Psychedelic Mushrooms on FDA Fast Track

F250

I've been reading about hallucinogens being used to treat depression, anxiety and PTSD. It will be interesting to see how the final approval looks. I imagine it wouldn't be people selling a plastic baggy of mushrooms.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/psilocybin-legal-therapy-mdma-753946/

Edited by F250
auto correct
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

These are HUGE effect sizes in a treatment resistant population. Still a ways to go, only phase II. But a promising signal. 

https://www.statnews.com/2021/11/09/largest-psilocybin-trial-finds-psychedelic-effective-treating-serious-depression/

https://ir.compasspathways.com/news-releases/news-release-details/compass-pathways-announces-positive-topline-results

Eagerly awaited results of the largest-ever study of psilocybin were announced Tuesday, with Compass Pathways revealing the psychedelic drug was highly efficacious as a therapy for treatment-resistant depression. Still, the company’s stock price dropped 16.4% by the close of trading, perhaps because of safety concerns among investors.

The Phase 2b study is the largest randomized, controlled, double-blind trial of psilocybin, the psychedelic compound in magic mushrooms. The company said it found that patients who were given the highest dose, 25 milligrams, had a significant decrease in depressive symptoms compared to those given 1 milligram, which is such a low dose it functions as a placebo.

Overall, 29.1% of patients in the highest-dose group were in remission three weeks after treatment, compared to 7.6% of those in the control group, and more than a quarter of the patients in the 25-milligram arm were still in remission three months after treatment.

Those who received the highest dose also experienced an average reduction on a measure of clinical depression (the Montgomery-Asberg Depression Rating Scale) that was 6.6 points greater than those who took 1 milligram. Other patients were given a 10-milligram dose, but there was not a statistically significant impact for those patients compared with the 1-milligram arm.

3 hours ago, Deej said:

Made the mistake once of brewing tea with a quarter ounce of mushrooms. Just two of us. Best day of my life. 

Doesn’t sound like a mistake to me.

A friend and I split a quarter once. And they were really potent. We just ate them. That was a great night.

My most vivid memory was listening to the Beatles Past Masters Vol. II album. Sitting on opposite ends of the couch, I had my eyes closed and during Let it Be I realized I was crying, tears streaming down my face. It was just so beautiful. I thought it was curious that I should have that response so I turned to my friend to show him. And there he sat, eyes closed, with tears streaming down his face. It was wild. 

Most I recall taking was 7g, which I do not recommend…but I wanted to push it, as tripping had become a 2-3x per month experience at that time given how easy they are to grow (this was 20 years ago) and having nothing better to do.  Then again I had control over set/setting, roommates knew to leave me alone, and a few Valium if needed.  

Typical dose for a Friday night was an eighth…never understand how people could be so chill like ‘eat a handful of caps and stems’…motherfucker I want to make damn sure how much I’m taking and not get surprised with a monster, unwanted crawl through The Other Side.  

Glad that there are some people with the brains and drive to explore medicinal use, and having it schedule 1 is regarded.   Same with MDMA for PTSD.  My only problems with either were being unable to sleep afterwards, and inevitable jacked up serotonin for a day that comes with the territory.  Too many children of Reefer Madness in power and still hold certain chemicals in fearful reverence.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Doesn’t sound like a mistake to me.

A friend and I split a quarter once. And they were really potent. We just ate them. That was a great night.

My most vivid memory was listening to the Beatles Past Masters Vol. II album. Sitting on opposite ends of the couch, I had my eyes closed and during Let it Be I realized I was crying, tears streaming down my face. It was just so beautiful. I thought it was curious that I should have that response so I turned to my friend to show him. And there he sat, eyes closed, with tears streaming down his face. It was wild. 

It felt like a mistake for the first 30 minutes after drinking that tea. I thought the little alien thing was going to burst out of my stomach. Then, *poof*...and it was all good.