2019 Body Transformation Thread

Today is 3 weeks into trying keto. I'm down about 8 pounds, which I'm more than happy with. I wasn't trying to lose 20 in a month. 

I've never really dieted and was skeptical of the keto thing because it seems extreme, but after reading about it a bunch, and taking all the internet testimonials with a large grain of salt, I wanted to give it a shot. Besides the weight loss, I feel great. Like really good physically. Aches and pains from some stuff that's been bothering me for 6 months are starting to go away and I'm able to exercise pretty hard again. 

The carb cravings are going away. I was watching a show this morning on breakfast places serving up the kind of stuff that would normally make me jiz my drawers and it really didn't look all that good. The sugar cravings are still high, but they come and go pretty quick. I don't see any reason to give it up now. I'd probably keep doing it even if I wasn't losing weight because I feel so good. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, troph said:

Last night went to hopscotch and then that beer and food joint next door. Friends ate burgers and yummy looking food with bread etc and I just didn’t see the appeal. I ate deviled eggs and pickled veggies. This morning my mouth is nasty tasting - even with gum. Def think I’m in ketosis. Don’t particularly care except I’m down another 2lbs. I had to skip a near full week of workouts too. Appetite is in check and I feel great. Total loss (including water weight) is 15 lbs since mid January. tummy is flatter by a noticeable margin but still has the jiggle. I’ve also noticed thighs and upper arms are thinner which wasn’t that necessary. I’m hoping the weight on other places is almost done and we can attack the belly fat near 100%. No way I have another 15 to lose. If that happens I’ll look down right sickly - I think.

LOL.  Exact same thing here.  I'm down 20 lbs from my high of 226 last fall.  It appears as if all the weight has come from my arms and legs.  Only thing different on my stomach is that it's less solid (more jiggly) which, if I'm being honest, doesn't look any better than it did when it looked like a small balloon.

Just now, BBQ2Bayou said:

Today is 3 weeks into trying keto. I'm down about 8 pounds, which I'm more than happy with. I wasn't trying to lose 20 in a month. 

I've never really dieted and was skeptical of the keto thing because it seems extreme, but after reading about it a bunch, and taking all the internet testimonials with a large grain of salt, I wanted to give it a shot. Besides the weight loss, I feel great. Like really good physically. Aches and pains from some stuff that's been bothering me for 6 months are starting to go away and I'm able to exercise pretty hard again. 

The carb cravings are going away. I was watching a show this morning on breakfast places serving up the kind of stuff that would normally make me jiz my drawers and it really didn't look all that good. The sugar cravings are still high, but they come and go pretty quick. I don't see any reason to give it up now. I'd probably keep doing it even if I wasn't losing weight because I feel so good. 

That was one of the things that surprised me during my 3-week keto trip.  I had absolutely no cravings.  Half the time I ate it was because I was on a sort of schedule.  The couple of times I went on a more traditional, caloric-based diet led to massive cravings within a day.  If I hadn't hit such a wall weight-wise, I would have stuck with it.  As mentioned earlier, I got down 8 lbs pretty quickly, gained several pounds, and just got stuck there for over a week.  At that point I was all "F it".  Still at 207 this AM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That was one of the things that surprised me during my 3-week keto trip.  I had absolutely no cravings.  Half the time I ate it was because I was on a sort of schedule.  The couple of times I went on a more traditional, caloric-based diet led to massive cravings within a day.  If I hadn't hit such a wall weight-wise, I would have stuck with it.  As mentioned earlier, I got down 8 lbs pretty quickly, gained several pounds, and just got stuck there for over a week.  At that point I was all "F it".  Still at 207 this AM.

That's funny. My 8 pound loss put me at 207 this morning, too. I was down to 203 after the first week, so I'm assuming (hoping) the water weight went, came back and now I'll be more consistent and don't hit a wall like you did. I really should put away the scale for a couple weeks because I'm on it too much and I know that's not a good measuring stick. 

