Washington DC area -- airports

jimmyjazz

I have to fly my wife and our two teenagers up to northern Virginia (Burke) a couple of days after Christmas.  They'll be flying back in early January.  It appears that Reagan Washington National and Dulles are roughly equidistant.  (Dulles is about 21 miles NW of Burke, whereas Reagan is about 18 miles ENE.)  Baltimore is a 3rd option, but it's quite a bit further away.

To my recollection, I've never flown through DC -- does one of those airports suck a whole lot more than the other?  They'll be renting a car. 

Edited by jimmyjazz

Some of it may be dictated by when.  Reagan is the old sort of beat down airport and right outside the city, in Crystal City.  If they're going SW, the terminal is shittay, but it's very convenient if staying inside the beltway IMO.  SW runs a non-stop daily but it gets in a little after 4.  To get to Burke, they'd be driving with traffic probably out on 395 and around the beltway or up 66.  That's a fucking nightmare on a weekday.  Just a regular nightmare most other times.

Dulles is outside in NOVA, out on the Tollroad.  Dulles is big, clean and spacious.  It used to have these annoying trolleys you'd have to take out to the terminals from the main hub but now you can walk or take a short train ride.  IIRC, SW doesn't have a non-stop to Dulles so there's that and to get to Burke I imagine they'd 28 to the Fairfax County Pkwy.  Easier to navigate during rush hour IMO.  And unless it's the middle of the night, there's always traffic in DC/NOVA.  Frankly, Reagan is probably a more direct shot and if staying in Arlington, Alex or really inside the beltway, I'd recommend it as there's a metro stop and it's easy to get around via metro or cab.  If they're driving with a rental, then I'd probably go into Dulles if they don't mind the extra fly time.  Probably a little less traffic and nicer drive to the destination.

Again, depends on airline, when they're arriving, but typically it goes.... inside the 495 beltway -- Reagan.  Outside -- Dulles.  Forget about BWI.

I have to fly my wife and our two teenagers up to northern Virginia (Burke) a couple of days after Christmas.  They'll be flying back in early January.  It appears that Reagan Washington National and Dulles are roughly equidistant.  (Dulles is about 21 miles NW of Burke, whereas Reagan is about 18 miles ENE.)  Baltimore is a 3rd option, but it's quite a bit further away.

To my recollection, I've never flown through DC -- does one of those airports suck a whole lot more than the other?  They'll be renting a car. 

You’re on your own for 10 days or so. You should be asking about titters and rub-and-tugs near your house, instead of airports.

Aerospace 2 as it's sometimes called..... It's fucking cool.

https://airandspace.si.edu/udvar-hazy-center

So, don't know what the schedule is for your kids or when they're getting in but I think Dulles is fine.  Maybe Reagan is faster if they're getting in late, like after 8 pm.

Dulles is absolutely the nicer airport.  Reagan has the nicer landing as you get to see all the monuments/DC coming in.

Dulles is also the movie locale of Die Hard 2, so there's that!  Maybe they'll see John McLane.  Probably not as it wasn't actually filmed there.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

this should end well. 

Being a D.C. native, I fly regularly out of all 3 airports.  Obviously as people say, BWI would be okay except that it's a lot longer trip to Burke than the other 2.  Since you're using miles, the aspect of getting a killer deal there is irrelevant (well you probably won't get much more of a killer deal anyway than the other 2).

Other than that, my vote is both IAD and DCA are about equal.  Yeah Reagan is old, but it's very clean and kind of cool... a throwback to traveling in the 50's (the old main terminal is a registered national landmark or something).  It's small and can get awfully crowded but it's very easy to negotiate there - transportation out of the airport is as good as anywhere (Metro is only a 10 min. walk, rental cars about 6-7 minutes' walk, and a variety of other options).  Getting picked up there can be a little trafficky but not outrageously unless it's like a pre-holiday evening, which sucks everywhere.

Dulles of course is a must-see at least once,  famous terminal and all that.  As a normal D.C. traveler, my only problem with it is it's way out in bumfuck but they've almost got the Metro done all the way out there.  But since they'd be going sough on 28 to Burke, that's irrelevant.

To me both airports are almost exactly equal - you can't go wrong.  I would slightly dispute that Reagan is "dirty" or "run down".  It's old but they do a great job in keeping it shiny, and there are exhibits and stuff in there.

