do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

I've also been rewatching on Netflix.  I never really watched the show much until my freshman year of college (2004) when it was a few years out of running.  There was a server available to anyone on the university internet that had all the episodes ripped and uploaded, so really it was the first show I binge watched at a time that the term didn't really exist.

My main impression is that the stylistic differences between the Larry David written seasons and the non Larry David seasons are really, really striking in a way I never noticed before.  Almost like 2 different shows with the same set of characters.  I don't hate the non-Larry seasons, but it's a lot more bizarre and physical and the characters all seem less intelligent for lack of a better word.  I don't know if it's because I've consumed so much more CYE in the 18 years since I first binged Seinfeld or what.  I have always viewed seasons 4-7 as the best, and that hasn't changed.  At the time of my original consumption, I wasn't very aware of Larry David nor did I realize that he left the show before it's run ended.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've also been rewatching on Netflix.  I never really watched the show much until my freshman year of college (2004) when it was a few years out of running.  There was a server available to anyone on the university internet that had all the episodes ripped and uploaded, so really it was the first show I binge watched at a time that the term didn't really exist.

My main impression is that the stylistic differences between the Larry David written seasons and the non Larry David seasons are really, really striking in a way I never noticed before.  Almost like 2 different shows with the same set of characters.  I don't hate the non-Larry seasons, but it's a lot more bizarre and physical and the characters all seem less intelligent for lack of a better word.  I don't know if it's because I've consumed so much more CYE in the 18 years since I first binged Seinfeld or what.  I have always viewed seasons 4-7 as the best, and that hasn't changed.  At the time of my original consumption, I wasn't very aware of Larry David nor did I realize that he left the show before it's run ended.

Season 2 & 3 are highly underrated and are right there with the best, but in general I agree with you 100%.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I think I'm one of the only people that loves Season 8 and 9.  There's so many good episodes!

I mean Season 9 gave us "SERENITY NOW" and Festivus, and Season 8 had Little Jerry Seinfeld and the Kenny Rogers' Chicken.  They had absolute greatness, but the overall tone was noticeably different and I just really love Larry David's sensibilities.

13 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

They're fantastic, but can't hold a candle to the early seasons. 

I've said this before, but the early seasons I think the characters were still finding their groove, especially George.  I think maybe Season 4 is when they started to hit their stride.  But I'm splitting hairs.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've said this before, but the early seasons I think the characters were still finding their groove, especially George.  I think maybe Season 4 is when they started to hit their stride.  But I'm splitting hairs.

There were definitely some earlier episodes where they were on their stride (Pez Dispenser was in Season 3) but I generally agree.

I think that's the case with most great character driven comedy series.  Trailer Park Boys, Always Sunny, Parks & Rec, Letterkenny, all start a little rough when you rewatch them, hitting their strides 2-3 seasons in.  Seinfeld was no different.

(looks at shirt button)...Haven't we talked about this before on the old site?  I think we've talked about this before.

Yes, Seasons 8 & 9 are more absurdist but if you really listen...it was inevitable.  Just watch and learn.  Obviously Larry leaving was a big part of it, but think of the LACK of character arc.  How long can one pin down in the minutiae of life without learning, without hugging, and continue with routine?  They only thing the characters could do was seek the absurd.  We're gonna get esoteric now.  I'll get home, get some cocktails, and we'll figure this out. 

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Jerry tells George how he dumped Janeane Garofolo because he realized he was basically dating himself.  That's not a loose end at all.

He told the story to Elaine, and they included an actual flashback of the breakup. It was the first episode of a new season. What a dumb comment about a loose end. 

The end of Elaine and her bizarro friends was also on screen, she ate olives without asking and pushed one of them too hard and she left. I don't think there was any need for her to grovel for the others to take her back, she presumably just showed back up like normal. Not really a loose end.

I guess we never saw Susan forgiving George for the Marissa Tomei thing (or from her view thinking she was cheating with Elaine) but it would presumably be pretty easy to prove he wasn't with Elaine and he never slept with Marissa Tomei. Maybe a loose end, but as noted, there were plenty of reasons for her to leave him and she didn't, which was part of the humor because he wanted out so bad.

Edited by 'stache

20 minutes ago, Lobo said:

(looks at shirt button)...Haven't we talked about this before on the old site?  I think we've talked about this before.

Yes, Seasons 8 & 9 are more absurdist but if you really listen...it was inevitable.  Just watch and learn.  Obviously Larry leaving was a big part of it, but think of the LACK of character arc.  How long can one pin down in the minutiae of life without learning, without hugging, and continue with routine?  They only thing the characters could do was seek the absurd.  We're gonna get esoteric now.  I'll get home, get some cocktails, and we'll figure this out. 

Maybe, I just wasn't going to dig back through a massive thread.  At 119 pages, I doubt there's a ton of new ground being broke.

No hugging, no learning.  It's about nothing.

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

He told the story to Elaine, and they included an actual flashback of the breakup. It was the first episode of a new season. What a dumb comment about a loose end. 

The end of Elaine and her bizarro friends was also on screen, she ate olives without asking and pushed one of them too hard and she left. I don't think there was any need for her to grovel for the others to take her back, she presumably just showed back up like normal. Not really a loose end.

I guess we never saw Susan forgiving George for the Marissa Tomei thing (or from her view thinking she was cheating with Elaine) but it would presumably be pretty easy to prove he wasn't with Elaine and he never slept with Marissa Tomei. Maybe a loose end, but as noted, there were plenty of reasons for her to leave him and she didn't, which was part of the humor because he wanted out so bad.

Agreed.  It was obvious when she pushed the one guy over that she was out of that group and it's not like Jerry, George, and Kramer were gonna argue with her coming back.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

My friend Bob Saccamano breaks new ground every day.

Fuck you and your fake Canadian friends from a different high school you met on Spring Break.  We all see through your Iowan bullshit.  

Hey Ma, what do I have to do to get some food around here?!?  I'm starving!  And if it's peanut butter, you can shove it in your face!

I like how at the end an entire posse shows up to avenge the bubble boy.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Man look at George in these Pre-4th season episodes

The Heart Attack

The Revenge

The Phone Message

The Baby Shower

The Chinese Restaurant

The Busboy

The Library

The Stranded

The Parking Garage

The Nose Job

The Red Dot

The Fix-Up

The Parking Spot

Image of That's as good as anything you do.

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is one of my top 5 least favorite episodes.  I HATE the party host, Steve.

You haven't won. You may think you've won, but you haven't won.  Do you know why?  It's not over.  This is not over.  I'm not forgetting what's happening here. 

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is one of my top 5 least favorite episodes.  I HATE the party host, Steve.

Is there anything to drink around here, or is that...like a stupid question? 

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Trivia time:  Two episodes utilize the Sheena Easton song, "9 to 5" aka "Morning Train" aka "Morning Train (Nine to Five), aka "My Baby Takes The Morning Train" in montage sequences.  What are they?

Kramer going to the fictional job is one. Can't remember the other one off the top of my head.

Trivia time:  Two episodes utilize the Sheena Easton song, "9 to 5" aka "Morning Train" aka "Morning Train (Nine to Five), aka "My Baby Takes The Morning Train" in montage sequences.  What are they?

Wait...was the second one when George was pretending to be handicapped? And the montage of him in the office riding the stairs?

• Hook 'Em 2

George at Play Now using the "old person" stair apparatus