2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs: Fuck Kawhi Leonard

Michael Knight

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

So Ben Moore dropped 31 points and 14 rebounds on 9/12 shooting last night for the Austin Spurs.

Why is he not on our roster?

Well, he's only been with the organization for 2 weeks after getting cut by the Pacers.  Former Larry Brown guy, who I would assume if we can find room for him somewhere, he eventually will get up the 2nd half of the season.  Typical undersized 4 transitioning to a wing guy.

Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Well, he's only been with the organization for 2 weeks after getting cut by the Pacers.  Former Larry Brown guy, who I would assume if we can find room for him somewhere, he eventually will get up the 2nd half of the season.  Typical undersized 4 transitioning to a wing guy.

Free throws were one of his biggest weaknesses at SMU but it seems like he's shored that up a bit - shot 13/14 last night. 

He was a four year player at SMU - really smart, good defender but as you said a bit of a tweener. Glad he's fighting for a roster spot, and shit, if he's posting numbers like that in the G League I find it hard to believe we have 15 players I'd rather put out there on any given night. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Free throws were one of his biggest weaknesses at SMU but it seems like he's shored that up a bit - shot 13/14 last night. 

He was a four year player at SMU - really smart, good defender but as you said a bit of a tweener. Glad he's fighting for a roster spot, and shit, if he's posting numbers like that in the G League I find it hard to believe we have 15 players I'd rather put out there on any given night. 

I suppose you could cut a Poindexter or Cunningham, who are actually playing solid for us bur are low ceiling journeymen, but I assume PATFO isn't ready to throw in the towel and go all young right now.  It's a shame, because it's the smart move.  Get into the market early and be specific and resolute in your vision.  This team isn't doing shit, so let's go young and try and find cheap talent anywhere you can while shedding salary.  But, if he's with us on Jan 20th, I would expect he'll get a more permanent spot around there.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I suppose you could cut a Poindexter or Cunningham, who are actually playing solid for us bur are low ceiling journeymen, but I assume PATFO isn't ready to throw in the towel and go all young right now.  It's a shame, because it's the smart move.  Get into the market early and be specific and resolute in your vision.  This team isn't doing shit, so let's go young and try and find cheap talent anywhere you can while shedding salary.  But, if he's with us on Jan 20th, I would expect he'll get a more permanent spot around there.

That's what I'm saying. Might as well find out if he can play. Pondexter and Cunningham aren't doing shit for a potential FULL rebuild.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Fantastic 4th quarter.... Fuck the Lakers.  Happy for the win, still doesn't change the outlook for the team although Jakob is a Ladder has been playing some good ball lately.  DeRozan was clutch in the 4th.

Poeltl is our biggest asset. Any rebuild that doesn't involve him as a piece is a misguided rebuild imo. 

That brought the Spurs up to .500 in the West conference @ 10-10. I never understood why Bertans was rewarded with a lucrative contract and was barely used at the beginning of the season in favor of Cunningham. He's been a good player when he's on the court and I'm glad he's seeing more minutes now. Can the Spurs offer Marco back to Philly for free? He's been awful in his second stint with the Spurs.

Oh yeah, I feel like I need to atone for a drunk-as-fuck somewhat tounge in cheek post I made days ago. 

I will be dead in my grave before I root for the Mavericks over the Spurs. The pain I felt after 2013 I will never forget - just like I will never forget our vindication tour in 2014 when we sent the Heat packing.

Spurs until I die. Pop or not. This is a culture and a cornerstone of the city of San Antonio - and the rest of Texas.

Let's turn this shit around. I believe in these guys. I still believe in Pop. Let's get healthy and build some chemistry and ruin some title hopes in the first round.

GSG

Edited by ztejas

Oh how times have changed.  As a 27 year old who first started watching the Spurs around the 1998 season and has mostly been spoiled with the Spurs consistently being one of the best teams in the league, this season has certainly been quite a beating.  Always knew the time to rebuild would come someday, I'm just grateful it took this long. 

22 minutes ago, justinjc7 said:

Oh how times have changed.  As a 27 year old who first started watching the Spurs around the 1998 season and has mostly been spoiled with the Spurs consistently being one of the best teams in the league, this season has certainly been quite a beating.  Always knew the time to rebuild would come someday, I'm just grateful it took this long. 

