Can we please get a legitimate playoff?

Hamttx

After watching yet another episode of College Football Final. Featuring that dumb ass Palmer and Puppet using their fancy board to post their take on the top 5 teams. I felt compelled to ask a simple question.

What was the real reason logic didn’t prevail and simply take conference champions and say, an at large bid? Money, pride, TV demanding good match up rating numbers? Who would want to watch Ol Miss, Wisconsin, Utah, Okie lite, Wake Forest, and Boise State right? 

Taking the conference champs and an at large would leave an opening for either ND should they run their schedule, and not piss them off. Or provide what could be the occasional Cinderella team out of the other schools like a UCF?

Instead we have invented a new phrase, these fuckers can’t use enough....“the eye test”, which is nothing more then a euphemism for, man I really like these fuckers and the ratings would be awesome. Plus I think they should be in the mix. And I don’t care if they just lost, and can’t win their conference they looked really good doing it.

For more then a century the subjectivity of the sport was actually part of the fun. And losing late was a season killer. Then the money got bigger and we got bowl tie ins. But that still allowed ambiguity in the ranks. And when a few select schools didn’t like those results we got the BCS. Which began the current corruption. And resulted in the bullshit we have now.

I don’t have to remind any of you of the obvious shit. But one thing should be pointed out. Absolutely no one doubts the talent level of a Alabama. You watch them play and you can see it. But one doesn’t have to look any farther back then last year, where they failed to not only win their division, but the conference as well. However because of the “eye test” their loss to Auburn was largely meaningless. And if anything it allowed them not only a mulligan but time to heal, and extend their preparation for the four team playoff. One of which was a team from their own fucking conference they should of had to deal with in the first fucking place. 

I get that the SEC is the greatest and can beat several NFL teams. Shit I won’t even bother to argue that shit anymore as no one really cares. But the fact that we have a fucking committee going behind closed doors (no chance of impropriety there) and arbitrarily selecting the four schools without a reviewable data set is pretty laughable. In place of measurable data we get instead “their body of work” or the “eye test” bullshit.

And lastly it still allows the mighty SEC to win every year. Because fuck it they do anyway. But the team that does do that will also be able to call themselves conference champion. Something last years champ can’t even fucking do. And it equally applies pressure to every member of every conference that to get in just win.

Because, you know. It’s football, and sometimes really fucked up shit happens regardless of the “eye test”. Sometimes, on occasion, once in a blue moon, the favorite doesn’t fucking win.

Fuck it, I’m done...

• Like 3

I’ve posted it before and I know it’ll never happen, but we do it backwards. There should be an objective measure of what qualifies for the postseason (ELO, achievements, I don’t care) that is known prior to the season. Every/only teams that qualify makes the playoff. If you set your measure correctly you’ll get about 4 teams most years but you could get more or two or one or get none. A two loss LSU isn’t a champion, they just won the last game.

4 minutes ago, Mole said:

I’ve posted it before and I know it’ll never happen, but we do it backwards. There should be an objective measure of what qualifies for the postseason (ELO, achievements, I don’t care) that is known prior to the season. Every/only teams that qualify makes the playoff. If you set your measure correctly you’ll get about 4 teams most years but you could get more or two or one or get none. A two loss LSU isn’t a champion, they just won the last game.

Ummm wut? How the fuck does this work? This isn't a video game. These sports have network contracts and exact dates on which these playoff games will be aired. On which channel and at what time. How in the world can you play a season and not even know how many playoff teams you are having until the end? Don't think a sport exists in this manner. 

It should be pretty fucking simple like every other sport we have does it. Division (in this case, conference) winners get automatic bids. No questions asked. Don't care if one conference is shitty, they get in. College football is a regional sport. Winning your conference should be the #1 priority for any team. But with this goofy "playoff" format, it isn't. It is a dick measuring contest with the other conferences to see if you measure up. This doesn't happen in the NFL or pro sports in general. Why? Because as long as you win your division, you get in. Then figure out how you measure up come playoff time. If they did this, all this SEC talk goes away. Because we don't care how we stack up with them right now. But you have to look over your shoulder because you know one conference gets preferential treatment and not every conference gets in. It's pathetic.

All P5 conference winners are seeded 1-5. 3 at large bids. 8 team playoff. Every single year. Hell go to 16 if you want. But this BCS/4 team playoff is criminal.

But college football fans are brainwashed by this notion that the regular season should count more than the postseason. And it will take away from the pageantry and how unique it is. Fuck that. College football is nothing more than a figure skating contest right now with subjective judges that add controversy. They know there is no controversy with a standard playoff because judges won't come into play since it is settled on the field. So we get what we have now.

• Like 3

We’ll spend the next month arguing about the 4th and 5th best teams in the country. If they are both deserving of a shot then they should get it. If neither are deserving of a shot then neither should get it.

And I recognize that it’ll never happen, but it’s the best way.

Edited by Mole

5 hours ago, Mole said:

We’ll spend the next month arguing about the 4th and 5th best teams in the country. If they are both deserving of a shot then they should get it. If neither are deserving of a shot then neither should get it.

And I recognize that it’ll never happen, but it’s the best way.

ESPN is more concerned with the controversy than actually getting an expanded system of a (16 team, ect.) playoff...
We might have to wait until the CFP come up for bid again, and hope that an entity as Amazon looks to buy the rights, Amazon would want more teams included (I think)...

