Teams that left the conference -- where did they finish this year?

SEC

When Nebraska talks about how much they're getting paid, they're glossing over the reality that the original Big 12 would be getting paid more than the current Big 12 had it stayed together.

And the current Big 12 makes a lot of money - more than 2 of the other 4 P5 leagues.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I really don't get that. I think Texas football has been slightly diminished by not playing Arkansas and (to a lesser degree) Texas A&M every year. Those games that you want to win but HATE to lose are what makes college football so gut-wrenchingly important in a way no other sport can match. We now have one: Oklahoma. Nebraska has, if I can speak for Nebraska, zero. I mean, I'm sure you don't like losing to anyone, but I doubt losing to Iowa or Wisconsin or Ohio State feels nearly as bad as losing to villainous Texas or lawbreaking Oklahoma.

I'm not a Nebraska fan so I can't tell you what to think but the idea that who you play doesn't matter baffles me. Why not quit the BIg Ten and play in C-USA, where your odds of going 12-0 increase dramatically? Oh, right, you want your athletic department to make Teh Most Moniez. 

In my opinion, the quality of competition from top to bottom in the Big Ten will be greater than or equal to that of the Big 12 most years.  C-USA would not provide that quality of competition, and I put a higher premium on interesting games rather than easy wins.  So if we can play in a conference that provides greater than or equal competition and pays more money with a nice network...shouldn't Nebraska be content with that?

2 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

When Nebraska talks about how much they're getting paid, they're glossing over the reality that the original Big 12 would be getting paid more than the current Big 12 had it stayed together.

And the current Big 12 makes a lot of money - more than 2 of the other 4 P5 leagues.

I don't know what to say about that.  Nebraska was only one of the four teams that left, so I'm not sure if we stayed and those other three left if we would have been just as well off as we are now.

3 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

I don't know what to say about that.  Nebraska was only one of the four teams that left, so I'm not sure if we stayed and those other three left if we would have been just as well off as we are now.

One thing's for sure: Nebraska would have fought tooth and nail for unequal revenue sharing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

Didn't you play 8 home games? Not much traveling to do.

Yes, this is true for next year.  How the Big Ten sets up their schedules is somewhat a head scratcher for me.  However fans like my uncles and cousins liked to go down to Manhattan or Stillwater or Ames for games because it was easily done from the middle of Nebraska

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

One thing's for sure: Nebraska would have fought tooth and nail for unequal revenue sharing.

What is certain is that we didn't have to do so in our present conference to get a larger amount of money.  So maybe the Big Ten saved us from that unpleasant issue, which is great for all concerned.

46 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

Nebraska hasn't fully recovered from Mike Riley's stint.  That was worse than your Charlie Strong era, but I am sure you can relate.  So Nebraska will aim for winning the Big Ten West next year and take it from there.  For Nebraskans, it really doesn't matter where we play football, or who are conference foes are, as long as one of the teams playing is Nebraska.

I don't think its just Riley...

DOYE_aIV4AAzWZE.jpg:large

8 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

What is certain is that we didn't have to do so in our present conference to get a larger amount of money.  So maybe the Big Ten saved us from that unpleasant issue, which is great for all concerned.

No, what is certain is that your present conference wouldn't ALLOW to have unequal revenue sharing.  Otherwise, we ALL know where Nebraska stood on that issue, because we ALL know exactly how Nebraska voted EVERY.  SINGLE.  TIME. it ever came up to vote.

What is also certain is that it was not until Nebraska LEFT the B12, that the B12 voted for equal revenue sharing on all conference distributions.

Interesting how that worked out, isn't it?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

I'm talking about if all 4 had stayed.

But since none of you really tried to work anything out, we'll never know.

Interesting chart.  Of course, the Big 8 was basically Nebraska and Oklahoma, so that artificially inflated where we were.  Then that big bump in the '90s left us no place to go but down, realistically.  Anyhow, we have a competent Athletic Director and a very promising young coach, so we look forward to seeing what the graph looks like in a couple of years, if one exists then.

