Taking up arms

Goredho

14 hours ago, jettrink said:

Didn't read all the horseshit, but why do you say that?  Serious question.

Because he's intentionally sowing division by pushing a narrative that is not only false, but is the polar opposite of reality and using that to advocate shutting down the free press, the cornerstone of a functional democracy. Maxine Waters hasn't called for violence. She's called for citizens to voice their dissent to officials in public. Some might find that distasteful, I'm split. Either way, that's the false part. The polar opposite of reality part is that Trump has EXPLICITLY directed his supporters to employ violence long before Maxine's comments. He's offered them financial support before he was even elected. Many of us pointed out the gravity of that at the time. Republicans supported him. It's more than just a lie that this civil unrest is a reaction to a black woman's call to violence, it's the opposite of reality. Trying to parlay that to shut down the free press, an idea the president has publicly bandied about, should alarm you if you believe in the ideals this country was founded on.

So if one wants to critique how far along the spectrum that is to going "full" Nazi, fine. It's well past time to acknowledge there are some broad daylight essentials displayed here.

http://www.openculture.com/2018/10/yale-professor-jason-stanley-identifies-three-essential-features-of-fascism.html

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 10/25/2018 at 7:09 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

You have also have CNN MSNBC etc pushing this agend before Trump ever took office. The true unrest started when the children lost the election. The temper tantrum hasn’t stopped yet. 

Violence is ratings and as Maxine and the gang call for violence and then are shocked when the favor is returned. 

You want the country back to normal?  Shut down main stream media. All of it. PBS only, equal air time only. 

But make no mistake. This is exactly what the liberal elite have been pushing for since Nov 2016

Chicken's post

so I brought up the MAGAbomber last night in private texts.with one of these guys on my FB feed that I referenced in my first post. We were fair-enough friends in HS, played football together, hung out a fair amount.  He was as normal and sane  as any of us were.  Punk kid, liked to get drunk, smoke weed occassionally, chased pussy like any other dipshit HS kid from rural West Texas.

Anyway, his response to me asking his opinion about the MAGAbomber was to send me Thomas Jefferson’s quote about the Tree of Liberty being  refreshed by the blood of patriots.  So now I’m like, fuck, should I raise a flag on this guy?  We haven’t kept up with each other in a meaningful way, so I don’t have any real insight into who the fuck he is now. I’ve reached out to some others that are closer to him to see if they are alarmed about what this dude and others are saying.

On 10/28/2018 at 8:51 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Lmao. Seek help

Free Prrss should be a fundemental right. That is not what we have anymore. Our main sources of news are the same as major corporations. Follow the money. They left real journalism at the door years ago for TMZ

Nazi punk fuck off.

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Anyway, his response to me asking his opinion about the MAGAbomber was to send me Thomas Jefferson’s quote about the Tree of Liberty being  refreshed by the blood of patriots.

Quotes that involve calls to bloodshed are typically uttered by Walter Mittys. Me personally I'd still keep an eye on him, but most likely he's just an airbag choad.

17 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

As we've seen so far this week, people who say that they'll kill people might kill people. It's sad, but that is reality.

So, is Brisket on some list?

I guess you have to do what your conscience tells you to do. 

Not sure you are going to get any authority figure all that motivated based on the simple facts presented here.

The blood/tree of liberty quote is pretty fucking common and not what I would consider a "threat of violence".  

The most likely at this point and most dangerous need to take up arms would be if the current President declared a state of emergency and put the military into the streets.  In fact the reason for the first Amendment is to defend us against bad government in the extreme.

All the racists being scared of brown, black, muslim, jews that are armed in the West texas countryside are gonna be fighting a war where they have the fire power. Their biggest adjustment will be that they simply don't lead the brown women and children as much... 

Edited by horn4life

There wont be an armed uprising is the Right loses the House and/or the Senate.  There wont be an armed uprising if the Right keeps the House and/or the Senate.

