2018-19 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

I was at the VTO today and will be back mañana. Best field in a while. Spieth is 2 off the lead and starts early in the AM.
It got pretty hot (mid 80s) this afternoon, compared to the early practice rounds in the 60s for a high.
Jordan should be able to attack the pins early, while it’s cooler and softer greens.
He’s playing with Johnny Vegas and Billy Ho, so it’s a good group. Vegas is one off the lead heading into tomorrow.

i kinda miss the Shell Houston Open being played the week before the Masters.  loved how they made the greens and rough and fairways similar to Augusta.

why am i just learning that there are plans to play the Houston Open in 2020 at a refurbished Memorial Park?  holy shit.  that's crazy.  but very cool if it happens.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/golf/article/With-eyes-on-Houston-Open-s-2020-move-to-13539584.php

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Meh...... Ancer more like a darkhorse to win his 1st pga tournament on U.S. soil.....

It's 10:58am..... and OU SUCKS!!!!

He's def not a dark-horse at the Valero lol. 

I thought he had qualified for Augusta already though - looks like he either needs a win or a placing to vault him into the top 50. 

3 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

i kinda miss the Shell Houston Open being played the week before the Masters.  loved how they made the greens and rough and fairways similar to Augusta.

why am i just learning that there are plans to play the Houston Open in 2020 at a refurbished Memorial Park?  holy shit.  that's crazy.  but very cool if it happens.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/golf/article/With-eyes-on-Houston-Open-s-2020-move-to-13539584.php

Agreed....GCOH was a great pre-Masters venue because of the setup similar to Augusta. TPC course in SA can't really duplicate that so it becomes more of a place to either just get swings in or to qualify for the Masters. While the field may be the best Valero Texas Open has ever had, it pales to some of the fields the SHO had just a couple of years back. 

While it sounds cool that the Houston Open will move to Memorial Park, outside of the first year for the novelty of it I don't see the major pros, other than Texas guys like Spieth, turning out to play Memorial Park. The renovations are only $13 mil and I don't see how they are going to make the course long enough or challenging enough to attract good names, especially during October. Logistics of course will be a nightmare as that area of Houston is not easy to get into at all. 

There's a news story in there somehow to look at how the HGA and Steve Timms screwed the pooch on having one of the best set ups in golf for a non-major tournament. Have it on good authority that after Shell ended its sponsorship, there were several major corporations that offered 5 year sponsorship deals and were turned down by HGA because it wasn't longer. Somehow, the well also got poisoned with GCOH's owners Estancia, though there is plenty of blame on the Estancia side too from what I understand. While Jim Crane deserves some credit for reviving the event, the Astros Foundation probably won't continue with it after the 5 year run unless the event gets a better date and a better venue than Memorial Park to get some of the bigger names attending. The problem with Houston is there just aren't that many courses that are able and willing to host a PGA event. The beauty of GCOH is it was built specifically for that purpose. 

33 minutes ago, PencilPusher said:

The problem with Houston is there just aren't that many courses that are able and willing to host a PGA event. The beauty of GCOH is it was built specifically for that purpose. 

Play it at Herman Park, and show the underside of Houston. No worry though it's only a 2 minute golf cart ride to the Ben Taub ER.

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Augusta women's amateur is on GC now, and then on CBS at noon.

Course looks amazing, I'd love to know the speed of the greens today vs. next week

About to Start on NBC...... two Longhorns in the Finals....

TV Coverage Final Round 3 -- Saturday, April 6
Final Round coverage: 11a-2 pm cst on NBC and NBCSports.comFinal

After 2nd Rd of Augusta Nat'l Women's Amateur (ANWA)

T3   Kaitlyn Papp.                 -3   

T 21   Agathe Laisne           +3  (advanced in Top30 playoff)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

T33   Emilee Hoffman          MC

• Like 1

Jordan couldn’t find the fairway on his front nine. First close approach on #10, he missed the birdie, but flipped the switch after that and was -5 on the back nine.

