The Italy Thread

sidis

Late to the discussion but we got bored of Venice after a few days (19 Euro Norwegian flights from our home at the time so multiple trips)...  Rented a car and drove over to Spit in Croatia over the course of a week the last time we were there and loved various stops along the route. Still not as good though as an agriturismo in Tuscany...

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

231e0846-5e0d-476d-a926-ddbf752e9b97_tex

Many trips to Venice due to cheap flights from Oslo so we went there multiple times just because of the cost.  Used Venice airport as a base to drive to other locations after the first trip as we got bored there after the first trip...

• Hook 'Em 1

Just posted this on the Vacationing in Times of Covid thread.  Ask any Italy questions and I'll answer what I can...

Flew Air Dolomiti yesterday which is owned by Lufthansa and they required masks.  Part of the rule has to do with German law and I believe Italian law requires it on public transportation.  I wore a KN95... honestly didn't bother me much.  I was more bothered by the guy sitting diagonally from my wife who coughed most of the 11 hour flight from Munich while wearing his mask on his chin.

So... based on very recent experience...

Italian airports handling things relatively well right now since the govt propped them up and they didn't lose as much airport staff

Munich apparently runs better than Frankfurt.  We didn't have many issues other than some reasonable delays and the upside of Munich is they don't make you go back through security if you connect through.  Frankfurt makes you go through another security check and is generally not as well laid out.

Smaller airports seems to be weathering the storm.  Bologna, where we fly in and out, has 14 gates... while the airport is in general a cluster, it was not the same kind of cluster as most other European airports.  Friend who is a pilot with RyanAir in Poland told me that smaller airports are doing OK.  Its big massive hubs that are taking a beating with LHR and AMS leading the charge.

We got lucky - not lost bags.  We only checked one on the way there (packed all of our clothes in roller bags) and then checked four on the way back since we had a bunch of wine and we just didn't care as much.  Had a Tile on one bag and it allowed us to see where the bags were located.  United's app is also good about showing you where the bags are in the journey.  

Our rental car was expensive but it was there so I can't complain.  We drove a lot but maybe used up just barely over a tank of gas.  At $8.00/gallon of diesel, having a car that sipped rather than glugged was helpful.  

We were in areas frequented primarily by Italians and heard maybe a dozen Americans total... otherwise some Germans and other northern Europeans.  We were outside 95% of the time so I think we missed Covid but we have plenty of friends who caught it in the past few weeks while in Europe.

All in all, we were super lucky and I should go play the lottery.

We did Austin to dc to Frankfurt to Milan then driver to como driver to ballagio driver to Venice train to Rome rented a car and got to puglia 3 days ago. Me wife and 2 kids. Lufthansa lost all of our luggage. Wife and kids got theirs in Venice but they fucking sent mine to the wrong place. It got to Venice the day after we left. I’m still waiting for it in puglia. I’m big and fat and have had hell finding any clothes that fit. Great trip but sucks dick not having any of my shit. I fucking hate Lufthansa and their baggage delivery company more.

While I didn't have a good trip in June (long story, don't travel with elderly in-laws is the takeaway), I am glad that we had pleasant flight experiences.  ITA Airways on the way back from Rome to Boston in premium economy was really nice.  Better than Delta premium economy on the way over.

26 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

So uh, the Italian government is freaking out right now.  Hope that isn't a long term issue.

Yeah, they do that every-once-in-a-while.  It's an "always" issue.  Are you worried about it impacting part of your trip?

36 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

What’s going on? I’m over here now and haven’t noticed anything different. Hopefully stays that way til we head back to Rome and fly out next week.

a tourist fell into vesuvius, sorrento banned topless tourists, and draghi tried to resign.  not sure which is more important.  tourist lived. 

Edited by elfenix

17 hours ago, elfenix said:

a tourist fell into vesuvius, sorrento banned topless tourists, and draghi tried to resign.  not sure which is more important.  tourist lived. 

At least the tourist was taking a selfie so that should be moved over to the "positive news" column.