11 minutes ago, Kyle said:

I'll respectfully disagree with you. I realize I'm asking for it, but despite the ESPN hype, Baylor had two arrests and those players never played / never played again after being arrested. Osbourne had myriad arrested criminals playing for him regularly. Baylor certainly dropped the ball in its governance, but much of it was accusation with not a ton proven - those that were were dealt with. No, not making excuses, but I think don't think just because a young black guy is accused he's automatically guilty. Yes, I read the Pepper Hamilton report as well as the formal letter from the university exonerating Briles. Like anything that garners popular opinion, there is often a distinction between popular opinion and reality, which is not to say there was nothing but to say it likely was not to the scale of the social media storm.

Not trying to derail, so feel free to flame /neg away, but I'm not going to respond so as to keep on topic. I'm not defending every action Baylor took at all, but I also think it is no worse than TCU, Nebraska, FSU, etc. The university just completely mishandled the crisis and allowed it to take a life of its own.

My beef with Osbourne in addition to putting winning above women is his ridiculous hypocrisy. I'll given Fisher, Patterson, Briles credit at least that they were not pretending to be something they are not. I don't see how a man can speak at Promise Keepers one day and have Lawrence Philips play the next.

You blast Osborne for being a hypocritical Christian and then defend Baylor and Briles?  Fuck Baylor and fuck Briles and their rape enabling ways. Yeah Briles did not pretend to be something he is not ... like a good Christian. Not hypocritical at all.  Not a ton proven? Multiple players convicted of rape, a high number of women paid off to avoid going to court and having lawyers crawl up Baylor's ass with a microscope. Starr and Briles forced out. The university intentionally limited what PH could investigate then only wanted a verbal report and a short summary, not a full written report, because they knew if it got out they would be fucked in court. Baylor refusing to be transparent and hiding behind their status as a private university to avoid disclosing things that a public university would have to. The scandal was probably worse than we think because Baylor did everything they could to cover it up and then limit the damage when it got out.  Are you a BU grad? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnP2bkDEVAUUwpUEI6XEF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jhawkmvp said:

You blast Osborne for being a hypocritical Christian and then defend Baylor and Briles?  Fuck Baylor and fuck Briles and their rape enabling ways. Yeah Briles did not pretend to be something he is not ... like a good Christian. Not hypocritical at all.  Not a ton proven? Multiple players convicted of rape, a high number of women paid off to avoid going to court and having lawyers crawl up Baylor's ass with a microscope. Starr and Briles forced out. The university intentionally limited what PH could investigate then only wanted a verbal report and a short summary, not a full written report, because they knew if it got out they would be fucked in court. Baylor refusing to be transparent and hiding behind their status as a private university to avoid disclosing things that a public university would have to. The scandal was probably worse than we think because Baylor did everything they could to cover it up and then limit the damage when it got out.  Are you a BU grad? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSnP2bkDEVAUUwpUEI6XEF

How about if we trade Baylor for Nebraska?  Everyone should be happy then.   If not, still good playing with nine.

• Like 1

Just to be clear, any of Nebraska's hypocrisy started with Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Rodgers robbing a gas station and never missing a practice.  That was Nebraska putting winning above character.  It also wasn't very smart of Rodgers, since the number of young black men who could run away from the scene of the crime that fast in Lincoln, Nebraska could be counted on on hand...

So that started under Devaney...

Edited by Cornfusion
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 9:19 AM, BigXII said:

A nice little cross section of all the bitch-ass teams which have run away over the years, and where they finished in their respective conferences this year:

Arkansas: 14th out of 14

Aggy: 6th out of 14

Mizzou: 8th out of 14

Colorado: 11th out of 12

Nebraska: 8th out of 14

Hope you guys are having fun!

But, but, Long Horn Network!!!

BTW what has the revenue from all sports been at these schools since they left versus what it would have been if they stayed?

Too lazy to look up the first part and have no clue how you could calculate the second part of the question.

OK, Cool, Hook 'Em!

