Yeah uh, we need a real offensive coordinator

GreenspointTexas

yeah this offensive gameplan coupled with shit refs, has me wondering wtf happen, no way this shit defense, giving up billions of points improved 200% in a few days.  outside of the first drive we just sucked shit through a straw, no o line push on the run, i just dunno. i've become accustomed to this so im numb with little care. 24 points against kansas, 27 points against BLow U.  the writing was on the wall 

10 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Nope. We will lose a bunch of Seniors on defense and the left side of the OL.

We're going to struggle.

Which seniors will you actually miss? I can only think of two in Omenihu and Nelson. I think their contributions can be replicated next season.

Just now, RabidM said:

Anderson is the only one that will be hard to replace.  The other losses are below average and mediocre.  Cosmi probably moves to LT... the question is who can man RT? I'm hoping we move Okafor to OG.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see Okafor at LG. RT will have to be one of the freshmen currently redshirting.

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

How many times did we run the ball in the 2nd half?

4 or 5?

4 or 5 times too many. ou can't stop CJ or LJH. the two play calls that i had a problem with were the halfback pass on our second possession on first down. why get cute? they can't stop us. also running the ball on first down after the fumble.

Just now, jdhorn92 said:

The offense wasn’t the issue. 138 penalties yards will do any team in. Offense played good enough to win. 

I think the offense severely under-performed considering the defense we played.  Practically every team they played torched the OU defense.  Our offensive scheme needs an overhaul. 

• Like 1

This passing game coordinator and running game coordinator thing needs to be rectified. Far too many of our routes result in needing perfectly thrown balls. We don’t get much separation and when we do, for whatever reason we miss wide open receivers 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

This thread is fucking stupid.  We were incredibly better on offense this year.  Sam threw for 3000 yards against 5 fucking INTs.  Our running game was ok.  Play calling could be better but we were just fine and in every game we played because of the offense.

Nevermind the Orlan_o shit show.

I agree the offense has been a lot better. Esp they've been more physical and have run the ball better as the season has progressed. But then today we went away from that, got less physical right when we should have been being as physical as possible, didn't control the ball enough, and thus left our D and OU's offense on the field far too long.

It seems like most corches these days have just completely fucking lost sight of the concept that clock management isn't something you only do at the end of the halves. You should be doing it the entire game.

5 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

The offense wasn’t the issue. 138 penalties yards will do any team in. Offense played good enough to win. 

Not really.  OU is gonna score points. They are one of the most dynamic offenses in the last decade.  They average 50 points a game and we held them to 39.  They give up 33 per game, but we only scored 27.  Our offense under achieved against them.  

• Like 1

I think the offense severely under-performed considering the defense we played.  Practically every team they played torched the OU defense.  Our offensive scheme needs an overhaul. 

I agree 100%. Mensa needs to get out of the way and let a real OC do their work.

11 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Guess what?  We’re going to graduate players every year.  So is every team we play.  The players that will have to step in and step up have the best chance to do that if they aren’t having to learn their 50659954th offensive system since they stepped on campus.  We just had our most successful offensive and team season in close to a decade.  You’re certainly entitled to your opinion that now is the time to make coaching changes, but I don’t think you are right and I don’t think you will see them.

totally agree. 

QB is the most important position and we're returning our while ou and wv loses theirs.  don't discount running the same system for the 3rd year.  Cosmi, Shack, Kerstetter has plenty of experience and get another year under Hand.  We've got some very good talent at WR in Josh Moore, Eagles, Epps, Woodard, not counting the incoming freshman.  Keontay will be a beast next year as the feature back.  

On defense, I think we will see Foster, Sterns, Ossai take huge steps.  Anthony Cook is basically a starter.  Bimage, Graham and WIlbon have plenty of experience.  Shark will be at LB.  We still have Roach, and Jones as seniors.  I think our defense will be better next year.

3 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

We are assuming everyone is automatically going to be worse than what we had this year. I’m not saying we will be better. 

Well I'm just trying to think of a single time in history where damn near everybody on one side of the ball leaves, and it gets better. 

Not saying it can't happen but it doesn't look realistic at this point. 

Edited by BigHorn'13

14 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Which seniors will you actually miss? I can only think of two in Omenihu and Nelson. I think their contributions can be replicated next season.

It's not that I'll miss the Srs, per se... it's that we don't have quality depth rotating in now, meaning we have players who are not yet good enough. Maybe they're going to surprise me, but I don't think we've made it to "Reload" status just yet.

Tough situation. I don't like Beck's playcalling but this was the first year we finished the season with the same OC for consecutive years since 2013. Continuity matters, especially when you're trying to rebuild. I don't think Beck is going anywhere but if they can keep Beaty as an assistant who provides input into the game plan/playcalling while still running the same Beck offense, that could work.

5 minutes ago, naija said:

I'm guessing most of you haven't read The Athletic  article if you think Herman is changing things

I don't need an article to tell me things have changed since Herman has taken over.  If you don't then I don't know what you are watching or what recruits you think we aren't getting

8 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Well I'm just trying to think of a single time in history where damn near everybody on one side of the ball leaves, and it gets better. 

Not saying it can't happen but it doesn't look realistic at this point. 

