2019 Body Transformation Thread

reducing portions and exercising?  damn, you crazy.

good luck, though.

I got down to 218lb today on a keto-ish diet.  8 weeks without candy/cookies, bread/pasta/pizza or any beer stronger than Mich ultra is pretty amazing for me.  That Choc Zero stuff has been the key as have all the other alternatives you find when trying to replicate the carbs you ate before.  Fuck KetoCups though, those things are awful.  

As many other people have said on this thread, you get to 'cheat' all the time and eat bacon cheeseburgers, skin on chicken, pork rinds and queso, heavy whipping cream in the coffee, fatty brisket, etc...  I found that I could eat a sensible low fat meal about 70% of the time but the other 30% I would eat high fat/high calorie at excessive portions and that would keep me in the 1 step forward and 2 steps back mode gaining a pound or 2 a week on average.  The no/low carb diet let me still be a weak-minded willpower lacking glutton and cheat 30% of the time, but it no longer erases the gains made from eating right most of the time.  I just have to cheat in a fairly specific way and it generally involves bacon and cheese.

• Like 2

One cheat meal once a week won’t kill you. You just have to have the will power to not make it a cheat day, then a cheat couple days, then a cheat week, then a cheat month.

A diet isn’t temporary. It’s a lifestyle change. The thought of going back to how I was is sickening to me now. Just find something that can be sustained long term and stick with it. You want to have some pizza and beer? Go for it. But don’t make it a habit.

Thats my philosophy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

One cheat meal once a week won’t kill you. You just have to have the will power to not make it a cheat day, then a cheat couple days, then a cheat week, then a cheat month.

A diet isn’t temporary. It’s a lifestyle change. The thought of going back to how I was is sickening to me now. Just find something that can be sustained long term and stick with it. You want to have some pizza and beer? Go for it. But don’t make it a habit.

Thats my philosophy.

This is true. A few years ago I was doing a cheat day every Saturday and low carb the other 6 days. I was losing weight every week but after a few months cheat day turned into cheat weekend and cheat Monday lunch. Keeping it to a meal or two every 7-10 days works much better for me. 

Heading into unknown territory wrt IF.  Haven't eaten anything in 24 hours, trying to decide if I want to go for just a couple more or even further.  Have only consumed a little bit of water, so am thinking if I want, can drink at a much better pace and not think about food.  I could distract myself with crappy Amazon Prime movies and see how far I could go, if I wanted.   Completed day 24  in a row of hitting steps goal, 9500.  Have 6100 steps today and it is not quite 2:00 p.m. yet.  Down 12 pounds from May 23, and only 9 pounds from the magical 214.2, which is overweight, instead of obese.  Would be really cool to hit 219 by June 23, because that would be 15 pounds in one month.  1/2 pound a day average weight loss.  And the last 10 days or so without the fiber I am used to consuming.  I ordered it from Amazon maybe 2 weeks ago and it is due any day.  

I am beginning to think losing weight is just a mindset.  I have a watch that keeps me focused on steps, an app. that keeps me focused on weight, BMI, etc. and knowing there is no fast food on the horizon helps.  Yesterday I watched computer version of US Open and ran everytime there was commercial.  I racked up the steps quickly.  Just a trick on the brain, again.  

18 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I’m back from vacation and up 6 pounds. I drank all the sugar drinks, ate fried everything and often. Good time, but now back to my normal nutrition plan.

You and me both.  I am up almost 10 lbs this year after being down 30+.  And the last week in Hawaii didn't help.  Need to get my shit in gear.

• Like 2

Just left the gym. Played hooky almost a whole week after an exhausting weekend down at the coast(long story), and I was a little disappointed in myself. Did 2.5 miles on the elliptical in 20 min and hit the weights hard till my arms were burning. I feel like I'm back on track now

Officially back at it. Joined the YMCA in my neighborhood 2 Sundays ago, but only worked out twice last week and drank and ate poorly starting with an after-work HH on Wednesday. 

