The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing

tantric superman

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Many people need someone to look down upon. And if the people below you are receiving “free” then pretty soon that person will have more than me.

The Right is also consumed by hypothetical fairness but if you point it back at them for any reason, you’re dismissed. Welfare recipient accidentally or intentionally lies to get more benefits, let’s ban them from benefits for life.  Brett Favre takes welfare money, then let’s give him an opportunity to pay it back, or can’t we just forget about it.

They’d probably give Brett Favre a high five for being “smart” and “gaming the system” despite poor people or illegals doing the same thing. Republicans love rich people and hate poor people. They automatically assume everyone whose rich worked hard and earned it. They don’t really believe in things like luck or good timing, or just being in the right place at the right time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voldemort86 said:

They’d probably give Brett Favre a high five for being “smart” and “gaming the system” despite poor people or illegals doing the same thing. Republicans love rich people and hate poor people. They automatically assume everyone whose rich worked hard and earned it. They don’t really believe in things like luck or good timing, or just being in the right place at the right time. 

youknow-you.gif

7 hours ago, Humble Beast said:

You and all the other CRers are discounting the awareness of drug trafficking going on. You act like everybody coming across is some refugee looking for help but it’s not true. I think it’s will end up being overplayed a bit, but fentanyl is a thing. A growing problem. Locally 4-5 kids OD’d and died in Buda Hays in the last 6 months. If you think that the drug business isn’t enabled a Federal govt and WH that doesn’t really seem TGAF about the border then I don’t know what to tell you. Mom in Frisco has heard of this and knows Ds don’t really care about the border. Also that Beto was adamant about defunding the police. I mean we have a violent drug pseudo state on our border and one candidate talked about defunding the police. Asinine.  

I’m not even saying it can be stopped. But the message is so off to act like there’s nothing there. I’ve encountered it here repeatedly. 

It's also possible the fentanyl didn't even cross the border. Kids are going to find and do drugs, and sometimes a bad batch will affect a localized area. What I find remarkable is how some kids are so addicted and so unable to get the help they need that even in a suburban community where one teen had already died the second, third, and fourth teens disregarded the risks and still bought those drugs and took the drugs that eventually killed them. The real story seems to be a lack of resources to handle addiction. And I suppose none of these parents or teachers know how to use narcan, which doesn't help either.

The idea that temporarily legalized Venezuelan refugees are bringing fentanyl with them as they cross makes no sense and these vile republicans know that.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Humble Beast said:

If you think that the drug business isn’t enabled a Federal govt and WH that doesn’t really seem TGAF about the border then I don’t know what to tell you. Mom in Frisco has heard of this and knows Ds don’t really care about the border. Also that Beto was adamant about defunding the police. I mean we have a violent drug pseudo state on our border and one candidate talked about defunding the police. Asinine.  

All of this is wrong.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

You and all the other CRers are discounting the awareness of drug trafficking going on. You act like everybody coming across is some refugee looking for help but it’s not true. I think it’s will end up being overplayed a bit, but fentanyl is a thing. A growing problem. Locally 4-5 kids OD’d and died in Buda Hays in the last 6 months. If you think that the drug business isn’t enabled a Federal govt and WH that doesn’t really seem TGAF about the border then I don’t know what to tell you. Mom in Frisco has heard of this and knows Ds don’t really care about the border. Also that Beto was adamant about defunding the police. I mean we have a violent drug pseudo state on our border and one candidate talked about defunding the police. Asinine.  

I’m not even saying it can be stopped. But the message is so off to act like there’s nothing there. I’ve encountered it here repeatedly. 

Guns don't kill people; fentanyl kills people.

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

The idea that temporarily legalized Venezuelan refugees are bringing fentanyl with them to spike your kids Halloween candy as they cross makes no sense and these vile republicans know that.

fify

• Hook 'Em 1

For sure, I know of 3 students in our area that have overdosed and parents are freaking out. I believe it was laced Xanax. 

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

For sure, I know of 3 students in our area that have overdosed and parents are freaking out. I believe it was laced Xanax. 

So the most likely theory is that brown people are bringing fentanyl into the country to murder the children?  Is that what the thought process is?