We lost 7 players on defense last year. 7 that played a lot of snaps. And at least 5 were starters. 4 of which went to the nfl. We are losing at least 6 this year. So it’s really not that much different

Edited by taybo20

2 minutes ago, Juke_Em said:

Tough situation. I don't like Beck's playcalling but this was the first year we finished the season with the same OC for consecutive years since 2013. Continuity matters, especially when you're trying to rebuild. I don't think Beck is going anywhere but if they can keep Beaty as an assistant who provides input into the game plan/playcalling while still running the same Beck offense, that could work.

I don't believe Beck has called plays since the beginning of the season.  Herman has a play sheet and is talking on the headset between plays on almost every TV shot I've seen the past couple of months.  This is the Mensa show.  It's one reason our offense improved so much this year.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Exactly this.  There is a reason we blew every fucking lead in every game.  This coaching staff turns into the biggest pussies when we lead.  They become conservative and try to slow the game down.  That will not fucking work in the big 12.  This league is full of coaches that keep their fucking foot on the pedal.  Hopefully we see this change next year.  Like you said, it affects the team's mentality.  The players need to be on edge and in attack mode all game long.

35 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think your last sentence is particularly cogent.  Everything just goes to hell when we turtle.

I think we have tried to protect our tiring defense by slowing the game down in the fourth quarter. We're shallow and our guys wear out, pursue poorly, and tackle worse.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I don't need an article to tell me things have changed since Herman has taken over.  If you don't then I don't know what you are watching or what recruits you think we aren't getting

It's not about what you think, but what Herman thinks. Read the article and you will see that he thinks stability in his coordinators is a huge positive and not something to be treated lightly. From his own comments, you will understand that it isn't just coachspeak like some think when he is giving post game conferences and saying he is okay with the progress he is seeing in the offense. Just prepare yourself for disappointment if you think a new OC is on the horizon. Not saying it can't happen, but nobody should be hanging their hopes on this.

Here is an excerpt

The Longhorns are where they are today because, as all these puzzle pieces began to fit together, they figured out how to finish. They’ve played in nine close games this season, games that could have gone either way. And they’re the only Power 5 team with six wins by one-score margins.

“We’re not good enough right now to blow anybody out,” Herman said. “But we’re just good enough to beat anybody.”

He’s proud that they’re currently winning with culture, with toughness and physicality, and playing smart. And that was always the plan. Just because they went 7-6 last year, he says, didn’t mean the plan was broken. It just needed more. More buy-in and development. More time and trials. More continuity and repetition. Every member of Herman’s first staff returned for 2018. Given where this program has been, you really can’t put a price on that.

“I can’t stress enough this is the first time in five years that Texas has had the same offensive system in back-to-back years,” Herman said. “I mean, why did Sam Ehlinger get so much better? Well, he knows the offense that much better. Why did the run game get better? Well, we’ve been running the same thing over and over and over again.”

That's not a man looking to shake up too much. Clearly that OC would have to run something close to what we have now

Edited by naija

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

We lost 7 players on defense last year. 7 that played a lot of snaps. And at least 5 were starters. 4 of which went to the nfl. We are losing at least 6 this year. So it’s really not that much different

And the defense fell off tremendously from last year to this year... I would like that to not be the trend.

Just now, Snacks said:

And the defense fell off tremendously from last year to this year... I would like that to not be the trend.

How many legit  NFLguys are leaving this year? I mean at least 2 of the players, everyone thinks sucks in Hager and Wheeler. And some even hate Boyd. 

2 minutes ago, naija said:

It's not about what you think, but what Herman thinks. Read the article and you will see that he clearly thinks stability in his coordinators is a huge positive and not something to be treated likely. From his own comments, you will understand that it isn't just coachspeak like some think when he is giving post game conferences and saying he is okay with the progress he is seeing in the offense. Just prepare yourself for disappointment if you think a new OC is on the horizon. Not saying it can't happen, but nobody should be hanging their hopes on this.

Here is an excerpt

That's not a man looking to shake up too much. Clearly that OC would have to run something close to what we have now

I'm a cheap fuck... Probably should subscribe. I'm ok with similar oc calls as what we saw today

52 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Herman needs to learn he isn't in the big 10 any more you can't go up by to two scores and then fucking turtle and still win. You have to keep moving the ball how many fucking  collapses have we seen this year because we get way to conservative and let the other team get back in. And this mentality infects the team and leads to them playing lazy when we have a lead and it causes problems.

Been saying this for two years now. Plus 10 yarder lobs over shrimp DBs to LJH and CJ could not have been stopped  Love coaches who take what opponents give you. Just continue what works

36 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Sam missed 14 points to DD. He hits those two and take away the S and we win. Wholesale changes are not needed on O. All we’ve done is change.  Continuity is key. The O will be fine.  We had a winnable O today. There is always things we could have done here and there but changing Oc is not one of them. 

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Sam missed 14 points to DD. He hits those two and take away the S and we win. Wholesale changes are not needed on O. All we’ve done is change.  Continuity is key. The O will be fine.  We had a winnable O today. There is always things we could have done here and there but changing Oc is not one of them. 

There’s receivers open nearly every play.  Unless Sam learns to see the whole field next year, I hate to say this, but he might need to lead from the bench.  I’m sure Herman is aware of this and does something about it.  

• Fuck You 2