Decided to finally get serious this week. Have managed to drag my ass to the gym every morning so far and have been eating like I know I should.

I'm one of those people that needs to be in a routine to stick with working out, so if I can just make it to the gym every morning before work for the next 2 weeks or so it should become a habit.

16 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Officially back at it. Joined the YMCA in my neighborhood 2 Sundays ago, but only worked out twice last week and drank and ate poorly starting with an after-work HH on Wednesday. 

Decided to finally get serious this week. Have managed to drag my ass to the gym every morning so far and have been eating like I know I should.

I'm one of those people that needs to be in a routine to stick with working out, so if I can just make it to the gym every morning before work for the next 2 weeks or so it should become a habit.

The gym routine will help, but focus more on the diet routine. That is where you lose the weight. 

47 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

The gym routine will help, but focus more on the diet routine. That is where you lose the weight. 

I know what it takes for me to lose weight and get in shape. I've been in very good shape at various times throughout my life.

It's doing it and sticking to it that is the hard part.

Am approaching 30 days since weigh in with the wife,[may 23)will post comprehensive recap on Sunday/Monday.  For now, it appears I’m on fire.  Now down 13.4 pounds, and doing a bit of experimenting here and there. Last night during fasting time I drank 3 cokes, thinking it might trigger weight gain. Nope, just slowed the weight loss.  I am literally losing at least 0.2 pounds every day, it seems.

that is without getting the fiber back in the diet.  Ran out of fiber couple of weeks ago,  finally arrived and will hit it tomorrow.  Not exactly on pace to lose 15 pounds by June 23, but the big event is tomorrow’s record setting attempt for steps in one day.  Weather is to be 65 degrees and partly sunny according to Alexa, which should encourage me to be outside most of the day.   Assuming I hit 15 pounds loss on Sunday, will only have about five to go to get to ‘overweight’ instead of obese.  Then the next goal is under 200, which I might have been at sometime in the 90s.  

Well, that was an experience.  Just so everyone knows, it may not be a good idea to get your body into keto and then immediately stop.

As mentioned above, I started back a couple of weeks ago.  Right at about Day 4, I decided I didn't want to do it anymore, so I went back to "normal" food.  Man, within 2 days I jumped 10 lbs.  I'm assuming my body got tricked into storing extra carbs and water.  It's gone now.

I know we all have our excuses but, one of the odd things about being a teacher is having those 2 1/2 months off.  I'm all about having the extra time to work out; however, it's much more difficult to regulate food intake.  

Just checking in, not much to report. I'm at a stall currently hovering around the 220/221 mark. I'm getting used to the stalls now and not too discouraged by them. Seems like they last a month or so and then I make up for it with a 10 lb drop or so over the next month. I'm expecting to drop below 220 soon enough. Keep up the good work.

• Like 4

On 6/15/2019 at 6:10 AM, pearlandhorn said:

Thats my philosophy.

I'm trying this because the guys who make the app, who know more about this than I do, recommend against cheat days.

The only painful thing about my current strategy is taking the time to actually find out how many calories my home-cooked meals -- i.e., most of them -- take up. It takes a good ten minutes to enter in some of these recipes. It's nice to know that my brownies are ~385 calories each, though.

I also have pretty modest goals: Getting from 180 to 170. You set in the app various details about yourself, how much you want to lose per week, and it gives you the calorie/day total to use. I'm doing a modest 1 lb/week goal; once I hit 175 for good, I'm going to drop that to 0.5 lb/week. If you lose weight too fast, it's not just unhealthy, it's harder to keep off.

Point is -- you're right that it's a lifestyle change. I've also been told by my doctor that I need 30 minutes of exercise ("enough that you can't hold a conversation") 5 times per week. The app adds the exercise amounts in to your total, so e.g. 30 minutes of playing around in the pool becomes 280 more calories I can eat.