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

He’s a highly educated man who’s paid to talk.  If that’s “what he means”, why can he not articulate that? 

He did. Read the full quote. Should he have known the dipshits like you and Abbott were only going to lift 3 words from it? Yeah, probably.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

So the most likely theory is that brown people are bringing fentanyl into the country to murder the children?  Is that what the thought process is?

Fentanyl is definitely coming from Mexico, most likely from China. I always assumed drug dealers wanted repeat customers, though. Killing your customers seems like bad business. 

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Fentanyl is definitely coming from Mexico, most likely from China. I always assumed drug dealers wanted repeat customers, though. Killing your customers seems like bad business. 

What does this have to do with Beto exactly?  Is your opinion that if he is in office this fentanyl issue will happen way more so people should vote for the guy who currently has held the office for years since he has done such a good job of stopping this huge issue?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

My so…rule applies again here. 

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

What does this have to do with Beto exactly?  Is your opinion that if he is in office this fentanyl issue will happen way more so people should vote for the guy who currently has held the office for years since he has done such a good job of stopping this huge issue?

The number one issue in the Houston Gov poll was immigration.

It was stated here that the only logical reason Texans would be concerned about illegal immigration is racism.

The fact is we share a porous border with a narco state. Being concerned about the insecurity there is reasonable. Are the border areas that are moving more red becoming racist? No. 

• Fuck You 4

4 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

My so…rule applies again here. 

The number one issue in the Houston Gov poll was immigration.

It was stated here that the only logical reason Texans would be concerned about illegal immigration is racism.

The fact is we share a porous border with a narco state. Being concerned about the insecurity there is reasonable. Are the border areas that are moving more red becoming racist? No. 

Ok. So the current guy in charge of this state has done such a great job of fixing this huge problem so he should be re elected?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I feel for Beto in this situation because he’s trying to thread the needle between being tough on the border while not alienating the open borders wing of his party. In all likelihood he’ll end up pleasing none of them in the long run. The concern is that his inexperience makes him more prone to listening to the wrong people. So sure, it could definitely get worse. 

• Fuck You 9

Just now, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Ok. So the current guy in charge of this state has done such a great job of fixing this huge problem so he should be re elected?  

"He at least takes it seriously by [checks notes] bussing people who have absolutely nothing to do with the drug trade to Washington DC to own the libs!"

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

I feel for Beto in this situation because he’s trying to thread the needle between being tough on the border while not alienating the open borders wing of his party. In all likelihood he’ll end up pleasing none of them in the long run. The concern is that his inexperience makes him more prone to listening to the wrong people. So sure, it could definitely get worse. 

There is no such thing as an open borders wing of the Democratic Party.  That’s a lie.  Maybe a few people want that but your Fox News talking point is bullshit.  Most of the Democratic Party is for sensible immigration laws not full open borders.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Humble Beast said:

Like it or not, one party is seen as taking border security more seriously. 

By whom?  Republicans that watch Fox News and listen to right wing media.  If you look at the actual track record, Biden has done more to protect the border than Trump did.  It’s still an issue but I’m sure once Abbott is re-elected he will fix it finally.

1 minute ago, Humble Beast said:

And that's helped how, exactly? Again, almost all of the drugs cross through border stations. So what's their plan? Focusing (even harder) on migrants walking across ain't going to do shit.

He’ll win. Hope and change is his message, and it’s obviously worked before.   

I’ll bet you cash money Abbott wins by 7 points or better. Generic Repub wins every race in this state by 7 minimum. Abbott has pros and cons that put him right there at the generic. Cruz and Paxton have negatives that put them in the 3 point win range.

14 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

11 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

There is no such thing as an open borders wing of the Democratic Party.  That’s a lie.  Maybe a few people want that but your Fox News talking point is bullshit.  Most of the Democratic Party is for sensible immigration laws not full open borders.

Exactly. You won’t find many democrats that want open borders. Most democrats want to be compassionate with people fleeing oppressive govt or lives. And democrats want a program to allow workers into the country emphasizing the importance of documentation.

