do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Good observation.  You can count the times they went to a bar/club, even at their young age, on one hand.  

I guess I went to movies a few times a year with friends before I got married, but not many. 

if you wanna play a fun game, forget the fake movies in Seinfeld universe.  We’ve exhausted that.  But try to think of real movies they reference and/or watch at home/at cinema 

Home Alone and Home Alone 2

Jerry: What, you rented "Home Alone"?

George: Yeah.

Jerry: I thought you saw that already...

George: No, I saw "Home Alone 2".

Jerry: Oh, right... But you hated it!

George: Well I was lost, I never saw the first one.

Yeah but that movie didn’t exist when Seinfeld released that episode.  

however we will accept midnight cowboy and whatever happened to baby Jane.  Although neither is mentioned by name on the show there are heavy allusions to them

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah but that movie didn’t exist when Seinfeld released that episode.  

however we will accept midnight cowboy and whatever happened to baby Jane.  Although neither is mentioned by name on the show there are heavy allusions to them

There are so many references to old movies and comedians that absolutely go over my head.  I'm sure all his comedian buddies loved it.

3 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Another thing that strikes me as interesting in the show universe and maybe as a reflection of the time (late 80’s/early 90’s), apparently if you weren’t a drinker/partyer in NYC, your social outings consisted of going to the movies with your friends. That’s all they seem to do socially and recreationally. 

Ha yeah.

It is pretty clear, though, that Kramer and Elaine are the two big drinkers in the group. They barely ever show Jerry or George drink... usually just a glass of wine at dinner... but they show both Elaine and Kramer boozing it up pretty frequently.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

if you wanna play a fun game, forget the fake movies in Seinfeld universe.  We’ve exhausted that.  But try to think of real movies they reference and/or watch at home/at cinema 

Off the top of my head... 

The English Patient, Beaches, Home Alone, Home Alone 2, Star Trek II, Star Trek III... that's all I got... 

EDIT - How could I forget...  Schindler's List

Edited by oSuJeff97

Just now, Lobo said:

What was the "Beaches" reference?  I can't remember.  Did it have something to do with "Rochelle Rochelle"?  

Yeah it was in the episode when George takes out Bette Midler in the softball game.

Jerry and "the understudy" are watching it at the start of the show. George also mentions when when he's trash-talking Bette Midler when she's at bat, lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy shit, we're slipping.  Fucking "JFK."  It's like half the episode of the Keith Hernandez storyline.  Plus Newman was actually in it.  And the scene steal from "Basic Instinct." down at the USPO.  

also, very slight but the reference to Three Days of the Condor (RIP Von Sydow)..."You said it'd be a postman I know...and you're a postman I know!!!" 

Edited by Lobo

It's actually a really good movie to watch alone on a lazy Sunday (do not watch it with a woman!).  What makes the Seinfeld take on it so damn funny for me is Max Von Sydow and Redford play the scene so damn heavy, even for those guys.  And to watch the two goofiest motherfuckers (kramer and Newman)  on Earth try to recreate it while being serious is so fucking funny to me.   

This is a truncated part of it, but you know---can't imbed videos for shit:

Just now, Lobo said:

It's actually a really good movie to watch alone on a lazy Sunday (do not watch it with a woman!).  What makes the Seinfeld take on it so damn funny for me is Max Von Sydow and Redford play the scene so damn heavy, even for those guys.  And to watch the two goofiest motherfuckers (kramer and Newman)  on Earth try to recreate it while being serious is so fucking funny to me.   

You said it would be "a mailman I know" and you're A MAILMAN I KNOW....!