This isn't a rebuild. The team has 2 all-stars and is in the playoff hunt. Get back to me when you sit through a 21-61 season and you say things to your friends like, "Ya know... if Dallas Comegys gets a little more playing time and develops a little range on his jump shot, he could really be something."

I attended my first game of the season the other night against the Lakers. It was surprisingly really fun. It seems like they decided to play some defense for the first time this year sometime during that evening and they continued it on Sunday. If they can just play a consistently marginal level of defense which should be attainable strictly through hustle and a little bit of intelligence, they are potent enough offensively to win some games. 

Also.... I'm not much of a gambler, but the Spurs are 12 point favorites tonight against Phoenix who embarrassed them 3 weeks ago and played an overtime game last night. I hate laying big numbers because of the potential for a garbage time backdoor cover, but I imagine that the Spurs are going to lay the wood to the Suns tonight.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This isn't a rebuild. The team has 2 all-stars and is in the playoff hunt. Get back to me when you sit through a 21-61 season and you say things to your friends like, "Ya know... if Dallas Comegys gets a little more playing time and develops a little range on his jump shot, he could really be something."

I attended my first game of the season the other night against the Lakers. It was surprisingly really fun. It seems like they decided to play some defense for the first time this year sometime during that evening and they continued it on Sunday. If they can just play a consistently marginal level of defense which should be attainable strictly through hustle and a little bit of intelligence, they are potent enough offensively to win some games. 

Also.... I'm not much of a gambler, but the Spurs are 12 point favorites tonight against Phoenix who embarrassed them 3 weeks ago and played an overtime game last night. I hate laying big numbers because of the potential for a garbage time backdoor cover, but I imagine that the Spurs are going to lay the wood to the Suns tonight.

Devin Booker is out.

8 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Good call.

Where did 24/11 REBOUNDS from Forbes come from? Is Phoenix's backcourt defense that shittym

On 12/7/2018 at 8:52 PM, Pam Cummings said:

They're just good enough to miss the lottery.

I seriously hope they shut it down and trade LMA. I'm dyin for Zion.

There is no point in tanking. Have you seen the dogshit that is the bottom of the East? Add to that the Suns and we would have to suck like the Spurs have never sucked before to catch anyone for a top 3 pick. Unless we think we can luck out in the lottery again a la '97.

Btw - win over Phoenix bumped Pop ahead of Pat Riley for 4th place in all time regular season wins. 

He trails Riley by 3 for combined regular season and playoffs, and only trails Lenny Wilkens and Don Nelson for most combined wins (playoffs and regular season). 

Also just shy of Phil Jackson for most games above .500.

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

There is no point in tanking. Have you seen the dogshit that is the bottom of the East? Add to that the Suns and we would have to suck like the Spurs have never sucked before to catch anyone for a top 3 pick. Unless we think we can luck out in the lottery again a la '97.

Yeah it's just not our way of doing things, outside of major injuries to key players.

I'm fine with anything they do really. In Pop I trust. I had fun watching the game last night, Purdle is coming along real nice. I'd like to see him continue to get a lot of minutes.

18 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That wasn't a rebuild, it was a disaster, as were several seasons in the 80's.  I'm not going to begrudge any Spurs fans to have been lucky enough to come of age when the team was good.  I remember the good ole days of the Bruise Brothers, the Iceman and Captain Late.  Unfortunately I also remember the days of Walter Berry, Alfredrick Hughes, and Bob Weiss.  After the run we have had, it's difficult to imagine being in a .500 purgatory for the next several years.  Diamonds in the rough like fuckface don't often happen with the 14th pick.  I just have a feeling that we are going to be wandering the wilderness for the next decade until we are lucky enough to have everyone get hurt in the same season and win the draft lottery when a generational type player is available.  And then we have to hope that we find a coach that can guide that team the right way and a GM that can find the right mix of players to put around him to be able to compete again.  I hope I'm wrong, but it may be a while before we are contending for a title again and I doubt we'll ever see the level of success the last 20 years brought us.  Oh well, we'll always have 99, 03,05,07 and the most magical of all, 14.  

1 hour ago, Hate said:

and I doubt we'll ever see the level of success the last 20 years brought us. 

Probably not. But is that something to be pessimistic about to a degree like this?