What I think the real trick is, though, is that you don't want to go under your calorie per day target any more than you want to go over it. You want to hit it so that you lose weight steadily, but also so that you don't get too hungry and need to cheat. And this also is a good time to grab another beer or a brownie or a donut to make up that deficit -- and treat myself.

So I can still eat the same stuff I did before, but I find that I'm wanting to avoid carbs much more -- they have more calories and are less filling. So simply counting calories is pushing me to lower my carbs naturally. The tortillas I like, for example, are 150 cal each. So I skip the rice and go straight for the meat and veggies. And those taste better, anyhow.

I'll manually adjust the calorie target if my actual pace isn't meeting the expected pace. My weight graph looks like a bunch of W's in a row if written with my left hand, so it's hard to tell exactly how much I'm losing, only that the trend is definitely downwards.

Also: I gain weight if I don't sleep enough and lose it if I sleep in. Note to self, get enough sleep.

Edited by Rimbo

So after just over 2 months on keto-ish diet (I have never checked to see if I am actually in keto) targeting 20g carbs or less each day I had a physical with bloodwork and was interested to see the lipid panel after eating tons of fat heavy, high cholesterol meats/foods.  Here's the results:

cholesterol - 166 mg/dl

triglycerides - 42 mg/dl 

HDL - 71 mg/dl

LDL - 87 mg/dl

I think my BP was 120/78 with a 56 bpm heartrate

So i don't really have a reference as I have not had a physical in probably 7-8 years or so, but was encouraged by the numbers and don't think eating this way is having a negative effect.  The doc said all values were fine and after googling normal ranges they seem to right in line or on the good side.  I have had several people comment "what about all the cholesterol eating like that?"  and other than some guy on redit saying it was fine I really did not know.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I'm trying this because the guys who make the app, who know more about this than I do, recommend against cheat days.

The only painful thing about my current strategy is taking the time to actually find out how many calories my home-cooked meals -- i.e., most of them -- take up. It takes a good ten minutes to enter in some of these recipes. It's nice to know that my brownies are ~385 calories each, though.

I also have pretty modest goals: Getting from 180 to 170. You set in the app various details about yourself, how much you want to lose per week, and it gives you the calorie/day total to use. I'm doing a modest 1 lb/week goal; once I hit 175 for good, I'm going to drop that to 0.5 lb/week. If you lose weight too fast, it's not just unhealthy, it's harder to keep off.

Point is -- you're right that it's a lifestyle change. I've also been told by my doctor that I need 30 minutes of exercise ("enough that you can't hold a conversation") 5 times per week. The app adds the exercise amounts in to your total, so e.g. 30 minutes of playing around in the pool becomes 280 more calories I can eat.

What I think the real trick is, though, is that you don't want to go under your calorie per day target any more than you want to go over it. You want to hit it so that you lose weight steadily, but also so that you don't get too hungry and need to cheat. And this also is a good time to grab another beer or a brownie or a donut to make up that deficit -- and treat myself.

So I can still eat the same stuff I did before, but I find that I'm wanting to avoid carbs much more -- they have more calories and are less filling. So simply counting calories is pushing me to lower my carbs naturally. The tortillas I like, for example, are 150 cal each. So I skip the rice and go straight for the meat and veggies. And those taste better, anyhow.

I'll manually adjust the calorie target if my actual pace isn't meeting the expected pace. My weight graph looks like a bunch of W's in a row if written with my left hand, so it's hard to tell exactly how much I'm losing, only that the trend is definitely downwards.

Also: I gain weight if I don't sleep enough and lose it if I sleep in. Note to self, get enough sleep.

Don't get stuck in this frame of mind that carbs have more calories than anything else.  Yes, they are less filling depending on the type of carb you eat.  Each gram of carbohydrate is 4 calories.  Each gram of protein is 4 calories.  Each gram of FAT is 9 calories.