On a fun note, RyanAir on strike on Sunday, the 17th:

https://www.ecodibergamo.it/stories/Cronaca/confermato-lo-sciopero-di-ryanair-in-italia-per-domenica-17-luglio-i-consumator_1433683_11/

Taxi strikes also spreading in Italy although we didn't see any issues as recently as the 13th while in Bologna.  Not sure how this evolves.  In part, taxis are pissed about Uber but aren't they always?

https://www.today.it/attualita/sciopero-estremo-dei-taxi-ormai-sono-introvabili-in-tutta-italia.html

17 minutes ago, sidis said:

Leaving tuesday on Delta from AUS to ATL to MXP.  Car from Malpensa to Tremezzo...

Here's hoping all the luggage makes it.  I feel a little better that we don't have a european stop on the way but I'm mentally handicapping it at 50/50 so planning accordingly.

staying here: https://www.grandhoteltremezzo.com/en/home/

That's a big baller hotel.  Well done.  The bar across the street on the lake is lovely.

On 7/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, sidis said:

Leaving tuesday on Delta from AUS to ATL to MXP.  Car from Malpensa to Tremezzo...

Here's hoping all the luggage makes it.  I feel a little better that we don't have a european stop on the way but I'm mentally handicapping it at 50/50 so planning accordingly.

staying here: https://www.grandhoteltremezzo.com/en/home/

I stayed at the GT last October after 10 days in Monforte. Pretty tough to beat the balcony views.

Highly recommend renting a boat to spend your day driving up and down Lake Como. If you don’t have dinner plans, the Rabbit and Polenta at Fagurida are excellent.

9AB6D6F7-BF27-48E9-9265-50FF1FB45D6A.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I stayed at the GT last October after 10 days in Monforte. Pretty tough to beat the balcony views.

Highly recommend renting a boat to spend your day driving up and down Lake Como. If you don’t have dinner plans, the Rabbit and Polenta at Fagurida are excellent.

9AB6D6F7-BF27-48E9-9265-50FF1FB45D6A.jpeg

thanks.  have a boat lined up for three of the days we are there.  we did one day on our last trip and it just wasn't enough.  will check out fagurida.  we have reservations at kitchen in como for dinner one night, and then i grabbed a car to drive to brusaporto to eat at da vittorio again (my wife's favorite).  can't wait.  only thing that sucks is this fucking heat wave timing.  was looking forward to getting the fuck out of the austin heat and hit some highs in the 80s.  looks like that isn't happening and it's going to top out in 90's.  

Found a small agriturismo in the hills past Riolo Terme in Emilia Romagna... 2 bedroom apartment (they had 10 apartments total) with an exceptional restaurant, a pool, hot tub and this view.  Was about 180 Euro a night for four of us.  Set in the middle of a Regional Park (akin to a state park) with lots of hiking and easy access to wineries and views for miles... ahem... kilometers.

PD6VQVXFTzjf7D28Kkmuerc-RS7uASJM_MJb8xXSBBCVWLPyfCt7NNnzgaPjqeS38dV24XQuEzchiEXIG9ecZRX88pjlD7POAcvlsOY66qOsCZ9v2PVpo8Hqe0JLUfmVlmRwHcULZYrggjaaOZxFWPL_OXzXlT3zanfyR0TB9yzF7i6jg7Qx0RhLj75zL8bWcs0b5f38g3wSEEr_s3qbUVpVyfFEtsgxjjfapgOjm1dffVkHOlJmblrE4a-ZxQ5xI8iZRDIQVe2jvZJ3IeQzwUuvTn4Oj-RWSoZGhVOu1JodN8Mpu_07L7W_HRhVXhLnVB3ck9H2828qeFmWuqQo18o8mULsO0q3HS7KjNGO8o8yPKbS5gR4_vxcua1jd1c5TKG3G2KnblEUASNCpIwQe3-LxWd200B5ZstO2YOE0qq5ajqE1P3t_t25RVftZcMtbmqSQUZg_OJ2FKbu-yOobgMRgUBiHZeSeG1Su7T3M0qQEykYgk4TokheApX5-ZcHmPyxXDjs7KutFXpuVhoVnNYrjpDXtWV8wAV90JU-JCge2GvXmg9R_XY8-j3shoShxU3fMm-w-NfJ-Tm7M1xl1NyBzxtvMEwV9AwksiTyqYknuKNqahyCQ-Tnho3D6BwZIOWNJ3tkV9sd57xw6jpdu_NKiWkFzyAdqKokT0Tj0RfiYsjKFiSvQ8k4oszvalPs4efsNjDZgdbVtN_uF8KUeaF-hTURfq_sdHp3vtgsZLLG9qEwXRbSvZ4HxjIxN-Q=w1605-h903-no?authuser=0

