Yeah uh, we need a real offensive coordinator

GreenspointTexas

13 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

There’s receivers open nearly every play.  Unless Sam learns to see the whole field next year, I hate to say this, but he might need to lead from the bench.  I’m sure Herman is aware of this and does something about it.  

Wow. Major retard alert. 

54 minutes ago, El Hornarino said:

But other than that, how's the defense?

To be clear, in describing the exhaustion, poor tackling and poor pursuit, I was talking about the fourth quarter. The exhaustion leads to the other things thus the offensive strategy may be as much about resting the D as it is about running out the time left in the game. 

I can't think of any other reason a defense that plays so well for three quarters plays so poorly in the fourth. There just aren't enough of them to keep them fresh.

Actually I chart plays during the games. And both teams were completely out of character in the first 30 minutes based on their year to date play calling. Ou’s play calls changed dramatically on their last drive at the end of the first half. 

But, I got the impression that both staffs were paranoid trying far to hard to break what they believed to be their own tendencies. To the point neither team could develop continuity. And the OU middle was opening almost the entire game. This was seen by the two drops by Texas receivers in both their second and third possessions which were easy touchdowns had they been caught. And then it was almost late in the game before Texas went back to attacking that part of the defense. I found that rather strange.

1 minute ago, Hamttx said:

Actually I chart plays during the games. And both teams were completely out of character in the first 30 minutes based on their year to date play calling. Ou’s play calls changed dramatically on their last drive at the end of the first half. 

But, I got the impression that both staffs were paranoid trying far to hard to break what they believed to be their own tendencies. To the point neither team could develop continuity. And the OU middle was opening almost the entire game. This was seen by the two drops by Texas receivers in both their second and third possessions which were easy touchdowns had they been caught. And then it was almost late in the game before Texas went back to attacking that part of the defense. I found that rather strange.

I don't like to make a blanket comment on play calling because it too often ignores aspects such as defensive alignment and offensive execution.

Your comment gives some substance to my feeling that we were pressing too hard in our strategy. I thought we should persist in battering them with running plays in hopes of breaking them in the fourth quarter, but what the fuck do I know?

Interesting post.

Just now, Here’s the deal said:

Watch the 4th quarter again and watch Sams eyes.  He locks in on one side of the field and rarely looks off, unless he’s got enough time to scramble.  Safety was a perfect example of what I’m talking about.  But don’t be so hard on yourself.

Tunnel vision for sure.  But still that’s my quarterback.  He’ll be great next year. Look at his improvement this year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't like to make a blanket comment on play calling because it too often ignores aspects such as defensive alignment and offensive execution.

Your comment gives some substance to my feeling that we were pressing too hard in our strategy. I thought we should persist in battering them with running plays in hopes of breaking them in the fourth quarter, but what the fuck do I know?

Interesting post.

I agree but our receivers were destroying their defensive backs. 

1 minute ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Tunnel vision for sure.  But still that’s my quarterback.  He’ll be great next year. Look at his improvement this year

Yep. On that safety play he really didn't have time to do anything. I doubt he would have escaped even if he looked over that way after checking his first read. Great blitz.

3 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

Watch the 4th quarter again and watch Sams eyes.  He locks in on one side of the field and rarely looks off, unless he’s got enough time to scramble.  Safety was a perfect example of what I’m talking about.  But don’t be so hard on yourself.

So he is not perfect? No shit? 

Should totally bench his weak ass. We should roll with Shane in the bowl game. 

You are fucking moron. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

Herman made it pretty clear last year that he doesn’t want to call plays.  Beck was a failure last year, so he had to take over this year or go 6-5 again.  Hopefully he’s bringing in Beaty to take over next year.  Just connecting the dots.

I'm sorry if this sounds ignorant, but what does bringing in Beaty do?  I mean his resume at least on the surface doesn't have the "wow" factor you do see from time to time from former HC's who go back to being Assitants after giving it a go as their own boss and failing.  

1 minute ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

I agree but our receivers were destroying their defensive backs. 

I wasn't in the stadium, so I can't be sure, but there were several pass plays where Sam had nowhere to throw. I assume the receivers were covered on those plays, but I couldn't see the whole field.

He definitely missed on too many throws. I think his shoulder injury causes him to throw too hard to make up for whatever deficiency he has.

I feel good about next year. If Georgia goes on to beat Bama, that should turn the whole bowl picture on its ear.

Just now, RomaVicta said:

I wasn't in the stadium, so I can't be sure, but there were several pass plays where Sam had nowhere to throw. I assume the receivers were covered on those plays, but I couldn't see the whole field.

He definitely missed on too many throws. I think his shoulder injury causes him to throw too hard to make up for whatever deficiency he has.

I feel good about next year. If Georgia goes on to beat Bama, that should turn the whole bowl picture on its ear.

Responding to your other post yep the safety play was on Sam.  He missed.  Another qb could see that.  If bama loses two sec teams are in and we are Alamo bound right

35 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

There’s receivers open nearly every play.  Unless Sam learns to see the whole field next year, I hate to say this, but he might need to lead from the bench.  I’m sure Herman is aware of this and does something about it.  

Sorry had to neg you for the benching Sam part. 