1 hour ago, Cornfusion said:

In my opinion, the quality of competition from top to bottom in the Big Ten will be greater than or equal to that of the Big 12 most years.  C-USA would not provide that quality of competition, and I put a higher premium on interesting games rather than easy wins.  So if we can play in a conference that provides greater than or equal competition and pays more money with a nice network...shouldn't Nebraska be content with that?

Nebraska can be content with whatever arrangement floats the boats its land-locked ass doesn't have. I will remain baffled by how one of the top 10 programs from 1970-2000 is "content" being an afterthought in a conference where its rival is Iowa. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

16 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Nebraska can be content with whatever arrangement floats the boats its land-locked ass doesn't have. I will remain baffled by how one of the top 10 programs from 1970-2000 is "content" being an afterthought in a conference where its rival is Iowa. 

Winning takes care of any conference impediments, real or imagined.  If a team wins, then the conference doesn't matter. (Think Oklahoma and Nebraska in the Big Eight) If one can't win, then the conference doesn't matter.  When it does matter is what the conference pays out every year.  So regardless of what conference in which a team finds itself, it has to win to be relevant...unless it is the SEC.  Then that garners enough votes to put a .500 team in the Top 25 early in the season.

Edited by Cornfusion
added Big 8 example

What do you as a fan care what the conference pays out, though, past the point of being able to properly reinvest in its athletic programs (which Nebraska could easily do in either the Big Ten or Big 12)? Texas is #1 in revenue every single year (other than those in which A&M gets to add in one-time donations as "revenue"), but none of that money goes in my pocket. I don't want us to "maximize revenue streams" at the cost of traditional rivalries.

• Like 1

Osbourne may have run the dirtiest program in college football history while that hypocrite hid behind his religion. He had exponentially more coverups and criminals than Baylor or TCU ever thought about having. To me, Osbourne is the epitome of evil and hypocrisy - Briles and Patterson do not pretend to be some thing they are not.

True story. Osborne is scum. Look no further than Lawrence “needs football in his life” Phillips.

37 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

What do you as a fan care what the conference pays out, though, past the point of being able to properly reinvest in its athletic programs (which Nebraska could easily do in either the Big Ten or Big 12)? Texas is #1 in revenue every single year (other than those in which A&M gets to add in one-time donations as "revenue"), but none of that money goes in my pocket. I don't want us to "maximize revenue streams" at the cost of traditional rivalries.

Nebraska  had only one traditional rival, and that was Oklahoma.  They went to the Big 12 South, we stayed in the North, so that went from an  every year game to every other year.  Plus, we were still paying Pelini and Riley this year along with Frost, so we were able to take care of them in a fairly painless manner with buy out offers, although Pelini wouldn't take a buy out.  Actually, it makes sense for him not to at this stage, for tax purposes.  Pelini had his faults, but his biggest error was  to call out narcissistic Nebraska fans after they booed his team at half during the 2011 Ohio State game.  I might be the only Husker fan who doesn't buy into the "Greatest College Football Fans of All Time" title with which the rank and file Nebraska fans have anointed themselves.  Pelini could be a prikk, but his temper wasn't what did him in at Nebraska.  He wouldn't kiss the ring of Nebraska Fandom.

Edited by Cornfusion

I came to this Texas forum because you seem to talk and reminisce about former conference foes on a regular basis, one of those former conference foes being Nebraska.  This thread being proof of my assumption.  I thought since you were talking about Nebraska, it wasn't taboo for me to do so as well.
Yes, I just joined.  I hope this doesn't offend the majority, but I believe you have mechanisms in place to remove me if you should wish. 
Corn aggy wasnt a foe it was a whipping boy. So fuck off mr losole dumbass whining titty baby and enjoy your time here.

I believe I wasn't the first to bring up the Nebraska Cornhuskers and the attendant feelings surrounding them in this thread.  I think I joined a thread already in process talking about the Nebraska Cornhuskers and other former conference teams from the SWC or Big 12.  Do you find it odd that a Huskers fan would be drawn to Husker content?
I bet you drawn to cornhuskers lotion.

