do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

Yeah, he was an incredibly successful TV and theater actor in the 70's & 80's.  

We could have two separate sub-threads for actor who went on Seinfeld and was either already more commercially successful or became commercially successful afterwards.

And then another for those of greatest critical acclaim.  Folks like Phillip Baker Hall and Paul Benedict top that list.

Edited by Lobo

You've honestly ever seen the Soup Nazi episode of "Seinfeld"?  Probably one of the 5 most iconic episodes in our mutually favorite show?  I find that hard to believe.  

Gazpacho Police=Soup Nazi.  Our 25 year campaign of futile quotes actually paid off, finally.  We changed the world!  

Sorry, noCR.....................I didn't get any bread! 

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You've honestly ever seen the Soup Nazi episode of "Seinfeld"?  Probably one of the 5 most iconic episodes in our mutually favorite show?  I find that hard to believe.  

Gazpacho Police=Soup Nazi.  Our 25 year campaign of futile quotes actually paid off, finally.  We changed the world!  

Sorry, noCR.....................I didn't get any bread! 

no I’ve seen it. just missed the joke on why you said part retard instead of part spanish. adios muchacho!

HOO-AHH!

Sorry to veer off topic, I just can't stop laughing at the gazpacho thing.  I feel like Larry David when he says, "I say I'll get over it...but I know I won't." 

I love that the only episode that remotely touches the topic of Valentine's Day in 9 seasons involves explosives.  God bless that show.

Shit, I thought you were around my age, probably a bit younger.  But if you were still doing Blazer Tag (NTTWWT) and using that handle in 1996...I guess we're more years apart.  Here's the crazy thing...when I would go to Photon (not sure what the fuck y'all called it here) in Chicago in the late 80's...I would use the name "Rommel" 'cause you know...the nice Nazi.  Like a good porridge.  

11 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Shit, I thought you were around my age, probably a bit younger.  But if you were still doing Blazer Tag (NTTWWT) and using that handle in 1996...I guess we're more years apart.  Here's the crazy thing...when I would go to Photon (not sure what the fuck y'all called it here) in Chicago in the late 80's...I would use the name "Rommel" 'cause you know...the nice Nazi.  Like a good porridge.  

I turn 40 in 5 months.

I think the final season was my junior year of HS. There weren't a lot of us at my HS in podunk east TX that appreciated Seinfeld but we all knew eachother. Different cliques and whatnot but we all new who we were.  In the end there was the random "Hellloooooooo" from a senior popular guy to a nerdy freshman replied to by a "LA LA LA!" If you knew you knew. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

I think the final season was my junior year of HS. There weren't a lot of us at my HS in podunk east TX that appreciated Seinfeld but we all knew eachother. Different cliques and whatnot but we all new who we were.  In the end there was the random "Hellloooooooo" from a senior popular guy to a nerdy freshman replied to by a "LA LA LA!" If you knew you knew. 

From about 8th grade to the end of the series, so I guess 1995-1998, every week night for me was Simpsons at 9, Seinfeld at 9:30.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

From about 8th grade to the end of the series, so I guess 1995-1998, every week night for me was Simpsons at 9, Seinfeld at 9:30.

We had 2 stations. KXII and KTEN both out of Sherman/Denison. I got my Simpsons fix by them running reruns at 4pm starting around 1997 or so. I actually went out and bought a case of blank VHS tapes to record them because I'd been deprived of Simpsons to that point. By the time I left for college I was a Simpsons expert. 

The fucked up thing about KTEN and KXII was that KXII was all CBS. KTEN was like "we got Fox, NBC, and ABC, and we'll just decide which show from that network is best for you" I don't think they could get away with that today. 

On 2/12/2022 at 12:09 AM, NorthLoop said:

So played. 

The Gum has to be one of the better examples of all the story lines coming together.  George's escalating "insanity" as viewed by Deena is so good, of course ending with him on the street wearing the King costume.

GEORGE: I can't believe it. Look, that's Jerry Seinfeld.

DEENA: Who?

GEORGE: Jerry Seinfeld. My best friend. He can explain all of this. (calls to

Jerry) Jerry.

Jerry hears his name called and turns his head, but all he can see are blurry

colored shapes.

GEORGE: Jerry! Over here Jerry. It's me!

The car pulls away, leaving George calling after it.

GEORGE: Jerry, where y'going? It's... what're...

DEENA: (doubtful) That was your best friend?

GEORGE: Yeah, yeah, but he doesn't wear glasses.

DEENA: That man was wearing glasses.

GEORGE: I know. Don't you see. (emphatic) He was doing it to fool Lloyd Braun!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

3/1

So basically the same story-arc of "Curb Your Enthusiasm."  

I promise you when this documentary is over, and Curb runs its final season (god forbid), and Larry does his last big commercial, and the plays and musicals finish their nationwide runs, and the 'Seinfeld' series trades for the last time between syndication/streaming services...IN REAL LIFE...Larry is gonna wrap it all up somehow in the most masterful stroke of denouement the world has ever seen.  I've contested on this thread many times that he is literally, and I mean that in the literal sense of the word 'literally', the most brilliant writer at that literary instrument (denouement) since Fitzgerald, perhaps since Shakespeare.  No serious literary critic would entertain such a notion, but they're missing the technique for the medium.  

Seriously, show me a writer better at it.  TV, movies, novels, even non-fiction.  But they gotta do it on a consistent basis.  Not just some one-off blending of World's Fair and mass-murder.  It's gotta hit consistently and across media and/or genre.  I am all fucking ears...I'm looking at you Chomsky!