mrJBLALfs5nG1JKRHLmA1ZsaEaUlI0yGE4BRyhqbkkCsMouoVrl8Vo1yI2MhfGeTVdM7QV1Om2NaJlu2jA_r32v__7wrWegpIRCNVVpqh_J_q9mX1QoCudfokxwAavkDIVDQIaEFOKOyVGS3iQ2NBjTAm2sdUDCVlat6xF_a3QKQ_716oMrKthan-_96yGLXP0ZiMylk6c_9AuP524Xb-ofwQOnRhg1JHn03aRL1e7lOfZbtoyzT6LREq6seWgPH1uNGPjhwc7blMOq5WHdavj9EInmVeadEGedt5zYgJmaEbWX6lqk_NnHRmCTGD-jFbXkEtCew2pMhN-9o53dxkpCN-25IJG_xS3djxrA6vez_73XwiNQpXYZ6VvukKczYA8apRqq-z8mIoNSfbb7yApRuN5aZ6qldwZ98rIu7-TtoC9di6rnuMMr5e065Vdr3Vlfy8n_DnpA74oHeHOqbVjabGQp8YYtH3TgzpXklfOwurQjSRxd8v6I1pIM6cenW3ubzT3hsSKA8On2Mw9UR1wwOzBF_guwO9joKxEs30gVMalWK6zk3t92m0xr_tztE6rR6Edms6REKqvzJbiLNza7R5KL7UaUaTw3unVwj3w6vLTT6lK9fAXgKrohOlpCN9Ww1PbBoO8uDRL6dNPWFl9Q7SOS8thbKiX3x6MRlvk8VcOI03PZ-9HzPqRGI0OpaSqdkGcrnTXYiUVv6guJyD4dXtzdgPyxQWBaMAGNO9F9nHA1v9ZfbROJUGN7Wjyk=w1605-h903-no?authuser=0

PCBIhE0YM-8F33Oi_ZFlkS188zo4yQ2xja0UunlMOeHgquAzoWI5fpFqFrcDTQuycxQpX7qTPQuAsyOxu2TuwH0x5-w-Oz2Z5YwVpFII3E-8ApWC209VJbxjvOJrJbptky3yDblrF8iXC6yp9RsNDuQP7AtPEZGsIjLrAtCgqH0HlBkKi4V9hK1puG618T_7JnZDyjEhJnyGmFCV6RUn7wdtFhSJ8uZn3tZFYlZLajWneIR5zobmFGUJKzUD7RQHVWTpeAm1huCzlQxaRn0zZ0Zmli7TlUWPLiPVHPn8pTn6v90xZAFXYQcMSgFiPVjkJmmdKHz5Prl-eKXfXci0arn6naxFGlllagS2O6gSMini4eCQclljVANIq9WblTe51BTiAeccjxJcXmfB1itxYSD4gRZU6dD4pvtWSsMQcfk2DUziuEmSN4RXYnfgWjeToEVozvGDaOgXqL-hfpLpWX3EEAIhJGZRtwGkb9IYsJqhdDPyhbTJT-IOPHw0JsspDnAp_Z9HOtTWRhJIHQiLRbUcQn4BulDUVY3yCslZvC9GNtp1Psg7WUXMkG5dJzdVlpmilLQ4y8_Nh2kz3tFqbiYEu0I04RawqjYynFJkgdr3_TJHFNr9Bn9HjZG-cl5EVMm3Wz9NO2TCeeXJA5940WrSsg8l7EgJs822mYn3CQNYPaKEAE-FnH-kl3sNci-Z-7N-6vJ7bSCjrQwhIzyfsuGK6tNelmmN-MxJzoxSMAhUoBlpxFO4Unjc5X27KK4=w1605-h903-no?authuser=0

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Found a small agriturismo in the hills past Riolo Terme in Emilia Romagna... 2 bedroom apartment (they had 10 apartments total) with an exceptional restaurant, a pool, hot tub and this view.  Was about 180 Euro a night for four of us.  Set in the middle of a Regional Park (akin to a state park) with lots of hiking and easy access to wineries and views for miles... ahem... kilometers.

