Comic Relief: Satirical Tweets and Memes

Hugo Stiglitz

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd point out that Trump is now tilting at Windmills with this desperate Energy narrative. 

But he wouldn't get the reference.  But maybe he'll get the Cancer. 

Hillary tripping isn’t funny.  Mitch tripping isn’t funny.  These people are old and they don’t really ever get to walk anywhere for security purposes.  So stairs are hard.  

Hillary going limp and being dragged into a blacked out van...now that was funny.  And I say that as a guy who spent some time in vans as a kid with some funny clown. 

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Hillary tripping isn’t funny.  Mitch tripping isn’t funny.  These people are old and they don’t really ever get to walk anywhere for security purposes.  So stairs are hard.  

Hillary going limp and being dragged into a blacked out van...now that was funny.  And I say that as a guy who spent some time in vans as a kid with some funny clown. 

The "nothing to see here, I will go outside and play with grandkid" photo op was also pure comedy.

Fuck Mitch McConnell. He is human garbage. But that video isn't really funny on its own. More just sad.

I hadn't heard the polio as a kid thing but adding that in, it's definitely not funny. It is weird that people dig their heels in and double down in a situation like that as opposed to just apologizing, deleting, and moving on.

There are a million and one reasons to laugh at Mitch McConnell, but that is pretty low.

The Biden shirt and the Trump windmill cancer memes, however, are good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will paraphrase 

House Financial Services Committee.

Chairman Maxine Waters: Student Loans are an issue. There were over 1 million defaults last year.  What are you doing to stop that. Mr. Monihan(BofA)?

Brian Monihan: We exited student loan lending in 2007

Waters: Mr. Dimon?

Jamie Dimon: We exited student loan lending in 2009

Waters: Mr. Corbat?(Citigroup)

Michael Corbat: We exited student lending in 2010.

7 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I will paraphrase 

House Financial Services Committee.

Chairman Maxine Waters: Student Loans are an issue. There were over 1 million defaults last year.  What are you doing to stop that. Mr. Monihan(BofA)?

Brian Monihan: We exited student loan lending in 2007

Waters: Mr. Dimon?

Jamie Dimon: We exited student loan lending in 2009

Waters: Mr. Corbat?(Citigroup)

Michael Corbat: We exited student lending in 2010.

GettyImages-687808708-1280x720.jpg

"All your student loans are belong to US!"

5 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

my favorite part about the right is their abject hatred of higher education.

I have three degrees and two professional licenses.  I don't hate higher education.  I hate the bullshit degrees that people spend $200k on to qualify them to pour coffee.  One of the smartest people I know is a guy who works on our family ranch and has for 30 years.  No degrees.  But very smart.  High IQ.  Can fix anything and solve just about any problem.  I'd much rather be around him than the loser barista with $200k in student loans and a PhD in 17th Century Belgian Lesbian Studies.

And academics.  I have been around a lot of them.  Many are dumb smart people.  They are geniuses in their one tiny area.  And clueless in the rest.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I'd much rather be around him than the loser barista with $200k in student loans and a PhD in 17th Century Belgian Lesbian Studies.

Agreed.

Lesbianism in Belgium didn't get really interesting until the 18th century.

32 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I have three degrees and two professional licenses.  I don't hate higher education.  I hate the bullshit degrees that people spend $200k on to qualify them to pour coffee.  One of the smartest people I know is a guy who works on our family ranch and has for 30 years.  No degrees.  But very smart.  High IQ.  Can fix anything and solve just about any problem.  I'd much rather be around him than the loser barista with $200k in student loans and a PhD in 17th Century Belgian Lesbian Studies.

And academics.  I have been around a lot of them.  Many are dumb smart people.  They are geniuses in their one tiny area.  And clueless in the rest.

Good for you!  Now go tell your party!

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018/10/09/gallup-survey-finds-falling-confidence-higher-education

Percentage of Adults Confident in Higher Education

2015 2018
All 57% 48%
Republicans 56% 39%
Independents 48% 44%
Democrats 68% 62%

My favorite is basically a breakdown of the Venn diagram above:

FT_18.07.26_HigherEd_older-republicans.p

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/07/26/most-americans-say-higher-ed-is-heading-in-wrong-direction-but-partisans-disagree-on-why/

Why is higher education so bad, Old Republicans Who Have Been Out of The Classroom For Literally Forty Years?  Professors are bringing too much of their politics into the classroom!

1. A society that values knowledge for its own sake, even knowledge that isn’t immediately practical, seems like a healthy society to me.

2. Studying increasingly narrow fields is a natural result of the academic system. It may have its faults, but I wouldn’t consider this one of them.

3. The story of the poet/barista has become exaggerated to the point of being an absurd straw man. 

4. There is a certain madness in academia, particularly in certain fields, that tend to become self-perpetuating. The fields aren’t invalid, but human nature isn’t always great.

5. The scandal of the evangelical mind is that there’s not very much of one. As an evangelical myself, they’ve been antagonistic towards education for a long time. If you truly believe you have  the truth, you shouldn’t fear any new knowledge.

6. Having people deeply concerned with and advancing fields that I never consider or would ever care about still makes my life better. 

7. The great lasting things of the great cultures mostly center around their arts. Or the way they killed each other. I’d rather have a robust intellectual culture than kill each other. 

8. I have a doctorate in a field that leans hard to the left. The only professor that had a known political view to me was my doctoral advisor.  

9. Someone who is motivated, intelligent, and creative can make a good living with pretty much any degree (or without). The problem isn’t the degree, its the application.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 7