2018 ACL Music Festival

South Austin

I use a camelback mule (bigger with multiple pockets) every year, and the security guys didn’t say anything when I came through. Had a buddy text me later asking about our bags (his daughter is going next week), that was the first I heard about the new policy. I would have been livid getting turned away at the gate, they should have people pointing out the policy at the shuttles before people make it that far. Not sure if I should roll the dice Sunday with it or go to one of our smaller camelbacks. 

Paul was awesome.  My wife’s favorite band is the Beatles and she had never seen him.  She loved it.  

At the start of the encore, they brought out a UK flag, a US flag and a Chilean flag.  Nothing against the good people of Chile, but I think that was probably a mistake.

1 minute ago, Stringer said:

Paul was awesome.  My wife’s favorite band is the Beatles and she had never seen him.  She loved it.  

At the start of the encore, they brought out a UK flag, a US flag and a Chilean flag.  Nothing against the good people of Chile, but I think that was probably a mistake.

1) My wife felt the same way.  Maybe we should get those two together and... um...
2) LOL, I tried to get a picture of that but didn't get it out of my pocket in time.  But yeah, I laughed.  I snagged a pic from the Statesman:

mccartneychile.png

76 fucking years old and the guy still has it. Okay the voice isn't as dazzling as it used to be but my god can that guy put on a show.  It was the best show I've seen at ACL by far, ever.

For 76 years old, he was fantastic.  I mean incredible.  I mean shit, 2 STRAIGHT hours of music - and he tackled some pretty hard shit to do. Then a 2 minute encore break and 3 songs... (spoiler in case you're going next week)

Spoiler

...topped off by "Helter Skelter" and "The End'.

I mean, holy shit, there's nobody better at his age, zero.  

Edited by phdhorn

25 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Reveal hidden contents

...topped off by "Helter Skelter" and "The End'.

I mean, holy shit, there's nobody better at his age, zero.  

I wouldn't got that far. I saw Buddy Guy a few weeks ago and at age 82 he brought a whole lot more energy/fire than Paul could muster last night. 

6 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

I thought McCartney was kind of flat and low energy.

the guy is 76. He's not mIck jagger at 70+ but to do what he does on a farily muggy night is incredible.   amazingly I didn't see him towel off or take a drink of water during the show last night.  I could do with a few less new songs since it is a festival set but it was a great show. Band on the Run was the highlight for me.

After an almost 12 hour marathoner yesterday, wife and I went for a shorter 4 hours today.  The lineup this year just seems to scream out Friday as the best of the 3 days.  However, we saw Flor and I love this group of young bucks.  Their music is exceptionally appetizing and their show today was first-rate.  I HIGHLY recommend them, plus they have a new album coming out soon. 

Flor - remember the name.

Also stopped for a few looks at CHVRCHES and was very pleased, and just before that enjoyed Blood Orange (perfect day for that, huh 48-45!).  Other than that meh.   We didn't want to stay for Metallica, so we ate good and left.

Highly recommend the Kababeque - they serve excellent greek style "stuff" and it's healthy eating as well.  

Tomorrow we'll end it up with a mid-afternoon visit to culminate in Phoenix and not sure what else.  Travis Scott is damn good but not my style.  Maybe Arctic Monkeys but not sure if I wanna stay for them and fight the crowds to get out.

Edited by phdhorn

Alright you innerwebz slap fighting bitches, give me your ideal schedule for this coming weekend. What did you find you liked and what did you find you could do without?

I’m for sure in on David Byrne and Macca Friday, but that’s about as deep into the schedule as I’ve had a chance to research. Will be spending a lot of time at work listening to down billing acts to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Although it means rushing back across to get somewhere near McCartney, try not to miss Father John Misty at Barton Springs at 6:45p.  It was a wee bit crowded over there, but Misty's show is a can't miss.  I'd recommend getting there early enough on Friday, if possible, to check a  very pleasant surprise in Big Chief. 

As for Saturday, because of the OU game and humidity, I passed on a starting lineup of Molly Bunch, Alice Merton, Ikebe Shakedown, and Curtis Harding.  That challenge won't be around next weekend, so check out a couple of those acts.  You won't be disappointed.  There was nothing between 3:30-5:30p that I'd listen to again.  Sharon Von Etten had kind of a female Arcade Fire thing (or more female than them, I suppose) going on Saturday evening, I'd highly recommend her/them (still not sure if it's a Jethro Tull situation).  CHVRCHES wasn't bad, just the flattest I've ever seen them.  Saint Vincent was rocking until Metallica started and the park turned into a chaotic shift.  Anyway, first half Saturday should be great weather, low crowds, and a chance to hear some great new music from acts you may not be overly-familiar with.  I had to sit out Sunday, but it sounded like a lot of synthesized drums and autotune (still don't know what that means).  

Curious if the Baylor game will keep a lot of people from not bothering to head down there until the headliners at 7:00p.  But start time until early evening should be a great time for anybody about thinking just going one day next weekend.  Of course, if I could go again, it would be to see Paul one more time.  

I'll second Big Thief and Alice Merton.  Looks like Molly Burch was only weekend 1, but I really dig her sound.  I enjoyed Amen Dunes for another undercard recommendation.

St. Vincent is playing Sunday next weekend.  I wish I'd seen more of her set, but headed to Metallica.  Also on Sunday, I'd highly recommend seeing Revolution, Prince's backing band.  They killed it.

This is one reason I'm sorry I didn't go TX/OU weekend.  The atmosphere in that tent is electric.  It's a great place to watch a game.

It was insanity. Loud as fuck and we couldn’t get the beer out fast enough.

As for what I saw from the bar-

Brockhamptom Friday night. Fun rap group that had the crowd moving. I believe they are from the Uk

As mentioned above - St Vincent

Also the first band on Sunday - Shame brought a bad ass Green Day vibe and fucking rocked a shitty time slot.

Metallica was insane.