Need a wheelchair

jimmyjazz

A buddy who has battling MS for quite a while is at the point where he needs a wheelchair.  He doesn't want anything but a manual, fold-up type, but even that is hard for him to swing financially.  While there are plenty of us who could chip in and help -- it's been a given and will be going forward -- he is justifiably a proud man and would like to not always lean on the kindness of friends.  

I guess maybe leaning on the kindness of strangers is better?  It's tough.  Are there services out there that provide wheelchairs and such for low-income folks?  This is in Austin.

Not much . . . it's not really the cost, it's the dependence on friends that seems to get old for him.  A very basic model seems to be ~ $200 and they go way up from there.

We can pay for it.  If we could find it through a program for which he qualifies, that would help push off his continued reliance on his immediate circle just a bit.  He's still making money, but not much.

Is he on medicare?  Medicare covers wheelchairs, with a doctor's note, and there are a number of places that will just deliver and take care of all the paperwork if he qualfies.

Well, wait, I thought SSDI included Medicare, maybe it's only Medicaid.  Still worth a look and you can look for approved Medicare vendors and they can probably tell you.

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not much . . . it's not really the cost, it's the dependence on friends that seems to get old for him.  A very basic model seems to be ~ $200 and they go way up from there.

We can pay for it.  If we could find it through a program for which he qualifies, that would help push off his continued reliance on his immediate circle just a bit.  He's still making money, but not much.

on a serious note, we've got a Goodwill store  nearby.  A friend of ours had a temporary need for a wheelchair.  I got one at Goodwill for 15 bucks. 

If the sticking point is that he doesn’t want his friends buying it, sign him up for a “program” that provided him with a free or subsidized wheelchair.  

I would be careful of the cheap wheelchairs.  If he’s going to spend a lot of time in it, you want one that is comfortable with good utility.  If he’s being driven places frequently, it needs to fit easily into those vehicles. 

I bought one at Harbor Freight 11 years ago (paid $110 for a decent chrome-plated foldable chair with footrests) after Mrs. Brat broke her ankle at the opening home game at DKRTMS. Several family members & friends used it off & on over the years before we gave it to Roflbox when his mom needed one.  Told him to pass it on if somebody else needed one whenever it was not in use, so you might contact him.

Looks just like this one:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Armybrat

On 9/30/2018 at 9:43 PM, Armybrat said:

I bought one at Harbor Freight 11 years ago (paid $110 for a decent chrome-plated foldable chair with footrests) after Mrs. Brat broke her ankle at the opening home game at DKRTMS. Several family members & friends used it off & on over the years before we gave it to Roflbox when his mom needed one.  Told him to pass it on if somebody else needed one whenever it was not in use, so you might contact him.

Looks just like this one:

maxresdefault.jpg

Needs more bell.

BpXHuqDA8oN1M2UD54_dv-3UsVuEyfJyCZCxlzjO