Regardless of the outcome, there will be unstable morons that will act violently in response to the outcome. 

Specifically, I think Seattle and Portland will have problems regardless of who wins. 

Places like St Louis and Atlanta have calmed down dramatically leading up to this election and there is some hope for stability there. 

I’m not looking for advice, I know what I’m going to do based on getting more info.  More than anything I’m just taken aback at the bloom of Americans with extremist views promoting violence as an answer.

Sure, there have always been and always will be extremists, some who wind up being violent nut jobs.  But as a 48 year old, I’ve lived long enough to have noticed a giant leap in the past few years above what had been a slowly increasing baseline.  I’m stumbling over at least the romantic notion of violent extremism all over the place now, where I was never personally a witness to that before 3-4 years ago.  As that group increases in size, so do the numbers of its members that hit that tipping point of violent action.

American manufacturing is on the rise again.  Except we’re manufacturing congressional softball shooters, MAGAbombera and synagogue shooters.

Edited by Goredho

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

The blood/tree of liberty quote is pretty fucking common and not what I would consider a "threat of violence".  

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This

Yeah, well, I want someone to try and “come and take it”, just so afterwards I can tell’em to “take the loss, pussy”!

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

I’m not looking for advice, I know what I’m going to do based on getting more info.  More than anything I’m just taken aback at the bloom of Americans with extremist views promoting violence as an answer.

Sure, there have always been and always will be extremists, some who wind up being violent nut jobs.  But as a 48 year old, I’ve lived long enough to have noticed a giant leap in the past few years above what had been a slowly increasing baseline.  I’m stumbling over at least the romantic notion of violent extremism all over the place now, where I was never personally a witness to that before 3-4 years ago.  As that group increases in size, so do the numbers of its members that hit that tipping point of violent action.

American manufacturing is on the rise again.  Except we’re manufacturing congressional softball shooters, MAGAbombera and synagogue shooters.

Part of the problem is determining how many there actually were when we were younger (I’m a man, also in my 40s), because they definitely existed.  

The whole survivalist movement in the 80s was made up of these types, except they framed their worldview in the context of the Cold War.   Red Dawn was a wet dream for many of them.  They were a fairly big movement, judging by the literary output, both nonfiction and fiction, that catered to them   Major publishing houses catered to them, but also kept some of their crazier stuff in check.

15 years ago, unless you personally knew these types, you would never come into contact with their extremist views, outside of occasional hints when they called into radio talk shows, public access shows, saw some email chain, or posted fliers.  

Now they self-publish their books and magazines and have websites and forums and social media, which means we get/see everything unfiltered.

James Cromwell: US 'will have a revolution for real' if Trump isn't stopped

Actor James Cromwell says the U.S. is facing a blood-filled "revolution" if President Trump isn’t stopped.

“This is nascent fascism. We always had a turnkey, totalitarian state — all we needed was an excuse, and all the institutions were in place to turn this into pure fascism,” the “Babe” star told Variety in a Sunday interview at the Carney Awards in Los Angeles.

“If we don’t stop [Trump] now, then we will have a revolution for real. Then there will be blood in the streets,” Cromwell, 78, said.

“We’re living in very curious times, and something is coming up which is desperately important to this country and to this planet, and that is an election, in which hopefully, in some measure, we are going to take back our democracy,” Cromwell, a longtime political, environmental and animal rights activist, said during the awards ceremony.

“We will have a government that represents us and not the donor class. We will cut through the corruption, [and] we won’t have to do what comes next, which is either a nonviolent revolution or a violent one, because this has got to end.”

Cromwell was reportedly sentenced to jail last year after refusing to pay fines following an arrest while protesting outside a New York power plant. The Oscar nominee was also arrested in 2017 at a protest of SeaWorld’s orca show in San Diego.

Cromwell has previously urged more of Hollywood to ramp up their political activism, telling the Daily Mail last year, “This community has got to get more engaged. This community has got to get more political. More than our survival as an industry, our appropriateness is at stake. What’s really at stake is our humanity and all sentient life.”

