Best Pocket Knife?

retread

I guess the latest fads are axis and button locks. I like axis ok, not my favorite, but for whatever reason I have an aversion to button locks. Likely irrationally. Anyone else?

Thinking I should finally get a banter and was considering a Kizer Drop Dog and/or SOG Terminus XR. Any experience with those?

No experience with those, but for a button lock, the Kizer Original comes in a lot of options and is a good option. I have a copper one. I got it during a Mojave Outdoors sales that come up every few months. It was cheap. 5f0010040b83ea2128f4f6cee89e3ba7.jpg
30cffa84e2bbe074f4c862ff9736c12e.jpg

I finally picked up a banter. I can see how many think this is a perfect EDC knife. Very, very nice. Only complaint is access to the liner lock is not ideal. You kind of have to dig around with your thumb a bit to disengage it. But overall, excellent knife. If it was priced at $90 they would sell a bazillion of them. I got mine for $108.

d535df87831c0ac137674eabc9ba7743.jpg

On 10/31/2023 at 8:57 PM, baboso said:

So, things I ponder on when I am drunk.  Shit hits the fan situation, why would a quality 8 inch chef's knife not be a perfectly fine blade to carry?  Assuming you could get a sheath, etc.  I mean, my Wusthof Classic is finely balanced and razor sharp. 

The modern chef's knife is pretty much the same as the knives that were carried by folks on the frontier back in the colonial days. If it worked for them,  I don't see why it wouldn't work now. 

• Like 1

How is the mini grip vs the full size griptilian and mini grip vs the bugout? Thanks.

The mini grip was my go-to for a long time. At my peak I had 8 or 9 of them. Some with custom scales, and I had all the blade shapes. My favorite blade shape is the one with the spyder hole, just slightly better than the Ritter style. I think they have discontinued both which is annoying. Doug Ritter has taken his blade shape over to Hogue.

The mini grips are great for a daily carry. I forget I have one until I need it. The full size grip feels substantially larger but still lighter than say a buck knife. I notice the full size grip when I carry it mainly because it hits my keys in my pocket.

Most of my knife use is opening boxes so a mini grip is enough for me. If I were really having to work the knife, the full size would be better.

Comparing the mini grip to the bugouts I find that I like the shape of the mini grip in hand. The scales on the bugout are flatter and less ergonomic. With the flat scales they absolutely disappear in the pocket. I was skeptical as the bugout seemed like the evolution of another Benchmade with flat scales. It felt cheap and flexed tops much. Whatever they changed made them feel like a more quality product.

I like both. The mini bugout probably gets carried most out of those.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I finally picked up a banter. I can see how many think this is a perfect EDC knife. Very, very nice. Only complaint is access to the liner lock is not ideal. You kind of have to dig around with your thumb a bit to disengage it. But overall, excellent knife. If it was priced at $90 they would sell a bazillion of them. I got mine for $108.

d535df87831c0ac137674eabc9ba7743.jpg

I have the dark green version. You’re right it’s almost perfect. It was designed by a former blade hq staffer that used to do their YouTube talks “what is up guys”.

Which is why if find it bizarre they did not sculpt out some of the g10 opposite the liner lock to allow easier access. It’s the only drawback to the knife.
  • Like 1

I was skeptical as the bugout seemed like the evolution of another Benchmade with flat scales. It felt cheap and flexed tops much. Whatever they changed made them feel like a more quality product.

The knife I was thinking of was the 530 / 531 Pardue. Zero ergonomics, just two flat slabs and not much grip.

The 535 Bugout doesn’t feel premium but it doesn’t feel cheap and the scales have decent grip.

On 11/3/2023 at 8:16 PM, GottaB said:

Benchmade update. This is most of them. I liked the bailout a lot more than I thought. It’s bigger than the bugout but not notably so in the pocket.

