2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs: Fuck Kawhi Leonard

Michael Knight

I'm trying to prepare myself for the rest of this series, knowing that Derozen and Aldridge are going to shit themselves in the crunch. Based on what I've seen from Denver, though, Murray and Jokic want no part of winning time. Either team with the lead going into the final minutes has a huge advantage. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

I felt this one slipping away many times, but Denver somehow managed to avoid accepting our gift of poor shooting. So kind of them. 

Crazy as it seems, is White now one of our top two players on a Murray-less roster? 

He is miles better than Murray. Murray cant score to save his life, he has a broken J. He is a liability on offense.

8 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I felt this one slipping away many times, but Denver somehow managed to avoid accepting our gift of poor shooting. So kind of them. 

Crazy as it seems, is White now one of our top two players on a Murray-less roster? 

Ugly scoring game at times.  DeRozen seems to struggle under pressure including more turnovers.  LA was getting manhandled on offense.... could not get in his usual spots to score.

9 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We're the anti-Spurs.  Our vets aren't closers and are young guys are.... well, young and inexperienced.  Win or lose, we're not a real contender.    Denver simply doesn't know how to win more than us.

Please. This is championship or bust.

4 hours ago, C-Man said:

Spurs win, Kawhi loses. Fuck you, mother fucker.

Haha, the raptors somehow managed to fuck it up. Leonard takes the last shot and airballs it. Fuck that guy!

Edited by XYZ

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

Just wanna say fuck everyone that wanted to tank this season instead of make the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed. You know who you are. 

Great win last night. Let's get it again on Tuesday.

I want to admit that in the middle of the season, I became frustrated and said on this thread to blow it up.

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

Just wanna say fuck everyone that wanted to tank this season instead of make the playoffs as a 7 or 8 seed. You know who you are. 

Great win last night. Let's get it again on Tuesday.

I was one of those people. I still am, even though I’ll watch and cheer them on. I really don’t give a fuck what you think. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Kermit said:

I was one of those people. I still am, even though I’ll watch and cheer them on. I really don’t give a fuck what you think. 

Okay well where is the cutoff? Is any season that doesn't result in a championship a waste? If we somehow make the WCF but get swept is that a worse outcome than never having made the playoffs? 

Just help me understand.

The frog is correct. I hope I’m wrong, but anything short of the Finals means that making the playoffs hurt us. There is something to say for making the playoffs again, but I’d rather be competing for titles again. This roster isn’t competing for titles.

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

The frog is correct. I hope I’m wrong, but anything short of the Finals means that making the playoffs hurt us. There is something to say for making the playoffs again, but I’d rather be competing for titles again. This roster isn’t competing for titles.

There are so many intangibles y'all aren't addressing. Playoff experience, playoff ticket revenue, brand exposure, winning culture, just to mention several.

Do you think the Lakers are cool with missing the playoffs half a decade in a row now because they get to take some pot shots at players that may or may not develop?

Also, especially hilarious, because outside of Duncan, the HOFers that we have made Finals runs and won titles with were late draft picks. Manu, Tony, Kawhi were all not lottery picks.

Who was the highest draft pick on our 2017 team that lead in the first half of game 1 of the WCF before Kawhi went down?

First of all, the Spurs don’t cut me a check for the playoff revenue so I don’t really care about that. And yes, they built around one of the top ten greatest players the game has ever seen with low draft picks to compete for titles for 20 years. They could do the same now if they had a top ten all time player in his prime. They don’t.

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

They could do the same now if they had a top ten all time player in his prime. They don’t.

What are the odds of even drafting a guy like that though. Say we go 30-52. We probably get the 6th pick. To draft one of the GOATs you on average probably need to have at least the 2nd or 3rd pick.

Then, you have to luck into that player becoming one of the greatest ever. And not just a superstar or all timer - so AD, Kyrie, CP3 nah - those guys don't count. 

You are talking about the (since Duncan) Wade, Dirk, Durant, LeBron, Curry tier. 

Or, if you want to throw Kawhi in that mix, then you didn't need a lottery pick to take him anyway. Same with Giannis. 

Kobe wasnt a lottery pick (or maybe he was just barely). KG never won a title with the team that drafted him. 

Throwing a season away to chase those infinitesimal odds seems crazy for a team that has consistently turned late 1st rounders or even 2nd rounders in at least one instance into all stars and all NBA players. 

Once Pop is gone? Sure. Go full rebuild. But until then I want to see the roster we have succeed to their ultimate ability. 

Obv this year is a wash league wide because GS might lose 2 playoff games if they underperform, but going into next year I would love for a lot of the youngins to get important minutes in the playoffs.

I'd rather have a shot at Zion or Barrett than linger in mediocrity. It's cool to win a series, but reality is probably about to set in for this team real quick. I'd love to be wrong though. Nothing would make me happier. Also, Kobe isn't some draft miracle. Douchebag and his family of douchebags threatened to sit out if he was drafted by anyone other than the Lakers. Fuck Kobe. 

The reality is it's not our decision so the only thing we can do as fans is root for our team to do as well as possible while we scrutinize, sometimes critically, the team's results as well as banter what moves we'd like to see in the future.  Some want to compete as hard and as much as we can every single year exhausting all assets, others feel self awareness and realistic goals with a long-term vision towards ultimate success may be our best bet long-term.  Neither is guaranteed success. 

I think it's cool we made the playoffs once again and continue to extend our historical success as the model franchise of the last 3 decades.  I also think it will make championship success in the near future more difficult.  Good enough to not be good enough is a tough place to be.  I may think differently if this was a young group of inexperienced pups taking their knocks and sharpening their talons in a spunky charge into the playoffs.  The reality is we're over the salary cap next year with the contracts/salary holds on our ledger and if we win vs Denver our pick will be in the 20's.  So no trade chips, no salary cap room and a pick in the 20's.  Easier to stomach if you have a lynch pin foundational player like Robinson or Timmy, harder to consider when your most expensive player is a good guy but who's game is a bit outdated for today's game and comes with the rep as a choker in the playoffs and will be on the wrong side of 30.

Regardless, I can't bring myself to root vs the Spurs even if intellectually I understand it's better if they lose.  GSG!

And frankly, Ztejas, aren't you a Dallas fan?  You don't have the right to question or criticize anyone's fandom to the Spurs.  

• Like 4