I took pictures week 1,2 and 3 and can see the difference in body composition. I wish I would have started off measuring, but I have a pair of jeans laid out that fit when I was at a decent weight for me, and I try those on every few days to see if there's a difference and even though they don't fit well, I can get them on without too much trouble. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

After your initial loss on Keto you start to get non-scale victories, and then it keeps coming off. Just because your weight stays the same doesn't mean you aren't changing for the better. I have been stuck around 170 for a while, but dropped a pant size despite weight staying the same. 

That's a good point and something I hadn't thought about.  I may revisit keto if I can't get down to 195 by mid-summer.  I'll be biking at least 100 miles a week starting in May.  I really won't have an excuse not to drop.  (Note: I'm a teacher with lots of free time in the summer - hence the min goal of 100 miles a week.)

Damn ladies this is working!

Ho Lee Shit she whispers under her breath! Lowest weight I’ve been since 2016 when my ex and I separated. Down 18 pounds. 8 legit weight after first 10 of water.

My appetite is gone. I eat when I’m hungry but wow the damage processed carbs - the hidden sugars - do to our system is undeniable I’m my view.

8 weeks in. This is the longest I’ve done this. Plan to go to April 30. If I hit my goal before then (flat tummy) I’ll recalibrate but even then I’m adding back natural carbs like a more generous fruit and veggie allowance not bread and pasta.

I wasn’t fat just squishy in the wrong places but I’m on my way to skinny and toned tennis hot and I’m thrilled!

• Like 2

Peloton has a free 14 day trial for the app so I figured why not.  It took me testing 3 instructors to find one that I liked.  It's not too bad but I forgot how much cycling hurts my ass.  Anyone tried any of the other classes?

Started intermittent fasting two weeks ago. I only eat from 12-8 pm and nothing but water outside of those hours. I lift weights and do some cardio 3-4 times a week. During the hours I eat, I allow myself one soft drink or glass of tea, pretty much eat what I want (within moderation). After about a week I stopped getting hungry in the morning and late evenings.

I've lost 7 pounds! Wanting to lose 30 total so I'm off to a good start!

• Like 1

Peloton has a free 14 day trial for the app so I figured why not.  It took me testing 3 instructors to find one that I liked.  It's not too bad but I forgot how much cycling hurts my ass.  Anyone tried any of the other classes?

Don’t stay seated for so long. Get up and out of that saddle bro!

3 hours ago, Spur08 said:

Goes away after a week or two as well. If not, look into a more comfortable seat. 

Day 2.  Couldn't stay in the saddle for more than 3 min w/out a lot of pain.  I'm definitely bruised on my ischial tuberosities.   I'm sure some of it has to do w/ my form, but it is incredibly uncomfortable, even with wearing bike shorts.

Day 2.  Couldn't stay in the saddle for more than 3 min w/out a lot of pain.  I'm definitely bruised on my ischial tuberosities.   I'm sure some of it has to do w/ my form, but it is incredibly uncomfortable, even with wearing bike shorts.

You may need a new saddle that fits your sit bones better. It should not hurt that much that fast, even if you’re new to the sport.

I started on November 12th at 370 (I’m 6’4” and have a frame like Leonard Davis). Yesterday, I hit 320. I had a few milestones in between, 350 was max for Fitbit scale. 20kg and now dropping 50. 

The next big one will be below 300. I’ve been doing 12lbs a month loss, so I’m hoping for end of April. 

Keys for me:

Myfitnesspal app  to track everything

cut out beer (went from 4-5 a day to zero)  

cut out sodas (even Coke Zero, fuck that shit)

Quest protein bars and powders. The peanut butter is the shit  a scoop of powder is 110 calories with 30g of protein  

“work out” every day. I quote because I hate the gym, but I find time to do bike or elliptical every day. I’m trying to build up bench press to 185, so I can outlift KD.

Walk faster. 