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It also glosses over the fact that they ran about six years of underpayment before getting a full share, with the Big 12 jumping up to where they wanted to be right after they left.   Meaning for six years they've been running a deficit to the likes of Kansas State.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

It also glosses over the fact that they ran about six years of underpayment before getting a full share, with the Big 12 jumping up to where they wanted to be right after they left.   Meaning for six years they've been running a deficit to the likes of Kansas State.

That's a talking point glossed over on dirt as well, as no Longhorn or Sooner administrator would be willing to take a loss (for 6 years) just to join the slow lethargic B1G west...

Just now, kopp0e said:

That's a talking point glossed over on dirt as well, as no Longhorn or Sooner administrator would be willing to take a loss (for 6 years) just to join the slow lethargic B1G west...

In my estimation, the junior partner status was worth it.  But I can't put a price tag on Big 12 pride, so I won't debate what it means to Oklahoma and Texas.

1 hour ago, MrPhlegm said:
4 hours ago, Cornfusion said:
I came to this Texas forum because you seem to talk and reminisce about former conference foes on a regular basis, one of those former conference foes being Nebraska.  This thread being proof of my assumption.  I thought since you were talking about Nebraska, it wasn't taboo for me to do so as well.
Yes, I just joined.  I hope this doesn't offend the majority, but I believe you have mechanisms in place to remove me if you should wish. 

Corn aggy wasnt a foe it was a whipping boy. So fuck off mr losole dumbass whining titty baby and enjoy your time here.

Too soon after the breakup for you?

11 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Nor will they have to if it comes to that. Oklahoma and most especially Texas have a lot more leverage than Nebraska could ever hope to. Neither is taking a partial share of anything in order to join that conference.

I really think what the Big Ten would be best off doing-- and oh my God, I'm talking realignment again-- is jettisoning its worst programs in the East and West divisions and trying to come up with a 12-member format that eliminates dead weight. Of course that also kills a lot of traditional matchups (I refuse to call some of them rivalries, get that Illibuck shit out of here). 

I get that there are CIC and traditional matchup considerations in play, but you can't tell me the Big Ten is better off with Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland versus Texas, OU, Kansas, Syracuse, and Pitt. Not in the era of cable-cutting and the incipient heat death of the cable subscription revenue model. 

What I'd prefer to that is to rebuild a 12-member, two-division Big 12 that as closely mirrors the circa 2010 version as possible by poaching Arkansas and Nebraska. Never happen, but that would be my preference to joining the BIg Ten or Pac-12.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

In my estimation, the junior partner status was worth it.  But I can't put a price tag on Big 12 pride, so I won't debate what it means to Oklahoma and Texas.

I don't think it's enough to "move the needle" at this point for either Texas, or Oklahoma, in losing control over their own branding...

Just a few years ago, Nebraska was paid about $15 mill for BTN 3rd tier, then $26 mill, now after 6 years, is (finally) outearning OU-$43 mill/ NU-$51 mill, tied with UT-51 mill...

12 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Nor will they have to if it comes to that. Oklahoma and most especially Texas have a lot more leverage than Nebraska could ever hope to. Neither is taking a partial share of anything in order to join that conference.

I really think what the Big Ten would be best off doing-- and oh my God, I'm talking realignment again-- is jettisoning its worst programs in the East and West divisions and trying to come up with a 12-member format that eliminates dead weight. Of course that also kills a lot of traditional matchups (I refuse to call some of them rivalries, get that Illibuck shit out of here). 

I get that there are CIC and traditional matchup considerations in play, but you can't tell me the Big Ten is better off with Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, and Maryland versus Texas, OU, Kansas, Syracuse, and Pitt. Not in the era of cable-cutting and the incipient heat death of the cable subscription revenue model. 

What I'd prefer to that is to rebuild a 12-member, two-division Big 12 that as closely mirrors the circa 2010 version as possible by poaching Arkansas and Nebraska. Never happen, but that would be my preference to joining the BIg Ten or Pac-12.

The long term growth of the midwest is stagnant at best vs the south (SEC/ACC) & west (XII/PAC) regions, so the B1G needs growth from somewhere...
That is why you have seen over the last decade, talk of "raiding" the ACC (around 2012), and now the XII, and even PAC, before the end of GoR's, the area need new talent...

