Why we lost (or why OU won)

Goredho

7 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

true dat, but don't tell that fat bastard in Kansas

You think he didn't know? Hell, he was bitching about it in the post-game press conference meltdown he had. I mean, it was a totally fair call... but he's absolutely right that it doesn't get called almost all of the time.

And then, going back the other way, there's Grant Teaff's swan song and some of the bulshittery during that game that went against us. Shit happens. Sometimes you've got that BCS/NCAA Final Four money to consider, sometimes you gotta send out a Big Kahuna on a high note...

6 hours ago, Mileslong said:

There Is no evidence to support that. Bottom line, UT was called for the most penalty yardage in big 12 history and tied for most number of penalties. That’s bullshit

Tom ain't much of a discipline daddy.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, Colt Appleyoung said:

House money!  If the dawgs curb stomp Texas , everyone is like “Texas was bad anyways look at all those losses” and if Texas wins it will be the most relevant thing they’ve done since Vince!

Compared to all that relevant shit UGA's done since the end of WW2. That one natty you got nearly 40 years ago? Or does regularly shitting the bed against Bama count as relevant?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Compared to all that relevant shit UGA's done since the end of WW2. That one natty you got nearly 40 years ago? Or does regularly shitting the bed against Bama count as relevant?

Irish and a Texan, holy moly you gotta have anger issues.  Texas is our chance to show the committee how Gd dumb they are for picking any big12 team over us, don’t count on a sleeping Dawg.

• Fuck You 3

Just now, Colt Appleyoung said:

Irish and a Texan, holy moly you gotta have anger issues.  Texas is our chance to show the committee how Gd dumb they are for picking any big12 team over us, don’t count on a sleeping Dawg.

You're right. We have nothing to lose. Which must suck for you. Sorry your season was a disappointment and that you can't beat Alabama. 

Just now, irishtexan said:

You're right. We have nothing to lose. Which must suck for you. Sorry your season was a disappointment and that you can't beat Alabama. 

I love the position Texas is in, embrace that !  Depth is going to be an issue for you.  We got five stars who sub in to replace our five stars.  Herman will get you back, just not this time..

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I mean, discipline got us conference history in terms of penalty yards and penalties called against us.

Attention to detail got us constant delays of game after a possession change or to start the fucking game.

Some of the penalties were just boneheaded players doing boneheaded things. Hager's facemask and Boyd's penalties, for example.

Obviously there are a couple recurring issues (delay of game after change of possession) that need to be addressed. But I don't think Herman is just letting the players go wild, wild West during practice.

22 minutes ago, Colt Appleyoung said:

Why in the fuck all would the committee choose Georgia to play a team in the playoff they had just lost to in their previous game?

You just had your shot for a playoff spot this weekend.  You failed.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Penalties took away two TDs, OU’s defense is no better now than with stoops

Penalties took away only 1 TD. Johnson dropped the ball immediately after he hit the ground, but the ref didn’t have the angle to see it even though the OU DB’s were pointing to it as it rolled away from everyone. The ref with the better angle came in and waved it off. Still a bullshit call but it wasn’t going to be a TD.

Edited by Helobious

3 hours ago, Colt Appleyoung said:

House money!  If the dawgs curb stomp Texas , everyone is like “Texas was bad anyways look at all those losses” and if Texas wins it will be the most relevant thing they’ve done since Vince!

No that is not how house money works. If we had won then we could say "we won the Big 12 Championship! This season is a success regardless of what happens against Georgia!" That would be house money. Now if we lose we had a five loss season and that would kind of suck.

But maybe we win, that would be cool.

13 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

No that is not how house money works. If we had won then we could say "we won the Big 12 Championship! This season is a success regardless of what happens against Georgia!" That would be house money. Now if we lose we had a five loss season and that would kind of suck.

But maybe we win, that would be cool.

A five loss season that includes a loss in the Conference Championship Game and to what is ostensibly the third ranked team in the country in a NYD/former BCS bowl still would not 'kind of suck", as it would exceed nearly everyone's expectations. Particularly after game two. This season has met or exceeded expectations by any reasonable metric.

That being said, hope we get some of that Tom Herman underdog magic and we go out and skullfuck Georgia.

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

A five loss season that includes a loss in the Conference Championship Game and to what is ostensibly the third ranked team in the country in a NYD/former BCS bowl still would not 'kind of suck", as it would exceed nearly everyone's expectations. Particularly after game two. This season has met or exceeded expectations by any reasonable metric.

Well I disagree. Context matters. When you start 6-1, finishing 3-4 where your record against teams  .500 and above is 1-4 is not great. We had an opportunity to do something special and we still can, but five losses was my minimum expectation at the start of the season. So yeah, thinking we had turned the corner and were about to kick ass only to sink back into mediocrity again does 'kind of suck'. 

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Helobious said:

Penalties took away only 1 TD. Johnson dropped the ball immediately after he hit the ground, but the ref didn’t have the angle to see it even though the OU DB’s were pointing to it as it rolled away from everyone. The ref with the better angle came in and waved it off. Still a bullshit call but it wasn’t going to be a TD.

Plus we were also flagged for illegal shift on that play. So even if the OPI wasn't called, and even if CJ caught it... still no TD. 

Edited by TexasPride10
typo

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Well I disagree. Context matters. When you start 6-1, finishing 3-4 where your record against teams  .500 and above is 1-4 is not great. We had an opportunity to do something special and we still can, but five losses was my minimum expectation at the start of the season. So yeah, thinking we had turned the corner and were about to kick ass only to sink back into mediocrity again does 'kind of suck'. 

Your expectations are unreasonable

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Your expectations are unreasonable

I know it is not fair, but when you play games with higher stakes the games mean more and the losses are more disappointing.

And there is certainly no guarantee that Texas will be better next season so it is not even necessarily true that this is obviously some sort of breakout year. We are going to lose lots of starters. Now I hope that things just keep going up from here, of course, and that we do look back at 2018 as a stepping stone rather than a time we fell short. But the jury is still out on that.

But hey, if they beat Georgia that changes the whole complexion. A ten win season with a victory over a top team? That would be something to hang our hats on.

22 hours ago, Colt Appleyoung said:

I love the position Texas is in, embrace that !  Depth is going to be an issue for you.  We got five stars who sub in to replace our five stars.  Herman will get you back, just not this time..

you've signed 9 five stars total in the past 4 classes.  you won't be subbing in any 5 stars to replace 5 stars, but thanks for the overexaggeration.

MensaTom said on several occasions prior to the season that our 1's are as good enough to hang with anybody, but our depth was pretty weak. I think we saw that play out, and seemed to be at least part of the late-game problems we had the whole season.

My prediction was 10-2 +/-2 for the regular season, and 9-3 is acceptable, especially considering that the three losses were by 5,3, and 1 points. One play in each loss.  

I'll take it.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:42 AM, Richter said:

Well, this doesn't have to do specifically with that one game but I think if Malik, DeShon, Conner, and (in a perfect world) Hill had been back this year, a Big 12 championship would have happened.  Yeah, yeah, if's and but's...

Don't forget Dickson.  If those guys could see into the future and past the worst strech of UT football ever, and had they all seen the possibility of the offense doing a complete 180, we would be in the playoffs.  Losing 5 NFL starters hurts any team.  Losing 5 NFL starters early just sucks.