PD6VQVXFTzjf7D28Kkmuerc-RS7uASJM_MJb8xXSBBCVWLPyfCt7NNnzgaPjqeS38dV24XQuEzchiEXIG9ecZRX88pjlD7POAcvlsOY66qOsCZ9v2PVpo8Hqe0JLUfmVlmRwHcULZYrggjaaOZxFWPL_OXzXlT3zanfyR0TB9yzF7i6jg7Qx0RhLj75zL8bWcs0b5f38g3wSEEr_s3qbUVpVyfFEtsgxjjfapgOjm1dffVkHOlJmblrE4a-ZxQ5xI8iZRDIQVe2jvZJ3IeQzwUuvTn4Oj-RWSoZGhVOu1JodN8Mpu_07L7W_HRhVXhLnVB3ck9H2828qeFmWuqQo18o8mULsO0q3HS7KjNGO8o8yPKbS5gR4_vxcua1jd1c5TKG3G2KnblEUASNCpIwQe3-LxWd200B5ZstO2YOE0qq5ajqE1P3t_t25RVftZcMtbmqSQUZg_OJ2FKbu-yOobgMRgUBiHZeSeG1Su7T3M0qQEykYgk4TokheApX5-ZcHmPyxXDjs7KutFXpuVhoVnNYrjpDXtWV8wAV90JU-JCge2GvXmg9R_XY8-j3shoShxU3fMm-w-NfJ-Tm7M1xl1NyBzxtvMEwV9AwksiTyqYknuKNqahyCQ-Tnho3D6BwZIOWNJ3tkV9sd57xw6jpdu_NKiWkFzyAdqKokT0Tj0RfiYsjKFiSvQ8k4oszvalPs4efsNjDZgdbVtN_uF8KUeaF-hTURfq_sdHp3vtgsZLLG9qEwXRbSvZ4HxjIxN-Q=w1605-h903-no?authuser=0

mrJBLALfs5nG1JKRHLmA1ZsaEaUlI0yGE4BRyhqbkkCsMouoVrl8Vo1yI2MhfGeTVdM7QV1Om2NaJlu2jA_r32v__7wrWegpIRCNVVpqh_J_q9mX1QoCudfokxwAavkDIVDQIaEFOKOyVGS3iQ2NBjTAm2sdUDCVlat6xF_a3QKQ_716oMrKthan-_96yGLXP0ZiMylk6c_9AuP524Xb-ofwQOnRhg1JHn03aRL1e7lOfZbtoyzT6LREq6seWgPH1uNGPjhwc7blMOq5WHdavj9EInmVeadEGedt5zYgJmaEbWX6lqk_NnHRmCTGD-jFbXkEtCew2pMhN-9o53dxkpCN-25IJG_xS3djxrA6vez_73XwiNQpXYZ6VvukKczYA8apRqq-z8mIoNSfbb7yApRuN5aZ6qldwZ98rIu7-TtoC9di6rnuMMr5e065Vdr3Vlfy8n_DnpA74oHeHOqbVjabGQp8YYtH3TgzpXklfOwurQjSRxd8v6I1pIM6cenW3ubzT3hsSKA8On2Mw9UR1wwOzBF_guwO9joKxEs30gVMalWK6zk3t92m0xr_tztE6rR6Edms6REKqvzJbiLNza7R5KL7UaUaTw3unVwj3w6vLTT6lK9fAXgKrohOlpCN9Ww1PbBoO8uDRL6dNPWFl9Q7SOS8thbKiX3x6MRlvk8VcOI03PZ-9HzPqRGI0OpaSqdkGcrnTXYiUVv6guJyD4dXtzdgPyxQWBaMAGNO9F9nHA1v9ZfbROJUGN7Wjyk=w1605-h903-no?authuser=0

