2019 Body Transformation Thread

Almost 109 hours into my fast.

Ketones: 3.4

Sugars: 78

GKI: 1.27

Almost broke my fast today. Was thinking last night I'd have a huge omelette today when I went to breakfast with the folks. And then have a pile of bbq for lunch and start again. But I didn't do it. I want to weigh before breaking it, so I have to wait till Saturday to eat. That'll give me close to 7 full days fasted.

I did have almost 2 tsp of powdered creamer in my coffee at the cafe. ~20 calories. Oh well.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

I just checked online. I knew their vanilla add-in had calories. Didn't realize they had diet cherry. I'll go with that. Will have to try mango.

I really like the orange flavor ad in for coke zero, but it has calories and the mango is close enough for my tastes. 

On 1/21/2019 at 4:18 PM, Longhorn Al said:

I've lost 19 lbs in January.  But still need to lose another 24 to get back to my low of last September when I fell off the wagon.  When I lose 31 more lbs, I'll have lost 100 since 1/8/2018.

We're in the same boat. I lost 92 during the off season in 2018. Put some back during football season. Now need to lose 38 to get to the 100 lb. milestone. 

Bernard

• Like 1

I’ll be finishing my 3rd week of workouts tomorrow. That’s usually when I have been derailed in the past. I have mentioned before I had 5 weeks of workouts. Turns out that where ever I got this excel file from typed up an entire year of workouts. They are pretty much CrossFit and HIIT style workouts.

If anyone would like a copy, send me your email and I’ll send it to you. I have needed a long plan for lifting as I used to get off track easily.

142.5 hours into my fast. Just got home and weighed. It's not my normal first thing in the morning weigh-in...but I've lost a bunch this week. Not exactly sure the number, but I'm down 30 in 2019.
I plan on breaking my fast at around 158 hours tomorrow at Black's BBQ for lunch. 

That is just mind-bottling to me. 14.25 hrs and I'd be ready to faint.

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That is just mind-bottling to me. 14.25 hrs and I'd be ready to faint.

It gets easier. It's not my first rodeo fasting.  I did an 88hr my first try last summer.  Did a 7-day last year. I've done multiple 3-4 day fasts. I'm only breaking this one because I want to eat some bbq, not because I'm famished and feeling terrible.  I feel fine.

Having lost quite a bit of my appetite while doing the keto thing, I could see how fasting might work.  My issue/question is how do you get over the loss of energy or fatigue? I've never had much of an appetite in the morning; however, if I don't put something in my stomach, I'll get all fainty and weak.

First post here, but it's more of a dumb question. If there is more of an appropriate thread about diet (not necessarily dieting), please point me in the right direction.

I'm not doing Keto, but I have worked my way up on restricted eating until first eating at 2 or 3 in the afternoon. It's usually something high in protein minimal carbs. Then a little bit later, I don't worry about what I eat for the rest of my eating window. I could only stand to lose 10-15lbs and would, IMO, if I could cut myself off by about 9 P.M., but that is tough because often my very physical workdays don't end until about that time. So I do snack poorly after that. I would like to lose a little more fat, but have also started doing some minimal weightlifting and calisthenics. So I am no longer losing weight due to putting on some muscle mass.

My question is at around noon, If not in my coffee, I take a couple of straight swigs heavy whipping cream. Does this nearly 100% liquid fat keep my morning fast? If I'm doing a lot of physical work is this an efficient energy source? Is this retarded? It feels right.

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Having lost quite a bit of my appetite while doing the keto thing, I could see how fasting might work.  My issue/question is how do you get over the loss of energy or fatigue? I've never had much of an appetite in the morning; however, if I don't put something in my stomach, I'll get all fainty and weak.

Somewhat surprisingly, my energy levels are higher while fasting. You might drag ass a bit on day 2 of your first fast, but once your body gets its lipolysis and ketone production ramped up, you’ll have no shortage of energy. Fasting also causes your body to release noroadreneline, which gives you more energy. Trouble getting to sleep due to high energy is a somewhat common side effect of fasting. To me the extra energy experienced during a fast seems like mother nature’s way to help you go out and find/gather or hunt/kill your next meal. 

Bernard

• Like 2

I've cheated like hell the lasr 24 hours.  Partially because I needed a break but also paryially because I wanted to get a sense of how my body feels after 2 weeks.

Now I know it won't be that hard to get back on the horse plus I start a much more rigorous exercise routine tomorrow to get me ready for soccer and cycling races.

I had Terry Black's today.  Ate at 2pm and again at 10pm.  Had carbs.

