system?  No she does not, she makes a beautiful dinner, dutifully serves as hostess while Frank goes on this insane trajectory, and only chimes in to encourage George to participate more in his father's traditions. 

That's love right there.  

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^

You know, although they split up for a time, always undermining one another to anyone else who would listen, and they were constantly yelling at one another at home and in public...I think they truly loved one another.  

When we were doing our annual screening of "The Strike" episode on Festivus Eve...I noticed something at the Festivus dinner that hadn't really occurred to me before.  Frank had "rested" the holiday for many years according to the script.  He decides to resurrect it, and has that ridiculous feast with George's boss and two rando's from an OTB dive.  Gets the pole, yells about grievances, embarrasses George, Jerry's hussy shows up and storms out, and then of course declares the moment of truth-the Feats of Strength.  And does Estelle think him crazy, does she yell?, does she insult him or his insane belief system?  No she does not, she makes a beautiful dinner, dutifully serves as hostess while Frank goes on this insane trajectory, and only chimes in to encourage George to participate more in his father's traditions. 

That's love right there.  

I think you can take him Georgie!

On 1/7/2022 at 8:12 AM, Lobo said:

^

That's love right there.  

And yet if not for his foot odor Frank might have left her

On 1/3/2022 at 3:18 PM, Lobo said:

Man, you have lost a lot of hair! 

Just rewatched this episode, which is in season 9, and Kruger says the photo was taken 10 years ago, so a year before the pilot. He looks to have lost most of it (the front at least) during that one year.

7A41F486-5594-4CAC-812A-BA9EA0C7CFA7.jpeg

28DAE86C-A287-4CF0-A3CA-42F6136D0A30.jpeg

Edited by 'stache

Well it was a rough year for George, that 1988-89 academic year.  

The pilot/first season, things look up a bit for George between the new real estate gig and the hot stock tip.  But alas, it's too late---the hair is gone. 

Not even the Beijing Institute can help.  

I love the way he tells Jerry and Elaine to order more food and then goes on to the Superman spinning time backwards lecture.  

It's comical to go back and see him with these little glimpses of confidence because he spends so much of the next 8 seasons in neurotic depression.  

32 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I love the way he tells Jerry and Elaine to order more food and then goes on to the Superman spinning time backwards lecture.  

It's comical to go back and see him with these little glimpses of confidence because he spends so much of the next 8 seasons in neurotic depression.  

Neurotic depression was way more entertaining.  I didn't like the early George.  Jason was still trying to figure out the character and luckily he ended up nailing it in the later seasons.

I agree.  I'd like to think the eventual (dare I say inevitable) brilliance of George Costanza was 1/3 Jason's talent, 1/3 writing, and 1/3 just Jason hanging around Larry enough in real life.  I think George, as we know/remember him, is already on full display halfway through Season 2 (The Heart Attack, the Revenge, Busboy, et. al.).  The other characters took longer to flesh out.  

Elaine, you don't know the first thing about first base.
Well, I know something about getting to first base. And I know you'll never be there.
The way I figure it I've already been there, and I plan on rounding second tonight at around eleven o'clock.
Well, uh, I'd watch the third base coach if I were you 'cause I don't think he's waving you in.

Edited by Kel Varnsen

Guy played four fucking full seasons for the Mets.  Who the fuck does he think he is?  

Fucking Jerry Grote got more at-bats for the Mets than Keith.  Where the fuck is Jerry Grote Day?

Who's Keith?  I'm Grote.  I'm somebody...he's nobody! 

Edited by Lobo