Good headphones  I bought the Sony MX3’s  makes walking and workouts better. I go for 10k steps per day. I track with Stepz app which is linked to Myfitnesspal 

Consistency. I eat a protein bar with coffee (no sugar) for breakfast each day then have a salad of some kind for lunch.  For dinner I do a meat plus lots of roasted veggies. Put cauliflower in over at 425 for 25 mins with some olive oil and salt and pepper and you have pure gold, it takes more calories to eat that shit  

Drinking lots of water. Yesterday in a hour meeting, I drank 2L of water.  Tom Brady style  

• Like 4

I would say that I'm on a "diet" as I try to take in around 1500 calories a day. That is a pretty low intake for someone my size. It is basically 3500 calories per pound, so I've try to run a deficit of ~10,000 per week (2-3 pounds per week loss).

I haven't really cheated where I blew my calorie budget out of the water, but I do have a rule that I don't drink beer in home country (right now Singapore), but since I play golf with my buddies once a month in Indonesia then beer is ok on that day :). (yay Bintang).

9 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I started on November 12th at 370 (I’m 6’4” and have a frame like Leonard Davis). Yesterday, I hit 320. I had a few milestones in between, 350 was max for Fitbit scale. 20kg and now dropping 50. 

The next big one will be below 300. I’ve been doing 12lbs a month loss, so I’m hoping for end of April. 

Keys for me:

Myfitnesspal app  to track everything

cut out beer (went from 4-5 a day to zero)  

cut out sodas (even Coke Zero, fuck that shit)

Quest protein bars and powders. The peanut butter is the shit  a scoop of powder is 110 calories with 30g of protein  

“work out” every day. I quote because I hate the gym, but I find time to do bike or elliptical every day. I’m trying to build up bench press to 185, so I can outlift KD.

Walk faster. 

Good headphones  I bought the Sony MX3’s  makes walking and workouts better. I go for 10k steps per day. I track with Stepz app which is linked to Myfitnesspal 

Consistency. I eat a protein bar with coffee (no sugar) for breakfast each day then have a salad of some kind for lunch.  For dinner I do a meat plus lots of roasted veggies. Put cauliflower in over at 425 for 25 mins with some olive oil and salt and pepper and you have pure gold, it takes more calories to eat that shit  

Drinking lots of water. Yesterday in a hour meeting, I drank 2L of water.  Tom Brady style  

Nice job man!  Sounds like you've taken the right steps so far!  I'm going to be purchasing a pair of bluetooth headphones very soon.  Tired of the wired apple headphones for sure.

Consistency is KEY is everything.  Gotta make it over the hump and part of your routine (which it looks like you have). 

Long-Term Keto checking in. . .

So I started running about 2 months ago.  I'm 46, and have NEVER been much of a runner.  The idea started when my 21 year old son started regularly running marathons every few months. Granted, it's part of his job for Army/ROTC/Aggie but the thought entered my mind that even if I never run a marathon, I should be good for 5 or 10K events.  I'm using the 10K app to plan my runs.

I'm 1 month shy of being 4 years lazy keto/lazy keto, and I'm getting carb cravings like crazy, at the weirdest times.  What used to be a cheat meal every week or so is now every other day.  I'm up about 8 lbs but still barely under 200.  I'll do really well for a few days and then have a moment of weakness and eat a pint of halo top.

The other day I was walking through the breakroom here at the office and stopped and stared at a candy bar in the vending machine for a good 30 seconds.

I know what happens to me when I stop being mindful of how I fuel my body.  And Keto (or even lazy low carb) is very sustainable over the years as I've proven.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

So I started running about 2 months ago.  I'm 46, and have NEVER been much of a runner.  The idea started when my 21 year old son started regularly running marathons every few months. Granted, it's part of his job for Army/ROTC/Aggie but the thought entered my mind that even if I never run a marathon, I should be good for 5 or 10K events.  I'm using the 10K app to plan my runs.