1 lb brisket

1 sausage link

1/4 lb chopped brisket

Almost half of a beef rib.  I may eat the rest tomorrow.  Not sure.

Serving of mac n cheese - it's way better than it's been. must have redone the recipe in the last couple of weeks.

1 cornbread muffin

Sauce

May start my fast now and give the rest of my rib to my friend.  Not eating again till Friday evening.

• Like 1

Week before last was weird for me. I was sick and taking a buttload of antihistamines and PUT ON 3-4 lbs. I'm assuming it was water weight as my diet didn't change and I was still going to the gym. So last week it slowly dropped back down and yesterday I weighed in at where I was at 2 weeks ago.

So THIS is going to be the week that I drop below 230. Fingers crossed.

228.6 this morning. I think it's been maybe since 2004 or even before that since my weight has been at that point. First time I stepped on the scale this morning it said 226.8 so I re-weighed. I'll take the higher number, I'm okay with that. WOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Granted, when I was at this weight back in the day I was carrying a lot more muscle and not nearly so much flab but at my age and current condition I'm happy with the baby steps in getting to my best.

Keep up the hard work, slow and steady is working for me here in year 2.

• Like 8

For any golfers out there who are trying to lose weight, if you are not already doing it, start walking and carrying your bag.  My GPS golf watch shows that I walk between 5.5 and 6.1 miles during a round.  And there's the weight of the bag.  I'm not really trying to lose weight, but I dropped about 4 lbs. after four rounds of golf with no changes in my diet or my exercise routine.

• Like 1

^
Already pretty slim guy at work is claiming 15 pounds down during 2018 with no dietary changes just started taking the stairs on 1/1/18 on any trip under 5 stories. Parking garage and interoffice. Had some crazy number of flights over the year on his watch/smartphone.

We called bullshit, but:
5 calories x 25 flights x 5 days x 50 weeks is ~9 pounds.

My question is at around noon, If not in my coffee, I take a couple of straight swigs heavy whipping cream. Does this nearly 100% liquid fat keep my morning fast? If I'm doing a lot of physical work is this an efficient energy source? Is this retarded? It feels right.

I did low carb, not really trying to be in Keto for lots of 2018. Even with morning fasting you probably aren’t in Keto if your a late evening snacker and you aren’t strictly watching carbs. They obviously also contain calories too so you want be in a fasted state. Fat is dense energy so if those calories of whipping cream keep you satiated then I’ld say it’s probably beneficial. I know some triathletes who do bulletproof coffee for that reason (delay days 1st large calorie intake until as late as possible)

Over the years as I try to maintain, I know I’ve found Keto snacking is better for my metabolism and daily calories than carbs. A few pieces of jerky or some sharp cheddar is

On 1/28/2019 at 10:37 AM, Jkwellborn said:

Fuck running. I hate it. I’ve started back going to the track and walking at a really brisk pace and jogging. It’s kicking my ass. Not to mention the Wilson kicks or bicycle kicks I’ve added in.

I like running, but this winter we bought an indoor cycling bike for $180.00. I can do an hour of various resistance and speed while watching tv easy. Your thighs and ass will be sore for half a week the first time, but it works.

3 hours ago, HouTex said:

For any golfers out there who are trying to lose weight, if you are not already doing it, start walking and carrying your bag.  My GPS golf watch shows that I walk between 5.5 and 6.1 miles during a round.  And there's the weight of the bag.  I'm not really trying to lose weight, but I dropped about 4 lbs. after four rounds of golf with no changes in my diet or my exercise routine.

+1

I have a pushcart and walk whenever I'm not playing with my lazy friends. My track is about a 7-mile loop. On top of the extra calorie burn, I'm playing for free (no cart fee) and I don't drink when I walk, saving more calories and money.

Is there some sort of formula that can put my mind at ease re: changing fat to muscle and the subsequent effect on weight?

I went from 224 and extremely sedentary (for about 3 months before Jan 1st) to keto a couple of weeks ago to keto + lots of activity/workouts a week ago.  I droppred down to a low of 207 last Fri.  I'm actually up to 210 today.  I'm trying to convince myself that I've lost fat and added muscle, but I don't want to make excuses.

28 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Is there some sort of formula that can put my mind at ease re: changing fat to muscle and the subsequent effect on weight?

I went from 224 and extremely sedentary (for about 3 months before Jan 1st) to keto a couple of weeks ago to keto + lots of activity/workouts a week ago.  I droppred down to a low of 207 last Fri.  I'm actually up to 210 today.  I'm trying to convince myself that I've lost fat and added muscle, but I don't want to make excuses.

