Why we lost (or why OU won)

Goredho

This should help with the hangover

44bf5bee629dc294b34378dbf5469c46.jpg

I hope he stays....and mom looks hot. That said, we need to recruit top O-line and D-line talent. That’s been a problem for a decade now. Average line play yesterday could have overcome the Big 12s shitty refs. Also, we need to recruit blue chip RBs. Stockpile them like the SEC teams.

14 hours ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Offense scored net 25 points against a defense that gave up 40 to Kansas.  Scored on only 4 of 11 possessions.  Fail.  

The lack of half time adjustments to ou's three lbs was pathetic.  Our d did enough to win this game. Yet idiots on this board want Orlando's scalp.  Remember what ou did to Georgia's D last year?  They will ring up some points against bama but no one will want bama to fire their D coordinator 

• Like 1

Football is entertainment. The impresarios who run the shows set the matchups, at every level. Big 12 officials knew full well that Oklahoma is/was their only shot at the Final Four, so there was never any doubt that the officiating would be slanted toward making that happen. Most of our penalties were deserved, although all of us can point out the couple of bullshit calls, but the real slant was the Oklahoma was allowed to hold on both sides of the ball, with never a call.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Snacks said:

We're back to competing. That's it. That's positive.

But we are an OL and and defensive front from back.

That's a good take.

I pretty much see it the same way.  We have to get control of the LOS before we run with the big dogs. 

The rather blatant (as in, easily visible in real time) lack of a procedure call on OU’s 4th-and-1 conersion didn’t help us. Maybe they go for it from five yards farther out and still end up with a TD anyway, but it well could have ended the possession. Same with the last OU TD pass with only six men on the line of scrimmage. They probably score anyway, but just call the basic infractions every time and live with the results.

All that said, I look forward to the day we have more solid OL and DL play all game every game. That will take more talent and depth than we’ve had lately, but we’re moving in the right direction. Upgrading from several upperclassmen in the secondary also will be critical. Guys like Boyd, Davis and Locke still can’t cover decent receivers, and especially not with a 3-man rush. 

• Like 1

Offense in game play calling and adjustments suck. ou off line pretty good. We played the run good, but had no answer for their pass game. No "exotic blitzes" to neutralize it.

Refs sucked as usual. Don't like to use as excuse, but damn it would be nice if they were consistent.

eff ousux!

After a little time to reflect, I think a big reason we lost is because the defensive scheme we deployed worked fairly well but it had the unintended result of turning OU's offense into what we were hoping to be.

I think the three man fronts/lack of pressure was by design, we wanted to stop the run and keep the midget from ripping off 60 yard runs by making the edge rushers occupy their defenders and not get behind Murray. This made OU drive the feild, thus chewing up more clock than they normally would with their usual explosive plays.  The more they held the ball, the less time we had to answer. OU never wins time of possession, but they did yesterday.

It's very counterintuitive and I'm afraid mensa Herman/Orlando would never concede that a more aggressive D, even if it meant giving up the big play-quicker score, would have been a better option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Colin Johnson got called for less at the end of the first

Yeah, both times it was minor handfighting, and both times it got called on our guys. Meanwhile, they mugged our WRs all fucking day and were only called for obvious shit. I don't necessarily think it cost us the game, because we could've & should've still won, but it sure didn't help getting a 21-3 taken away on a pure BS call.

19 hours ago, Xian said:

Refs fucked us in 

We were headed for a score when that PI non-call fucked us big time.

The penalties were the biggest problem and likely conference-influenced to get OU into the final four.

The play calling was mediocre.

Our O-Line ain't there yet.

When we blitzed, the results were largely good. Should have done it more. We saw Murray make some bad throws with only mild pressure. More blitzing would have created more uncertainty. OU blitzed the shit outta us. Hope we can unload both Beck and Orlando.

• Like 1

Not saying the officiating was the difference in getting a W or L, but in my mind it definitely affected the final score. Watching the rerun on TV this morning just confirmed my suspicions on a couple of the calls.

Doesn't matter now though, what will is seeing that little pussy take another L in the CFB playoffs.

it was a business decision by the big 12.  OU winning and making the playoff is a huge net profit for the conference.  UT is neutral aside from the intangibles of recruiting as it would have the same bowl game win or lose.  So, it was an easy business decision to assure an ou big 12 championship.  Everyone else moves up a notch = more money.  the big 12 has always been about the money

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Just got back into Austin. Haven't read Surly at all since the game. My take, for what it is worth, after seeing it live:

1.) We lost the line of scrimmage. We couldn't really establish the run, they pressured Sam a fair amount, we had zero pass rush, and while we defended the run well most of the game, we couldn't stop it when we absolutely needed to on their six minute closeout drive.