The reason you feel like carbs have more calories is due to the nature of carbs you're used to eating (sweets, sodas, etc) that leave you feeling more hungry, wanting to eat more of it, causing you to go over on your TDEE for the day on sweets and sodas.  Good carbs like sweet potatoes are very filling.  One sweet potato has 115 calories and about 20 net carbs.  It's literally all carbs.  And they are delicious.  Also, the reason you're filling more "full and satisfied" with going lower carb is due to eating a higher fat content in your diet (fats have a higher caloric count and make you feel full - same for proteins - protein also makes you feel full). 

Keep doing what's working.  Just wanted to share that tidbit with you.

Reference material: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/4182-fat-and-calories

Edited by pearlandhorn
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

So after just over 2 months on keto-ish diet (I have never checked to see if I am actually in keto) targeting 20g carbs or less each day I had a physical with bloodwork and was interested to see the lipid panel after eating tons of fat heavy, high cholesterol meats/foods.  Here's the results:

cholesterol - 166 mg/dl

triglycerides - 42 mg/dl 

HDL - 71 mg/dl

LDL - 87 mg/dl

I think my BP was 120/78 with a 56 bpm heartrate

So i don't really have a reference as I have not had a physical in probably 7-8 years or so, but was encouraged by the numbers and don't think eating this way is having a negative effect.  The doc said all values were fine and after googling normal ranges they seem to right in line or on the good side.  I have had several people comment "what about all the cholesterol eating like that?"  and other than some guy on redit saying it was fine I really did not know.

My cholesterol was high when I did my keto.  Strange.  That is really good looking bloodwork though.

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

Don't get stuck in this frame of mind that carbs have more calories than anything else.  Yes, they are less filling depending on the type of carb you eat.  Each gram of carbohydrate is 4 calories.  Each gram of protein is 4 calories.  Each gram of FAT is 9 calories.

The reason you feel like carbs have more calories is due to the nature of carbs you're used to eating (sweets, sodas, etc) that leave you feeling more hungry, wanting to eat more of it, causing you to go over on your TDEE for the day on sweets and sodas.  Good carbs like sweet potatoes are very filling.  One sweet potato has 115 calories and about 20 net carbs.  It's literally all carbs.  And they are delicious.  Also, the reason you're filling more "full and satisfied" with going lower carb is due to eating a higher fat content in your diet (fats have a higher caloric count and make you feel full - same for proteins - protein also makes you feel full). 

Keep doing what's working.  Just wanted to share that tidbit with you.

Reference material: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/4182-fat-and-calories

I actually think it has to do with the lard content of the tortillas, but you do you. 😄

After about 2.5 months on keto I think my overall appetite has gone down and/or the foods I am eating now sate me better than a higher carb diet.  I tried some of my daughter's bday cookie cake, just a piece about the size of a quarter, and it gave me a stomach ache something fierce for about 30 minutes.

anyway, made it down to 214lbs and down 23lbs total.  

34uk08.jpg

• Like 3

I started eating a few more carbs after being keto for 5 months. I didn't overdo it and I really don't know the difference between good carbs and bad carbs, but since reintroducing them just a little, I feel noticeably worse physically. I'm tired a lot more, especially after a meal and I wasn't that way at all when I was strict about my carbs. I had energy and bounce all the time. 

I'm down about 20 overall and I'm really trying to get down 10-15 more, but damn those last 10 pounds seem impossible without starving myself. Maybe I just need to be content with being 10-15 overweight. It's not much and I've always been a little pudgy, so maybe that's just the weight I'm always going to be stuck at and should concentrate more on maintaining that. That's hard for me though when I'm not happy with how I look in the mirror. Vanity can be a powerful bitch I guess. 

Alright... it's time to get serious. I've said, I'm in the worst shape of my life for the past year or so but over the past 3 months or so.. it's gotten even worse. 
I WILL NOT buy a large pair of pants..not a larger set of shirts... I have to make changes. Been drinking too much craft beer and enjoying life..and loving being able to take scooters instead of walking half a mile. 

