Fort Worth is exploding

wild_turkey

This is long, but... 

Christmas is coming early to Crockett Row in Fort Worth’s West 7th area. The long-awaited, 16,000-square-foot Foodhall at Crockett Row, managed by Hospitality Alliance, reportedly will be ready to welcome holiday crowds.

The grand opening is planned for Dec. 7 and 8.

Food-hall concepts have been popping up around the country. Plano welcomed Legacy Food Hall nearly a year ago, and another food hall is planned for what is being called The Districtin Plano’s Legacy Central development, which is under construction.

Not to be confused with old-school food courts, which are heavy on fast-food chains and plastic cafeteria trays, modern food halls keep the focus on local chefs and concepts, while upping the ante on interior design and amenities — you know, “the cool factor.”

Kevin Lillis, CEO of Hospitality Alliance, told me, in a previous interview, that as much thought goes into the state-of-the-art sound systems and Instagram-worthy backdrops as it does into the actual layout. The Foodhall at Crockett Row will be no different.

The developers have collected local purveyors that, they believe, will be of interest to a Fort Worth audience. Previous announcements have included: Dallas celebrity chef John Tesar, who will bring his Knife Burger, which will be his first restaurant in Fort Worth; barbecue joint Not Just Q; Rollin’ n Bowlin’; Press Waffle Co.; EB2; The Dock; Shawarma Bar; Aina Poke Co.; and Gigi’s Cupcakes. More on those below.

Recently added to the Foodhall’s lineup are Butler’s Cabinet from chef Joshua Harmon and a new concept by Fort Worth chef Victor Villarreal called Abe Froman’s of Fort Worth.

Harmon’s background includes Junction Craft Kitchen, an acclaimed but short-lived Deep Ellum restaurant; Grace in downtown Fort Worth; and the long-gone Milk & Honey Co. in Keller. He also created the seasonal French menu at Main Street Bistro & Bakery in Grapevine.

Harmon’s Butler’s Cabinet will be a deli and marketplace. The concept is “inspired by a love of discovering treats in his mother’s pantry as a child,” the release says. “The menu will include sandwiches such as the Deviled Belly Melt with housemade American cheese and maple-miso smoked onions, as well as the Country Ham with sour cherry, fresh cheese, housemade koji butter and greens.

Harmon will source produce locally and make many ingredients in house, including smoked and cured meats, cheeses and pickles.” Beverages will include The Fig Lebowski — a cold brew with fig-espresso syrup — and the Black Fog London, made with Earl Grey tea, vanilla syrup and charcoal milk.

Chef Victor Villarreal, with credits that include stints at local restaurants Clay Pigeon Food and Drink, Grace and Magnolia Cheese Co., will debut Abe Froman’s of Fort Worth. The stall’s name is a nod to “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.”: In one scene, Ferris and his friends get past a snooty maître d’ at a fancy restaurant when Ferris pretends to be Abe Froman, “The Sausage King of Chicago.”

The menu will feature house-made pizza and, yes, sausage.

A press release says, “The namesake signature pizza will feature a sausage meatball-stuffed crust with ricotta and pear relish topped with more sausage. Other menu items include a variety of calzones and the Woodstock pizza with ricotta, goat cheese, honey, caramelized onion and blueberries.” Yes, blueberries.

Other stops will include Rollin’ n Bowlin’, featuring açaí bowls. Owners Sophia Karbowski and Austin Patry, who started the food truck when they were still entrepreneurial students at TCU, are transitioning from a food truck to a brick-and-mortar spot.

Not Just Q, from former TCU football player David Hawthorne, is known for its pepper-crusted brisket and fall-apart pulled pork. The Foodhall location will be the first brick-and-mortar version of his popular barbecue truck.

EB2 is a Mexican-street food concept from Dallas chef Justin Box. There will be a fun elotes bar with choice of toppings as well as a rotating menu of fruite con chile. Box will make fresh tajin (that spicy and tangy season-all) and other chili-powder blends in-house and will source ingredients from Mexico and from local farms.

