Taking up arms

Goredho

12 minutes ago, Goredho said:

So you are saying "First world problems?"  Or maybe more accurately "Lone Superpower Problems?"

Lone Superpower Problems.  We're determined to suicide ourselves into some bloody, backwater, answerable to some combination of Russia and China. Because we can!

• Like 1

We are a soft nation with little wherewithal to mount any sustainable uprising. People freak out about boiling water and Satan on Starbucks cups.

You people have spent too much time with the fringe, on social media and reading extremists’ rhetoric.

More likely, we are in danger of eating each other from within while China or Russia positions itself to push In our shit. Our national discourse is arguing about transsexuals, diet soda and which Kardashian has the best ass. Civil War? Whatever.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BLKNSTY said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt a civil war is on the horizon.

Everyone saying that the 60s were a crazier time, I don’t buy it. there’s one, fairly important, difference.

SOCIAL MEDIA.

There’s a reason why they take fbook, etc. offline prior to elections in third-world countries. People, as a whole, are fucking retarded and extremely susceptible to believing something just because it jives well with how they “think”.

You have also have CNN MSNBC etc pushing this agend before Trump ever took office. The true unrest started when the children lost the election. The temper tantrum hasn’t stopped yet. 

Violence is ratings and as Maxine and the gang call for violence and then are shocked when the favor is returned. 

You want the country back to normal?  Shut down main stream media. All of it. PBS only, equal air time only. 

But make no mistake. This is exactly what the liberal elite have been pushing for since Nov 2016

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

My FB feed is full of people I grew up with in West Texas predicting bloodshed if the dems "seize control" with the midterm results.  They seem resigned to some loss of GOP control, and are prodding each other into escalating levels of anger and rage over the loss of the 2nd amendment and the hordes of MS-13 members that will be streaming across the border to rape, murder and pillage.  Given that, lock her up, Charlottesville, the softball shooting and now mail bombs, It got me contemplating how close we might be to a real uprising and what it would personally take for me to get to the where I am willing to take up arms against other Americans.

I don't think we are close to some organized revolution, but I do think the context is in place for the ignition of a chain of violent events.  Most of these people preaching armed resistance are intardnet tough guys that won't act, but it takes only a small fraction to be worked up into enough of a frenzy to kick some crazy shit off.  We've already seen it happen with police shootings, corresponding riots and the cop killings in Dallas, LA, etc...

For me, I've got young kids, so shit would have to get personally bad for us for me to risk them growing up sans padre.  Our daily life would need to be impacted, or their future to become so dark that it would trump my responsibility to shepherd them into adulthood as decent human beings.  If our Democracy went full Brisketopia, and Trumpism became entrenched and endured beyond Trump's time in office for an extended period, I would start to become very uneasy about the future world they would live in.  Basically, it would probably boil down to whether our current context is an anomaly and our democracy stabilizes after a power-shift back towards the middle.

I'm curious what others think, either in terms of how close we are edging to a real revolution or what it would take for you personally to seriously consider violence and bloodshed as the best solution to America's internal problems.

I'm not pointing a gun at another human being unless my property or SOMEBODY is threatened.  Once we pass that threshhold, I cannot say.

I too, tire of the internet toughguys or alleged gun afficonados who think they'll Rambo down the world and get their way.   The world ain't quite that way, Tojo...

Similarly, there's a reason much of the Antifa/ Occupy/ bitchassery by the left doesn't occur in Texas... because those people would get fucked up.

Civility is a two way street.  most folks don't have the sand for real conflict.  they wouldn't really get upset until you cut off the internet and taco bell.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

I'm not pointing a gun at another human being unless my property or SOMEBODY is threatened.  Once we pass that threshhold, I cannot say.

I too, tire of the internet toughguys or alleged gun afficonados who think they'll Rambo down the world and get their way.   The world ain't quite that way, Tojo...

Similarly, there's a reason much of the Antifa/ Occupy/ bitchassery by the left doesn't occur in Texas... because those people would get fucked up.

Civility is a two way street.  most folks don't have the sand for real conflict.  they wouldn't really get upset until you cut off the internet and taco bell.

LOL

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The true unrest started when the children lost the election. The temper tantrum hasn’t stopped yet. 

Oh, sorry. I thought you were talking about FOX News circa 2008. 

