Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

I've been to that old dollar theater for a corporate event back in 2001 or so. Not great. 

The El Fenix inside Ridgmar lasted until about 2000. It got turned into an indoor miniature golf place. Called it "Moon Golf" because the balls were neon and the lights were dimmed. Weird concept. I only go there now for the movies. 

16 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I haven't been inside Ridgmar in fucking ages, can't even imagine what it looks like now. 

I grew up going there all the time.  I will occasionally take my daughter to a movie there and walk through and go to the aquarium there as an easy way to kill a couple of hours in the A/C.  It's beyond depressing.  Probably 80% of the stores are vacant, and the ones that are open are weird.  I think there is one restaurant in the food court that is open.  One of the anchor spots is a self storage place now.  The Dillards turned into a Last Call Dillards or whatever they call it and they take up maybe 30% of one floor of the space.  Neiman Marcus and Sears are closed.  I have no idea how they keep the doors open.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DeepEastTexas said:

The El Fenix inside Ridgmar lasted until about 2000. It got turned into an indoor miniature golf place. Called it "Moon Golf" because the balls were neon and the lights were dimmed. Weird concept. I only go there now for the movies. 

Now it's an indoor remote control car track.  I don't even think they sell anything there, just a place for some nerds to come race their cars and hang out.

Quite the random collection of restaurants they're assembling. 

The popular West Side Cafe, which had faced an uncertain future since its founder’s death, has been sold to a longtime manager and will continue with support from successful neighbor JD’s Hamburgers, the partners announced Tuesday.

West Side Cafe, a breakfast and lunch diner that opened in 1996 and feels even older, has made lists for the “Best Chicken-Fried Steaks in Texas.”

The cafe, 7950 Camp Bowie Blvd. West, consistently draws lines for breakfasts and plate lunches with a wide choice of vegetables.

It’s also known for its wall displays honoring the Western Hills and north Benbrook neighborhoods’ military and defense tradition. 

A 20-year general manager, Joel Hancock, has bought the restaurant from the family of late founder Tracey Sanford. 

Hancock will run the cafe with support from business and marketing partners Bourke Harvey and Gigi Howell of nearby smash-hit JD's Hamburgers.

Harvey and Howell also partnered to buy Margie’s Italian Kitchen, a 70-year-old postwar pasta restaurant and roadside-Americana landmark on Camp Bowie West. 

Harvey is also the founder of Curly’s Frozen Custard and a partner in Rogers Roundhouse, a burger grill.

The partners’ announcement promised the same pancakes, chicken-and-dumplings and senior specials as always, now also available via delivery services.

West Side Cafe is open for breakfast and lunch daily; 817-560-1996, fortworthwestsidecafe.com.

JD’s Hamburgers, 9901 Camp Bowie Blvd. West, recently resumed lunch and dinner service Wednesdays through Saturdays and lunch Sundays after months of building repairs. 

That Bourke Harvey cat appears to be a Longhorn. 

46 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Quite the random collection of restaurants they're assembling. 

That Bourke Harvey cat appears to be a Longhorn. 

Have enjoyed meals at every location but always look forward to Parker County Peach Custard at Curly's in July. 

On 8/13/2023 at 9:50 PM, Herbie Hancock said:

That whole plot of land is like 80% vacant, right? The strip center that used to have Spencer's Corner is a ghost town and had been for what feels like a decade

When was Spencer's Corner there in that strip center? The only one I remember was on University, which I spent a great deal of time during my younger days.

Talk me out of trying to buy a rental property or two in oakhurst as that side of downtown blows up, along with butler redevelopment and all the other developments popping up in that united riverside/scenic bluff pocket. One solid grocery store away from popping it seems like (granting FWISD is a lost cause). 

Talk me out of trying to buy a rental property or two in oakhurst as that side of downtown blows up, along with butler redevelopment and all the other developments popping up in that united riverside/scenic bluff pocket. One solid grocery store away from popping it seems like (granting FWISD is a lost cause). 
What are the houses going for and what could you rent it for? My buddy's dad lives in a pretty nice place just off Yucca.

15 hours ago, Dr Fear said:
On 8/21/2023 at 12:28 AM, bluto said:

What are the houses going for and what could you rent it for? My buddy's dad lives in a pretty nice place just off Yucca.

not even looking at it as an immediate cash flow play, it’s a tread water waiting on appreciation to kick in with that side of town/downtown developing in the next couple years, and of course the turbo charge potential when interest rates chill out. 

On 8/21/2023 at 12:28 AM, bluto said:

too late to get into Como or Sunset Heights?

Oakhurst definitely could have some upside, it's possible it could turn out like east austin. 

On 8/24/2023 at 2:42 PM, DallasSooner said:

IF I made it to Ft. Worth on Saturday.  Where would be my best BBQ bets? I am not standing in line at Goldees so that's out.  I'm thinking Panther City and Daynes.  Anywhere else you might suggest on that level?  Brix?  Thanks!

1.a. Brix.

1.b. Panther City.

These two places are .4 of a mile from each other. Panther City will likely have the longer line though.

From the above murder. 

Purdy was placed in the back of a patrol unit after officers patted him down. Several minutes later, an officer saw movement in the back of the patrol car and found Purdy holding the handle of a pistol, the affidavit said. Purdy had taken the 9mm handgun apart and thrown pieces out of the patrol car when the officer opened the door to check on him. Police believe he’d hidden the gun in his crotch area. 

Solid work, PD. 

Search is borked as usual, so can’t tell if we’ve discussed this one before. 
https://www.slicecitypizzamenu.com
Somewhere around the big-ass Central Market lot, supposedly has a pretty good NY-style. Yay or nay? 

Search is borked as usual, so can’t tell if we’ve discussed this one before. 
https://www.slicecitypizzamenu.com
Somewhere around the big-ass Central Market lot, supposedly has a pretty good NY-style. Yay or nay? 

I liked it. Stopped by and got a slice of pepperoni and one of Mexican. It’s not New York because it’s not NYC water nor at sea level but it’s really good and doesn’t cost like a cane Rosso.

I’ll stop by for take home pies next time. I’ll get a Greek with sausage no shrooms and a mexican.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I liked it. Stopped by and got a slice of pepperoni and one of Mexican. It’s not New York because it’s not NYC water nor at sea level but it’s really good and doesn’t cost like a cane Rosso.

I’ll stop by for take home pies next time. I’ll get a Greek with sausage no shrooms and a mexican.

I stopped in once and it was good and quick, actually busy with good mix of people eating there too.  

Slice city is in my weekly lunch rotation. Very solid slice and nice folks running it. Be careful during school yr as AHHS run amok every day just before 1 I think is when the rush starts, so damn genius having a pizza slice shop across from an open campus lunch school. 

there used to be a matriarch type (I assume) who ran it regularly who was a smoke show. Haven’t seen her in forever tho. 

I moved to Fort Worth from Austin in April to be closer to my girlfriend. Love it here. Where do y'all watch Longhorn games? I went to World of Beer, the Texas Exes bar, for Rice and Bama. It's not bad, but they were severely understaffed for the Bama game, which sucked, since it was a big crowd. Took forever to get food & drinks. Any other good options?

My girlfriend and I used to go to Trinity College Irish Pub to watch football when we were dating long distance, but they just reopened in a much smaller space and it's not quite what it used to be. Still cool, but not the best for game watching.