The last 20 years have been unreal. Probably the best 20 year stretch in the modern NBA of any team ever. 

I think something that plays to the Spurs advantage is the culture and history and fanbase. There's not much else going on in San Antonio. There will always be enough people to fill up the ATT. There are less distractions for players which means Spurs are always going to spend more time in the gym by default almost.

Timmy is still in SA. Who the fuck is going to ignore a call from TD to get some shots up or learn post moves?

Even without Pop - the organization from the top down has tended to make rational decisions. Finding a good heir to the throne won't be as difficult as people think imo.

We are headed for a rebuild but take a few years off, reload, and let Spurs Basketball do the rest.

It's not like we completely sucked as a franchise before Pop. I don't think we will completely suck after. We will just have to get used to missing the playoffs occasionaly and not winning 50 games every season. 

I hope I'm right. I might be wrong. We shall see.

Edited by ztejas
Accidentally a word

Tanking or rebuilding shouldn't be a taboo word if used in the proper context.  Tanking has sort of taken on the definition of intentionally losing games  but it doesn't need to be.  If rebuilding is more palatable to folks then that's fine and it's what we should be doing.  We should be self-aware enough to know who we are and exactly what our outlook is.  We should be trying to shed bad money (Patty, Pau, Marco, etc).  We should be trying to develop our young players (Lonnie, Jakob's Ladder, White, Metu, even Forbes, etc).  We should be trying to acquire assets (picks, cap space, younger players, etc).

Whoever said this isn't a rebuild may be correct in how PATFO feels about it right this second, but we should be trying to rebuild and reality will eventually make the decision for us.  We have two older all-stars who won't be in their prime anymore when we're ready to properly compete, so let's face reality and start rebuilding.  We're not going anywhere with this group.

The rest of the year should be interesting.  Denver x 2, Clippers x 2, Philly, Boston, and @ Houston on a b2b.  Then New Year's and after..... Kawhi's return on Jan 3rd.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We should be self-aware enough to know who we are and exactly what our outlook is.  We should be trying to shed bad money (Patty, Pau, Marco, etc).  We should be trying to develop our young players (Lonnie, Jakob's Ladder, White, Metu, even Forbes, etc).  We should be trying to acquire assets (picks, cap space, younger players, etc).

This is all true - but I'm not sure we need to rush it and start making these moves during the middle of the season. We're already having enough trouble getting everyone on the same page and figuring out the rotation at basically every position. 

I've seen enough the past few games to make me believe that we could still win 50 games. The West is super tight - if we play well at home and steal some on the road it will basically be a crap shoot come the end of the season between the 3rd and 9th-10th seeds. 

I'd rather watch us try and make a run in the playoffs with what we have than straight up punt what will be one of Pop's last seasons. We can talk about shedding money and who's on the market during the offseason. Maybe one good mid-season trade to help kick-start that process and give us some juice heading into March. But - I want to see these guys play more ball together before we start giving 22 year old projects 30 minutes a night. 

Just now, ztejas said:

This is all true - but I'm not sure we need to rush it and start making these moves during the middle of the season. We're already having enough trouble getting everyone on the same page and figuring out the rotation at basically every position. 

I've seen enough the past few games to make me believe that we could still win 50 games. The West is super tight - if we play well at home and steal some on the road it will basically be a crap shoot come the end of the season between the 3rd and 9th-10th seeds. 

I'd rather watch us try and make a run in the playoffs with what we have than straight up punt what will be one of Pop's last seasons. We can talk about shedding money and who's on the market during the offseason. Maybe one good mid-season trade to help kick-start that process and give us some juice heading into March. But - I want to see these guys play more ball together before we start giving 22 year old projects 30 minutes a night. 

giphy.gif

We won 3 home games in a row.  Good for us, but we beat the 16th team in the conference. the 14th, and 5th when we shot 50/42/85, which is unsustainable.  We'd need to 36-18 the rest of the way to win 50.  I'd be happy to be wrong, but we're not going to play .670 ball the ROS.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

giphy.gif

We won 3 home games in a row.  Good for us, but we beat the 16th team in the conference. the 14th, and 5th when we shot 50/42/85, which is unsustainable.  We'd need to 36-18 the rest of the way to win 50.  I'd be happy to be wrong, but we're not going to play .670 ball the ROS.

