Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

15 hours ago, Parliament said:

Question for the 2-3 people here who actually know something.  Is it gonna get cold enough in Germany for them to chicken out?

I was in Hamburg from '89 - '92. The coldest I experienced was -18°C, which equated to 0°F. But apparently that was an anomaly and it's relatively warm compared to the southern part of the country. 

Scandinavia down to Switzerland will need natural gas to keep warm in the winter. It's gonna suck to live in Europe during the winter. But that's will 5 months away and hopefully Putin will be dead, the war will be over -or- infrastructure to bring in other natural gas sources will be stood up (relatively speaking).

Ukrainian military leadership has been solid overall, and the war of attrition against the Russians, plus the recent strikes on the ammo dumps with HIMARS, UAVs, etc. feels like we might start seeing results his summer, if not this month.

And this is after Russia was having to take ammo from Belarus’s military, LOL.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

We.... Blame solar and wind power!

Real talk though, @956 Worldwide can probably provide some insight as to what's happening boots on the ground. He and one other surlyite live and work in/around Germany if I recall

I live further East but close enough to take a day trip to the former GDR.  They need heat here.  It doesn’t get bitterly, biting cold like in Russia or Poland.  But you can count on regular nighttime temperatures below freezing, and several days that cold.  In the country you can burn wood but that’s not an option in the big apartment blocks that house so many.

Something like 15 percent of German electricity is gas fired and huge chunks of industry needs it to.  The winter just drives demand higher.  Life in a German city in winter without heat would be horrible indeed, maybe even dangerous.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Is anyone else a little confused/perturbed about the gradual escalation of sanctions?

If it hurts Russia/Belarus, why would you not have done it months ago? Slowly applying more pressure makes no sense. 

It makes perfect sense. You have to keep something in reserve to deter or respond to future escalations. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

You also want to have a mechanism for good behavior, and to try and calibrate how to get enough pressure on Russia while doing less that hurts you and your Allies. And it does hurt.

But, my own thinking has changed.  Putin is demonstrating he is non-deterrable and it’s time to use sanctions as a real weapon— maximum pain, immediately. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Pretty good all things considered. Ukraine is still standing and things are returning to normal in Kyiv (missile strike every now and then notwithstanding).

"Minus Russia indiscriminately bombing schools, hospitals, shopping malls and residential buildings, sanctions have done well in deterring their bad behavior."

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Sure looks like a low vis Big Red One on his left shoulder.

Yes, it does.  As I recall, some Ukrainian soldiers served alongside US troops in Afghanistan.  Probably a souvenir patch he was given there.  Know what I mean?  Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

"Minus Russia indiscriminately bombing schools, hospitals, shopping malls and residential buildings, sanctions have done well in deterring their bad behavior."

If you think what's happened so far is even close to the worst Russia can do, then maybe it's a good thing you're on the internet and not making policy decisions. 

15 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

If you think what's happened so far is even close to the worst Russia can do, then maybe it's a good thing you're on the internet and not making policy decisions. 

'at least they haven't dropped a nuke. must mean the sanctions are working.'

nah man. russia isn't acting rationally. bring the pain, all of it. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How long have they been up there, to have brought those flags?  Or do they have a Joanne’s fabrics on the ISS to get a few yards of cloth?

Was wondering that. Anyone know when the last resupply up there was? My bet is they were sent up just for this day. 

A speaker of French, Italian, and Russian, he is a Foreign Area Officer with a concentration on Eurasia

He was promoted to captain and served as an instructor at Ranger Schoolbetween 1992 and 1994. He entered the Russian Foreign Area Officer program in 1995, and graduated from Yale Universitywith a Master of Arts in Russian and East European Studies in 1997.……

Now a lieutenant colonel, Cavoli served successively as Director for Russia on the Joint Staff Strategic Plans and Policy Directorate from 2001, as deputy executive assistant for the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff from 2003, and became a senior fellow at the National Defense University in 2004

New commander of NATO.  Coincidence that he’s got all that Russian learnin?

Futurama Squinting GIF

• Hook 'Em 4

Thinking about one of my earlier posts. Hold them on the river. Bleed their troops and let the UA's army build up. Get NATO weapons in. Sanctions take time to bite. Looks like we are seeing that. 

Bleed them, hit their rear and then go take back land. Shit, Eastern Ukraine is devastated. Let the Putinites try and solve it and not piss of the population. Going to be an interesting summer to watch. War of attrition comes in the fall. That benefits the Ukraine.