Edited by jdhorn92

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Hand? Beck? Herman? Shane? Beaty? Mehringer?

who the hell is calling plays? If its plays by committee, it def. fucking shows

I agree. The seemingly lack of cohesiveness is a problem. We don’t really have a play to hang our hat on either

I think he was favoring his shoulder more than anyone would admit. There were several throws that I saw where he was putting more body in it than normal.

13 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I think he was favoring his shoulder more than anyone would admit. There were several throws that I saw where he was putting more body in it than normal.

I think so too. And the fact he didn’t run much today shows that too

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I'm sorry if this sounds ignorant, but what does bringing in Beaty do?  I mean his resume at least on the surface doesn't have the "wow" factor you do see from time to time from former HC's who go back to being Assitants after giving it a go as their own boss and failing.  

Well he did score 40 on ou but mainly he can recruit in Dallas where we are sucking now 

3 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

No problem.  I said might.  But only if somebody beats him out. Who knows what we have in Rising or Thompson. We can’t keep playing only half of the field and expect to win much.

You’re saying that two dudes who’ve never taken a snap in a college football game could have a better year than Sam just had?  Of course they COULD.  But if they were that fucking good, they would have played.

We just had the best QB play we’ve had since Colt by miles, have a chance to get ALL of our playmakers back, our OL get another year Unser McKnight, and you want to change that based off of one game?  

Take fucking break dude.  Go sit by the garbage and think about what you just said.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RabidM said:

I don't think you  bring in Beatty to call plays. You bring him in to replace Warheim of Mehringer.  We need a top notch play caller and someone who can de-clutter the offensive scheme.  We have to unfuck our rushing attack.  

I have a hard time believing Beck called plays after Maryland this year. In Year 2, Herman can't be that much of a dunce to keep Beck as the play caller. To remedy the rushing attack, it's gonna be fixing the O-line and getting more quality backs - both are required.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The skinny was apparently someone got in Herman’s ear that opposing teams were basically stealing signs so to speak. That in certain down and distance situations Texas had become predictable (hence tendencies). Whether there is truth to that is above my pay grade. But Riley was sure quick to voice his displeasure with the announcement that Herman had reached out to Beatty. And hid it behind the passive aggressive remark that “well, it isn’t against the rules”. And why in my earlier post I stated that both teams appeared to being doing everything they could to not repeat a sequence they may have used previously. Which led to both teams being out of sorts to a degree. 

The skinny was apparently someone got in Herman’s ear that opposing teams were basically stealing signs so to speak. That in certain down and distance situations Texas had become predictable (hence tendencies). Whether there is truth to that is above my pay grade. But Riley was sure quick to voice his displeasure with the announcement that Herman had reached out to Beatty. And hid it behind the passive aggressive remark that “well, it isn’t against the rules”. And why in my earlier post I stated that both teams appeared to being doing everything they could to not repeat a sequence they may have used previously. Which led to both teams being out of sorts to a degree. 

Thanks. I rather have Beatty around than Greg Davis.

32 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

You’re saying that two dudes who’ve never taken a snap in a college football game could have a better year than Sam just had?  Of course they COULD.  But if they were that fucking good, they would have played.

We just had the best QB play we’ve had since Colt by miles, have a chance to get ALL of our playmakers back, our OL get another year Unser McKnight, and you want to change that based off of one game?  

Take fucking break dude.  Go sit by the garbage and think about what you just said.

So apparently in your mind Sam starts no matter what.  Cool. Hook Em.  

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

So apparently in your mind Sam starts no matter what.  Cool. Hook Em.  

There's nothing that needs to be discerned in my comment.  If Rising or Thompson somehow become football jesus in the offseason, then yeah they should starts.  Until then Sam is your QB and you should be fucking thrilled about it considering how fucking bad we've been at the position for close to a decade.

Considering how shitty your takes are, your handle is fucking is the epitome of ironic.

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

22 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

There's nothing that needs to be discerned in my comment.  If Rising or Thompson somehow become football jesus in the offseason, then yeah they should starts.  Until then Sam is your QB and you should be fucking thrilled about it considering how fucking bad we've been at the position for close to a decade.

Considering how shitty your takes are, your handle is fucking is the epitome of ironic.

This is exactly what I said. Did you even read my original post?  Sorry if I’m thinking long term.  Sams inability to read the whole field cost us this game and others.  It’s no secret that we’ve had open receivers open all season.  If Sam is the best we have next September, I’m all in.  If you can’t handle this take, stay in the mailroom and leave the heavy thinking to those of us that can.

5 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

This team needs a dominant front 7 on D. These fuckers need to get on the road and start recruiting now.

This. And it is true on the flip side. We are average on both lines right now. Until that changes we will not be elite.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Here’s the deal said:

This is exactly what I said. Did you even read my original post?  Sorry if I’m thinking long term.  Sams inability to read the whole field cost us this game and others.  It’s no secret that we’ve had open receivers open all season.  If Sam is the best we have next September, I’m all in.  If you can’t handle this take, stay in the mailroom and leave the heavy thinking to those of us that can.

Or how about you go back to lurking and accept the fact that we have one of best qb’s in the big 12.  You’re not some fucking college football wizard by stating our heisman qb candidate going into next year should sit on the bench.  Shut the fuck up.