2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs: Fuck Kawhi Leonard

Michael Knight

So.... just for fun.  Now that we're about 10-12% through the season, thought I would check in on some of our former Spurs from last season.

Kawhi:  To our dismay, he's playing well.  Shooting %'s probably a little high and unsustainable but his metrics are strong and sadly, he's a great player.  Big deal is he's missed 4 out of 11 games for maintenance and ankle injuries.  Something to watch.  The Dinosaurs are also very good so if he can stand the winters, he may end up extending there.

Tony:  Playing as veteran backup (18 mpg), Tony's actually having a little bit of a bounce.  I don't think it's surprising as he's now 18 months off of his injury.  He's shooting really well with a PER over 18.  Averaging over 21 ppg per 36 minutes and over 40% AST%.  Playing really well.

Danny:  Another guy having a strong start to the season.  A lot is based on unsustainable 3pt% of 47%.  Defense is still strong although still in slight decline.  Danny probably will never shoot over 40% from distance again but he's been a big addition to Toronto and obviously is missed here.  Not insisting Toronto take Patty instead of Danny was a big mistake IMO.

Kyle:  Really struggling.  He's sort of a mess right now.  Not only is his shooting down (39%) but all his metrics are down across the board (shooting, rebound, ast, etc).  I think he'll rebound somewhat, it's doubtful he continues to shoot so poorly especially at the line (53%).  He hasn't hit a 3 all season.  Only attempted 2.  I'm of the opinion that Kyle is one of those guys who needs the Spurs way more than the Spurs ever needed Kyle.  Thus far, this appears the case but very early.

Manu:  Still retired.

Way too early to really understand how any of their seasons will really end up but it is nice to see Tony and Danny get off to fast starts.  Be interested to see how many games Kawhi plays.  Right now he's on pace for 52.  I would assume with good health, it increase to about 60-65 games for the season but for someone who's built like a runaway freight train, he's a bit brittle.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Kawhi:  To our dismay, he's playing well.  Shooting %'s probably a little high and unsustainable but his metrics are strong and sadly, he's a great player.  Big deal is he's missed 4 out of 11 games for maintenance and ankle injuries.  Something to watch.  The Dinosaurs are also very good so if he can stand the winters, he may end up extending there.

The Spurs were very good and south Texas has mild winters and he didn't extend here. If winning were actually important to him, he would have never left San Antonio. But who the hell knows? The guy is a headcase with an injury history that goes beyond just his quad.

But yeah, he's no doubt a great player. The difference in talent/skill between he and Derozan (who has been everything you could have asked for and more so far) is sadly the difference between being a very good team and being a championship team. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

Patty may have put up 20 points, but he was extremely inefficient. 22 shot attempts, 12 of which were 3s......yikes. LMA was awful and DD was inefficient as well. It'll be tough for the Spurs to win when LMA and DD both struggle. Nice game by Bertans.

7 minutes ago, miguelito said:

There seems to be a lot of confusion on defense.

Like what is defense?  How do you spell defense?  Who is responsible for defense?  That type of thing?

Defense wasn't horrible tonight, but the larger issue exists.  33% from the field.... you're going to lose 98% of the time shooting that poorly.  LMA and DD were 8-29 with no Rudy Gay.  Horrible.

6-4 the first 10.  Frankly, I think Pop would be ecstatic if we could replicate that win percentage the rest of the way......

I’d feel so much better if this was a young team trying to figure it out. But this team is bound for 43 or 45 wins and a first round exit. That’s not very fun. I’d rather them completely blow it up and build something new. That would be more fun than this.