54 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

BTW, every single member of the B1G voted against Nebraska in the vote, all of them. 

Brotherly love and what not.

LOL

Yeah, Nebraska ran into that a lot back in the day.  It didn't help that Nebraska's Chancellor, Harvey Perleman, acted like he was autistic throughout the whole process.  Perleman also gifted us with Steve Pederson and Shawn Eichorst as Athletic Directors.  Those were a pair you wouldn't want to draw to.

Anyhow, water under the bridge.

14 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

A, fuck your weird large font.

B whoosh.....  So woosh

A.  Font fixed, but you can certainly have your way with the former large font as per your wish.

B.  https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/higher_education/losing-aau-status-not-fatal-for-nebraska/article_e93dccc6-ed16-11e5-9aa9-0312c0e2e5e6.html

Here's an excerpt, from the newspaper of our former conference mate, no less"

The AAU dumped Nebraska essentially for two reasons.

First, the University of Nebraska’s medical school is at its Omaha campus, not the flagship campus in Lincoln. So, any federal research dollar, premier faculty member and publication in a prestigious journal from the medical school couldn’t be counted toward Nebraska’s AAU status.

Second, the university focuses heavily on agriculture research, a priority for a land grant institution. But in the eyes of the AAU, most agricultural research is not peer-reviewed, competitive research, so it is “not considered as highly,” AAU spokesman Barry Toiv said, compared with medical and economic research.

So the "water under the bridge" outlook is not unique to just being my opinion.  If one has the time and inclination, the article is perhaps interesting read, outside of featiromg a portrait of the cadaverous Perlman, which made me want to throw holy water on my monitor.

33 minutes ago, Cornfusion said:

A.  Font fixed, but you can certainly have your way with the former large font as per your wish.

B.  https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/higher_education/losing-aau-status-not-fatal-for-nebraska/article_e93dccc6-ed16-11e5-9aa9-0312c0e2e5e6.html

Here's an excerpt, from the newspaper of our former conference mate, no less"

So the "water under the bridge" outlook is not unique to just being my opinion.  If one has the time and inclination, the article is perhaps interesting read, outside of featiromg a portrait of the cadaverous Perlman, which made me want to throw holy water on my monitor.

But UT voted to keep NU as an AAU member, but somehow the Longhorns are painted as the bad guys in all this...
It makes no sense, especially as Powers/ Deloss were forthright, in all issues discussing with Nebraska/Colorado/Missouri/A&M...

I think Nebraska, at the time just saw an easy way as to not "foot the bill" on the 3rd tier network, by joining the B1G; and needed as scapegoat...

As other than the prop48 issue, UT/OU/NU/A&M voted more often than not, the exact same on all issues in the XII; including the Huskers not wanting a XII network...

On 11/26/2018 at 9:19 AM, BigXII said:

A nice little cross section of all the bitch-ass teams which have run away over the years, and where they finished in their respective conferences this year:

Arkansas: 14th out of 14

Aggy: 6th out of 14

Mizzou: 8th out of 14

Colorado: 11th out of 12

Nebraska: 8th out of 14

Hope you guys are having fun!

Username checks out

30 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

But UT voted to keep NU as an AAU member, but somehow the Longhorns are painted as the bad guys in all this...

First off, before we go any further, please don't confuse me with the average Nebraska fan.  I'm the guy who sides with Pelini on his take with Nebraska fandom and the Nebraska media in general.  My wife's coworker came to work at Nebraska with her doctorate in Agriculture from Purdue.  She gets treated like sh!t at her first Purdue / Nebraska game.  Why?  Because Purdue beat Nebraska.  If Nebraska wins that game by thirty points then "The World's Greatest Fans" would have been condescendingly sweet to her, just like they always were when the curb stomped Kansas or Iowa State.  I root for the Huskers, but I am not a fan of their prototypical fan...who DOES have a chapped @ss about the Big 12.