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/413634-james-cromwell-us-will-have-a-revolution-for-real-if-trump-isnt#.W9cu8h5tZKI.twitter

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Part of the problem is determining how many there actually were when we were younger (I’m a man, also in my 40s), because they definitely existed.  

The whole survivalist movement in the 80s was made up of these types, except they framed their worldview in the context of the Cold War.   Red Dawn was a wet dream for many of them.  They were a fairly big movement, judging by the literary output, both nonfiction and fiction, that catered to them   Major publishing houses catered to them, but also kept some of their crazier stuff in check.

15 years ago, unless you personally knew these types, you would never come into contact with their extremist views, outside of occasional hints when they called into radio talk shows, public access shows, saw some email chain, or posted fliers.  

Now they self-publish their books and magazines and have websites and forums and social media, which means we get/see everything unfiltered.

No doubt the rise of the intardnet gave means for these people to communicate and congregate without regards for geographic location.  It exponentially increased the radius and range with which information is spread.  

But the internet and/or social media is simply the most effective current mechanism for exchanging information.  Where we are now is not solely or predominantly because of it.  There is the explosion of progenitors and amplifiers of information that have the choice as to wheat they generate or amplify.  Some of them, most notably our President, have chosen to produce or amplify messages of hatred and intolerance between Americans for their own less-than-noble reasons.

What is undeniable is that an extremist in 2018 has been subjected to orders of magnitude more extremist information than an extremist in1988.  That massive amount of information exerts an influence on their thinking and possibly inspires them to act.

Whether you want to blame the technology that makes it possible or the people leveraging it to stoke the flames of hatred between Americans far and wide is up to you.  I place more blame on the latter.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Whether you want to blame the technology that makes it possible or the people leveraging it to stoke the flames of hatred between Americans far and wide is up to you.  I place more blame on the latter.

I blame both.  If you were one of these nutters in the 80s, you’re really not going to be aware of how many others are out there.  You might hit up a B. Dalton, and see some fictional survivalist novels (with lots of guns and sex - my young self appreciated all of the sex) and think there are at least some others out there who think like you do.   You might find a flier for somebody at a gun store or range.  All localized though.   Red Dawn, etc. gets the juices flowing, but it wasn’t targeted at the extremists so much as it was about patriotism under Reagan    Outside of relatives and friends, nobody is exposed to your nuttiness   

Then you have the 90s and text files and BBSes.  You knew there were people out there thinking the way you do.  Find the right BBS, and you can connect with them, but that still involved some effort and expense.  But the important thing is that you were able to connect and you actually knew others thought like you.  Toss in public access tv (local) and then the occasional caller to Rush Limbaugh, or the Art Bell show, and things start to change.  Still, you’re not exposing the public at large  

Fast forward to the early 2000s and not only can you easily connect with hundreds, even thousands who think like you, but you get to reinforce your views, and even normalize them, and the other people you are talking with get to reinforce and normalize their views.  The public at large is starting to be exposed to your nuttiness.   

And here in 2018, you get Dotard saying things that sound like dog whistles, and you see Q t-shirts at his rallies. The public can’t help but be exposed to your nuttiness.

I’m really rambling now, but I think it’s important to throw in that even though you are connecting with thousands of others like yourself, and seeing your message everywhere, thereby exposing the public at large, you are also inviting an unprecedented level of criticism and scrutiny.

That criticism and scrutiny was never present until things hit the internet at large.

Not sure where this is going, but I do blame both technology making it easy to spread and reinforce  their views, as well as people actively stoking the anger, while at the same time I think it’s good that these people’s views are being exposed to the light, and getting a massive amount of negative publicity.  People losing jobs, being kicked out of places, etc.is maybe going to persuade some of them to reconsider their life choices   

That criticism and scrutiny is going to push away plenty of the more moderate nutters, but it will harden the remaining ones.   That’s a huge fucking problem.  

• Like 2