Press Waffle Co. will serve Belgian-style waffles. Sweet varieties like the Elvis (topped with peanut butter, bananas, honey and bacon crumbles — share the stage with savories like the Monte Cristo (Black Forest ham, smoked turkey, white American cheese and blackberry jam).

Brett Curtis will cover coastal seafood fare at The Dock. Expect items such as Terrapin crab cake sliders served with pesto and smoked bacon, New England-style lobster rolls, and dynamite shrimp (a sweet-and-spicy dish served with an Asian slaw).

Another bar-style concept is Shawarma Bar, from owner Yasar Khalaf. Shawarma stalls are everywhere in the Middle East, but still a rarity in North Texas. Various customizable shawarma bowls include roasted meats (lamb, chicken and lamb gyro) or falafel with fresh toppings, vegetables, sauces and dips.

Aina Poke Co. will serve traditional Hawaiian poke.

“Owner Kevin Nguyen Ho will source high quality, sushi-grade fish and fresh vegetables to create poke bowls with vibrant toppings such as pickled cucumber made in-house,” the release says.

Cupcakes, cakes, cookies and more can be found at Gigi’s Cupcakes. Their freshly baked cupcakes come in gourmet flavors like: holiday mocha machiatto and lemon icebox studded with lemon shortbread crumbles. Gluten-free cupcakes are also available.

Along with his Knife Burger, John Tesar will bring a full-service Knife Bar to the foodhall.

The centrally located bar will offer “craft cocktails, select cocktails on tap, wines by the bottle and on tap, as well as a rotating selection of frozen cocktails, such as a French 75 or Moscow mule. Beers will be available on draft and in cans or bottles with a emphasis on local and regional offerings,” according to the release.

Foodhall at Crockett Row will be at the northwest corner of Crockett Street and Norwood Street in Crockett Row at West 7th. Parking will be available in Crockett Row garages (free with validation from Crockett Row merchants). Be aware that many streets in the West 7th area (including Crockett and Norwood) are now one-way streets.

For more information, visit crockettrow.com and follow Crockett Row at West 7th on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@CrockettRowW7th).

Huh, thought this place was doing fairly well. Guess not. 

We don’t have any details yet, but there’s no missing the CLOSED sign in the “cover photo” space on Dive Oyster Bar’s Facebook page.

It appears to be kinda sudden: There’s a Nov. 1 post touting shrimp tacos, oysters Laredo and oysters Rockefeller. Then there’s the CLOSED post, which was put up at 2:15 p.m. Nov. 5. There is no explanation, although there is a series of (mostly) supportive comments.

Dive opened in late 2015 as a concept from seafood chef Josh Rangel and the owners of Oscar’s Pub, another west Fort Worth establishment. Rangel had worked in the kitchen at Waters, Fort Worth chef Jon Bonnell’s upscale seafood restaurant.

“Local chefs have, for a while now, been dressing up burgers, tacos and pizzas, garnishing them with gourmet ingredients,” Star-Telegram contributor Malcolm Mayhew wrote in an early-2016 review. “Rangel applies a similar philosophy to raw oysters. During our visit, you could order oysters topped with chimichurri sauce, grapefruit vodka, ponzu sauce and ginger.”

Under Rangel, the Dive also offered a killer burger as well as seafood. But Rangel left later in the year to join La Perla, a downtown Fort Worth restaurant that closed in 2017 (the former La Perla spot is now home to a Black Rooster Bakery location).

Beginning in early 2018, the Dive began serving Tex-Mex to the menu and, according to Star-Telegram “Eats Beat” columnist, dropped some high-end items from its menu.

The Dive was at 3620 Alta Mere Drive, in a building that once housed the original location of Salsa Fuego (Salsa Fuego’s descendant, Fuego Burger, is just down the road at 4400 Benbrook Hwy No. 108), as well as a satellite location of Charley’s Old-Fashioned Hamburgers and, before that, a Kentucky Fried Chicken.

