2018-19 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

Pretty funny how Zingerrr commented that Bjerregaard wasn't making any long putts today..... then right after the Dane sinks a bomb for eagle on #16, then an 18 footer for birdie on #17.

Great match.....

Edited by LTtxfan

36 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

He married Marty Akins daughter. Marty ran the wishbone at Texas for three years in the early 70’s. Probably the best who has ever done it.

Great article on Angela Akins.... Sergio's wife

https://www.ajc.com/sports/golf/who-angela-akins-sergio-garcia-wife/gxapVjHMzD7c02PVV50ZrN/ 

She was a Golf Channel reporter. 

She was also a college golfer......   Akins transferred from Texas Christian University to the University of Texas, where she played for the UT women’s golf team. 

Former Longhorns QB Marty Akins is her Dad.  Drew Brees is her cousin.  And she has converted Sergio to a Longhorn fan.

Edited by LTtxfan

Qtr Final Matches Completed:

Molinari  defeats  🎶 Na Na Na Na  🎶   6&5

Kisner   defeats   Oosthuizen   2&1

Bjerregaard   defeats  Tiger.      1up          

Kuchar  defeats  Sergio  2upst

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semifinals -- Sunday March 31st
  • MattKuchar (23)

9:20 AM  cst     

• LucasBjerregaard (50)

• FrancescoMolinari (7)

9:05 AM cst 

• KevinKisner (48)

20 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

her grandfather is Ray Akins, a Texas HS Football coaching legend (WW2 Marine sniper in the pacific) 

Her great great great great great great great grandfather crossed the Deleware with Washington. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Kisner needs to be on Ryder Cup teams.

Agreed..... Furyk screwed up on his 2018 Ryder Cup team picks by not picking Kisner.

Tiger is fortunate to not be playing this morning in Austin...... windy and low 40s right now.  Might be better for him physically in preparation for The Masters to have played only 5 matches instead of 7 matches.

He married Marty Akins daughter. Marty ran the wishbone at Texas for three years in the early 70’s. Probably the best who has ever done it.

Marty Akins was my football hero as a kid, I also ran the wishbone until senior year and I emulated everything he did. That’s really cool, I wish she like “older” men.

18 minutes ago, HoustonHorn said:

What is the consensus from the players about Austin Country Club? I haven't played it in a long time but it seemed like back then it was a mix of great holes with some gimmicky holes. From watching on TV they've definitely made changes.

I think it's a great layout for a PGA event - especially fun for a match play. 

Some of the greens are pretty wicked and generally small targets. Mix of pretty short holes with some longer ones. Seems like the 3s and 4s play shorter and the 5s make up for that distance a bit.  

#13 is just a great golf hole any way you slice it (npi). That tee shot will put some hair on your peaches. 

The rough is pretty forgiving throughout but it's definitely a ball striker's course - narrow fairways and a lot of pins you have to go right at for a makeable birdie. 

Thanks, that's a good summary. I do think it is a course that has a lot of intrigue in this type of format. They've obviously lengthened some of the holes as well. Especially in the front, which was the back when I played it 20 years ago.

I think it's a great layout for a PGA event - especially fun for a match play. 
Some of the greens are pretty wicked and generally small targets. Mix of pretty short holes with some longer ones. Seems like the 3s and 4s play shorter and the 5s make up for that distance a bit.  
#13 is just a great golf hole any way you slice it (npi). That tee shot will put some hair on your peaches. 
The rough is pretty forgiving throughout but it's definitely a ball striker's course - narrow fairways and a lot of pins you have to go right at for a makeable birdie. 

Already posted on Texas Women's Golf thread, but adding here just in case some golf fans are unaware...... 3 Lady Longhorns in this historic field

After 1st Rd of Augusta Nat'l Women's Amateur (ANWA)

T15   Agathe Laisne             Even

T15   Kaitlyn Papp.               Even          

T33   Emilee Hoffman          +3

https://www.anwagolf.com/en_US/scores/index.html

3 Round Tournament, but only Top 30 advance to the Finals in Round 3 on Saturday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TV Coverage Final Round 3 -- Saturday, April 6

Round 3 start time: 9 a.m. cst
Early coverage: 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. cst on Golf Channel and NBCSports.com
End of round coverage: 11am -2 p.m. cst on NBC and NBCSports.com

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Whatever happened to my old buddy Bowdog, for too long I poked fun at him and his PGA tour failings - even using the name 80wditch

Good write up about Steven at PGA tour.com, he had back surgery last year and is in recovery and rehab, looking to return to the tour next year - via playing on the Web.com.

https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2019/04/03/steven-bowditch-valero-texas-open-former-champ-upbeat-recovery-back-injury.html