So here's the plan. Keto. I've done short stints of it before and the weight melted off, 10-15lbs in the first week.. Yes I know that's a lot of water weight.. but that's how it works.. 

Starting either Tomorrow or Friday.. (depends on 4th plans). I'm going back Keto. Keeping my carbs under 20-30grams per day... maybe throw a 16-8 fast in Monday. 
Next, the biggie. A biggie group took on the challenge a couple weeks ago and I wasn't ready. Next wed, the 10th. after dinner. I'm starting a 72 hour fast through which I'll break saturday night or ride into sunday morning. 
All I will drink with it will be Water with Real salt in it (real salt has more magnessium and other minerals in it than table salt). and green tea. No Water drops or flavorings. 

I'm around 240 right now. I think the first goal is under 220. Then the goal I haven't been under since likely high school is 200. The ultimate goal is 185.
Also. Starting tomorrow. as I mentioned. I can't walk half a mile right now without being winded. So that's what I'm gonna do for a couple of days. then try to push it to a mile.. my body knows I can do this.. so gotta zap it back into shape as well as push my mind. Then it will be to run a mile. then a 5k. the goal then would be a 5k under 30 minutes. I was there... not more than 3-4 months ago...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:

How tall are you?

How big a boy are you?  6'3. 

The 185 I would be happy to get to in a year or so.. i know it's gonna be tough. that's every man's dream weight to be the weight they were when they were in the best shape of their life.. playing football and wrestling as a Sr in high school. 

Edited by msudawg

17 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:

Blow it out tomorrow cause well 'Merica. It can wait until Friday.

thanks bud. was gonna wait till friday because i thought for sure there would be beers, bbq, and whatnot. doesn't look like it.. oh well. live life. 

let's do this. 

Well, I had one last day of crap food for the 4th along with 4-5 Treehouse and other IPAs. Now it's time to start. 

Started the morning with 2 fried eggs over easy in coconut oil. Gonna stick to the salted nuts, chomp stix, salad with steak today.  get on the scale tonight for the starting weight (pretty sure around 240)  and go from there. Start planning out food for the next few days before i start my extended fast. 

I have to be careful with nuts. Those are hard to put down for me once I start. I need to cut back on cheese, too. Those calorie dense foods are what is holding me back from losing any more, I think. Or maybe the high fat, I'm not really sure. 

I probably just need to get some portion control, really. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

I have to be careful with nuts. Those are hard to put down for me once I start. I need to cut back on cheese, too. Those calorie dense foods are what is holding me back from losing any more, I think. Or maybe the high fat, I'm not really sure. 

I probably just need to get some portion control, really. 

I won't do it forever but I throw everything i do in myfitnesspal. short of restaurant items they have a lot of stuff in the diary section already. set your macros up and go.. you can even scan barcodes now to find items.  Time for a steak salad at roti.. 

54 minutes ago, msudawg said:

I won't do it forever but I throw everything i do in myfitnesspal. short of restaurant items they have a lot of stuff in the diary section already. set your macros up and go.. you can even scan barcodes now to find items.  Time for a steak salad at roti.. 

I did that for a day or 2 and told it to fuck off. I usually know roughly how much I'm consuming, it's that I lack the discipline to go hungry.  I really wish I could follow the practice that food should only be used as fuel, but life's too short to not eat like a fatty sometimes. 

I cleaned out my pantry a year and a half ago or so, all the boxed dinners, pasta, etc... gave it all to a neighbor lady that had a couple of small kids. 

So I've been at 220 or less for the last week or so and that was at my evening weigh-in when I have always weighed the most of anytime during a day. So I'm claiming 220. That's down 13 pounds for the year and just 5 short of my goal weight for the year and 40 total over the last year and a half. I'm going to crush 215 in the 5 and a half months that are left in this year. Booyah! I was talking to my cousin about the weight loss and in that conversation I reminded myself that even though I've had some lengthy stalls during this process I've never once put back on any significant amount. If I put some back on it was generally when I'd let myself get a bit dehydrated and water is some heavy stuff by volume. This shit works if you'll let it.