3d10867399909886be3af8cb82c0d1c3.jpg

Do you have a Tagged Out? The size is slightly larger than my Bugout but it's still a featherweight which I like. They've got a new model with S45vn, G10 and a thumb stud. Fucking $270 though, Jesus H.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIu

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

With the quality coming out of China, it’s getting harder to justify those prices. I know it’s likely a USA made knife, but that is t a sticking point for me.

Beginning to wonder about this, with all of the research I'm doing on knives these days because of this stupid thread. Seems even a USA company could build a quality knife and undercut some of these prices. 

Maybe a little bit of "over-quality" plus "made in USA?"

Beginning to wonder about this, with all of the research I'm doing on knives these days because of this stupid thread. Seems even a USA company could build a quality knife and undercut some of these prices. 
Maybe a little bit of "over-quality" plus "made in USA?"

Typically it seems that certain brands love to combine the made in USA with better materials. Naturally that will drive the price up a bit.

However, it seems like several Chinese brands are using the exact factories, and apparently in recent years, similar QA/QC standards. Lube makes a titanium with 14C28N steel for $100 (shipped). You take that same knife and throw a benchmade logo on it and it would be $175 if not more.

I would say the last 10 Chinese, budget friendly knives I have bought have been very well made and built.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

Seems even a USA company could build a quality knife and undercut some of these prices. 

Hogue is doing a decent job. The Deka is priced below the Benchmade Bugout and it's a better knife in every aspect. They just need to expand their product line.

Edit - I will confess that I recently accidentally ran over my Bugout with my Jeep and the motherfucker did not skip a beat. I have the CF Elite with the tougher scales and an added titanium backspacer.

Edited by smuggs
  • Hook 'Em 1

What EDC knives do y'all like at $100 or less? Thanks

WE Knife Banter (look a few posts above). It’s $108 but you can find discounts.

Petrified Fish Mini Beluga

OKnife Rabato 3

CJRB Pyrite (I don’t think I like button locks, but this is a clean design and functional).

That’s a good start. I do like my Kubey knives, but they are kind of heavy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Do you have a Tagged Out? The size is slightly larger than my Bugout but it's still a featherweight which I like. They've got a new model with S45vn, G10 and a thumb stud. Fucking $270 though, Jesus H.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL2JlbmNobWFkZS1rbml2ZXMvaW1hZ2VzL0JNMTU1MzZfMS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6IHsicmVzaXplIjogeyJ3aWR0aCI6IDc2MCwiaGVpZ2h0IjogNDE1LCJmaXQiOiAiY29udGFpbiIsImJhY2tncm91bmQiOiB7InIiOiAyNTUsImciOiAyNTUsImIiOiAyNTUsImFscGhhIjogMX19fX0=

No on the tagged out. I’m not really interested in that one. My wallet agrees.

Give it a few months and I might change my mind.

What EDC knives do y'all like at $100 or less? Thanks

Also, what are your requirements for EDC? I can be pretty picky about certain features, like a deep carry clip. If a knife doesn’t have a true deep carry clip or can easily swap it the clip for one, I won’t buy it. I also think that an EDC blade (especially since I work in an office) should be 2.5-3.25”. I also don’t like when a knife looks like it was designed to be sold in a gas station.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I also think that an EDC blade (especially since I work in an office) should be 2.5-3.25”. I also don’t like when a knife looks like it was designed to be sold in a gas station.

x2 on these points. My handle doesn't need to look like a dragon

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Spiderco is a very good brand. I just cannot get over the giant hole and hump. Visual nails on the chalkboard for me, though I bet it has great functionality. 

I have one and agree. Also feel like the handle length is a bit much for EDC. My favorite Spyderco is the Sage I in tatanium. It’s an excellent EDC, but not $100.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Also, what are your requirements for EDC? I can be pretty picky about certain features, like a deep carry clip. If a knife doesn’t have a true deep carry clip or can easily swap it the clip for one, I won’t buy it. I also think that an EDC blade (especially since I work in an office) should be 2.5-3.25”. I also don’t like when a knife looks like it was designed to be sold in a gas station.

Thanks all for the replies.