We're 10-4 at home which is a .714 clip (and to be a math-nerd asshole 36-18 is .666 ball). Like I said, we would need to start stealing some road games and not drop too many more home games. 

I think this team will get better (barring another major injury to a key player) as the season progresses. I agree it is probably a 45 win team. But it is still early in the season. Have a couple of good months and expectations could change. 

Edited by ztejas

Playoffs?? Playoffs?

Call me spoiled, but unless we are seriously competing for a title then what’s the point. I get that things happen and title contending teams sometimes get tripped up early. That’s fine. The 2015 team was a title contending team that lost in the first round. It sucked, but I can live with that. What I don’t want is to be sitting around the 7th or 8th seed hoping for a miracle. I’d rather acquire young players and build with them.

Bateman bringing the truth, as always.  Hold onto your butts for the upcoming schedule.  

I will say it's been nice to see them play better of late.  I'm happy so long as Pop continues to let the younger guys play and experience growing pains to see what the team has in those guys as far as long term prospects.  Also, let's see what Lonnie can do when he's ready for the big show - put him out there and let him screw up and make plays.  I'm not interested in seeing the bones of Gasol, Cunningham, Belinelli, and Pondexter rolled out there too much in the upcoming weeks.

22 minutes ago, Hate said:

Playoffs?? Playoffs?

Call me spoiled, but unless we are seriously competing for a title then what’s the point. I get that things happen and title contending teams sometimes get tripped up early. That’s fine. The 2015 team was a title contending team that lost in the first round. It sucked, but I can live with that. What I don’t want is to be sitting around the 7th or 8th seed hoping for a miracle. I’d rather acquire young players and build with them.

I'm talking about this season, mainly, since we're already 28 games in and only a game and a half back as is. I don't think Pop wants to captain a full rebuild. If we want to go full tank, young-blood mode then let's wait until Pop hangs 'em up.

He deserves the chance to take what we give him (what he's given himself?) as far as he can. That's the culture he has instilled. 

I would rather watch us lose in the playoffs at the end of the season than watch a 30-win, utter train-wreck. To get back to title status we will likely need to suck for a bit or get extremely lucky again (@Hate made this point a few posts up). If we are going to suck, it should be concurrent with finding the next coach. Not Pop's last seasons. I want to see him go out like Duncan - not like Kobe. 

But, that is my opinion. I totally get where you are coming from. I just disagree as a fan and think momentum and culture are very real things (look at the Suns for fuck's sake). 

Edited by ztejas

I'm not saying we need to start rebuilding and gutting the whole thing during the middle of the season but it has to be something that needs to be looked at during the offseason.  I'm not even saying we need to completely gut everything but there shouldn't be anyone on our roster that is safe from being moved if necessary. Many in this thread was talking about rebuilding and trading away LMA and Demar not too long ago but we win a measly 3 games in a row, 2 of which were against sub .500 teams and now all of a sudden we're a 50 win team?? It was mentioned upthread that we have 2 All-Stars but it's not like they're the perfect prototypes of what we need to compete in today's NBA.  Sure, maybe we still make the playoffs but do we have a shot to win the title? Not a chance in hell and that's the only goal.  Until we're competing for a title, who cares if we're good enough to make the playoffs....what does a playoff appearance followed by a 1st round exit get us? A little bit of pride?  I'd rather win 30 games and get a higher draft pick that we could potentially build around then get into the playoffs and lose in the 1st or 2nd round and having nothing to show for it.  

1 hour ago, justinjc7 said:

and now all of a sudden we're a 50 win team??

No one is claiming that. This is a 40-45 win team whose ceiling is somewhere around 50. I believe that we still could win 50 games. I don't think it's that likely, but it is still early. 

1 hour ago, justinjc7 said:

Until we're competing for a title, who cares if we're good enough to make the playoffs....what does a playoff appearance followed by a 1st round exit get us?

It serves as a continuance of a culture that has brought 6 WC titles, 5 championships, and 20 straight playoff appearances. If you want to see that die for a draft pick I understand it, but I would caution against that thinking. Not to go full TH but winning and making the playoffs is hard. We take it for granted as Spurs fans. Let's not throw it out the window for a roll of the dice on a late lottery pick. Not until Pop is done. Pop is not going to sit through a 4 year rebuild.