I'm 1 month shy of being 4 years lazy keto/lazy keto, and I'm getting carb cravings like crazy, at the weirdest times.  What used to be a cheat meal every week or so is now every other day.  I'm up about 8 lbs but still barely under 200.  I'll do really well for a few days and then have a moment of weakness and eat a pint of halo top.

The other day I was walking through the breakroom here at the office and stopped and stared at a candy bar in the vending machine for a good 30 seconds.

I know what happens to me when I stop being mindful of how I fuel my body.  And Keto (or even lazy low carb) is very sustainable over the years as I've proven.

Bear, do you still feel a lot better staying on the keto that long? I feel great and I'm losing weight, but I'm wondering if the "lazy keto" thing would be better for me because I really can't and don't want to count everything I'm eating. I'd rather just have a good idea of what I can and can't get away with and not worry too much about staying perfect. 

48 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Bear, do you still feel a lot better staying on the keto that long? I feel great and I'm losing weight, but I'm wondering if the "lazy keto" thing would be better for me because I really can't and don't want to count everything I'm eating. I'd rather just have a good idea of what I can and can't get away with and not worry too much about staying perfect. 

That’s what I’ve done for the past 9 months or so. I drastically reduced calories by only eating one “Keto-ish” meal a day.

22 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

Running definitely increases carb cravings; your body simply needs carbs as fuel if you're running any significant distance. Well, that's my opinion, anyway, based on my experience. If you stick to good carbs - fruits and vegetables, whole grains, I'm sure you know the drill - you should be fine. Halo top and candy bars are right out. Have a banana.

Full disclosure: I do give in to the ice cream cravings once every couple of weeks or so. I've never been seriously overweight, and tend to stay at exactly the same weight, to the tenth of a pound, and have been for years. There have been fluctuations, when I made serious efforts through diet and, mostly, exercise to lose 10 to 12 pounds. I can keep it off for as long as I'm putting in the effort, and when I stop I go right back up to the same exact weight. 193.6, every day after my morning shit. The occasional ice cream binge doesn't budge it; it probably would if I did it every day, though.

37 minutes ago, Bat Guano said:

Running definitely increases carb cravings

Pretty old way of thinking in my opinion. Running and other exercise that is similar makes you hungry, it doesn't make you crave carbs. As for the ice cream, I eat the crap out of Rebel Creamery, maybe explains my stall. 

1 hour ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Pretty old way of thinking in my opinion. Running and other exercise that is similar makes you hungry, it doesn't make you crave carbs. As for the ice cream, I eat the crap out of Rebel Creamery, maybe explains my stall. 

Could be. Like I said, it's just my opinion based on the way I feel. Seems like I need the carbs; I have done paleo, which was pretty ketogenic, for a couple of years, but I wasn't running at that time.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 7:34 PM, BBQ2Bayou said:

Absolutely I feel better, mainly because I'm not riding the insulin response roller coaster.  Very consistent energy levels all the time.

• Like 1

Just checking in to be checking in here. My weight loss is so slow it kind of seems pointless to report other than to say that it is ongoing. I've avoided the scale for the past few weeks just because there wasn't much change day to day or really week to week. Month to month I think I'm losing a pound or two which is great in my mind. It's preferable to a drastic weight loss followed by a rebound. Still hitting the gym and feeling good about that. My goal for weight loss for the year, can't remember if I posted that or not, is 18 pounds. So roughly a pound and a half a month. Still doing Keto by the way. It's been over a year now and it has become my diet, not A diet.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Just checking in to be checking in here. My weight loss is so slow it kind of seems pointless to report other than to say that it is ongoing. I've avoided the scale for the past few weeks just because there wasn't much change day to day or really week to week. Month to month I think I'm losing a pound or two which is great in my mind. It's preferable to a drastic weight loss followed by a rebound. Still hitting the gym and feeling good about that. My goal for weight loss for the year, can't remember if I posted that or not, is 18 pounds. So roughly a pound and a half a month. Still doing Keto by the way. It's been over a year now and it has become my diet, not A diet.