5 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

You're the first person to ever come up with this..what did you call it a playoff system? How novel,  do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

Damn Mike, I read your responses all the time. And they always appear well thought out. But, in this case I believe you may have missed my point. I wasn’t advocating any particular system as much as I was simply throwing something out calling for fair play. I’m open to anything, even going back to the old bowl tie ins if need be, rather then this slight of hand shit.

And a disclaimer: I like Pappy very, very much. And probably shouldn’t start a thread at 1:00 am after consuming it.

ESPN is more concerned with the controversy than actually getting an expanded system of a (16 team, ect.) playoff...

Exactly. There is absolutely no valid reason for the “committee” to release its “poll” until after the last game is played, and no reason for them to go past #4. Oh yeah, it creates a “need” for multiple tv shows and fills the air with 100’s of hours of needless conversation
  • Like 1

Agree with Vic. I would re-district back to six conferences, each with a championship game - effective round of 16. Then have six champions plus two at-large (either independents or best runners-up from  conferences). First round occurs at top seed home field the week of Army-Navy. Then you have four teams to slide into the current calendar.

I could deal with the current format if they would do away with the stupid ass committee and go back to something similar to the bcs model. The committee is a bunch of goal post moving mother fuckers. They also need to do away with all rankings until about halfway through the season.

The problem is it's called "playoffs" when it clearly should be called "playons".  Because the teams that win play on.  I mean, why "offs".  That's like SOOOO negative.  How much cooler would it be to say to your team "We're going to the playons!!!!!"  It completely redefines and restructures college football for the better.

Make that change, and every single problem with college football will be solved permanently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I look forward to the day where internet posters lay out their desired version of a college football playoff design in intense detail.  Then it'd be nice if one of them pointed out that basketball, baseball and even hockey do it.  With the vastness of the internet it's unbelievable that nobody has done this yet. 

Just now, Chooky said:

I look forward to the day where internet posters lay out their desired version of a college football playoff design in intense detail.  Then it'd be nice if one of them pointed out that basketball, baseball and even hockey do it.  With the vastness of the internet it's unbelievable that nobody has done this yet. 

You don't even need to go to other sports. The lower divisions of college football don't do a shit ass bowl system. They do a real playoffs. And actually, I enjoy watching FCS level playoff games than the countless shitty bowl games we get in FBS. I used to roll my nose at those because it wasn't FBS but over the years it has grown on me. How anyone can watch these glorified scrimmages called bowl games besides the one Texas is in and a few others is beyond me. The same tired argument is always "any football at this time of year is good football". In theory, yes. In reality, no. Those games are played in front a sparse crowd with zero energy. Many in massive stadiums with no personality. And a lot of these teams have zero desire to even be there. It's gotten worse over the years with the creation of countless bowl games. It's watered down beyond belief now. How many bowls have they added in the last 20 years? 15? Bowl eligible means nada now.

FBS college football is the only sport I know of that has their postseason set up the way it is and their fans are brainwashed enough to accept this.

What needs to happen is shrink the college football season to 11 games. 9 conference games and 2 OOC. I would want to shrink it to 10 and all of them are conference but college football is regional and built on history and rivalries. So you want to keep those as a lot of them are OOC games. And the OOC games can not be against any lower level teams (looking at you SEC). Honestly, P5 should only play P5 but with saying that, then you might as well let the G5 conferences split off and create their own division and have their own rules and postseason. That would be the best thing. What is the point of a G5 school competing in a level of football that is only designed for P5 schools? It isn't fair.

As said before, as long as The Mouse is running the show, it will always be a controversy & money driven proposition. 
latest?cb=20140228232552
Truf.

But the Mouse is missing a bet and a shitton of money by keeping it at 4. Just like with Disney Cruise Lines only having 2 ships for years and the 4 ships. Missing out on a shitton of money cause they only got 4 ships. They put up some sailings from N.O. the other day and they sold out in an hour. Big bucks no whammys.

A real playoff of 16 teams would make a goddamn fuckton of money. For the rat and for the schools. First game would be at the home staduim of the higher seeded school. Rest would be bowl games. Money money money. Could still have the nonplayoff bowls for teams 17 and down.

Fools are missing out. Would make march madness look small in comparison.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

5 conference champions and 3 at large is the most logical, the simplest, the fairest... everything the current and previous systems are not. Which means it has no chance in hell of being adopted.

Make Notre Dame join a fucking conference if they want to play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

Let's just give everyone trophies at the end of the year.

So rewarding conference champions with a playoff spot and 3 other teams is rewarding everyone with a trophy? Yeah that would be the lame ass bowl system we have set up. Hey you won 6 games, come to a pointless scrimmage no one gives a shit about except family members of the players and gamblers. Heaven forbid you create a legit playoff like every other sport in the world.

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Or let the bowls play out as before and add an extra game at the end to play 1 vs. 2.

I miss the days when bowls had meaning.

Bowls never had meaning. It was man-made mythology the entire time. I'm sorry, but what you were witnessing on January 1st all those years was just a series of fairy tales.

30 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

So rewarding conference champions with a playoff spot and 3 other teams is rewarding everyone with a trophy? Yeah that would be the lame ass bowl system we have set up. Hey you won 6 games, come to a pointless scrimmage no one gives a shit about except family members of the players and gamblers. Heaven forbid you create a legit playoff like every other sport in the world.

Dang everyone is bound up today, it was a joke!

giphy.gif