Mr. Inbetween

Prepuce of Doom

I don't know if there was already a thread, but if so, it's impossible to find with such general search terms. 

Mr. Inbetween is a mini series from Australia about the day to day life a hitman. A lot of obvious similarities to Barry, but a little less frivolous whimsy and a little more sporadic ultraviolence, almost comic-bookish. 

It wasn't very well publicized, but it aired on FX a while ago. There are a total of 6 35 minute episodes available on demand. DirecTV's piece of shit search function cocks it up a bit, but some of the episodes are actually two episodes in a single download. 

It's an entertaining show and I'd recommend it to the peanut gallery here. Watch it with subtitles on though. 

I liked it a lot. I went into it with a different expectation. From the commercials, I expected more of a guy with general anger issues, just getting in fights with the assholes of the world. It has some of that but I did not expect the hitman angle. Unfortunately, my damned DVR cut off the first 25 minutes of the penultimate episode and gave me 25 minutes of the show that followed the finale(they would show two episodes, back to back, each week). I got the jist of what I missed but still, kinda made me want to kick a bugger in the balls.

• 2 years later...

The scene where he walks back into the train tunnel to take care of something is really powerful (trying not to spoil the moment here for those who've not seen it... interaction between two characters is heightened by the look of resolution on his face)

• Like 3

19 hours ago, ultimaton said:

Started watching this a while back ago and just finished the first season a week or so ago. Loved it, can't wait to get into season two. 

The Magician, the movie that the show is based on, is on Prime and is pretty good if you're a fan of Mr. Inbetween. 

We watched The Magician last night, and while I was a bit tired from a day of eating edibles, we found it to be pretty slow and awkwardly paced, at least after having seen all of the TV shows. 

The movie featured a few of the scenes, etc., that were later polished up and incorporated into the TV show, so I imagine that the movie is probably more enjoyable before you see the show rather than the other way around. 

In all, watching the movie after the TV show felt like reading the first draft after having already reading a polished and edited final version. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mr. sunshine said:

Shit just got real in the last couple of episodes. Series finale is next week. I love this show 

Yeah. 

Spoiler

For much of the most recent episode, I was thinking about how "out of character" it was for the show to be setting Ray up to fall in love and live happily ever after at the conclusion of the series. I thought it was a bit incongruous, but ultimately figured that he'd paid his dues and maybe he'd find a way out of the life. 

But alas... 

I bet he kills that Russell Crowe-looking asshole. 

22 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Yeah. 

Reveal hidden contents

For much of the most recent episode, I was thinking about how "out of character" it was for the show to be setting Ray up to fall in love and live happily ever after at the conclusion of the series. I thought it was a bit incongruous, but ultimately figured that he'd paid his dues and maybe he'd find a way out of the life. 

But alas... 

I bet he kills that Russell Crowe-looking asshole. 

Spoiler

What a difference a kangaroo in the road makes 

• Rage+1 1

• 1 year later...

Watching The Old Man and this popped up on my Hulu home page. Had to stay up for teenagers to return home on a Saturday so binged it again.

If you haven’t watched this show you should. It’s really well done and Ray may might me my second favorite TV character behind Raylan Givens.

And I really hope they resurrect it for future shows, movie whatever.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Hook 'Em 1