When they heard a knee grow won, the wave of shit set high water marks.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

You have also have CNN MSNBC etc pushing this agend before Trump ever took office. The true unrest started when the children lost the election. The temper tantrum hasn’t stopped yet. 

Violence is ratings and as Maxine and the gang call for violence and then are shocked when the favor is returned. 

You want the country back to normal?  Shut down main stream media. All of it. PBS only, equal air time only. 

But make no mistake. This is exactly what the liberal elite have been pushing for since Nov 2016

Provide a quote of Maxine Waters or any other Democrat calling for violence.

5 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Which news, I guess. Every TV in every hotel and conference room I've seen is BOMBPALOOZA 2018 the last 48 hours and has definitely drowned out, but I did go to the Hawks season opener last night against the Mavs and I bet if I asked some people in that State Farm Arena I would hear some Abrams support-- because this city more than any other I've been to seems racially divided (and even geographically racially divided North and South, like Dallas).

How’s the newly renovated  Hawks arena? Looks pretty cool. They have TopGolf in some of the suites

If you still have Facebook (been off of that shit since 2011), you’re a dumb mother fucker.

There’s a million different ways to stay connected to people you care about. The “but I wanna see photos of my family and their children” excuse isn’t good enough. Find other ways to receive and send those pics.

The Facebook platform started destroying families and relationships, then it allowed foreign influence/interference to fuck with our politics, and they knew about it.

Fuck them.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, texas08 said:

If you still have Facebook (been off of that shit since 2011), you’re a dumb mother fucker.

There’s a million different ways to stay connected to people you care about. The “but I wanna see photos of my family and their children” excuse isn’t good enough. Find other ways to receive and send those pics.

The Facebook platform started destroying families and relationships, then it allowed foreign influence/interference to fuck with our politics, and they knew about it.

Fuck them.

I still have Facebook for 1 reason. My 90yo aunt in Bakersfield thinks it cool to chat with family that way. I check in every couple of weeks to chat then bail.

The rest of FB is a cesspool. When she dies so does my account.

5 hours ago, BLKNSTY said:

I don’t think there’s any doubt a civil war is on the horizon.

Everyone saying that the 60s were a crazier time, I don’t buy it. there’s one, fairly important, difference.

SOCIAL MEDIA.

There’s a reason why they take fbook, etc. offline prior to elections in third-world countries. People, as a whole, are fucking retarded and extremely susceptible to believing something just because it jives well with how they “think”.

Nope.

Vietnam saw 10% of young men in uniform (over 9 million served between '64-'75), and that era was combined with the Civil Rights movement.  While not nearly as many people were drafted as you'd think, the chance was there for most young men (particularly minorities) to be drafted and potentially end up in a war they opposed.  That ramped the tension way the fuck up.

Back in '92, Los Angeles exploded when a bunch of cops got off for beating a black man.  Over 60 people died, 2,300 were wounded, and over 12,000 arrested.

Here in 2018 we have this amazing social media that blows up every time there's a video of a black man being murdered by a cop.  Nothing comes close to the '92 riots.  Nothing.  People get outraged, post their thoughts and prayers, and there's some demonstrations, but nothing approaching that.

Trump supporters get outraged, post memes on Facebook, and then spend the evening being told what to think by Fox News.  The Dems post their own memes, bitch on social media/twitter/etc., and also do nothing.

People are way too comfortable these days.  They may act outraged, but they don't have a lot of skin in the actual game.  We have way too many distractions here in 2018 for people to get out of their comfort zone and start shit.

If the Trumpkins weren't willing to take up arms when a Muslim, atheist, Kenyan Organizer from Chicago who was born in Indonesia, was elected to the White House, they won't do shit now.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Nope.

Vietnam saw 10% of young men in uniform (over 9 million served between '64-'75), and that era was combined with the Civil Rights movement.  While not nearly as many people were drafted as you'd think, the chance was there for most young men (particularly minorities) to be drafted and potentially end up in a war they opposed.  That ramped the tension way the fuck up.

Back in '92, Los Angeles exploded when a bunch of cops got off for beating a black man.  Over 60 people died, 2,300 were wounded, and over 12,000 arrested.

