do you ever yearn?

Kel Varnsen

Name an episode that is less funny than The Puerto Rican Day. You can’t pick the finale because that was more about saying thanks to a lot of the guest actors on the show and was pretty classy when you look at it that way. I’ve always said The Puerto Rican Day was the least funny regular season episode of the series. No contest, so to speak. 

Listening to the local sports talk radio station today, they were talking about Aaron Rodgers and what he was going to do regarding staying with the Packers or retiring or what. They wondered whether he would make a decision in a timely fashion or if he would, “take it all the way to the Hamptons.” That was the first time I heard anyone use that expression. Am I late to the party on that one? Has anyone else heard that? That’s going into my lexicon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Listening to the local sports talk radio station today, they were talking about Aaron Rodgers and what he was going to do regarding staying with the Packers or retiring or what. They wondered whether he would make a decision in a timely fashion or if he would, “take it all the way to the Hamptons.” That was the first time I heard anyone use that expression. Am I late to the party on that one? Has anyone else heard that? That’s going into my lexicon. 

Never heard it used like that. I get the sentiment, but it’s not exactly correct. If he was lying about it the whole time, then it would make more sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You wanna get nuts?  OK, let's get nuts!

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Never heard it used like that. I get the sentiment, but it’s not exactly correct. If he was lying about it the whole time, then it would make more sense. 

It’s not about lying. It’s about taking an untenable position as far as you can take it before being forced to cave or concede. It could be about a lie or a bluff. But it can be generalized to just plain stubbornness. 

The Mahatma? I’d like to cover my head with oil and rub it all over your body? The record collection? The goiter?

Swing and a miss. That episode was great. 

Also, the idea that the group would do something unselfish like volunteer to help old people doesn’t jive with the rest of the series. 

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Also, the idea that the group would do something unselfish like volunteer to help old people doesn’t jive with the rest of the series. 

If you pay attention, and I know that you do...there are little glimpses here and there of each of them trying to better themselves through some trite attempt at selflessness that always backfires.  

I'll start---what's your favorite episode/scene where Kramer is trying to do something nice for someone else purely out of altruism?

"Occasionally, I like to help the humans."  

Just now, Lobo said:

If you pay attention, and I know that you do...there are little glimpses here and there of each of them trying to better themselves through some trite attempt at selflessness that always backfires.  

I'll start---what's your favorite episode/scene where Kramer is trying to do something nice for someone else purely out of altruism?

babu. 

21 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Does the puffy shirt count?

Does trying to throw 'em a few bucks worth of business get washed out though by slandering them in them community by accusing them of a multi-decade RICO crime effort?  

10 hours ago, Lobo said:

You kept making all the stops? 

Well people kept ringing that bell!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, Biff Tannen said:

That’s a weak argument. If you followed the show then you’d know that there are lots of instances of the characters not acting like perfect assholes. Like when Jerry gives up the great apartment because George also wants it or better yet, when he takes the giant gift box from Kathy Griffin on the plane to take back to Susan. (Off the top of my head but I think that’s right.)

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s a weak argument. If you followed the show then you’d know that there are lots of instances of the characters not acting like perfect assholes. Like when Jerry gives up the great apartment because George also wants it or better yet, when he takes the giant gift box from Kathy Griffin on the plane to take back to Susan. (Off the top of my head but I think that’s right.)

You’re right. I don’t follow the show. 

image.gif.cf12693717272a1f71bea4fcc78d6779.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/12/2021 at 4:59 PM, 4th&Five said:

Might be the pilot. 

I disagree. Just the stand-up alone in that episode is better than The Puerto Rican Day. Being out. The dryer being like the nightclub for the laundry and the sock making its escape (that was definite part of Seinfeld’s real life stand-up at the time). The cotton balls bit. And in the episode I’m pretty sure the second button bit was also from Seinfeld’s real life stand-up. The bit about judging the woman’s intent based on the greeting and then not knowing how to judge the surprise blindfold greeting was funnier than anything in The Puerto Rican Day. We also got a foreshadowing of George doing the opposite.

But let’s say you’re right. We should expect the last regular episode to be better than the first. In The Seinfeld Chronicles they were still defining characters, Kramer was called Kessler, and had a dog, and more closely resembled his character in UHF. And there was no Elaine. If you have to go all the way back to the pilot to argue a less funny episode than The Puerto Rican Day then I say that only supports my argument. 

9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

You’re right. I don’t follow the show. 

If you’re arguing that Jerry and the gang trying to donate their time to do something good for the elderly in The Old Man is a valid argument for why it’s not as funny as The Puerto Rican Day then you’re not following it closely enough. Come on, man. When was the last time you watched TPRD? How is black Saab vs. maroon Golf not just a rehash of The Parking Spot? There is the difference that the guy in The Parking Spot called Jerry a phony behind his back while the guy in the maroon Golf called Jerry a jackass to his face. And yet when Jerry went to get a soda the guy in the maroon Golf asked Jerry to get him a Dr. Pepper and Jerry said okay.

Seriously. Go watch The Puerto Rican Day again. It’s not that funny. It had six writers. They were cobbling together an episode at the end of the series and it’s demonstrative of why they were calling it quits. 

I disagree. Just the stand-up alone in that episode is better than The Puerto Rican Day. Being out. The dryer being like the nightclub for the laundry and the sock making its escape (that was definite part of Seinfeld’s real life stand-up at the time). The cotton balls bit. And in the episode I’m pretty sure the second button bit was also from Seinfeld’s real life stand-up. The bit about judging the woman’s intent based on the greeting and then not knowing how to judge the surprise blindfold greeting was funnier than anything in The Puerto Rican Day. We also got a foreshadowing of George doing the opposite.

But let’s say you’re right. We should expect the last regular episode to be better than the first. In The Seinfeld Chronicles they were still defining characters, Kramer was called Kessler, and had a dog, and more closely resembled his character in UHF. And there was no Elaine. If you have to go all the way back to the pilot to argue a less funny episode than The Puerto Rican Day then I say that only supports my argument. 

conspiring jerry seinfeld GIF by HULU

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Awkward George Costanza GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

^
just have to say again, since i miss the show "veep" so damn much...that guy was so damn brilliant as Ben Cafferty.  And Julia had such great, subtle chemistry on Veep, he must have made quite an impression on her as Joel Horeck for her to come back 20 years later and pluck him from a relatively stagnant period in his career and put him in maybe the best comedic ensemble cast ever.  

Since we're apparently having this conversation.  Favorite season.  Go.

Mine is probably actually Season 9.  I know most people disagree, but pretty much every episode is great.  Yes Ohio, even the Puerto Rican Day Parade.  Granted that is on the lower end.

But out of the gate you have The Butter Shave, The Voice, The Serenity Now, The Blood, The Junk Mail, and The Merv Griffin Show.  That is fucking STRONG.

• Hook 'Em 1

Watched the one last where Jerry goes to buy a new Saab from Puddy, who is now a salesman.  That is a freaking genius episode.  George and the vending machine/candy dispute is hilarity at the highest level.

"All I want is my $0.75 back, an apology, and for him to be fired."

Edited by Sbbruin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Season 8 easily.

• The Bizarro Jerry
  • The Little Kicks
  • The Chicken Roaster
  • The Andrea Doria
  • The Yada Yada
  • The Summer of George

And that's just the highlights. There's not a bad episode in Season 8

I go back and forth between 8 and 9.  I think by that point they really knew how the characters played off each other and the writers could get a lot more creative.  The way they intertwined the stories at that point in the series was pure genius.