• Like 1

Down 5 lbs over first 3 days.. But haven't been hitting my carbs goals. Yesterday I drank 3 cups of milk not thinking about it in a pint glass (love good milk) and there went 36g of carbs. Too it off with a cup of cherries and I topped 54g of carbs without thinking except trying to get rid of tasty things 8 had around... Portion control. One cup of milk and 1/4 cup of cherries would have been fine. 

Cooked some seasoned chicken breasts up in the sous vide and will have that as a mixed green salad for lunch today.. With raw brocolli and nuts (macadamia, pecans, walnuts, or sunflower) and some tea or waterloo.  Dinners gonna be a stuffed pepper with Cajun ground beef for dinner. 

Psa. One of the best Steaks (non aged) is on sale for 17.99 a pound right now at central market. "natural Angus beef, usda prime, boneless ribeye Steaks. 4 bucks off. We cooked one up in the sous vide finished with the cast iron grill pan.. So freaking good. The fat tasted so good. Picked up another one to have sat / sun once I finish my 3 day fast. 

Another favorite from cm is the tortilla soup... Put a couple slices of pepper jack or Mont jack in there.. Or any creamy cheese and it's a great low carb meal. 

10 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Somebody recommend a good protein supplement for me

If you have a Costco membership, get optimum nutrition whey isolate. They have chocolate and vanilla flavor at pretty much every Costco. Four or five pounds for $10/pound. I buy 5 pounds at a time and it lasts me for a month and a half or so.

10 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Somebody recommend a good protein supplement for me

If you want to add some plant-based protein to the mix, check out Vega Sport. It ain’t cheap, but it has 30g of protein per serving and has some of the cleanest ingredients (no fillers or artificial crap) of any protein powder on the market. 

If you prefer whey protein, I recommend Dymatize ISO100.

You can find both as most HEBs (whenever they might be open).

Well had a very shitty monday afternoon that stressed me the fuck out.. so I caved in.. didn't actually eat lunch or dinner.. just had 3-4 beers. The stress was still around tuesday and I was extremly hungry so made a bad decision of going and getting a double hamburger with the bun at murphys deli. it was filling and that and a glass of milk was calming. Got to learn to deal with stress in a healthy way.. its going to happen. Beer and carbs aren't the way to fix it.. overall still down 7lbs in 6 days but up 3lbs from where I was yesterday morning. 

Deciding if I'm starting my fast tonight or having a full 2 days of being back on keto first.. just see how I'm feeling today. 

Time for ACV, cheese stick, and some coconut oil to hold me over till lunch. 

47 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

keep at it msu.  I splurged a little on my bday.  went out for mexican and had a few chips, 2 sugar packed margs and could not pass on trying the flan.  probably easily over 100 g of carbs but getting right back on it today.

Mhmmm Flan... one of my biggest weaknesses. Hardest part about doing this in the summer time is peaches and watermelons... But I had a few a couple weeks ago.

Damnit.. as I just remembered i bought a gallon of peach juice in fredericksburg a while back... 

I'm hitting the stall for this month. Went from 231.9 to 226.6 in the previous month and my weigh in today is 226.1. Ouch. Still an overall improvement but I need to keep pushing. I'm staying steady at 4 days a week at the gym with 2 days cardio and 2 days weights. I think my next move is to examine the diet. 

I've finally hit that point where going to the gym doesn't feel like a chore. I actually like going and it's not an interruption in my life. Plus the wife likes it when I come back sweaty as hell with testosterone flowing through my veins. Feels damn good guys.

• Like 1

It typically takes a few months to get in to the routine of going to the gym.  It did for me.  Now it feels weird to not go.

Also, make sure you weigh yourself at the same time every time you get on the scale.  You don't want to be throwing yourself off if you see an increase.  Most people weigh themselves right when they wake up after they take a deuce and before any coffee/food.

• Like 1