Here in 2018 we have this amazing social media that blows up every time there's a video of a black man being murdered by a cop.  Nothing comes close to the '92 riots.  Nothing.  People get outraged, post their thoughts and prayers, and there's some demonstrations, but nothing approaching that.

Trump supporters get outraged, post memes on Facebook, and then spend the evening being told what to think by Fox News.  The Dems post their own memes, bitch on social media/twitter/etc., and also do nothing.

People are way too comfortable these days.  They may act outraged, but they don't have a lot of skin in the actual game.  We have way too many distractions here in 2018 for people to get out of their comfort zone and start shit.

If the Trumpkins weren't willing to take up arms when a Muslim, atheist, Kenyan Organizer from Chicago who was born in Indonesia, was elected to the White House, they won't do shit now.

I hope you are correct.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I hope you are correct.

I hope so too.  8 years of Obama and these fuckers doing very little makes me think I’m right, especially given the morons who think he was born outside of the US  

Something else about social media - a whole bunch of the people you would think would be the ones starting up the civil war shit are terrified of social media.  After Charlottesville, when many of them started to be outted and were losing jobs, being kicked out of school, kicked out of their parents homes, etc. they mostly toned it down and did the “that’s not who I am bullshit.”

Sure, they pumped themselves up with their Pier One tiki torches, but then people whipped out their phones, and they discovered there were real consequences to their actions that will stay with them for the rest of their lives, or until they change their names. 

Social media is constantly taking down racists, and doing so in a manner that the whole world can see.  Look at the idiots calling cops on black people doing normal things.  The idiots are finding out that harassing black people can have consequences, up to and including loss of jobs. 

Edited by atomheartbevo

an armed uprising is coming, revolution is coming, but it won't be in november.  i hadn't heard that the right was planning on an armed uprising if they lost the house.  all we did when hillary lost the presidency is cry.  but i guess the right has always been more violent and intolerant.  

the reason revolution is coming and is inevitable is never has there been a nation that could operate with gross income disparity.  never.  it always ends in revolution.  france, russia, mexico, nicaragua, etc. if the rich keep getting richer, equilibrium is coming.  if the government can't bring about the correction, bats and molotov cocktails will.   riots are the voices of the unheard.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

this is frame worthy stuff here

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

an armed uprising is coming, revolution is coming, but it won't be in november.  i hadn't heard that the right was planning on an armed uprising if they lost the house.  all we did when hillary lost the presidency is cry.  but i guess the right has always been more violent and intolerant.  

the reason revolution is coming and is inevitable is never has there been a nation that could operate with gross income disparity.  never.  it always ends in revolution.  france, russia, mexico, nicaragua, etc. if the rich keep getting richer, equilibrium is coming.  if the government can't bring about the correction, bats and molotov cocktails will.   riots are the voices of the unheard.  

Please. As long as we have value menus at fast food restaurants and everyone has an iPhone, there will be no uprising.

8 minutes ago, housious said:

Please. As long as we have value menus at fast food restaurants and everyone has an iPhone, there will be no uprising.

iPhones are extremely efficient at spreading disinformation and stoking fears.  I wouldn't point to that as a mitigator of unrest.

51 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

iPhones are extremely efficient at spreading disinformation and stoking fears.  I wouldn't point to that as a mitigator of unrest.

That's why he combined them with fast food value menus. In underfed countries like India, yes, some video goes viral and everybody springs to their bony little feet and run run runs on their skinny little legs down to where the lynch mob is. If you took those same people, sat a Hardee's $4 gutbuster selection in front of them, had their intestines already digesting yesterday's gutbuster, and then wrapped them in 80 pounds of good healthy fat from 5 years' previous happy meals, they'd sit there and keep flicking through Instagram.

5 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I would agree with the above points, except there is a big problem for those wanting revolution of some sort: the poor have never been more distracted. 

Go to a third-hand trailer in Appalachia, and you will find a flatscreen TV, a video game console, and internet access of some kind.  Food and other necessities can be cheap and easy to get.  Games, social media, etc. are free if you can swing a callphonw data plan.   

It’s going to have to get extremely bad for a lot of folks to reach the point where they feel like rising up.  A lot worse than most of us can imagine.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

The “Information Age” has consequences. I don’t know about anyone taking up arms but I do believe our collective mental stability is headed for all time lows.  Violence is not an unreasonable expectation if that’s the case.

