Tulsa @ Temple - 6:30 ESPN - Thursday Night College Football

El Diablo

Just got back from Tulsa this week. When you remember that Tulsa is a private institution, which is expensive and a third choice for recruits in-state, with only 4,000 students (smaller than some Texas Highschools?), it's kinda sad to think we barely won. It's very much like barely beating UNT or Rice.

Kinda sad?

14 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

So, does the way this game is going mean that USC sucks?

The way last Saturday went means USC sucks.

Do I think Temple, who has lost to 1AA Villanova, in football, and Buffalo, is better than Texas and would beat them head to head? No. Could one make a legit argument based on multiple common opponents? Yes. That is sad.

14 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I don't know what happened to Tulsa. The first or second year with Montgomery at the helm I think they had a 10 win season. I guess it must be hard to recruit there. 

Yeah it's weird.  Tulsa has had some decent success over the past decade or so, under both Steve Kragthorpe and Todd Graham... they were typically fighting it out with Houston there for a while as one of the two or three best teams in C-USA.

But then they stupidly hired Bill Blakenship, who thought he could field a competitive team with mostly all Oklahoma kids, which set them back a few years right as they were moving into the AAC.

I really thought Montgomery would really do well there with his connections to Texas high school recruits and his Rape U offense.  But yeah they've been a disaster the past two years.  The problem is that he just hasn't been able to recruit a good QB... which is interesting because the guys they have on the roster were supposed to be decent recruits. 

The one good year he had was with a QB (Dane Evans) who he inherited from Blankenship.

31 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah it's weird.  Tulsa has had some decent success over the past decade or so, under both Steve Kragthorpe and Todd Graham... they were typically fighting it out with Houston there for a while as one of the two or three best teams in C-USA.

But then they stupidly hired Bill Blakenship, who thought he could field a competitive team with mostly all Oklahoma kids, which set them back a few years right as they were moving into the AAC.

I really thought Montgomery would really do well there with his connections to Texas high school recruits and his Rape U offense.  But yeah they've been a disaster the past two years.  The problem is that he just hasn't been able to recruit a good QB... which is interesting because the guys they have on the roster were supposed to be decent recruits. 

The one good year he had was with a QB (Dane Evans) who he inherited from Blankenship.

When Stidham (now at Auburn) committed to BU, Chad President decommitted and followed Montgomery to TU. The Baylor faithful were certain that President was going to be the next Briles miracle QB, he was a local kid, Temple/Killeen area iirc. I think that Art worked directly with QB's at Baylor. Montgomery ran the offense but not specifically the QB's. At least that's the way I think it was. It does seem odd for Montgomery not to be able to land and/or develop a QB with his supposed knowledge and experience with that offense.

I’ll be happy to move on from Montgomery. I hate wanting to see Tulsa do well while hoping that everyone associated with Briles gets excommunicated from the sport entirely. Let’s get someone I can truly support, which at this point would be anyone not associated with rape apologists and enablers.