I guess it comes down to two things: 1) how are they getting from the airport to their destination?  Picked up?  Dulles is slightly (but only slightly) better because you sort of have to know the traffic patterns into/out of Reagan to avoid frustrating wrong turns or wrong fork choices.  But it's very doable.  Plus traffic won't be as bad out of Dulles, since it's not in the city.  2) What airport if any is giving you better mileage deal?  If it's not a big difference, Dulles is probably slightly less hassle.  If Reagan gives you a better deal, it's certainly not out of the question.  Plus your kin can ride the Metro down into Huntington (just south of the River and Alexandria) if someone wants to avoid city traffic, although there will be a good deal of traffic until they get down to Woodbridge... but they could also go down Route 1 and swing by Mt. Vernon for a quick look!

Anyway, both are definitely ok, Dulles slightly better to avoid traffic, but both are definitely in the mix.

Edited by phdhorn

42 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Best architecture as well, Eero Saarinen, and the aeronautical museum is a bonus.

This is basically the biggest upside of Dulles. And it is really cool, and all the signage inside is still original which lends to the vibe.

I'd never recommend anyone fly there though for domestic unless you are going to Tyson's corner or something.

5 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

. my only problem with it is it's way out in bumfuck

Understatement of the century.

4 minutes ago, G650 said:

This is basically the biggest upside of Dulles. And it is really cool, and all the signage inside is still original which lends to the vibe.

I'd never recommend anyone fly there though for domestic unless you are going to Tyson's corner or something.

Understatement of the century.

Yeah If you're going to DC Reagan is more convenient IMO.  I'll fly out of Dulles when I'm going skiing, and want to be able to hit the slopes by 1:00.

40 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I guess it comes down to two things: 1) how are they getting from the airport to their destination?  Picked up?  Dulles is slightly (but only slightly) better because you sort of have to know the traffic patterns into/out of Reagan to avoid frustrating wrong turns or wrong fork choices.  But it's very doable.  Plus traffic won't be as bad out of Dulles, since it's not in the city.  2) What airport if any is giving you better mileage deal?  

1) while I said they'll be renting a car, there is a slight chance they'll get picked up.  They're going to visit a brother who just moved to Burke and can't get home for XMas.

2) there is no difference in cost (miles).  The AAdvantage process is fixed at miles per leg based on the day, regardless of which airport in the area gets used.  (Well, that's how it appears to me.  I suppose I could force it to show me the two specific airports on separate searches and see if any changes pop up.)

Thanks again, everyone.  I'm leaning heavy to Dulles based on both the air museum and the architecture, both of which are big interests for my 14 YO son.

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'm going into the heart of DC on Saturday, but opted to fly into Dulles over Reagan because the flight times for the arrival and departure were better out of Dulles, even factoring the drive into town.

Yeah on a weekend, it's not as big a deal. Commuter traffic is a lot less.  Hit the air and space museum if you have the time.

20 hours ago, South Austin said:

I'm going into the heart of DC on Saturday, but opted to fly into Dulles over Reagan because the flight times for the arrival and departure were better out of Dulles, even factoring the drive into town.

Godspeed

Traditionally, the first rule of DC is "Just not Dulles."  DCA is one of the most convenient and smooth running airports in the America.  We fucking love it, and you can literally tell which party we belong to as to whether we call it National or Reagan.

Some of this depends on the Airlines.  I don't think SWA has much service into IAD, but does a fair amount of business in DCA.  United pretty much forces you through ORD if you go into DCA, but has lots of directs out of IAD.  American does a lot of business out of DCA, don't know about IAD.  With Delta, you're going through ATL regardless so whatevs.

HAVING SAID THAT:  Since they are going to Burke, I'd probably advise Dulles, as it avoids all the commuter routes into the city (namely the beltway and 395) they'll have to deal with.  The end of December won't matter, the city will be closed, but shits gonna get turnt up after New Year's.

BWI is way too far away from Burke.

Edited by Bateshorn

Well, it turned out that I had to book through Reagan National, as one leg back was sold out -- dealing with a rental car but switching airports seemed like a non-starter.

So, they get to see cool views of the city from the air, and they get to see nightmarish traffic too.  Win win.  (At least their return flight on 1/2/19 is at 5 PM, so they'll be able to get an early jump on traffic.)