Also, fat bubba fake alphas and FOX News olds in scooters vs. Hippie olds and skinny jeans millenials is probably not about to play out in the streets, which is evidently to the chagrin of some around here.

Only thing that night change that would be if the economy tanks for a long period and/or elections are blatantly fucked with. I splitting into multiple nations is more likely than a civil war.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just now, gmr548 said:

Also, fat bubba fake alphas and FOX News olds in scooters vs. Hippie olds and skinny jeans millenials is probably not about to play out in the streets, which is evidently to the chagrin of some around here.

Only thing that night change that would be if the economy tanks for a long period and/or elections are blatantly fucked with. I splitting into multiple nations is more likely than a civil war.

I just cannot wrap my mind around this given the strength, budget, and weaponry of the United States military. It seems to me that any attempt to secede or split from the union would be met with swift retribution from the federal government.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I just cannot wrap my mind around this given the strength, budget, and weaponry of the United States military. It seems to me that any attempt to secede or split from the union would be met with swift retribution from the federal government.

I completely agree.  The economies don't work, the politics don't work, none of it works.  People seem to think the US would willingly split into East/West Pakistan sandwiching India.  Nope.

I'm expecting Kemp to win because I'm full on Brisket with how corrupt and broken our system is in our state. Trevor Noah accurately called this some African-level shit with the type of election process. I've never been to a protest in my life, but I will have to go to one if he wins.

Also, ignore OatmealRasinConcernTrollDipshit. I fucking live here, there is a ton of enthusiasm in some of the younger more diverse suburbs. Sure it's still GA and they will probably break Red, but I can absolutely tell the difference between the energy now and in 2016. Even though we saw that crazy (possibly Kemp influenced) loss in GA-06, there was an enormous swing around 9 or 10 points in comparison to Price's margin of victory in 2016. There is no way that district doesn't at least shift that way again given we're seeing over 31% of voters right now who didn't vote at all in 2014.

I didn't phrase that well - of course one group or another trying to break away is necessary for a civil war.

I agree with you that it would be unlikely and that a federal government controlled by Rs isn't about to let Cali walk out the door, or vise versa with regard to Texas and a D controlled government.

I don't see anyone gaining and holding control of the federal government for long enough to make the south or the west coast or whatever even seriously consider secession. I do think the gridlock and polarization could get to a point where the right and the left say fuck it and agree to go their separate ways while maintaining some level of economic ties.

Just now, gmr548 said:

I didn't phrase that well - of course one group or another trying to break away is necessary for a civil war.

I agree with you that it would be unlikely and that a federal government controlled by Rs isn't about to let Cali walk out the door, or vise versa with regard to Texas and a D controlled government.

I don't see anyone gaining and holding control of the federal government for long enough to make the south or the west coast or whatever even seriously consider secession. I do think the gridlock and polarization could get to a point where the right and the left say fuck it and agree to go their separate ways while maintaining some level of economic ties.

The dissolution of the United States of America is a fascinating topic to discuss, mainly because it is as difficult to envision as it is certain to occur.

21 hours ago, Newdoc said:

We are a soft nation with little wherewithal to mount any sustainable uprising. People freak out about boiling water and Satan on Starbucks cups.

You people have spent too much time with the fringe, on social media and reading extremists’ rhetoric.

More likely, we are in danger of eating each other from within while China or Russia positions itself to push In our shit. Our national discourse is arguing about transsexuals, diet soda and which Kardashian has the best ass. Civil War? Whatever.

I ate your mom from within

If a war breaks out I think there will be two weapons of choice.  On the high end it will be an armored helicopter gunship.  Those things are bad news to folks on the ground.  The other will be pickups with either .30 caliber or .50 caliber machine guns mounted in the bed.  The two weapons in tandem will be particularly nasty.

I have some Lefty friends who talk about an armed uprising by left-wingers.  That makes no sense to me.  I remember one conversation where there were several on the Left and several on the Right.  I'll bet gun ownership on the Right was ten times that of the Left.  And skill with guns was very disproportionate as well.

Do you know police and sheriff's deputies?  I don't know any who are Lefties.

On a large scale rifles in the hands of people who know how to shoot and have plenty of ammo.  Some angry sumbitch with a pistol had better just hide under his bed. 