Two totally “different” approaches to hitting his driver on the back - I don’t know, but he found fairways. If he shoots 5-7 under or better tomorrow, look out for Spieth at Augusta. Tee shots aren’t held to a premium as much there, compared to this week’s course in SA, which usually has a Top 5 scoring average as the toughest on tour the last couple of years.

19 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Scroll up to my post from awhile back. Think we cracked the code, it happened when he got married.

Spieth's struggles started well before he got married..... Really hasn't played well since winning The 2017 Open....

Edited by LTtxfan

16 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Jordan couldn’t find the fairway on his front nine. First close approach on #10, he missed the birdie, but flipped the switch after that and was -5 on the back nine.

Two totally “different” approaches to hitting his driver on the back - I don’t know, but he found fairways. If he shoots 5-7 under or better tomorrow, look out for Spieth at Augusta. Tee shots aren’t held to a premium as much there, compared to this week’s course in SA, which usually has a Top 5 scoring average as the toughest on tour the last couple of years.

If Jordan keeps putting better, his Driver will probably decide whether he's in contention on the final back-nine of the 2019 Masters....

Mike Greller has said that Jordan tends to putt better at Augusta because the greens require more feel.  Jordan tends to not use his greens book as much at Augusta, so maybe Jordan gets out of his own way more.....

Also should be much easier to forget about missed short putts at Augusta...... lots of players miss short putts on those difficult greens.

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If Jordan keeps putting better, his Driver will probably decide whether he's in contention on the final back-nine of the 2019 Masters....

Mike Greller has said that Jordan tends to putt better at Augusta because the greens require more feel.  Jordan tends to not use his greens book as much at Augusta, so maybe Jordan gets out of his own way more.....

Also should be much easier to forget about missed short putts at Augusta...... lots of players miss short putts on those difficult greens.

The amount of time these guys spend looking at their books drives me crazy.

Just catching up on the Corey Conners story - I hadn't seen he was a Monday qualifier, so he went from that this week to playing in Augusta.

He as played in 13 PGA Tour events this (wrap) season, with 8 missed cuts and T41, T23, T3, 2 and now a win - just goes to show that you can do well without much consistency.

18 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Just catching up on the Corey Conners story - I hadn't seen he was a Monday qualifier, so he went from that this week to playing in Augusta.

He as played in 13 PGA Tour events this (wrap) season, with 8 missed cuts and T41, T23, T3, 2 and now a win - just goes to show that you can do well without much consistency.

And that gets you from 423 to 84 on the OWGR, on the cusp of making the WGC events (or what I call the rich get richer events)

Edited by Wally Fairway

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Spieth's struggles started well before he got married..... Really hasn't played well since winning The 2017 Open....

This.  Has not won since.

It actually seemed like his game fell apart after he had the bout with mono in Nov/Dec 2017.  Lost weight, had no practice time for almost 2 months. When he came back in January 2018, his game was off, and got worse.  

Edited by AustinMT

• 2 weeks later...

and now back to your regularly scheduled programming
this week the PGA Tour brings you the RBC Heritage from Habour Town
sure seems like a pretty big let down from last week

The field includes Jordan, DJ, Cantlay, Conners, BDC; but it seems to me like a week Furyk, Kucher, Poulter, Kinser or someone like Cam Smith could win

Don't worry it is only 5 weeks until the next major - PGA Championship @ Bethpage Black (May 16-19....who do you think will be the favorite?)

I had no idea there was a retirement plan for PGA player, and over 600 of them have accounts with > $1,000,000 balances.

Interesting article into that side of the business

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/hundreds-of-pro-golfers-have-over-1-million-in-their-pga-tour-retirement-accounts-2019-04-24?mod=mw_theo_homepage

I mean I follow golf quite a bit, and I doubt I could name 600 guys who played, let alone that had played well enough to get a six figure retirement account.