We have queries out to the Dive and will update if we hear anything.

12 hours ago, spystud13 said:

Anyone been to Catch on Camp Bowie? Didn’t even know it existed until I saw it linked on Dive’s FB page. 

Similar to Flying Fish menu wise.  Catfish is pretty tasty along with the gumbo.  Cheese grits disappointed.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2018 at 8:11 AM, Dr Fear said:

Doing a "hard hat" tour of the new arena today, pics forthcoming!

Dickey’s Arena?  

Been years since spending anytime in FW, very impressed how nice the Town/Sundance Sq is.   Jr. had his wedding reception this weekend at the FIrestone/Robertson Distillery, very nice place. 

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:13 AM, spystud13 said:

Anyone been to Catch on Camp Bowie? Didn’t even know it existed until I saw it linked on Dive’s FB page. 

Very similar to Flying Fish, but not as good.  They use Cumin in their batter and on their fries.  I've been twice, not high on my list.  I'd rather go to Flying Fish.  About the same price wise.

I went to the recently reopened Sammie's BBQ on Belknap for lunch on Saturday after reading their new pitmaster is from La Barbecue. I had the two meat platter with two sides. The lean brisket was moist and tender, and the pork ribs were very good. Added bonus for me was the mustard potato salad which few places seem to get right, but this place does. 

In Austin for the day, eats in DFW: 

Thursday - Whataburger, CFS @ Fred’s Texas Cafe

Friday - Ol’ South Pancake House, Pecan Lodge, Babe’s Fried Chicken

Saturday- Torchy’s, Fuzzy’s, Wedding Reception, walked around Water Gardens, Sundance Sq. 

Sunday - Breadwinners for breakfast. 

36 minutes ago, LW Goatman said:

I need some recs on Thanksgiving, either dine in or take home. This will be for about 8 people. Would prefer traditional thanksgiving meal and really the dine out idea is preferable.

I know Bonnell's is doing take home meals. I don't know anyone who has done it, but it's gotta be pretty good.  I wouldn't wait much longer to decide.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10218154679963518&set=a.1208080207188&type=3&theater

On 11/12/2018 at 2:45 PM, LW Goatman said:

I need some recs on Thanksgiving, either dine in or take home. This will be for about 8 people. Would prefer traditional thanksgiving meal and really the dine out idea is preferable.

Whole bunch of options here. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/entertainment/restaurants/article220041185.html

• Like 1

Eatzi's is in the link. 

Eatzi’s Market & Bakery

The “European-style market” will be closed on Thanksgiving Day, but all locations will offer a Thanksgiving menu for pickup. Entrees include organge-bourbon vanilla-glazed ham, cranberry chipotle glazed turkey breast, oven-roasted turkey breast, chipotle-bacon glazed smoked turkey leg and more; lots of stuffing, sauces, sides, salads, sweets and even some things that don’t start with ‘s’ to go with that. For a full menu and prices, visit https://eatzis.com/thanksgiving. Pickup available Nov. 15-21. 1540 S. University Drive No. 100, Fort Worth, 817-945-9095; 1200 W. State Highway 114, Grapevine, 817-527-4007; locations also in Dallas and Plano, https://eatzis.com

Edited by spystud13

Grimaldi’s Coal Brick-Oven Pizzeria, the New York-style chain, has had signs up in the Shops at Clearfork for months. It’s had its eye on Fort Worth for years. And it’s finally going to open Dec. 14 in the Clearfork location.

Grimaldi’s is known for old-school, dough-tossing, don’t-eat-it-with-a-fork, fold-the-slice, black-bottom, thin-crust, thick-topped pizza. Or as a release put it, “Grimaldi’s is famous for its coal-burning ovens, which are heated by 100 pounds of coal per day at a temperature of up to 1,200 degrees, delivering a unique smoky-flavored thin crust.” But we like our description better.