• Hook 'Em 1

That is such an underrated episode.  Again, the little things...

when Jerry gets up to the dais to try to save his father's tribute dinner from turning into a hot mess and he starts with the "Airline Food" schtick about the tiny bag of peanuts or whatever it was, and that old Jewish woman shouts from off-camera, "Not my Harry...he only flies first class!"  I fucking lose it every time...it reminds me so much of older female relatives in our family that have to try to one-up other older ladies with stories of their children and grandchildren, but then when their offspring are around in person...they just berate and needle them to no end.  But you can't see her, but you know the line is coming, it's not terribly funny on paper, and there's a lot of comedic commotion right before and right after it.......but it just fucking slays me every damn time.  

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh!  Going back to the discussion about favorite one-episode characters:  Jon Favreau as Eric the Clown.  

I’d like to think his nailing the “you’re hung up some clown from the 60’s man!”……impressed Doug Liman to help get swingers made and eventually save the Star Wars franchise.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I’d like to think his nailing the “you’re hung up some clown from the 60’s man!”……impressed Doug Liman to help get swingers made and eventually save the Star Wars franchise.  

The build up of his annoyance with George is so good. “No!”  Just so exasperated. 

Excellent recall.  Especially since that episode is so well known and we forgot all about it.  

Quick intra-thread trivia:

Al Pacino is referenced twice on Seinfeld.  Once by Elaine at the soup stand.  What was the other occasion/episode?  

Edited by Lobo

4 hours ago, Da Fino said:

My Cousin Vinny

when susan walks in on george watching another tomei movie is it "only you"?  she's like "only you", that's another marisa tomei movie, i'm gonna start thinking you like her more than you like me. 

i always thought that was odd.  i get what they were going for, but there really just aren't two iconic tomei movies and they chose the 2nd one to be "only you", a fairly obscure rom com, even in the present day 90's of seinfeld.

i can only assume that's the last time tomei and rdj were in a movie together until spiderman.

6 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

when susan walks in on george watching another tomei movie is it "only you"?  she's like "only you", that's another marisa tomei movie, i'm gonna start thinking you like her more than you like me. 

i always thought that was odd.  i get what they were going for, but there really just aren't two iconic tomei movies and they chose the 2nd one to be "only you", a fairly obscure rom com, even in the present day 90's of seinfeld.

i can only assume that's the last time tomei and rdj were in a movie together until spiderman.

No, RDJ was also with her in "The Wrestler."  Or was that Dustin Hoffman?  

4 minutes ago, futureman said:

Fredo was weak and stupid!

Yep.  Straight Al Pacino as Michael Corleone impression.  There's another scene in "The Bris" where the couple make Kramer the godfather to the baby and the scene is kinda like when Michael takes the reigns as they shut the door on Kay, but Kramer was just doing Marlon Brando's voice/gestures a minute before so I don't consider that Pacino.  Obviously these are very important distinctions to be poured over in perpetuity.  

18 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yep.  Straight Al Pacino as Michael Corleone impression.  There's another scene in "The Bris" where the couple make Kramer the godfather to the baby and the scene is kinda like when Michael takes the reigns as they shut the door on Kay, but Kramer was just doing Marlon Brando's voice/gestures a minute before so I don't consider that Pacino.  Obviously these are very important distinctions to be poured over in perpetuity.  

The most powerful scene to me was when Elaine told Puddy she had had an abortion

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

The most powerful scene to me was when Elaine told Puddy she had had an abortion

What?  Elaine never tells Puddy she had an abortion.  She shares her adamant pro-choice stance, but she never says she had one.  

Did she?  Shit...what else am I blocking from my teenage years?  

Yeah, we like to rehash old shit.  The inevitable result of our cult-like devotion to a 30+ year old show that's been in syndication loops that are, for many of us, our only baseline of how time passes in adulthood.  

16 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Oh!  Going back to the discussion about favorite one-episode characters:  Jon Favreau as Eric the Clown.  

He's great.

Another one of my all-time favorites and just absolutely inspired casting was James Spader as "the step skipper."

"I'm so sorry George. I'm sorry I didn't want your rather bulbous head stretching out the normal-sized neck hole of my finely knitted sweater..."

• Hook 'Em 1