I'm in the same boat here, and I think we're doing it the right way.   I've lost 18 pounds in the last 9 months (194 to 176 at 5'10").  You also nailed how I view MY diet vs. A diet now.  I did it a few years ago, then stopped and the weight went back on.  I don't think that's going to happen this time.  Working out feels good and it's easier to make myself get out of bed 30 minutes earlier to do it.  Plus, the wife says she thinks my libido has increased as well.  So I got that going for me, which is nice.

I get into foods and exhaust them to death before switching to another, but right now I'm stuck on the following lunch.

2 eggs

2 cans of chicken

Tabasco

Mix together and 2 minutes on high and you have yourself 323 calories with 49g of protein. The only negative is the sodium in the canned chicken, but I run or lift everyday and try to drink a shit ton of water. I like to pair with my salad of lettuce, grapes, carrots, cucumber, strawberries, and tomato (the whole fruits act as dressing).

Edited by SimonBolivar

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I'm in a similar boat, weight loss is very small now, though I think I finally broke a couple month stall and finally broke into the 160's. Not as fun as the beginning where the weight just flew off, but still keeping to Keto and its pretty much a lifestyle instead of just a diet. I have been carb craving everything lately  though which I haven't done in a long time. 

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

I get into foods and exhaust them to death before switching to another, but right now I'm stuck on the following lunch.

2 eggs

2 cans of chicken

Tabasco

Mix together and 2 minutes on high and you have yourself 323 calories with 49g of protein. The only negative is the sodium in the canned chicken, but I run or lift everyday and try to drink a shit ton of water. I like to pair with my salad of lettuce, grapes, carrots, cucumber, strawberries, and tomato (the whole fruits act as dressing).

I think sticking with the same foods has been a huge factor in keeping my weight off for the last 9 months. The less I have to think about what I’m going to eat the less my mind wanders to what I wish I was eating. I leave that for a big cheat meal every week to 10 days. 

49 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I think sticking with the same foods has been a huge factor in keeping my weight off for the last 9 months. The less I have to think about what I’m going to eat the less my mind wanders to what I wish I was eating. I leave that for a big cheat meal every week to 10 days. 

If I have anything that is off the Keto reservation it's because I'm out of my routine. Weekday off from work for whatever reason, weekends sitting around the house etc... I like routine and habits are comfortable to me. Unlike @KnoxtnhornI can eat the same thing everyday for months at a time.

• Like 1

Just now, El Diablo said:

If I have anything that is off the Keto reservation it's because I'm out of my routine. Weekday off from work for whatever reason, weekends sitting around the house etc... I like routine and habits are comfortable to me. Unlike @KnoxtnhornI can eat the same thing everyday for months at a time.

I can't even eat things I really, really like for more than a few days. You could stick a t-bone in front of me for about 7 days before I'd get sick of it.  Odd, I know.

6 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I can't even eat things I really, really like for more than a few days. You could stick a t-bone in front of me for about 7 days before I'd get sick of it.  Odd, I know.

I think some of my being okay with the same food day after day is that I'm single and cook for myself. I like cooking but I don't want to devote time everyday to the task so I prepare food ahead of time. I cook on either Saturday or Sunday, usually a roast, or chicken or whatever for my evening meals for the week. Breakfast and lunch are just foods to fill the gut while I'm working and I need routine during the week so that I'm not running late due to trying something different for breakfast or forgetting to pack a lunch because I got in a hurry or... well, you get the picture. Granted, it's more enduring than endearing.

• Like 1

I had hit a plateau after getting to -50 lbs. The -50 was kind of a cheat because I reached it after fasting for a colonoscopy, but still, the plateau lasted a full week. Today, I am finally at -51 and seemingly back on the weight loss track.

One crazy thing is my metabolism seems super high now, I have way more energy and my body is running "hotter". For those who don't know I live in Singapore and it's fucking hot here all the time, but now when i go outside it seems cool to the skin. It is pretty bizarre.