The first hint of a Grimaldi’s coming to Fort Worth, according to our archives, was in 2014, when it was looking at the WestBend shopping center off of University Drive. That didn’t happen, which might account for why it took four more years for a Grimaldi’s to finally open in Fort Worth.

The first Dallas location opened in 2008; the first Tarrant County location opened in 2012 in Grapevine. The Clearfork location will be the eighth overall in North Texas. The chain’s origins date back to 1905 in New York City, but it is now based in Scottsdale, Ariz.

The 3,900 square-foot restaurant will have a main dining room seating 126, as well as a 29-seat covered patio, because Shops at Clearfork is big on restaurants with patios. Along with pizzas, it will offer calzones, salads, New York-style cheesecakes, specialty cocktails, craft beers, “a robust wine list” and more.

The new location will be at 5726 Monahans Ave. Suite J200. For more information, visit https://www.grimaldispizzeria.com.

Pretty damn big pizza joint. 

Question:

I live in the flight path of Meacham and damn there are private planes coming and going it seems at all times. Many of them are of the larger variety it seems-like a G4/5 etc.  Who the hell owns these things besides the Bass family. As we all know Ft. Worth has had trouble getting and keeping the large corps that would have a fleet. Are these families/individuals who own all these jets?

DeepEastTexas & I went to the new Dutch's bar addition tonight before the TCU hoops game, they did that shit right. And smart as hell by the owners. Had the habanero burger, real fucking good. 

If any of you kids drink PBR, they do some shit on Thursdays from 9-12 where you buy a $10 bracelet, then all your beers are a quarter. 

Also saw the new hoops arena for the first time, their Hall of Fame/Honor is nice as fuck. Court doesn't look anywhere near as blindingly white in person as it does on TV. 

12 hours ago, spystud13 said:

DeepEastTexas & I went to the new Dutch's bar addition tonight before the TCU hoops game, they did that shit right. And smart as hell by the owners. Had the habanero burger, real fucking good. 

If any of you kids drink PBR, they do some shit on Thursdays from 9-12 where you buy a $10 bracelet, then all your beers are a quarter. 

Also saw the new hoops arena for the first time, their Hall of Fame/Honor is nice as fuck. Court doesn't look anywhere near as blindingly white in person as it does on TV. 

Uber to Dutch's = $8.00
12 beers = $3.00
Bracelet = $10.00
Uber home = $8.00

That's a pretty sweet deal to get loaded up with transport for under a hair under $30. Of course once the wheels come off I'd probably pick up a pack of smokes and uber to rick's and turn a cheap night into an expensive one.

On 11/15/2018 at 1:38 PM, Errestaurants said:

Question:

I live in the flight path of Meacham and damn there are private planes coming and going it seems at all times. Many of them are of the larger variety it seems-like a G4/5 etc.  Who the hell owns these things besides the Bass family. As we all know Ft. Worth has had trouble getting and keeping the large corps that would have a fleet. Are these families/individuals who own all these jets?

Kenneth Copeland for one-bought Tyler Perry's Gulfstream V.  Fleecing the flock is quite lucrative and Jeebus wants his representative flying first class instead of a Piper Cub.

https://www.newsweek.com/kenneth-copeland-televangelist-jet-plane-healing-corrosion-1067897

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 12:59 PM, Bobby Light said:

Any recommendations for bachelor party activities?

I'm the best man for my cousin's wedding and I was told nothing crazy by him and his fiancee but he's at least getting some titties in his face at the end of the day

defender outdoors has a tactical room area with sensors that you shoot airsoft guns. 

The vast majority of the east lanes are done and they're pouring a few more blocks of the west lanes this week. South of el campo to 30 still needs a lot of work. The city project manager said everything is on schedule as of now (there's a meeting for it on Dec 10 so who knows).