Treager

Rumblefishstix

Yes.  Had one for about 5 years.  Early on, I was a little disappointed with the temperature control, which seemed to fluctuate too much.  They came out with an upgraded controller, which I bought and installed, and it’s been great (keeps the temps in a tight range).  It is on the new models so it won’t be an issue for you.

I call it the lazy man’s smoker.  Easy to use, easy to get up, throw on the meat, and go back to bed.  Couple it with a good remote thermometer and it’s basically idiot proof.   I am comfortable leaving the house if I need to do so even for an extended period.  It’s also great for just putting a low temp smoke on meats then searing them.

You can’t get it as hot as, say, a BGE, but you can buy sear plates that work pretty well to increase the direct heat for searing.  Even without that the high setting will cook whatever you need, you just won’t get  the classic grill marks with the sear plates.

I will never go back to an offset, but, hey, I’m lazy.  Been looking at upgrading to the new Timberline model.

Edited by AustinMT

I have a Traeger, and it has positives and negatives.  The main positive is that is insanely easy to control the temperature.  It's exactly like an indoor oven.  The main negative, to me, is that the pellets don't really impart the smoky flavor to the meat very well.  I'm looking forward to getting a high quality offset stick burner at some point.

2 hours ago, NateHitch said:

Incredibly convenient and easy to use and clean. Will not impart the smoke flavor you might want. But it's also very versatile. I wouldn't want one as my primary smoker but they're still really nice

Only in Texas do we talk about primary and secondary smokers. 

• Like 3

I have one and it works great, thought I would probably get a Green Mountain Grill over Treager. I won mine through my kids preschool auction for real cheap and it works great, but not as good as a BGE. I have 4 year old twins and a 2 year old, so pellets work just fine for me right now.

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Your mom knows a dude who has a large stick burner.

This is true.

14 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

True. I know a dude who has a large stick burner, a large charcoal grill and a Webber Genesis and he has been thinking that it'd be nice to have a WSM or a BGE.

I am temporarily that dude.  I have a WSM, a Weber charcoal grill, and a Weber Spirit II gas grill on my patio right now.  Just bought a big offset and I'm bringing it home in a few days.  The WSM and charcoal grill are soon to be listed on Craigslist though.  Not trying to grow my fleet, just upgrading.

True. I know a dude who has a large stick burner, a large charcoal grill and a Webber Genesis and he has been thinking that it'd be nice to have a WSM or a BGE.

(Raises hand)

I have a Klose stick burner, a homemade mini WSM, Weber Genesis grill, an old Weber Spirit that needs innards replaced and a built-in outdoor grill that I’d like to remove. Next purchase will be a BGE.

23 hours ago, Focht Up said:

I have a Traeger, and it has positives and negatives.  The main positive is that is insanely easy to control the temperature.  It's exactly like an indoor oven.  The main negative, to me, is that the pellets don't really impart the smoky flavor to the meat very well.  I'm looking forward to getting a high quality offset stick burner at some point.

Isn't that what Liquid Smoke is for? 

Have watched the infomercials myself and been thinking of getting one, 30+ years in Texas and never bothered to learn how to smoke/bbq meats.