do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

Kramer going to the fictional job is one. Can't remember the other one off the top of my head.

I think it’s when George is working at play now and he they do a montage where he trips someone with his cane.

I need to read ahead before answering next time. Both those dude beat me.

Speaking of the PlayNow montage, imagine your acting credits being “no lines, but I was the woman who carried Jason Alexander down the hallway.”   

21 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I enjoy them, but it's like a completely different brand of humor.

Exactly! You can tell a tangible difference between Seasons 2-7 and 8-9. Season 8 is way less subtle, way more bombastic and, while still fun and memorable, completely devoid of the clever and subtle writings that hit deeper in the parts of our brain that manage humor and comedy.

Also George is obviously fatter/older/balder at the start of 8 than previous seasons which is jarring.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Exactly! You can tell a tangible difference between Seasons 2-7 and 8-9. Season 8 is way less subtle, way more bombastic and, while still fun and memorable, completely devoid of the clever and subtle writings that hit deeper in the parts of our brain that manage humor and comedy.

Also George is obviously fatter/older/balder at the start of 8 than previous seasons which is jarring.

Jason Alexander’s character older and balder in a later season?  That is a bold fucking take.  I think you should write for Sepenwall

9 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

So true and that was because Larry David left the show for it's final 2 seasons.

Jerry and a group of younger writers produced the scripts for seasons 8 and 9. At the time they aired, I really thought the show was beginning to go down hill. But I've come to appreciate them and their different style of wit over time.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:19 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

There are quite a few occasions with George (and more with Larry in CYE) where he's pretty clearly in the right but absolutely everyone involved sees it the other way and he's completely ganged up on.

Yeah I can't think of a single episode of Curb where that DOESN'T happen. 

38 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

Yeah I can't think of a single episode of Curb where that DOESN'T happen. 

I think that's kind of the genius and the point of Curb.  Larry and Jeff frequently see the world the way most people do in real life, but are frequently victims of insane social situations.  It's basically "Am I the Asshole?" the show.

On 3/9/2022 at 4:42 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

The Puerto Rican Day is still the worst episode. 

Agreed.

I will admit that I haven't seen it as much as other episodes since they yanked it from syndication years ago. But my wife (no pics) and I are huge Seinfeld fans and have re-watched the entire series multiple times on Hulu/Netflix. 

The Puerto Rican Day episode is almost aggressively un-funny and really stands out even among some of the more absurd episodes of the last two seasons.

I mean, don't get me wrong... I love, love, love me a good Cedric and Bob appearance, but the whole episode is just very meh.

Like a dork, everytime I go to New York for work...I text my wife of a photo of whatever Ray's pizza I happen to stumble past on the way back to my hotel.  

Invariably, she texts back "Famous Ray's or Original Ray's"?   I chuckle and then hustle back to my hotel before the Van Buren Boys find me.  

'The last time I open for a rodeo!'

The bleachers thing was a little too over the top absurdist, even for latter-day Seinfeld.  I'll give you that.  
I don't have an issue with the laser pointer thing.  First of all, it's a perfect way to physically taunt George in a non-obvious way and get him wound up by something other than what other people say.  And secondly, that really was a thing at that point in history.  Those things were everywhere, like fidget spinners, and then suddenly gone as soon as you noticed them.  Seinfeld didn't typically rely on contemporary tropes related to trends (obviously there are exceptions)...so that one was a "current fad" that could also wind George up like nobody's business.  

I plowed through about half of Season 9 on Friday laid up with a nasty cold.

There's a change even between 8 and 9 where you can start to feel a tiredness and resignation that the end was near that made it's way into the writing and the characters themselves.  A lot of the jokes revolve around the main characters being sick of their own shit and definitely mocking themselves with an awareness that wasn't there previously - often with Jerry and Elaine's episode-by-episode relationship changes.  There are some weird ancillary characters introduced that felt like characters that had been part of the show before (FDR seems Newman-esque - but Newman was still there) that don't really add anything at that stage in the game (why is the building super finally brought in?).  The break up/make up aspect of Elaine and Puddy gets really played out as well.  There's just a weird almost melancholy vibe to the season in comparison to the rest of the series.

Still plenty of moments of genius and incredible bits - mostly involving George.  George pretending to be handicapped and working at Play Now.  Frank and Estelle have some of their most memorable moments (George busting them banging in the car, Festivus).  George trying to give himself a nickname.

I didn't make it to the Puerto Rican Day and haven't seen that episode in at least 15 years.  I don't remember hating it at all.  Will be interesting to see how I feel about it today.