Seeing the Kizer GottaB posted and the Banter you posted got my mind going. Leaning towards the Banter but going to log off from the computer for awhile and hope the feeling goes away for buying another knife.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies.
Seeing the Kizer GottaB posted and the Banter you posted got my mind going. Leaning towards the Banter but going to log off from the computer for awhile and hope the feeling goes away for buying another knife.

I have a Kizer mini roach that I really like. But it’s a tiny bit tacticool for edc I think. It’s a hell of a slicer though and fun to fidget with.

My understanding is Kizer makes the OKnife.

any of you ever dye your scales? I'm down a rabbit hole right now I hate this thread

I have on a couple occasions. I got a clearance yellow spyderco and used dye to make it orange. Similarly took a clearance pink to purple/black. Twice was enough for me.

I moved on to buying custom scales from users on bladeforums, flytanium, AWT and others.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have on a couple occasions. I got a clearance yellow spyderco and used dye to make it orange. Similarly took a clearance pink to purple/black. Twice was enough for me.

I moved on to buying custom scales from users on bladeforums, flytanium, AWT and others.

Ever buy any scales from this guy in Germany? I love to just look at his gallery.

https://cuscadi.de

I bought one for a grip and one for a PM II. I found out that I love how micarta looks when new, but not how dirty looking it becomes if you handle the knife a lot. All the oils in the hands. It’s a shame because they were very high quality.

43010e5075c47d5f5c9ca1de5ddc8f31.jpg

036528162b8e022b70bb3effc2cdfcf2.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ever buy any scales from this guy in Germany? I love to just look at his gallery.

https://cuscadi.de

I bought one for a grip and one for a PM II. I found out that I love how micarta looks when new, but not how dirty looking it becomes if you handle the knife a lot. All the oils in the hands. It’s a shame because they were very high quality.

43010e5075c47d5f5c9ca1de5ddc8f31.jpg

036528162b8e022b70bb3effc2cdfcf2.jpg

Yes. I did. When I started scale swapping there were only a couple people doing it (cuscadi, DoaT, and Keyman). Slowly found others that were cheaper than Cuscadi.

I bought a used set off a BF member at some point. They always looked really good.

Ultimately sold them because they were easy to get good money for them. I regret it now.
  • Like 1

So my EDC knife needs sharpening pretty bad, but I was in a hurry last weekend when I was going hunting, so I just grabbed a knife that had a pretty good edge out of the box of knives I got from my grandfather when he passed away and slipped it in my pocket. Well, last night I was laying on the couch and it fell out of my pocket, so I looked it up. Apparently I've been just casually carrying around quite a collectible.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/7/2023 at 1:38 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Typically it seems that certain brands love to combine the made in USA with better materials. Naturally that will drive the price up a bit.

However, it seems like several Chinese brands are using the exact factories, and apparently in recent years, similar QA/QC standards. Lube makes a titanium with 14C28N steel for $100 (shipped). You take that same knife and throw a benchmade logo on it and it would be $175 if not more.

I would say the last 10 Chinese, budget friendly knives I have bought have been very well made and built.

Yes, China has really upped their QC game. They were quietly making a lot of knives for western companies, and a fair amount of junk on their own. 

Now they have adopted western standards for their own products and they are damn good. 

It is kind of the MO in China. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 7:19 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So my EDC knife needs sharpening pretty bad, but I was in a hurry last weekend when I was going hunting, so I just grabbed a knife that had a pretty good edge out of the box of knives I got from my grandfather when he passed away and slipped it in my pocket. Well, last night I was laying on the couch and it fell out of my pocket, so I looked it up. Apparently I've been just casually carrying around quite a collectible.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Any idea how old?

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Standing in line at a gas station and the dude in front of me turn around, gives me this and say merry Christmas.  Cool. 

IMG_1306.jpeg

I had something similar happen to me once.  A temporarily non-housed person tossed it in the floorboard of my truck and said, you keep this.  Ehhh, ok.  

Narrator: it was not kept. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

• 2 weeks later...