And finally if the “open” borders under Biden have led to fentanyl usage and deaths, how does the Right explain the trump and Abbott watches on the border?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Who are these people?  I've never met one, nor heard anyone saying this anywhere.

There was one that posted here, bad teammate I believe. What happened to that guy anyway? 

14 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

That term is somewhat subjective to be sure, but overturning Title 42 wasn’t sensible. Hell, today we broke the record for migrant encounters with 2 million…. in September. It was a predictable disaster and Biden has done Beto no favors here. We’ll see if he can thread the needle here somehow. 

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’ll bet you cash money Abbott wins by 7 points or better. Generic Repub wins every race in this state by 7 minimum. Abbott has pros and cons that put him right there at the generic. Cruz and Paxton have negatives that put them in the 3 point win range.

I don’t think so, not this time.  A lot of pissed off women.  Abbott broke off too far right to fight with the troll, and didn’t come back to center quick enough. Stayed maga, lost center.  He needs a swath of center to win. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t think so, not this time.  A lot of pissed off women.  Abbott broke off too far right to fight with the troll, and didn’t come back to center quick enough. Stayed maga, lost center.  He needs a swath of center to win. 

Naaah.   I sense a friendly wager.  7 points is the over/under, I'm betting the over.

He did. Read the full quote. Should he have known the dipshits like you and Abbott were only going to lift 3 words from it? Yeah, probably.

The second deceptive edit deleted key words to make it sound like O’Rourke had called for “dismantling” police departments, end of story. He had actually called for dismantling “and rebuilding” departments in “some necessary cases.”

The third deceptive edit was especially egregious. This one mashed together phrases from three different O’Rourke sentences. The stitch job made it sound like an O’Rourke comment about the importance of Black Lives Matter activism, and how it is part of a tradition of civil rights activism, was a comment about the importance of defunding the police and dismantling police departments.

For emotional effect, the ad juxtaposed O’Rourke’s altered words with a series of video clips of rioting and looting.

The Abbott campaign’s edits are extra notable because O’Rourke’s actual, unedited comments in the June 2020 interview gave Republicans ample attack ammunition. Other O’Rourke opponents have highlighted his words about policing without altering them.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/23/politics/fact-check-abbott-ad-orourke-defund-police/index.html

Ah, so the idea is to keep the known guy instead of trying something new. I mean the current guy has fundraising parties just after kids are murdered at school, Texans freeze and die, and we do nothing to prevent it from happening and ignored the reports that it could happen. We have a dipshit that is presiding over the decline in health of the state, increase in mortality for women, and we do nothing. We cry about fiscal responsibility and then spend 12 million to bus 50 people. We get injured and get a massive settlement and then we make it harder for others to do the same.

I mean, who doesn’t want more failures like this? I mean, Beto might let some kid read a book with the S word in it! We want our kids using books for body armor, not reading them.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Ah, so the idea is to keep the known guy instead of trying something new. I mean the current guy has fundraising parties just after kids are murdered at school, Texans freeze and die, and we do nothing to prevent it from happening and ignored the reports that it could happen. We have a dipshit that is presiding over the decline in health of the state, increase in mortality for women, and we do nothing. We cry about fiscal responsibility and then spend 12 million to bus 50 people. We get injured and get a massive settlement and then we make it harder for others to do the same.

I mean, who doesn’t want more failures like this? I mean, Beto might let some kid read a book with the S word in it! We want our kids using books for body armor, not reading them.

So, you DO understand how it works.  GQP voters do not believe in holding their elected officials or party responsible or accountable...AT ALL.  That's why they engage in the "fooling yourself" exercise of blaming Dems for everything bad in this state, even though the GQP has had complete and total control for well over a generation.  They might as well be blaming shit on the Whigs, but that's what they have to do to continue to believe the lies they tell themselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

The second deceptive edit deleted key words to make it sound like O’Rourke had called for “dismantling” police departments, end of story. He had actually called for dismantling “and rebuilding” departments in “some necessary cases.”

The third deceptive edit was especially egregious. This one mashed together phrases from three different O’Rourke sentences. The stitch job made it sound like an O’Rourke comment about the importance of Black Lives Matter activism, and how it is part of a tradition of civil rights activism, was a comment about the importance of defunding the police and dismantling police departments.

