2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs: Fuck Kawhi Leonard

Michael Knight

Although I've been highly critical of the direction PATFO took us with the Kawhi trade and thought last offseason was fairly mismanaged, I think it's important to realize that our two best young talents are injured and while they may not have huge impacts on the win/loss record (Murray probably does some), it does rob fans of some interest and fun watching them develop.  It denies fans of a little hope in watching these two youngsters who we hope will help build the foundation of the franchise the next 10 years.  Totally understand the frustration.  Absolutely get being mediocre with old players isn't as fun as rebuilding with a sense of direction and planning.  But it should get better.  Understand, I don't think this team is very good and I don't think they will become very good.  A playoff berth is really the upside goal here but we could easily be in the lottery, especially with another injury or two.  Still, reasons for a smidge of hope for this season:

1.  Lonnie will be back eventually.  Perhaps as soon as December with the big club and Austin after the holiday.  He's very raw so he won't have a big impact on wins and losses but he oozes athleticism and raw talent so we'll see if he can develop and how quickly that may happen.

2.  Bryn Forbes is better than most of us had hoped.  I wasn't that thrilled with his signing as I was concerned it would take minutes away from Lonnie and DW and his peripherals still suck shit, but he's improving and some nights, it looks like he could be a 8-9th guy on a good team.  He's being pushed into too many minutes but he is getting better and may develop into a rotational guard off the bench on a good playoff team in a few years. 

3.  We're 16 games closer to getting Pau off our books.  Maybe less if we can flip him at the deadline.  Maybe he'd like to go back to Memphis?

4.  Derrick White is back sooner than thought.  Now, he's been god awful since coming back, but that's to be expected for a guy who hadn't played much ball in the show and coming off injury.  By Christmas, he may be in a spot to start really showing what he's got and if he can swim at this level.  

5.  Did I mention Lonnie will be back eventually?

That's all I got at this time..... anyone else have anything positive for this team?  Bueller?  Bueller?

This would be a completely different team with Dejounte. Him tearing his ACL was such a death sentence for any hope of a magical Spurs run.

I hate how mediocre we are. It's time for Pop to hang it up and tank for a couple of years with Messina. We need another savior a la Duncan.

3 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

In the "fuck kawhi leonard" department, apparently he signed a deal with new balance.  I'm pretty sure all the 60 year olds walking their dogs at the neighborhood park are super excited.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25400965/kawhi-leonard-toronto-raptors-new-balance-agree-shoe-deal

Never has there been a more perfect match than Kawhi< >New Balance.  

11 hours ago, Chad said:

It's going to be a long and painful season, gents. Pops may be a hell of a coach, but you can't expect him to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bff63194353423432

Wish there was a way to know it was going to be chicken shit so we could've taken Covington/Saric and a pick and at least had some youth on the team. They kicked our ass last night.

Maybe we wouldn't be this bad with Dejounte, but I don't see him making that much of a difference.

1 minute ago, Amos Moses said:

Oh NOW you see ... 😊

Welcome to the party.

Hah. It's gonna be a nailbiter trying to stay over .500. I think we should get a little better as the season rolls, though.

We fucking suck on the road.

Edited by ztejas

Dec 15th and then Jan 15th are big dates to put away in your back pockets.  Those are deadlines for being able to trade certain players.  On Dec 15, we'll be 30 games in.  On Jan 15, we'll be about 45 games in.  If we haven't see a vast improvement in play, I'd like to see us be active in the trade market and ship off some contracts.  It's tough because you have good vets like LMA and DD who don't want to rebuild but PATFO should have thought of that shit before the season.  Don't let misplaced loyalties prevent you from doing the right thing for the organization.

Our December 15th guys:

San Antonio Spurs

If we're say 14-16 on Dec 15th, I'd like to see us engage in moving Marco, Patty, Pau (if he ever comes back) and maybe Rudy.  Although you have to feel out the vets, as LMA may want out if it gets too bad.  He's at the end of his prime and would like one last shot at winning I would think.

19 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Marco has been one of the worst players in the league. At least that’s what my eyes tell me. He’s just gone off a goddamn cliff. 

He's been bad..... no doubt.  Not only is he shooting poorly, but he's one of the worst defenders in the league thus far, something our scouting probably should have known.  I think his shot will come around but his defense is probably a lost cause.

I'd fire sale everyone.  The only "untouchables" for me would be Murray and Walker.  Everyone else is available including DD and LMA. I may be missing someone since I don't watch much these days, but I am completely ready for a complete rebuild.  

Definitely.  Getting a taker for Patty and Pau's deal are going to be, uh... challenging, especially with Pau with a bad foot.  Moving Danny instead of Patty was unbelievably stupid but if Pau can get back by Xmas and play for a couple of weeks, then I'm hopeful he could be a deadline flip to a contender..... Memphis????  Issue is money could be tough.  

We just signed Marco but wonder if Philly would be amenable to take him back as he was so good for them down the stretch last year?  Just let him know, things didn't work out like we wanted and prefer to get him to a contender as we'll be rebuilding.

Moving those two would be saving ~ 22 million next season.  After that, you quietly talk to Rudy and LMA and even DD about what they want and the reality of our situation.

I'd fire sale everyone.  The only "untouchables" for me would be Murray and Walker.  Everyone else is available including DD and LMA. I may be missing someone since I don't watch much these days, but I am completely ready for a complete rebuild.  
Is the general consensus that instead of using kawhi for young talent or picks,pop wanted one last go around with DD thinking he could pick up most of kawhis slack?

I wouldnt be surprised to see pop ride off before a tear down and rebuild. Hes an all timer already with nothing to prove...but DD seems to be delaying the inevitable by at least 1 year