2.) We are just a dumb fucking team from the top down. It was telling when they showed the Academic All Conference selections from each B12 team on the jerrytron and we had very, very few contributors on the list. I can't even count the stupid/ sloppy mistakes. How many times did we give ourselves 1st and 15? We were constantly out of position and conceding the edge on OU's predictable bubble screens as if we'd never fucking seen one before. 13 games in and our DBs still have no ball skills and therefore draw flags, and no one on the defense understands angles. Hegar and Boyd, who should be senior leaders, both committed mind-numbingly stupid penalties that really hurt us. That we could just whiff on a corner blitz on our own two is equally stunning. Honestly, I was shocked at how generally unprepared this team looked. Add to that the complete dumbfuckery at the end of the first half and this was a really, really bad game for the coaching staff.

3.) The officiating was putrid. It was clear they wanted one team to win. Yes, it went both ways to an extent - the crew was laughably incompetent. And yes, the majority of our penalties were deserved. OU was clearly playing under a different set of rules, though. They were given free reign to do the things we consistently drew flags for. I criticized the coaching staff above but I don't know what a coach is supposed to tell his guys to keep them motivated and believing when it is pretty obviously not a level playing field. I'm not sure Texas played well enough to win if that is removed but that shit definitely wears on you over the course of a game.

This. Officiating was bad, but a good team should not put itself in the position to lose because of zebras. No doubt the XII wanted OU to make the final four, but we got beat in the trenches.

The number one reason we lost this game was because we did not go for it on 4th and 11 or whatever with a minute something left in the first half at their 40.

You can't afford to make such coaching mistakes in games like this. This was an unbelievably good situation to go for it. Number one, we are actually good at that situation with LJH and CJ and Sam. I think it is a 50% chance of converting. But to really understand why it is a must go for it situation is to realize the reward you get for making it. Not only do you get a chance to score a field goal or more likely a touchdown the way our offense is against their defense, but you keep OU from having a chance to score at the end of the half. The fact that they get the ball first in the second half even makes it more important to keep them from scoring. So this wasn't your normal go for it on 4th down and maybe we can score situation. This was a 2-score decision. This was giving us a scoring chance near the red zone and taking away a scoring chance from OU. This was frickin huge. This was us possibly going into halftime up 21-10 versus OU winning 20-14. I mean this was huge.

The reason you would not go for it is because the risk is too big (even though the reward as I discussed is so high). But the risk really is only giving OU like 20 extra yards of field position. In this day and age, with over a minute left on the clock, with their type offense, 20 yards is nothing. That is one 20 yard pass. You are not giving them an appreciably greater chance of scoring by giving the ball at the 40 as opposed as the 20, especially with their offense. If you are playing Iowa State, then yes, there is a greater chance they score from the 40 than the 20.

But having said all that, I get why Herman did not go for it. This is a high pressure job with all of us on every decision. The old school thinking is you punt on 4th and 11. Imagine he went for it and didn't make it and OU goes down and scores a TD. He would catch so much shit even though it was 100% the correct decision. There would have been no way for us to know that OU would have scored the TD even if he punted. But to be a great coach, he needs to get past doing the "safe" thing for the optics for our fans. Especially when the "safe" thing when you really look at risk and reward is really the riskiest thing you can do. Giving OU the ball with over a minute on the clock is just a risk you don't want to take if you don't have to.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The lack of a running game cost us this game.

We need better run blocking but more importantly, we need a stud running back.

Ingram is fine but not the answer.

True freshman, injured, worn down Ingram is not the answer. The October version of Ingram was more than good enough.

Sophomore or junior Ingram will be more than good enough to be the lead back on a Big 12 title-winning team.

It starts with the guys up front. Our interior O-line was barely serviceable this season, and we have to upgrade there.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Richter said:

Well, this doesn't have to do specifically with that one game but I think if Malik, DeShon, Conner, and (in a perfect world) Hill had been back this year, a Big 12 championship would have happened.  Yeah, yeah, if's and but's...

Agreed. Pretty sad to see them all go to the NFL and not look ready too, they took some bad advice and it showed on their draft stock. On the bright side, the super young DBs got a ton of experience.

Connor probably went about where he was supposed to, plus he went to his dream team so I understand him leaving. Malik did o.k. for himself but maybe could've been a late day 1 guy this year, I don't think he's been playing much, and got sent to a shitty team in a shitty city.

DeShon and Holton were self-centered idiots. 

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/18/deshon-elliott-delivers-blistering-rebuke-of-texas-coaching-staff-in-twitter-tongue-lashing/

These quotes in this article of the shit he talked on twitter were hilarious. All probably based on bullshit rumors, made himself out to be an ass.