That being said, I don't blame Texas for Nebraska jumping ship.It happened, for whatever reason, and I think it was the right move for Nebraska regardless of who felt what butthurt or why.  I DO think a lot of our former Big 8 conference mates liked to run out from behind the shadows of Texas and Oklahoma and kick us in the shins during the time of our being in the Big 12, because they could do it on the belief that there would be no consequences.  In the end, it was a decision in favor of stability for Nebraska. No hard feelings on my part,  I just hope Urban Meyer's health holds out until Scott Frost gets one or two more recruiting classes and strength and conditioning is no longer optional, like it was under Mike Riley. 

Edited by Cornfusion

On 11/27/2018 at 11:06 AM, Cornfusion said:

I believe I wasn't the first to bring up the Nebraska Cornhuskers and the attendant feelings surrounding them in this thread.  I think I joined a thread already in process talking about the Nebraska Cornhuskers and other former conference teams from the SWC or Big 12.  Do you find it odd that a Huskers fan would be drawn to Husker content?

I find it odd that a Husker fan with a non-existent posting history here was lurking on this board in the first place, just as this topic came up.  It's almost as if the Big 10 has people who monitor how they are discussed online and then if necessary send someone to put out negative PR fires.  

On 11/26/2018 at 8:18 PM, mulletpelini said:

Yes, this should be posted at every opportunity because its absolutely never ever been posted before.  Good job good effort.

Hey did you know that the 94, 95 and 97 NC teams were entirely filled with Texas players?  Because I read it on here!  It must be true!

Since you like that so much, I’ll post this Lincoln Journal Star article (for the umpteenth time):

Messages a blow to Texas conspiracy theories

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

5 hours ago, camel at sea said:

I find it odd that a Husker fan with a non-existent posting history here was lurking on this board in the first place, just as this topic came up.  It's almost as if the Big 10 has people who monitor how they are discussed online and then if necessary send someone to put out negative PR fires.  

Your right-er than you may have guessed:

Nov 7, 2013 - 

COLLEGE PARK  The University of Maryland said Thursday that it paid $3,000 to a social media firm last year and directed it to correct any "inaccuracies" appearing on websites during the initially stormy debate over the school's decision to join the Big Ten Conference.

The university wanted to monitor the tone and provide any needed "corrections or clarifications as quickly as possible" on various sites, said Brian Ullmann, assistant vice president for marketing and communications at the university.

Ullmann was interviewed Thursday about the media and public relations campaign the university launched, with the aid of consultants, after anticipating an unfavorable reaction to the Big Ten among fans. Emails obtained Wednesday through a public records request by The Baltimore Sun provided an inside look at the campaign.

On Twitter and other forums, some fans and pundits expressed concern Thursday that Maryland had tried to steer the debate. They used words like "manipulate" and "spin."

On 11/27/2018 at 5:11 PM, BurntEyes said:

What's funny is I haven't seen the Huskers here address the fact that they were AAU prior to leaving the Big 12.

Once they departed, a certain power player stopped carrying weight for them and they were immediately kicked from AAU. BTW, every single member of the B1G voted against Nebraska in the vote, all of them.

Brotherly love and what not.

I dint come here to play school

• 4 months later...

this article details the NU payments up to 2018

https://www.omaha.com/huskers/nebraska-on-track-for-big-payday-in-maryland-s-larger/article_48adc24b-44f6-5bd8-ae62-3affc90e4c86.html#facebook-comments

I did the math in the past and taking current Big 12 payments (that may well have been higher with Nebraska) NU was at a deficit of about $60 to $65 million excluding any 3rd tier money and we ll know that NU was ahead of Texas in developing their own network

when you add in even modest 3rd tier money I think the deficit gets to about $80 million

there was the $15 (of I recall) million to leave and then about a $10 million dollar per year lower payment from the Big 10 up to about 2017 when it was about $7 million then it pretty much evened out for a year and now they are doing well (again relative to regular Big 12 payouts and excluding any Big 12 3rd tier they might have received)

they will probably be about break even at the end of the current Big 10 TV deal, but that is about 12 years to break even with a large deficit to start

also with the AAU I think only 2 or 3 of the Big 10 voted against their continued membership, but I know that 100% of the Big 12 members at the time including Texas voted for their membership

as for the stories about the medical school and ag research the AAU has made it very clear those excuses are 100% total bullshit