PCBIhE0YM-8F33Oi_ZFlkS188zo4yQ2xja0UunlMOeHgquAzoWI5fpFqFrcDTQuycxQpX7qTPQuAsyOxu2TuwH0x5-w-Oz2Z5YwVpFII3E-8ApWC209VJbxjvOJrJbptky3yDblrF8iXC6yp9RsNDuQP7AtPEZGsIjLrAtCgqH0HlBkKi4V9hK1puG618T_7JnZDyjEhJnyGmFCV6RUn7wdtFhSJ8uZn3tZFYlZLajWneIR5zobmFGUJKzUD7RQHVWTpeAm1huCzlQxaRn0zZ0Zmli7TlUWPLiPVHPn8pTn6v90xZAFXYQcMSgFiPVjkJmmdKHz5Prl-eKXfXci0arn6naxFGlllagS2O6gSMini4eCQclljVANIq9WblTe51BTiAeccjxJcXmfB1itxYSD4gRZU6dD4pvtWSsMQcfk2DUziuEmSN4RXYnfgWjeToEVozvGDaOgXqL-hfpLpWX3EEAIhJGZRtwGkb9IYsJqhdDPyhbTJT-IOPHw0JsspDnAp_Z9HOtTWRhJIHQiLRbUcQn4BulDUVY3yCslZvC9GNtp1Psg7WUXMkG5dJzdVlpmilLQ4y8_Nh2kz3tFqbiYEu0I04RawqjYynFJkgdr3_TJHFNr9Bn9HjZG-cl5EVMm3Wz9NO2TCeeXJA5940WrSsg8l7EgJs822mYn3CQNYPaKEAE-FnH-kl3sNci-Z-7N-6vJ7bSCjrQwhIzyfsuGK6tNelmmN-MxJzoxSMAhUoBlpxFO4Unjc5X27KK4=w1605-h903-no?authuser=0

Very nice.  Name?

Made a trip to Italy back in early May and absolutely loved it. Started in Naples, few nights in Amalfi, few nights in Siena, then ended with a night in Rome. Amalfi was great, especially in early May as the weather is warm but not blistering hot and it wasn’t overly crowded. The highlight of the trip was by far Siena. Very beautiful medieval city with a beautiful town square. For anyone interested, I’ve attached the link to the Airbnb we stayed at just outside of Siena. Spectacular villa on a vineyard that is family owned and operated. Highly recommend as they offer activities like tastings and a freshly made dinner that kicked ass! I will say that I was quite disappointed with Rome and don’t see myself returning there anytime soon. Hook ‘Em🤘🏼

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3682863?adults=10&check_in=2022-10-15&check_out=2022-10-18&federated_search_id=af579133-9501-421c-8116-34a95dd07176&source_impression_id=p3_1658355549_mMQVXi564KKsUBPp

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

The highlight of the trip was by far Siena. Very beautiful medieval city with a beautiful town square.

I went to Italy for the first time in 2004, and we hit Florence, Sienna, Rome, and the Amalfi Coast.  I loved Sienna, more than Florence.  I'd love to go back.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Vertuzzi said:

Made a trip to Italy back in early May and absolutely loved it. Started in Naples, few nights in Amalfi, few nights in Siena, then ended with a night in Rome. Amalfi was great, especially in early May as the weather is warm but not blistering hot and it wasn’t overly crowded. The highlight of the trip was by far Siena. Very beautiful medieval city with a beautiful town square. For anyone interested, I’ve attached the link to the Airbnb we stayed at just outside of Siena. Spectacular villa on a vineyard that is family owned and operated. Highly recommend as they offer activities like tastings and a freshly made dinner that kicked ass! I will say that I was quite disappointed with Rome and don’t see myself returning there anytime soon. Hook ‘Em🤘🏼

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3682863?adults=10&check_in=2022-10-15&check_out=2022-10-18&federated_search_id=af579133-9501-421c-8116-34a95dd07176&source_impression_id=p3_1658355549_mMQVXi564KKsUBPp

I just saved that.  Looks amazing. Been wanting to do a family holiday.  

17 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I just saved that.  Looks amazing. Been wanting to do a family holiday.  

It was awesome. Beautiful property not too far from Siena. Probably a 10 minute taxi ride. We added on a wine tasting, dinner, and horseback riding and all were really great. The wine was fantastic and they even have a warehouse in California so shipping costs aren’t expensive if you want to purchase a case. The dinner was great and included the owner, Alessandro, providing a history of the property. His family purchased the vineyard back in the 1750-1760s. The horseback riding was great as they took us through the grapevines and the rolling fields. A very pleasant way to start your day.