If you are strict Keto, then your insulin is rock bottom. Insulin is the hormone that causes you to store glucose as fat. You don't have excess glucose if you're strict Keto.

Basically, there's very little chance your gain is fat. It's most likely a combo of muscle and water.

• Like 2

This is my plan this year when I go out. I use to just walk the front 9 and ride the back but think I’m going to walk as much as possible this year.

Don't get real hung up on that. If you're eating healthy, exercising (weights and/or cardio) and maintaining a negative calorie balance, you're getting better in some way or another.

On 1/27/2019 at 10:13 PM, Longhorn Al said:

24 hours after eating that meal, which included a good deal of carbs, my ketones are at 3.2.

I gained roughly 5 lbs yesterday from food and drink.  By this morning I had already dropped 2 of those.  I'll be close to where I was pre-feed in another day or two.

3.2 is solidly in Ketosis. Good work.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

3.2 is solidly in Ketosis. Good work.

Oddly enough, it's been dropping since then, but still above 2.

My weight has also stalled a bit.  I've lost 3 of the 5 I gained.  I've only had water, water with Mio, a little pickle juice, and 1 Topo.  I've also taken potassium pills the last couple of days.  Pretty sure I'm a bit dehydrated and need to drink more.  My lack of drinking enough is causing my body to hold onto it.

Logically, there's no way I'm not burning fat.  I'm 70 hours into this fast.

9 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

Oddly enough, it's been dropping since then, but still above 2.

My weight has also stalled a bit.  I've lost 3 of the 5 I gained.  I've only had water, water with Mio, a little pickle juice, and 1 Topo.  I've also taken potassium pills the last couple of days.  Pretty sure I'm a bit dehydrated and need to drink more.  My lack of drinking enough is causing my body to hold onto it.

Logically, there's no way I'm not burning fat.  I'm 70 hours into this fast.

I would cut out the potassium pills. It's probably causing the dehydration? No? 

5 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

You will have lots of fluctuations on keto, especially as your body takes time to get fat adapted.  I'd guess you are holding more water for whatever reason.

Adding muscle is very slow, check this link: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain.html

• Like 1

Been too busy with work to keep an update going over the last 2 weeks.  Here it goes:

Went to Dallas two weekends ago for a wedding and had two burgers and tots at Keller's.  Fuck the diet.  I love that place.  Got back Monday and stepped on the scale Tuesday morning and hadn't gained or lost any weight.  Sweet.

Stepped on the scale this morning and I was 208.4.  I've lost probably 4 pounds in January.  At this point, I believe that I am starting to really add some muscle mass as I've been upping my protein intake on days that I go to the gym.  I've also added in a fiber supplement at my doctor's advice.  You can get the no sugar metamucil that has 3 carbs per teaspoon as opposed to the sugary version that has near 9 carbs per teaspoon so I went with the no sugar.

This week I have honestly been feeling absolutely fantastic.  It's nice being back in the gym on a regular basis.  I'm about to hit 110 lbs lost since April 2018 which is just staggering to me.  I'll probably settle in around the 195-200 lbs mark and work on muscle definition.  Protein supplements might be necessary but it'd be worth it.

Good job everyone.  Keep on going!

• Like 5

You will have lots of fluctuations on keto, especially as your body takes time to get fat adapted.  I'd guess you are holding more water for whatever reason.

Adding muscle is very slow, check this link: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/how-much-muscle-can-you-gain.html

Different workouts (not heavy weights more high rep) and hormones etc but I think I’ve gained about 5 lbs of muscle in a year. Maybe up to 7 but no way more than that. And I work out 10-12 hours a week all high intensity / competitive. I can’t imagine a middle aged but dedicated man is going to gain 25 lbs a year. That seems crazy.

Almost 90 hours into this fast.  Ketones holding steady above 2.0 and blood sugar is in the low 90s.

My plan is to break my fast Friday night with some seafood.  One meal on Saturday (bbq), and Keto food for the Super Bowl.  Then I'll start a fast Monday and go as long as I can.  I've done 7 days.  I'm going to push for 10.

My weight today is back to where it was Saturday after my 159 hour fast.

What kind of diet are you eating?
Just a pound? Could be the result of you jogging again. Retaining fluid to help repair your muscles.

I’m guessing it’s fluid. I’ve just been eating less and cutting carbs. I’ve had a couple of days where I’ve eaten late, more than normal or more carbs than normal. I’m not on any particular diet.

Who knows. But I’ll be danged, I’ve got every intention of losing 30lbs this year. I know once summer time rolls up it will be easier, because I’m not a fan of going to the track when it’s 35 out.