If a war breaks out I think there will be two weapons of choice.  On the high end it will be an armored helicopter gunship.  Those things are bad news to folks on the ground.  The other will be pickups with either .30 caliber or .50 caliber machine guns mounted in the bed.  The two weapons in tandem will be particularly nasty.
I have some Lefty friends who talk about an armed uprising by left-wingers.  That makes no sense to me.  I remember one conversation where there were several on the Left and several on the Right.  I'll bet gun ownership on the Right was ten times that of the Left.  And skill with guns was very disproportionate as well.
Do you know police and sheriff's deputies?  I don't know any who are Lefties.
On a large scale rifles in the hands of people who know how to shoot and have plenty of ammo.  Some angry sumbitch with a pistol had better just hide under his bed. 

Judging by how many shots they end up firing at innocent black people to actually hit and kill them I'd say that the cops aren't great with marksmanship so not real worried about them. The kind of tubby, insecure pussy that has a huge gun collection is simply too out of shape to be of use in a conflict, and would also probably snap if shit hit the fan.

The kind of liberals that would talk about an armed uprising are too soft to do it but no one is scared of the right wing warrior class. We've seen them get their shit kicked in by antifa on the regular despite feeling real tough with their guns carried openly.

The biggest threat of armed uprising would be the bottom 80 percent vs the top 20 percent if we continue to tend toward third world levels of inequality. Rich are fucked in that scenario.

• Like 1

Just now, gmr548 said:

The kind of liberals that would talk about an armed uprising are too soft to do it but no one is scared of the right wing warrior class.

Armed liberals are easily the most terrifying. 

Biggest shootout in LA history. 

Spoiler alert: the liberal militia (SLA) lost. 

i think you guys are crazy.  there won't be an armed uprising no matter what happens next week.  and anyone cheering for one is just as bad as the person explicitly asking for one.

There have been at least two armed uprisings in the last four years. Trump pardoned those involved.

9 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

There was plenty of crying of course.   And some of this:

?format=750w

via this:

Could have been much worse of course.  /purplerevolution

SorosPurpleRevolution-Riots.jpg

4 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Our military couldn’t pacify Iraq, a nation physically smaller than Texas, and with less than 10% of the US population.   

4 hours ago, Caddox said:

The “Information Age” has consequences. I don’t know about anyone taking up arms but I do believe our collective mental stability is headed for all time lows.  Violence is not an unreasonable expectation if that’s the case.

People rioted when the cops that beat Rodney King got off.  Many killed, thousands injured, over 10,000 arrested   

We can’t seem to go a month without a cop murdering an unarmed black guy, and nothing seriously happens.

16 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We half-assed that.

US Army has less than 500,000 active duty.   200,000 in the Reserve.  Not tossing in NG because the feds probably couldn’t get many to turn on their fellow citizens,   Probably 80% of that is focused on logistics, infrastructure, etc. who keep things running for the actual combat units.   Hell, trying to get the NG and Reserves up and running quickly would be difficult anyways   

I'm not tossing in Navy, Air Force, or Marines, because either they don’t have the tools to deal with this kind of thing, or they would be spread even thinner.  

How are you going to spread  less than 150,000 combat troops across a vast nation of 330,000,000?  Especially when that 330,000,000 has millions of armed military vets?

When you look at the dozens of military bases in the US, our military would have a serious problem just with pacifying the areas within a hundred miles of those bases.  

If you want your mythical police state, you’re going to have to rely on local cops.  Only problem is there’s less than a million of them as well, and you won’t be able to get many of the larger cities to buy in.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This is where you will see your unrest.  Put people out of work, and if they can’t eat, things go south quick.  Great Depression II would Ben ugly.  

But the feds won’t let it happen.  And whichever party is in power is going to be trying like hell to prevent it, because the party in power taking the blame is going to be out of power for a long fucking time.  There’s a reason why Hoover lost and FDR kept winning.  

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Armed liberals are easily the most terrifying. 

Biggest shootout in LA history. 

Spoiler alert: the liberal militia (SLA) lost. 

Didn't they miss all of their targets? Like fired a shit load of rounds but managed to never actually shoot anyone?

I'm pretty sure in a head to head match those two guys from the Northern Hollywood Robbery would TKO the SLA in round 1.