The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing

tantric superman

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Mack was leading one of the best teams in the nation for a decade, before he rested on his laurels.  The state of Texas is an economic powerhouse no matter how much some of its policies hurt your feels.  If you don’t think that can be stymied by the wrong leadership, I don’t know what to tell you.

Strong was a charismatic guy who had no real chops. Lots of hoping he could reenergize and bring something new in.  

Dude, if you are comfortable with Hot Wheels I respect your opinion.  But, it is my opinion that he is an abject failure in addition to me not agreeing with anything he says.  We are nearly at the bottom of every metric and our property tax system more than makes up for the fact that  we don't have an income tax.  You really think Abbott, Patrick, Paxton et al are really guys you should be putting your trust in?  Sounds like those people who admit Trump is a terrible person "but I like his policies".

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Why do I give a solitary fuck about trump? And while this is stock market specific, it should extend to pols and the real estate deals they pave for their in laws.  At least we have an example where Beto falls on that one. 

Because you voted for him.  Defend your vote.

5 minutes ago, tigol said:

Defend your vote.

Use your words.

I did.  But let me try another way. When I vote, I look at what I feel will impact me and my family’s life either for the better, or less for the worse.  I don’t think about you, or what affects it has on your life, for an instant. If the things we care about align, great. If they don’t, well, them’s the breaks I suppose.  You win some, you lose some.  Yay 2 party system. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I did.  But let me try another way. When I vote, I look at what I feel will impact me and my family’s life either for the better, or less for the worse.  I don’t think about you, or what affects it has on your life, for an instant. If the things we care about align, great. If they don’t, well, them’s the breaks I suppose.  You win some, you lose some.  Yay 2 party system. 

Modern Christianity on display.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

In essence the prosperity gospel.  Not saying it's not human nature to think about those things.  It is.  But, most who aren't knuckle draggers at least consider policies that align with their view of the common good.  The failings in our society have an impact on you whether you are able to comprehend it or not.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

And again, if you think that your voting habits have a chance in hell of leading to a better future for your children, then you're purposely not paying attention.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, CTC2 said:

In essence the prosperity gospel.  Not saying it's not human nature to think about those things.  It is.  But, most who aren't knuckle draggers at least consider policies that align with their view of the common good.  The failings in our society have an impact on you whether you are able to comprehend it or not.

Sure. But they’re way down the list, and no one is winning (politically) enough to be worried that far down the list. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

No, my issue is that we have no idea who or what is coming through our border. 

Do we ever, really?

There are a lot of people at our border now because they hope Biden will be easier than Trump.  Trump, through cruel and inhumane practices, actually did deter people from showing up at the border.  If you're anti-immigration, that's good I guess, but do the ends justify the means?

With that number of people at the border, it's difficult to screen/process them and more and more will illegally cross without detection.

But people always cross illegally without detection.  It's just a fact of life.  And don't give me any of the "wall" bs.

Historically, drugs mostly pass through border checkpoints as part of ostensibly legal shipments or border crossings, not in the backpacks of illegals.  But that seems to be changing a bit with fentanyl, probably because it is so low volume and cheap that the cartels can afford to lose a bit here and there.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Do we ever, really?

There are a lot of people at our border now because they hope Biden will be easier than Trump.  Trump, through cruel and inhumane practices, actually did deter people from showing up at the border.  If you're anti-immigration, that's good I guess, but do the ends justify the means?

With that number of people at the border, it's difficult to screen/process them and more and more will illegally cross without detection.

But people always cross illegally without detection.  It's just a fact of life.  And don't give me any of the "wall" bs.

Historically, drugs mostly pass through border checkpoints as part of ostensibly legal shipments or border crossings, not in the backpacks of illegals.  But that seems to be changing a bit with fentanyl, probably because it is so low volume and cheap that the cartels can afford to lose a bit here and there.

Immigration is the life blood for any thriving nation, being against that is plain stupid. My wife and I went out last night and our Uber driver was from Russia. It was a fun conversation and one of the reasons I love Texas is that you meet people from all over the world. She was extremely excited to vote Republican in the midterms, I was definitely not expecting that.