So . . . I'm a big fan of the Victorinox Swiss Army Cadet in alox.  (Frankly, I'm a fan of just about any Victorinox SAK, but I loooooove the Cadet.)  It's so well made and packs so much utility into a small, tidy package.  I have three because a couple times I thought I had lost one, so I ordered another and then the original re-appeared later.  It's a great knife to slip into a suit pocket or have at the office when you don't want to freak co-workers out if you need a blade for some reason.     

For Xmas, someone gave me a Victorinox Bantam in alox as a kind of stocking stuffer, and this thing is even sweeter than the Cadet.  It's even slimmer and has just about the same amount of utility.  It drops the nail file/nail cleaner tool (which I barely use anyway) and combines the can opener/bottle opener tools into one.  Just a fantastic piece of equipment for only a little over $20.

image.thumb.png.5d14a512609cacb32394820addf7a5a7.png

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

So . . . I'm a big fan of the Victorinox Swiss Army Cadet in alox.  (Frankly, I'm a fan of just about any Victorinox SAK, but I loooooove the Cadet.)  It's so well made and packs so much utility into a small, tidy package.  I have three because a couple times I thought I had lost one, so I ordered another and then the original re-appeared later.  It's a great knife to slip into a suit pocket or have at the office when you don't want to freak co-workers out if you need a blade for some reason.     

For Xmas, someone gave me a Victorinox Bantam in alox as a kind of stocking stuffer, and this thing is even sweeter than the Cadet.  It's even slimmer and has just about the same amount of utility.  It drops the nail file/nail cleaner tool (which I barely use anyway) and combines the can opener/bottle opener tools into one.  Just a fantastic piece of equipment for only a little over $20.

image.thumb.png.5d14a512609cacb32394820addf7a5a7.png

Also a huge fan of the Cadet, hard to believe anything useful could be slimmer.  I am rather a fan of the nail file, which also makes a passable phillips-head.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also a huge fan of the Cadet, hard to believe anything useful could be slimmer.  I am rather a fan of the nail file, which also makes a passable phillips-head.

While the Cadet still rocks, that little Bantam is definitely useful and even slimmer.  But if you like the nail file component and use it occasionally, you may want to just stick with the Cadet.  I seldom use the nail file thingy.    

On 11/7/2023 at 11:49 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

With the quality coming out of China, it’s getting harder to justify those prices. I know it’s likely a USA made knife, but that is t a sticking point for me.

ISWYDT

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/5/2024 at 5:21 PM, GottaB said:

96a224b1048d458a9084b78dfa4d1d12.jpg

I don’t carry these often enough but I still like them.

Which models are we looking at there?  

I've been on a bit of a SAK kick lately.  In addition to the alox Bantam upthread a bit, I picked up a Compact last week.  I had resisted buying one for quite a while because of the price -- you can get much better bang for the buck with other models, IMO.  But the tool set in the Compact has always intrigued me, and I finally bought one recently with a gift card. 

I don’t know the model names.

Three are different colors of the same model.

The green and bluish ones are released from SwissBianco who did limited runs of alox scales. I’m unsure if they still do. These are ten years old.

b8c7ba066be098037cbb115bf17170a4.jpg

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, ChickenNuggets said:

I really want this knife... any experience with Chris Reeves or Tanto blades?

Sebenza 31 Box Elder Burl Tanto – Chris Reeve Knives

Sebbies are great. I’ve had 5 or 6. Sold most, I still have the Insingo (wharncliff) blade version. Actually carried it today. Also have an Mnandi, and his chef’s knife.

mine is a 21, but heard great things about the 31 as well. They are the bar which all other folders are compared against. Get one.

(I’d do it in a different blade shape, as I find the tanto pretty useless for anything other than stabbing).

the Insingo is the best slicer. Hands down. Why I still have one. Drop point is closely behind.

heres the one thing I will say. Once you justify the Sebbie, it will be hard not to justify lots of semi-customs or customs. Hope your wallet is prepared. 

• Hook 'Em 1