2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs: Fuck Kawhi Leonard

Michael Knight

Ztejas wants to make it out that I am rooting against the Spurs, which couldn't be further from the truth.  I won't bother posting my Spurs fandom credentials, but suffice to say that I would never cheer against the Spurs. I may question their strategy and I may criticize some of their decisions, but I would never root against them. 

I specifically wanted to tank this season to get Zion. Then do what we did this season next season but with Zion and Murray.

Oh well. I guess i'll just have to settle for another season of the team making the playoffs. Hilarious, the things Spurs fan worries about.

Edited by Pam Cummings

We are so screwed when Pop leaves anyway, that I say just ride it out while we can. Nobody is ever going to replicate what he's done, even if it's Udoka or Messina who have been training under him. It's one thing to watch the GOAT and it's another to actually be the GOAT. This team is probably better today than they'd be after a well done 4-year rebuild with someone else besides Pop as our coach. I'm just enjoying the ride.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The reality is it's not our decision so the only thing we can do as fans is root for our team to do as well as possible while we scrutinize, sometimes critically, the team's results as well as banter what moves we'd like to see in the future.  Some want to compete as hard and as much as we can every single year exhausting all assets, others feel self awareness and realistic goals with a long-term vision towards ultimate success may be our best bet long-term.  Neither is guaranteed success. 

I think it's cool we made the playoffs once again and continue to extend our historical success as the model franchise of the last 3 decades.  I also think it will make championship success in the near future more difficult.  Good enough to not be good enough is a tough place to be.  I may think differently if this was a young group of inexperienced pups taking their knocks and sharpening their talons in a spunky charge into the playoffs.  The reality is we're over the salary cap next year with the contracts/salary holds on our ledger and if we win vs Denver our pick will be in the 20's.  So no trade chips, no salary cap room and a pick in the 20's.  Easier to stomach if you have a lynch pin foundational player like Robinson or Timmy, harder to consider when your most expensive player is a good guy but who's game is a bit outdated for today's game and comes with the rep as a choker in the playoffs and will be on the wrong side of 30.

Regardless, I can't bring myself to root vs the Spurs even if intellectually I understand it's better if they lose.  GSG!

And frankly, Ztejas, aren't you a Dallas fan?  You don't have the right to question or criticize anyone's fandom to the Spurs.  

No I'm not a Mavs fan I posted that after we lost to Minny by 39 points in November. 

Regardless, you seem to basically agree with my take. But, I'm not sure at what point this season losing would have helped our future. This team was never going 20-62. The difference between 40 and 48 wins is that I get to watch the Spurs in the playoffs. 

22 consecutive seasons in the playoffs, can't complain about that. Had the Spurs won a handful of lost games vs bottom feeders like Chicago, Phoenix and Memphis they would've been a  #5 seed which is nothing to scoff at considering a lot of the pundits slated the Spurs as missing out on the playoffs entirely during the off season. Win or lose tonight won't matter much, if the Spurs take both games in SA they should be facing OKC or Portland which are the best match ups anyone could've asked for.

It doesn't appear Golden State is going to roll into the semis uncontested as well after last evening. Hopefully the Clips push them to a game 6 or 7 and make them work for it. Houston can likely give them a good fight as well after they inevitability beat the Jazz. The playoffs are already off to a crazy start this season, I don't know if we'll witness any 4-0 sweeps in the opener besides the Bucks over a sorry Detroit team. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kermit said:

I'd rather have a shot at Zion or Barrett than linger in mediocrity. It's cool to win a series, but reality is probably about to set in for this team real quick. I'd love to be wrong though. Nothing would make me happier. Also, Kobe isn't some draft miracle. Douchebag and his family of douchebags threatened to sit out if he was drafted by anyone other than the Lakers. Fuck Kobe. 

And as stated, the odds are infinitesimal against the Spurs winning the lottery to get to get one of those two guys unless they go 20-62. Even if you lose 60+ games, there's no guarantee you get the top one or two pick. Add in the variable that not every draft has a no-doubt, HOF'er heading the class.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hate said:

Boogie Cousins may have been lost for the playoffs last night.  I'd love nothing more than to see GS get beat in the first round by the Clippers. 

I have a sneaking suspicion they will be better without Cousins. 

2 hours ago, Chad said:

22 consecutive seasons in the playoffs, can't complain about that.

I think it's also 29 out of the last 30 too.  It sort of does feel like the early to mid 90s where the Spurs were an above average team with a single all star (Robinson-> Aldridge) and a sometimes/borderline all star (Elliot -> Demarr) and some decent roll players.  Enough to get in the playoffs, not enough to go all the way. 

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

12 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Oh well. I guess i'll just have to settle for another season of the team making the playoffs. Hilarious, the things Spurs fan worries about.

Something about cards and brother's kids

Boo hoo we made the playoffs for the 22nd straight season. So terrible to watch.

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I think it's also 29 out of the last 30 too.  It sort of does feel like the early to mid 90s where the Spurs were an above average team with a single all star (Robinson-> Aldridge) and a sometimes/borderline all star (Elliot -> Demarr) and some decent roll players.  Enough to get in the playoffs, not enough to go all the way. 

Robinson and Elliott were in their upper 20's and primes too in the mid 90's.  LMA, who I think has really become a good Spur, will be 34 this summer and DD will be 30.  

Ultimately, we're spoiled as a fan base and I think it's important to be self aware enough to admit it.  The culture the Spurs have slowly built and embrace is second to none.  It's allowed for unprecedented competitiveness for an ungodly amount of time.  When Popovich retires to a front office position, it certainly will test our mettle, like Tim and Manu and Tony leaving the team has, but I don't think it has to mean we're going to suck.  RC will still be in place, Pop will still be around and probably have a loud voice.  Personally, I think we're simply missing that guy.... the player who can pick up the mantle and allow us to continue to compete in the West.  I'm going to guess this may be the last go around for the Warriors and then the West will be really open.  Not sure we're positioned currently to take advantage but we still have a summer and a draft.

Moving on.... can we steal another in Denver?  I expect Jokic to be a bit more aggressive looking for his shot tonight.  Also, they probably shoot a little bit better than 28% from BYA.  LMA and DD probably shoot a little better than 12-36. so we may need more points than 105 tonight.

• Like 1

There is no way Denver shoots that poorly BTA again. They missed a bunch of wide open looks. That being said, LMA and DD should be a little better tonight so it wouldn’t surprise me if they somehow pulled off another win. It also wouldn’t surprise me if they got blown out. I really have no idea what to expect with this team.

We're nothing special at all, obviously. But the Nuggets command zero playoff respect to this point. It's totally possible that they'll choke on their own vomit again tonight. It wouldn't take any magical night from LMA or DD to put the mental heat on the home team.

Sure, we have our own untested guys, but most of our contributions this time of year are likely to be from players with a lot of playoff games behind them. We know this isn't exactly DD's time of year, historically, but Gay and White and Mills in particular seem fairly focused. A few bombs from Bertans and Belinelli might take the thin air out of that building, especially if LMA comes out hot. Unless one of Denver's main guys steps up to lend Barton a consistent hand, they might crash and burn.  

44 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I dont think I can watch Spurs playoff games sober 

36 minutes ago, ztejas said:

33 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If we stay healthy and can win at home I really think we can hang with any team in the West. 

Durant makes me nervous but other than that I think we can go punch for punch with any team in the conference. 

Hmmmm