Remain in Mexico and Title 42 were a large part of Trump’s success. Reversing those two policies was one of the more dumb political decisions in recent memory. It’s a huge reason he’s polling so low on the issue. 

• Fuck You 2

13 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Voting what’s best for your family is selfish. You should take food off your children’s plate and give it to others you animal! 

• Fuck You 1

Beto should just focus on the following:

• Abortion rights (this will do nothing but bring more women to his side)
  • power grid and resulting higher prices (everyone knows Abbott screwed this up even if they can't say it)
  • school safety (protect schools, mandate training for police/safety depts, reasonable ideas that everyone knows is right)
  • Call Abbott a liar

And always have short answers. Many people don't want to hear a lecture.

EDIT: If I were Beto, I would avoid border security talk as much as possible. The (many) voters, that have border security as their top issue, are never not going to vote for Abbott. He can ignore the issue or question but don't try to appeal to people that only want walls, cages and more guns.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

What is one policy supported by the modern day GOP that you think would make the world a better place for your children? Fair voting rights in a strong Democracy? An environment that doesn't have a flame thrower applied to it? Women's rights? Minority rights? Acceptance and compassion? Facts over conspiracies and fear? Man, there's so many to choose from.

The GOP's campaign slogan may as well be "Fuck the future. Get yours now." And they wear that like a badge of honor. They don't give a shit about your kids.

All of my money has come and will come from O&G. Voting for the party that wants kill that industry would be incredibly stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

All of my money has come and will come from O&G. Voting for the party that wants kill that industry would be incredibly stupid. 

1) That's fine. Just stop pretending that your vote is about your kids or their future. Because it's not.

1) They're not trying to "kill" the industry. They're trying to figure out a transition to our inevitable future that doesn't expedite global warming any more than it already is. Guessing you were one of the jag offs that had an oh-so-clever remark when California announced no new all-gas vehicles in a decade. Damn them for trying!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

1) That's fine. Just stop pretending that your vote is about your kids or their future. Because it's not.

1) They're not trying to "kill" the industry. They're trying to figure out a transition to our inevitable future that doesn't expedite global warming any more than it already is. Guessing you were one of the jag offs that had an oh-so-clever remark when California announced no new all-gas vehicles in a decade. Damn them for trying!

We’ve been very fortunate, so my kid’s future is set. I have family in California and used to summer there, so I have a fondness that many here don’t have. I just rolled my eyes because it’s not going to happen. 

• Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

@Poe It Up Why won't you own that you're okay with kids in cages? You said Trump's immigration policies were one of his wins, one of the reasons you support Republicans. Fucking own it, fascist 

No, I said that’s why he was successful. Kids in cages isn’t a necessary component of either of those policies, so I’m hoping Ronnie reinstates then in a couple years. 

• Fuck You 3

20 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

We’ve been very fortunate, so my kid’s future is set.

Your kids' future extends beyond 22 years old. Unless you plan to pay their way through life to shelter them from the societal decay that you eagerly helped exacerbate.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Your kids' future extends beyond 22 years old. Unless you plan to pay their way through life to shelter them from the societal decay that you eagerly helped exacerbate.

I don’t want them to be burdened with school loans or any unforeseen medical issues either. That sort of comfort is priceless. 

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I don’t want them to be burdened with school loans or any unforeseen medical issues either. That sort of comfort is priceless. 

If only there was something we could do as a nation to ensure that for everyone's kids...

Selfish cunt 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I don’t want them to be burdened with school loans

That's no longer a thing.  You will, of course, be burdened with paying others' loans.

1 hour ago, trauma babe said:

@Poe It Up Why won't you own that you're okay with kids in cages? You said Trump's immigration policies were one of his wins, one of the reasons you support Republicans. Fucking own it, fascist 

President's continue the policies and procedures of their predecessors all the time.  You do remember Obama locking kids in cages, no?   If not, I've got some news for you. 

3 hours ago, trauma babe said:

Fatty is just whistling his way to being turned away at the gates by St. Peter

Like 10,000 spoons, when all you need is a knife. 

• Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing