2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs: Fuck Kawhi Leonard

Michael Knight

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

I hate the new rules. Makes every game look like an all-star game level of defensive intensity. Why do they keep fucking with stuff that isn’t broken in the nba?

I have to agree. I think it sucks because it makes all time scoring records completely irrelevant. Teams are scoring 20-30 more per game than they were 20 years ago. Random fucktards can go out and average 20 ppg these days.

11 hours ago, housious said:

I have to agree. I think it sucks because it makes all time scoring records completely irrelevant. Teams are scoring 20-30 more per game than they were 20 years ago. Random fucktards can go out and average 20 ppg these days.

Arguably the golden era of the NBA was from 82/83 to 90'.  Scoring averaged 107-110 for league averages.  Even the Bad Boy Pistons could score, and all of this scoring wasn't reliant on the 3 ball.  It was higher pace and a lot of contested midrange  J's.  The league average right now is 112 and that number will probably come down and settle in around 107/108.  There's nothing wrong with today's basketball nor are they impacting scoring records.  It's actually the 90's and the aughts which fucked up the league and the paradigm of scoring and the look of the league.  Go look at the 70's or 60's scoring averages.  From 60' - 70', scoring average for the league was never below 110 and was over 118 a couple of years.  The "new NBA" is really a return to what made it great to begin with, the execution of how they score is what is different.  

All of that said in a general sense, thus far the Spurs are a shit show on Defense.  We allow 116.8 PPG, 10th worst in the league.  We allow teams to shoot 49.3% overall, which is 3rd worst in the league.  39.7% from 3, which is 3rd worst in the league.  We flat out suck on D and not sure it will change much from a ranking sense as our perimeter D is terrible.  Lonnie is athletic but a rookie so he may not be ready for the intricacies of pro basketball D.   Don't think White will help much either.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He's known for big first halves.  Wears down in the stretch and been awful in the playoffs.  He just hasn't played well.  Moments seem too big for him.  Hopefully Pop can coach him up.

Here's hoping having the best coach in league history and players like LaMarcus who can take some of the scoring burden off DeMar will elevate his game to where he doesn't disappear in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Arguably the golden era of the NBA was from 82/83 to 90'.  Scoring averaged 107-110 for league averages.  Even the Bad Boy Pistons could score, and all of this scoring wasn't reliant on the 3 ball.  It was higher pace and a lot of contested midrange  J's.  The league average right now is 112 and that number will probably come down and settle in around 107/108.  There's nothing wrong with today's basketball nor are they impacting scoring records.  It's actually the 90's and the aughts which fucked up the league and the paradigm of scoring and the look of the league.  Go look at the 70's or 60's scoring averages.  From 60' - 70', scoring average for the league was never below 110 and was over 118 a couple of years.  The "new NBA" is really a return to what made it great to begin with, the execution of how they score is what is different. 

All of this.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Not going to stick my nose up at 5-2 but.... Spurs haven't played anybody worth a shit. They got boat raced by the only two teams they have played so far with winning records. I think .500 would exceed my expectations for the season.

You’re fun at parties I bet

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Not going to stick my nose up at 5-2 but.... Spurs haven't played anybody worth a shit. They got boat raced by the only two teams they have played so far with winning records. I think .500 would exceed my expectations for the season.

True on the competition, but I have to give SA credit for gelling well enough to win several games that easily could have been losses. DD's playmaking has been tremendous to this point. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Spurs just need to beat 100% of the shitty teams, half the average teams and steal  a handful from the serious contenders and the season is a success.

6 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Any of you Stat geeks want to show me some of those fancy advanced stats to show me that demar is playing well beyond just scoring a ton of points?

LOL!  It's 7 games.  SSS.  Just check his assist averages if you want to see it's a career high.

But yes, thus far it's his highest PER, WS/48, BPM, AST%, TS% etc, etc.  It's a hot start and players generally are more efficient in the Spurs system.  If this trend continues with DD or how much will be the thing to watch.

We got the best player in return we could have with DeRozan but I wouldn't hate the Saric/Simmons deal either. Both are young and have a lot of upside. We probably wouldn't be as good this year but the potential is there. 

Really the only deal I was never intrigued by was the Lakers unless they unloaded and gave up all of Hart, Kuzma and Ingram. 

The Spurs prioritized a proven player like DeRozan over potential. 

Edited by texasstrong12

There's a strong likelihood Demar will get us right where we don't want to be..... good enough to never be great.  While he's in his prime, he won't allow us to rebuild instead delaying the inevitable for a few years while we struggle for bottom playoff seeds.  Demar's a good player but he may not be what we really needed at all.  Giving up Danny instead of Patty and getting Poetl instead of Siakam were added kicks in the balls in the trade.  As Mitch pointed out, we've barely beat some shitty teams except for Phoenix.  We have a six game stretch leading up and thru Thanksgiving which will be interesting and probably tell us what to really expect with this team.  Starting on Nov 15 we go:

@ LAC (on back end of b2b)

GSW

@ NO

Memphis

@ Indy

@ Mil

Those last two are back 2 backs.  If those teams are fully healthy, let's see how we do during that stretch, before we make any sweeping generalizations.

I don't think that six game stretch tells us much of anything if we don't have Walker and White back. Our roster is limited without those two. 

Are those two going to make us a championship contender? Nah but I'm not going to read much into what this team looks like until we have the majority of our roster together. 

Right now we're in survival mode more than anything. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

There's a strong likelihood Demar will get us right where we don't want to be..... good enough to never be great.  While he's in his prime, he won't allow us to rebuild instead delaying the inevitable for a few years while we struggle for bottom playoff seeds.

Maybe this is all a ploy to maximize demarrs  trade value then  maybe they trade eveyone at the deadline for a butt load of picks over the next 5 years.  

21 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I guess I never heard anything solid about Saric and Simmons being offered...with or without Fultz. Simmons I’d have taken over any other player mentioned in KL dream scenarios.

Simmons was a non-starter for Philly.  A lot of rumors Philly thought about it but wouldn’t do Saric/Fultz/pick for Kawhi and stuff.  They may end up regretting that decision or maybe they didn’t feel comfortable making moves until settling their GM position, but it doesn’t look good early. They’ll hide behind they wouldn’t be able to re-sign him but that’s not necessarily true.