For emotional effect, the ad juxtaposed O’Rourke’s altered words with a series of video clips of rioting and looting.

The Abbott campaign’s edits are extra notable because O’Rourke’s actual, unedited comments in the June 2020 interview gave Republicans ample attack ammunition. Other O’Rourke opponents have highlighted his words about policing without altering them.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/23/politics/fact-check-abbott-ad-orourke-defund-police/index.html

This is why Beto loses. He talks to people like they are humans.

The right wants a strongman dictator, they are wired to be subservient. They cannot fathom that a strongman is actually the one that listens to others instead of just being a blowhard.

The only way to appeal to them is to use the same tactics. Nasty commercials that show the truth. How about an ad where kids are being shot up. Churches being shot up. This is what happened under Greg Abbotts watch. If you are ok with this vote for Greg Abbott.

It’s cold as fuck.
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Nivek said:

While Beto could come in and change things for the better, the last ten years of watching Texas football has taught me things can get much worse. He’s a complete unknown and I understand the voter’s reluctance here. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 5
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

Fentanyl is legal. It's a controlled substance, but it can be prescribed and there are legitimate reasons for it to be manufactured. If there are illegal manufacturers of the drug, it would be far riskier for that to be going on in China, where those responsible would be eligible for the death penalty. In North America, where the Sacklers managed to avoid any significant punishment for their role in the opioid crisis, it's not necessarily easy but it's less risky all things considered. Hell the manufacturing could even be going on in Eastern Europe for all we know.

Although many drugs are smuggled across the Mexican border, it's also true that many cross the far larger and less guarded Canadian border. And as another poster has pointed out, the majority of the drugs are smuggled in with or as legit shipments. The main point is that refugees are not responsible for Johnny Xanax at Westlake getting his hands on fentanyl.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

I'll go ahead and neg this as a lie. The open borders "wing" is an invention that you or somebody like you supports with "well, there's this one guy."

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Who are these people?  I've never met one, nor heard anyone saying this anywhere.

Concise. 

1 hour ago, Humble Beast said:

I'm not sure how to interpret the intent of this. Like it or not, people believe our lies about the Democratic Party. Seems like a boast about the effectiveness of dishonesty. Negged.

20 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Nice run down of how liars lie, TexPx. It's also blueprint for persons willing to take lies and try to build arguments which is actually more despicable than trying to bend facts to sophistry.

Hi, I'm RomaVicta, I vote Dem. 

You're a socialist, reverse-racist, woke, criminal coddler who wants open borders and encourages grooming of children by homosexuals.

That's not true. None of it is except for maybe "woke." If that's true, I'm proud of it.

Well, we've convinced people otherwise by a stream of lies and fear mongering. Let's proceed with our discussion based on that perception rather than anything based in reality. I'll start. You hate America.

I like the responses on this thread to this amateur political operate campaign. The falsehoods have been ably refuted. Yet, they never really go away. They retire to their dark places of origin and fester themselves into new versions to feed degenerate brains of willing liars.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'll go ahead and neg this as a lie. The open borders "wing" is an invention that you or somebody like you supports with "well, there's this one guy."

Concise. 

I'm not sure how to interpret the intent of this. Like it or not, people believe our lies about the Democratic Party. Seems like a boast about the effectiveness of dishonesty. Negged.

Nice run down of how liars lie, TexPx. It's also blueprint for persons willing to take lies and try to build arguments which is actually more despicable than trying to bend facts to sophistry.

Hi, I'm RomaVicta, I vote Dem. 

You're a socialist, reverse-racist, woke, criminal coddler who wants open borders and encourages grooming of children by homosexuals.

That's not true. None of it is except for maybe "woke." If that's true, I'm proud of it.

Well, we've convinced people otherwise by a stream of lies and fear mongering. Let's proceed with our discussion based on that perception rather than anything based in reality. I'll start. You hate America.

I like the responses on this thread to this amateur political operate campaign. The falsehoods have been ably refuted. Yet, they never really go away. They retire to their dark places of origin and fester themselves into new versions to feed degenerate brains of willing liars.