• Like 1

Very cool

https://www.frommers.com/blogs/passportable/blog_posts/new-high-speed-rail-service-connecting-rome-s-airport-with-florence-and-naples

here's a sample

New high-speed rail options between Rome's Fiumicino Airport (FCO) and the cities of Florence and Naples launched last week, giving travelers fresh, zippy reasons not to rent cars or mess with extra flights while visiting Italy. 

Offered by state-run rail operator Trenitalia, the three new Frecciarossa routes directly connect the Roman hub—officially known as Leonardo da Vinci International Airport—with the stations Napoli Centrale, Napoli Afragola, and Florence Santa Maria Novella. 

Traveling at a lightning-fast 300km per hour (186 mph), Frecciarossa trains can get you from Fiumicino to Naples in under two hours with no train changes, so you can get started on seeing that city and nearby attractions such as Pompeii (also easily reached by train) and the Amalfi Coast. For the latter, take the train to Sorrento and then see the coast by bus or ferry—new driving restrictions there aim to curtail rental car traffic.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/14/2022 at 3:54 PM, elfenix said:

He was from Baltimore. He can only die if he's shot or falls into the Inner Harbor

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KingBobo81 said:

Headed up there on Friday for 10 days! Bologna (with day trip to Verona) - Modena - Como.

Excellent... let me know if you need any ideas around Bologna/Modena.  

If you are into cars, everyone knows about Ferrari but this is a great hidden museum:

https://www.paninimotormuseum.it/

Private collection of Umberto Panini (yes, like the stickers).  Its free.

Another hidden gem is here:

https://giacobazzivini.com/

https://giacobazzivini.com/visita-cantina/

Looks like they've changed things up a bit... when we went, the kids were small and we had a private showing of the museum.  We went to a private room that included the Villeneuve car but also the "other" Ayrton Senna Williams car... you know, the one that didn't kill him.

Also, super easy to hit up the Ducati factory from Bologna.  If you go to Borgo Panigale and are there around dinnertime, you should hit up http://www.chioscoaipini.it/ 

IMG_4397.JPG

IMG_4399.JPG

IMG_4401.JPG

One month starting mid-October. Airbnb in one place in Italy. Work remotely on Mon-Wed. Thurs-Sun free to do whatever.

Where should that place be?

Never been to Italy. I like the thought of staying in a picturesque village and taking a train to the big cities on the weekends. But can also see doing the opposite, staying in Rome and venturing out to the countrysides on a weekend or two.

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

One month starting mid-October. Airbnb in one place in Italy. Work remotely on Mon-Wed. Thurs-Sun free to do whatever.

Where should that place be?

Never been to Italy. I like the thought of staying in a picturesque village and taking a train to the big cities on the weekends. But can also see doing the opposite, staying in Rome and venturing out to the countrysides on a weekend or two.

Man.  So many good options that time of year.  Personally, I'd probably choose Tuscany.  Training or driving distance to Florence and Rome, plus all the other towns in the vicinity.  

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Man.  So many good options that time of year.  Personally, I'd probably choose Tuscany.  Training or driving distance to Florence and Rome, plus all the other towns in the vicinity.  

I think that is what I am leaning to. Fly into Rome. Stay there for the weekend. Then stay in Tuscany for the remainder. So the question would be what town in Tuscany.

17 hours ago, KingBobo81 said:

601b8d16eb422de1b6f8f4319a553cde.jpg

I climbed the Asinelli Tower in Bologna to get a nice view of the city shortly before sunset tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice and good for you... hope you're eating well (actually you would have to try hard not to eat well)

On 7/30/2022 at 1:15 PM, po elvis said:

I think that is what I am leaning to. Fly into Rome. Stay there for the weekend. Then stay in Tuscany for the remainder. So the question would be what town in Tuscany.

How long will you be doing this.  I mean, you could pick a town like Verona which should have good rail connections to Lake Garda, Padova, Mantova, Brescia, Venice, up into the Dolomiti, etc.  That time of the year there will be fewer tourists.  You could also look at Palermo and then you can have access to a whole host of beaches.  You may want a car occasionally though in either of those places so you can visit smaller towns, wineries, etc.  Or Lufthansa has flights (in theory) to Ancona and you can then be near the towns under Monte Conero and lots of cool towns in Le Marche.  Great food, great wine, exceptional prices.