Texas overachieving?

UTDD

They're overachieving a bit because the OL and QB positions were the biggest concerns and have improved beyond the most optimistic expectations. The latter in particular has basically done a complete 180 over the course of the year. If you asked people to handicap the season knowing QB play would be borderline elite and OL play would be serviceable, maybe even above average, I don't think many folks would've picked 9-3. Would've been a lot of 10-12 win predictions. That's where the relative underperformance, or at least inconsistency of the defense comes in.

On balance I'd say the team is about as good as I expected, offense is better and defense is a little worse. It also helps that the B12 and USC are down this year. Thought the schedule would be harder than it actually was.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Texas25 said:

Is there a reason you are ignoring the obvious assumption in my post? If Tua was injured, Alabama turned the ball over 4 times, and our entire team played the game of their life, then we could win. I'm operating under the assumption that Alabama wouldn't absolutely implode if they played us. Don't play stupid, you know what I mean't. When someone says their best is good enough to beat anyone, 99.9% of the time, they are saying that with the intent that their best is good regardless of what the opponent does. Not "Our best is good enough, as long as the Alabama team plane crashes".

Stating the obvious, no shit if we lose to Kansas the season is a serious underachievement, I'm going to go out on a limb and say we beat the not even one dimensional Jayhawks.

I'm not playing dumb.  I'm asking you to clarify what you mean.  Either you are saying that Tom is intentionally lying to the media, and knows full well that Alabama would crush Texas under most reasonable circumstances, or you simply think he is wrong.  I'll assume you meant what you wrote an that Tom knows better, but for whatever reason is blowing sunshine.  That doesn't seem like his usual MO, but ok, cool.  Hook 'em!

1 minute ago, idigTexas said:

I'm not playing dumb.  I'm asking you to clarify what you mean.  Either you are saying that Tom is intentionally lying to the media, and knows full well that Alabama would crush Texas under most reasonable circumstances, or you simply think he is wrong.  I'll assume you meant what you wrote an that Tom knows better, but for whatever reason is blowing sunshine.  That doesn't seem like his usual MO, but ok, cool.  Hook 'em!

Is coach speak new to you?

we have the players where we easily could have been undefeated against the schedule we played if only Herman did a few things different.. maryland? please. WVU? it took them a last second TD and 2 pt'er to beat us after we left a lot of points on the field. OSU? we dug a deep hole with our two corners out (not really going to blame Herman to much for that).

most of the games we won we had controlled the games through 3 quarters but we stopped playing our game and ended up with close ones.

3 hours ago, po elvis said:

we have the players where we easily could have been undefeated against the schedule we played if only Herman did a few things different.. maryland? please. WVU? it took them a last second TD and 2 pt'er to beat us after we left a lot of points on the field. OSU? we dug a deep hole with our two corners out (not really going to blame Herman to much for that).

most of the games we won we had controlled the games through 3 quarters but we stopped playing our game and ended up with close ones.

I know he likes to start on defense, but I think he made a tactical mistake vs OSU by not taking the ball first.  You know your 2 starting corners are suspended for the first quarter. Take the ball, go on a long drive and try and limit their possessions with two of your starters out.

• Like 1

Jesus fucking shit dicks you twads could suck the fun out having a foursome with Ann Margaret, Raquel Welch and Sophia Loren. Sure Ann Margaret and Raquel are in their late seventies and Sophia is 84 but goddamn. I mean gott damn!

Idoits! Sourpuss prune faced moron fuddy duddy no fun idoit wankers.

Are you not entertained?

What the fuck is wrong with you people?

Ok cool hookem is trolling you poopooheads with that overachieving horseshit.

Just enjoy it without all the overanalising hand wringing anchhihent dessicated biddy pearl clutching.

Are we overachieving? are we underachieving? Are we chieving? Chieve THIS motherfuckers. I got your chieve RIGHT HERE.

SHIT.

81813a43d47dcdad2501fda50d848ea8.jpg52f6c37661cdec3da732cba75de9e791.gif637311ee2da08adeee007d5beceaa4f9.gif

3337b42066f8b939924c985de0e20d75.gifae968f9dd464b4121c2589d8f62197c0.gif

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

His point regarding 1st team all-conference players is legitimate.  We aren't gonna have many, if any.  Our strongest position is WR and this conference is absolutely loaded with them.