This is what's so frustrating. When you have to spend an hour defining reality before you can even have a conversation with them, you've already lost. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Oh, there is a great article in Atlantic about the policies that led to taking children. I'm not finished yet, but it has grabbed me. It's not schmaltz about sad kids, it tracks the path to this horrible place from the creation of the Dept. of  Homeland Security to the Border Patrol-created policy of using a little known criminal statute that makes a second attempt at entry a felony. It even changed the way the BP trains. 

spacer.png

There are, of course, some stories to illustrate what happens, but it's not the sad-voiced NPR focus on the human side of a story which gets tiresome to me. I'll take the big view of the story, please.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Fentanyl is legal. It's a controlled substance, but it can be prescribed and there are legitimate reasons for it to be manufactured. If there are illegal manufacturers of the drug, it would be far riskier for that to be going on in China, where those responsible would be eligible for the death penalty. In North America, where the Sacklers managed to avoid any significant punishment for their role in the opioid crisis, it's not necessarily easy but it's less risky all things considered. Hell the manufacturing could even be going on in Eastern Europe for all we know.

Although many drugs are smuggled across the Mexican border, it's also true that many cross the far larger and less guarded Canadian border. And as another poster has pointed out, the majority of the drugs are smuggled in with or as legit shipments. The main point is that refugees are not responsible for Johnny Xanax at Westlake getting his hands on fentanyl.

I’m not blaming the illegals, I’m blaming the porous border and cartels. I gotta say the idea that kids in Houston are dying from fentanyl laced pills from Canada… well, it made me laugh out loud. Bravo. 

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 minute ago, Poe It Up said:

I’m not blaming the illegals, I’m blaming the porous border and cartels. I gotta say the idea that kids in Houston are dying from fentanyl laced pills from Canada… well, it made me laugh out loud. Bravo. 

How is it "porous" though? Seems like everyone is being apprehended. You're also ignoring the reality of the situation, which is that the vast majority of the fentanyl is coming through the ports. Are you saying that every shipment needs to be opened up Abbott-style? Do you want the supply chain to grind to a halt?

36 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

While Beto could come in and change things for the better, the last ten years of watching Texas football has taught me things can get much worse. He’s a complete unknown and I understand the voter’s reluctance here. 

Negged. He's not a complete unknown, and don't try to snuggle up over football. 

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

He’s a highly educated man who’s paid to talk.  If that’s “what he means”, why can he not articulate that? 

He did articulate it, but then your dumbfuck shitstain asshole edited sentences together to say something different:

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/new-tv-ad-from-greg-abbott-edits-clip-to-make-it-sound-like-beto-orourke-wants-to-defund-police-29839113

Gov. Greg Abbott's reelection campaign is airing TV spots that cut up and reassemble comments by opponent Beto O'Rourke to make it sound like the Democrat issued a wide-ranging approval of "defunding police forces."

The Republican incumbent's new ad, which began airing Tuesday, includes an excerpt from O'Rourke's 2020 appearance on the Young America podcast in which he discussed Black Lives Matter and police reform.

In the unedited clip, the former El Paso congressman says he supports shifting funds for "line items that have overmilitarized our police" into programs that focus on crime prevention. He stops short of saying law-enforcement agencies should be defunded.

However, Abbott's ad hacks more than 50 words from O'Rourke's statement. Then it tacks on words from a separate sentence, making it appear that the candidate gave a sweeping endorsement of slashing police budgets.

The 30-second ad intersperses video of O'Rourke with footage of violent crimes and masked protesters. It also flashes the bold yellow words "Defund, dismantle the police" onscreen as a dramatic voiceover claims the Democrat "stands with groups that support defunding the police."

Here's an actual transcript of O'Rourke's comments. The words in bold were the ones cut up and reassembled by the Abbott campaign. 

So, I really love that Black Lives Matters [sic] and other protesters have put this front and center, to defund, you know, these line items that have overmilitarized our police, and instead invest that money in the human capital of your community, make sure that you have the services, the help, the support, the health care necessary to be well and not require police intervention. And then also in some necessary cases, completely dismantling those police forces and rebuilding them.”

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to The Beto Effect - How To Lose Elections and Influence Nothing