1. there is an extremely large number of the AAU members that are the land grant university in their state including Penn State, Michigan State, aggy, Cornell, Minnesota, Illinois, Purdue, Florida and a number of others....many that are also in the Big 10

the AAU does not exclude 100% of ag research they exclude 100% of the portion that is awarded statutorily for being a land grant university.....because the AAU only looks at research that is competitively awarded not just handed off for being a land grant

so 100% of the AAU members that are land grant have their statutorily awarded land grant money for research excluded

2. the AAU evaluates universities based on their mission and how they are positioned in their state......the AAU does not fully compare Nebraska to the University of California members or to aggy because the AAU understands that California has something like 30 public universities and many of them are large universities with a full depth and breath of programs and degrees and Texas has 36 or so with many of the being the same......while Nebraska has 3 (I believe) public universities and one of them is about 6,500 students and the other is more of a city university so NU needs to serve the vast majority of students in Nebraska......this is similar to Iowa with 3 total public universities, Arizona with 3, and Kansas with 4 or 5 (I believe)

so when the AAU compares universities they compare public universities from similar states they do not compare Texas to Columbia (large private school in a state filled with large private schools) or Kansas to UC Berkeley

this is the reason that there are a number of private schools that are not in the AAU that many people think should be in the AAU....because when those private schools are compared to the other private universities with similar metrics they are not in that top level of private schools.....and the AAU is not looking to be the American Association of Exclusive Private Schools

nor are they looking to be The American Association of Large Universities From Large States

so Nebraska was evaluated against peer universities from similar states with similar missions

3. again as above the AAU evaluates universities that have medical schools differently than those that do not because they realize that a medical school makes a large difference....many people point to UAB and their massive research and say "they should be AAU all that research tho".....but of course the rest of UAB is not that impressive at all as a university they are simply an urban university in the largest and capital city of their state with the main medical school for the state attached to a meh university

the AAU does not compare Rice to Columbia (just like they to not compare Rice to UT) they compare Rice to Cal Tech or other private schools with no medical school and they compare with those in and out of the AAU (so Rice compared to SMU, TCU, Tulsa)

Nebraska knew for a decade that the AAU was going to evaluate their membership if moving the medical school under the main campus would have helped well their dumb asses had a damn decade to do so....and being only of only 3 public schools in the entire state and one of them basically having ZERO say in the matter it is not like there are 20 other public schools pissed off if that medical school is placed under the main campus and wanting the medical school in their area to be placed under their campus

and in Texas the reason medical schools are not under universities (until recently when aggy merged theirs under the main campus and UT Austin and UTRGV got medical schools) is because those medical schools are funded with different formulas than main universities are and as an example Texas Tech looked at merging theirs, but the loss in state funding made it not worth it because of the formulas.....probably one of the additional reasons that john not-so-sharp fucked aggy on state funding with his stupid plans to conquer the aggy system...when they merged the medical components (especially being spread all over the state) they took a hit on formula funding

with Nebraska and one main university, an urban university and a small university and one medical school in the state that should not have been near the issue it would be in Texas

but of course the REALITY is the Nebraska medical school is not all that productive in research even compared to similar medical schools.....so if that medical school was merged under the main campus the result would have been a change in the peer public universities (now with medical schools) that Nebraska would have been evaluated against and adding a medical school that does not produce a large amount of research relative to peers to a university that is not producing research relative to their AAU peers would not have been a help it probably would have been a hindrance which is why it was never done in the 10 years that Nebraska was being told the AAU was evaluating their membership

but just like leaving the Big 12 and letting the fans and everyone else blame Texas (even though pearlman is on record saying that Texas had nothing to do with it and NU voted the same as Texas on all major issues) the administration of Nebraska has no problem putting out bullshit to cover their asses and expecting people (especially their own fans and alumni) to not question it

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 2