Holton didn't even get drafted, but is turning out to be doing better in the NFL if he can keep from getting popped for smoking weed.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

True freshman, injured, worn down Ingram is not the answer. The October version of Ingram was more than good enough.

Sophomore or junior Ingram will be more than good enough to be the lead back on a Big 12 title-winning team.

It starts with the guys up front. Our interior O-line was barely serviceable this season, and we have to upgrade there.

Yup. Hope TH can build the team from the trenches out like he has been talking about. Got the Xs and Os, just need the Jimmies and the Joes.

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

The number one reason we lost this game was because we did not go for it on 4th and 11 or whatever with a minute something left in the first half at their 40.

You can't afford to make such coaching mistakes in games like this. This was an unbelievably good situation to go for it. Number one, we are actually good at that situation with LJH and CJ and Sam. I think it is a 50% chance of converting. But to really understand why it is a must go for it situation is to realize the reward you get for making it. Not only do you get a chance to score a field goal or more likely a touchdown the way our offense is against their defense, but you keep OU from having a chance to score at the end of the half. The fact that they get the ball first in the second half even makes it more important to keep them from scoring. So this wasn't your normal go for it on 4th down and maybe we can score situation. This was a 2-score decision. This was giving us a scoring chance near the red zone and taking away a scoring chance from OU. This was frickin huge. This was us possibly going into halftime up 21-10 versus OU winning 20-14. I mean this was huge.

The reason you would not go for it is because the risk is too big (even though the reward as I discussed is so high). But the risk really is only giving OU like 20 extra yards of field position. In this day and age, with over a minute left on the clock, with their type offense, 20 yards is nothing. That is one 20 yard pass. You are not giving them an appreciably greater chance of scoring by giving the ball at the 40 as opposed as the 20, especially with their offense. If you are playing Iowa State, then yes, there is a greater chance they score from the 40 than the 20.

But having said all that, I get why Herman did not go for it. This is a high pressure job with all of us on every decision. The old school thinking is you punt on 4th and 11. Imagine he went for it and didn't make it and OU goes down and scores a TD. He would catch so much shit even though it was 100% the correct decision. There would have been no way for us to know that OU would have scored the TD even if he punted. But to be a great coach, he needs to get past doing the "safe" thing for the optics for our fans. Especially when the "safe" thing when you really look at risk and reward is really the riskiest thing you can do. Giving OU the ball with over a minute on the clock is just a risk you don't want to take if you don't have to.

It’s not a good sign when everyone on the opposing sideline is relieved you didn’t go for it.  Solid post.  

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

I have to agree with that bolded part, though I understand that in real time Herman probably felt his chances were pretty good that they wouldn’t be able to drive the field and score. But in hindsight I agree 100% that was a 14 swing.

1 minute ago, Mileslong said:

There Is no evidence to support that. Bottom line, UT was called for the most penalty yardage in big 12 history and tied for most number of penalties. That’s bullshit

Depends. As has already been pointed out. By midway through the second quarter Ruffin had already tossed his scheme and went back to running Mike’s 4-3 defense. But, If you use the score, regardless of how you feel about penalties. Ruffin managed to limit Texas to a little more then half of what Mike did in Dallas.

If you use individual performance. Well, that too favors Ruffin as LJH, who will excel at the next level didn’t have the same game or impact he did in October.  OU instead felt that he was the bigger of the two receivers they absolutely had to double. Leaving Johnson to get more YPC, but isn’t as much of a take it to the house threat LJH is.

If you use rushing yards, well 88 is far less then 177. And probably the un-talked about difference in the game.

Then too, If you use luck. Well, that too favors Ruffin. Because it was pure fucking luck Sam missed those two wide fucking open receivers at the beginning of the game that would have given Texas a 21-6 lead.

And none of that takes into account Po’s take up thread on Herman going for it at the end of the first half. That many, including myself believe to have been a 14 point swing.

Depends. As has already been pointed out. By midway through the second quarter Ruffin had already tossed his scheme and went back to running Mike’s 4-3 defense. But, If you use the score, regardless of how you feel about penalties. Ruffin managed to limit Texas to a little more then half of what Mike did in Dallas.
If you use individual performance. Well, that too favors Ruffin as LJH, who will excel at the next level didn’t have the same game or impact he did in October.  OU instead felt that he was the bigger of the two receivers they absolutely had to double. Leaving Johnson to get more YPC, but isn’t as much of a take it to the house threat LJH is.
If you use rushing yards, well 88 is far less then 177. And probably the un-talked about difference in the game.
Then too, If you use luck. Well, that too favors Ruffin. Because it was pure fucking luck Sam missed those two wide fucking open receivers at the beginning of the game that would have given Texas a 21-6 lead.
And none of that takes into account Po’s take up thread on Herman going for it at the end of the first half. That many, including myself believe to have been a 14 point swing.