So, in that light, a likely berth in the title game is pretty impressive.

We took our biggest hit on defense and it showed in our 3 losses.  Return our 4 best defensive players who left early (and stay out of trouble, Hill) and this team is playing for a playoff spot.  

They obviously didn't buy in, but if they had any idea of how this season would go without them, they might have reconsidered how be high their draft stock could have risen with the season that we could have had.  Hindsight 20/20 and all, and coaching changes are usually a tough road to travel, of which we have had a few. 

But if Boyd was the guy they targeted because Hill was on the other side... Elliott and Jones at safety with CS and BJ running around closer to the LOS... Malik and GJ, with roach on the line... and a punter pinning offenses deep regularly and limiting the opposing playbook. 

based on the surprising offensive turnaround I think it's fair to say we are overachieving. If we had returned our early departures on defense I would have thought 10-3 would be a great season.  After seeing our offense this year, those guys come back and we are likely undefeated at this point. 

14 hours ago, UTDD said:

Herman has made it clear recently more than once now that he considers the team to be overachieving a bit.  I am curious if people generally agree with this statement and/or why he would be saying it.

we are kver achieving, big time. nobody here had Texas as a borderline top 10 team that would play in the CCG, and, according to my sources, our defensive coordinator is an incompetent retard, which pairs nicely with our offensive coordinator who was blasted as an incompetent retard for the better part of the last year by the same sources. we also came into the  season without a proven starting QB, lost our first game to Maryland, and then struggled with Tulsa, and we looked pretty terrible in doing so. anyone who says we aren't overachieving is lying to themselves.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

we are kver achieving, big time. nobody here had Texas as a borderline top 10 team that would play in the CCG, and, according to my sources, our defensive coordinator is an incompetent retard, which pairs nicely with our offensive coordinator who was blasted as an incompetent retard for the better part of the last year by the same sources. we also came into the  season without a proven starting QB, lost our first game to Maryland, and then struggled with Tulsa, and we looked pretty terrible in doing so. anyone who says we aren't overachieving is lying to themselves.

Not exactly true, if you go back and look at some of the preseason “everyone’s a prognosticator threads”. There are a few of us that thought that winning 10 games, and getting a Big12 title shot AND winning it were very possible. And dare I say expected.

It is true that our reasoning how that scenario would take place was way off. But with OU, OSU, Baylor, TCU all having significant losses at key positions. It was fair to say most games were a pick em. The games with Maryland and Tulsa didn’t frighten anyone (Oop’s), though the USC game was thought to be a loss (Oop’s again). Not to mention that a few of the close losses last year that so easily could have went our way (and in a way that has been this years team’s greatest achievement, winning close games).

Add in that we had just came off a bowl victory with a solid defensive effort, and had our QB with an additional year under his belt going into the next campaign. Even though we were all in a disagreement over how Sam would play (there is that Oop’s again). 

So while the “how we would do it” was far from being on point. The fact that some of us thought it could be done was not.

2 hours ago, Hamttx said:

Not exactly true, if you go back and look at some of the preseason “everyone’s a prognosticator threads”. There are a few of us that thought that winning 10 games, and getting a Big12 title shot AND winning it were very possible. And dare I say expected.

It is true that our reasoning how that scenario would take place was way off. But with OU, OSU, Baylor, TCU all having significant losses at key positions. It was fair to say most games were a pick em. The games with Maryland and Tulsa didn’t frighten anyone (Oop’s), though the USC game was thought to be a loss (Oop’s again). Not to mention that a few of the close losses last year that so easily could have went our way (and in a way that has been this years team’s greatest achievement, winning close games).

Add in that we had just came off a bowl victory with a solid defensive effort, and had our QB with an additional year under his belt going into the next campaign. Even though we were all in a disagreement over how Sam would play (there is that Oop’s again). 

So while the “how we would do it” was far from being on point. The fact that some of us thought it could be done was not.

I posted this earlier in the thread - but this is the surly prediction thread from April where 9 wins was by far the most popular 2018 win total prediction.  8 wins and 10 wins tied for second place.