Two called back TDs is a 14 point swing using fact, speculating on going for it on a fourth down and the subsequent first drive on the next half is sheer speculation at its finest. Any argument about deferring is silly to me. Deferring doesn’t guarantee a touchdown for the other team. OU didn’t score a TD on their first drive of the game, nothing guarantees they score one on the first drive of the second.

First game Texas had 501 total yards and 43 yards of penalties. Second game Texas had 437 total yards but 128 yards of penalties including two TDs called back. Add those and half the penalty yardage and the defensive numbers are worse for OU in the rematch. Ruffin has nothing to do with all those penalties and 14 points taken off the board
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, po elvis said:

I don’t know about that being the #1 reason for the loss, but it’s probably top-3. That was a CYA move. Same reason why I was hoping that Texas would attempt a surprise onside kick at some point in the first half. With an offense like OU, field position doesn’t matter that much. You give them 40 yards to go or you give them 99, only difference is a few more plays. But keeping the ball away from their offense does matter. To me, once you cross midfield against a team with an offense like OU’s, it’s four-down territory no matter the distance. There are other plays that are contenders for “play of the game”, I think. The safety for sure. Also the no-call PI against CJ. But that’s just individual plays. There’s also the grinding in the trenches on every play. We are the ones who got pushed around this time, for the most part. Even in pass plays, somehow they were able to pressure Sam a lot more than in October. I expected that OU was gonna dial up the physicality, and we didn’t answer.

2 hours ago, po elvis said:

this is number 3 imo

number 2 is Sam's health. we called limited plays and you can tell by the end of the game the sooners were much more keyed into those calls. 

number 1 - we had 3 calls not go our way in the 4th. well 4 calls if you count the two penalties committed against LJH on his 'drop'. holding and PI. terrible missed calls. the clear holding on their kickoff return (not called) and the called holding on our KO return for a TD. i don't think anything is rigged, but i do think the officials suck and the sucked in the OU direction in the 4th. we get that conversion to LJH and this entire outcome may be different. 

In terms of systemic issues, we’ve been getting outscored in the fourth quarter this season. I don’t know if it’s fatigue from lack of depth, or trying to protect the lead or what, but it needs to stop in order for Texas to take the next step forward. Also I wish we would replace one of our position coaches with a tackling coach.

3 hours ago, po elvis said:

This.

I also remember saying to myself during the game that it would have been nice to have that int on OUs first drive as well.  It was a pretty lucky pic but you have to take advantage of those situations.  So don't grab a face mask and manage the clock better and you get 10 points. 11 if you count the missed PAT.

Reminded me a lot of the 2008 Tech game clock management on our final touchdown.  Different but just not not mensa level clock management.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

This. Ingram really needs a full off-season of Yancy. He will be so much better next year. He looks like a high-school back currently. 

As much as our O-line has improved this year, and considering where that unit has been the last 7 fucking seasons it is a dramatic improvement, we still have a sub-par O-line. I expect this to be the floor for our OL moving forward, and we really need some Juco/Grad Transfer help at DL as well. Once we get those units shored up with some quality depth, we are winning this game. 

Someone mentioned it before, but this years' team was really one deep, and that will really start to change next year with this next recruiting class coming in. 

Going for it on 4th down depends of course on game situation, but almost anywhere in plus position seems like a better choice than punting. Hell, if nothing else, throw the three-man jump ball to the goal line and let the bastards intercept (hat tip to Gideon). Especially go for it against a team that makes 20 yards of field position pretty damned meaningless. 

• Like 3

On 12/1/2018 at 5:31 PM, LurkingHorn said:

I thought punting in their territory twice was a terrible call. 4th and long be damned, we have a shitty punter and netted minimal yards by doing that. We should have gone for it on 4th and 9 down by 3 around their 40. 

Especially as field position is not really something to be concerned with when playing OU, keeping possession of the ball is. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Going for it on 4th down depends of course on game situation, but almost anywhere in plus position seems like a better choice than punting. Hell, if nothing else, throw the three-man jump ball to the goal line and let the bastards intercept (hat tip to Gideon). Especially go for it against a team that makes 20 yards of field position pretty damned meaningless. 

Yes.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:59 AM, alphahorn said:

it was a business decision by the big 12.  OU winning and making the playoff is a huge net profit for the conference.  UT is neutral aside from the intangibles of recruiting as it would have the same bowl game win or lose.  So, it was an easy business decision to assure an ou big 12 championship.  Everyone else moves up a notch = more money.  the big 12 has always been about the money

I don't doubt this. And we've been on the other side of this, too.